Curry Recipe

Curry Recipe

Thu, 04/23/2009 - 14:37 by Aido in response to REM cooking

Man, you fellas are really on about this curry thing.  I'm going to be honest, the Chicken-And-Pumpkin curry wasn't nearly as good as the beef curry I usually make.  So, I'm just going to give you the regular beef recipe.  Really.  It's so much better.

I make regular Japanese-style curry.  It's what my folks make, and it's the only variation of curry I know how to do.  If you're going to make Japanese style curry, this is really all you need:

S&B Brand Golden Curry.  It's full of salt, oil, curry spices, flour, salt, and lots of MSG.  I am not going to make any pretense that it is good for you.  It is not.  But it is also delicious.  This or something similar can be found in the International Aisle of most supermarkets.  I use a 4 quart slow cooker and will use a whole 8.4oz. box.  Sometimes a bit of another box.  (for vegetarians: I'm pretty certain that there are no meat products in the ingredients)

Here is my regular recipe for curry.  This makes enough curry for maybe 5 or more hungry people, with leftovers.  This is an excellent "bachelor" recipe.  It's quick to put together, you don't have to watch it, you really can't overcook it unless you're trying... there are not many ways to mess this up.

INGREDIENTS:
(x1) 8.4 oz. box S&B Golden Curry (I also keep another partial box on hand in case the flavor is too mild)
(x1) medium sized onion, cut into eighths or smaller
(x~3) russet potatoes or whatever potatoes you want, peeled and cut into large bite-sized chunks
(x~3) large carrots, peeled and cut into large bite-sized chunks
(x1) beef chuck roast, or whatever boneless meat you can get ahold of.  Do not trim the fat, or trim it minimally.  Cut into large bite-sized chunks.
A splash of milk or cream toward the end of cooking, if I feel like it.

NOTE: My group of friends-- save Ananth-- are big meateaters.  The beef is the most popular part of the curry.  I buy the biggest, fattiest, cheapest roast I can (~4lbs if I can).  Do not worry about the fat, it'll melt into the stew after 6-8 hours of cooking.

INSTRUCTIONS:
PUT EVERYTHING INTO THE SLOW COOKER.  COVER WITH JUST ENOUGH WATER TO COVER THE INGREDIENTS.  LEAVE IT ON LOW.  GO TO WORK.  COME BACK 6-8 HOURS LATER.  STIR. EAT.  YOUR HOUSE WILL SMELL LIKE CURRY FOR DAYS.

If you want, you can eat the curry plain.  Traditionally, you eat the curry over Japanese sticky rice.  But you can also put the curry over regular white rice, ramen noodles, spaghetti, or whatever else you might want.

For the Chicken-And-Pumpkin curry, I cut three chicken breasts into chunks, and microwaved, peeled, and basically puréed some acorn squash (pumpkin isn't in season :/ ) and then followed the same instructions as the beef curry.  The problem was that the curry overpowered the acorn squash - it more or less tasted like regular chicken curry.

I'm going to say again, beef curry is seriously much better.  Beef fat makes the stew much richer.  Also, you don't have to stay on this recipe.  Feel free to add things like tomatoes, frozen vegetables, eggplant, plain yogurt, coconut milk, fruits, nuts, whatever to curry.  There's no right way to make it.

This is totally the wrong season for it, but this is an ideal winter meal.  It's the stick-to-your-ribs kind of warm.  And it'll keep in your freezer for-ev-er.

Comments

yum

Comment by Pikman (not verified) Thu, 04/23/2009 - 14:50

Sounds good! Although I do hate onions... but I'm pretty sure its one of those key ingredients. I'd love to try it with sticky rice :d

onions and whatnot

Comment by Aido Thu, 04/23/2009 - 14:55

Yeah, the onion actually does add a lot to the taste.  :/  You can use a smaller onion and dice it instead -- it'll disintegrate into the broth that way!

Sounds good. I will have to

Comment by Pikman (not verified) Thu, 04/23/2009 - 16:35

Sounds good. I will have to try it one day :]

Comment by ProjektSoul (not verified) Thu, 04/23/2009 - 15:29

Awesome! Thanks for the recipe, I'll definitely have to try this with my crock pot soon! :) And as always I love the comics too!

Thank you! This will make a

Comment by Katherine (not verified) Thu, 04/23/2009 - 15:31

Thank you! This will make a nice break from studying for finals.

Golden Curry is my favorite

Comment by Tanuki (not verified) Thu, 04/23/2009 - 16:01

Golden Curry is my favorite ingredient in my entire kitchen! I'm completely obsessed with curry udon, and I am absolutely going to attempt some mish-mash of your recipe the moment the weather cools down a bit.

Or maybe right now. I'm pretty hungry right now.

Curry

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 04/23/2009 - 16:51

My wife makes curry from time to time (she is Japanese) and I always love coming home and smelling the house after it's been cooking a while. Also if you add in a can of crushed tomatoes it adds quite a bit of body to the curry especially if it's thin. Great stuff.

Curry!

Comment by Bryan (not verified) Thu, 04/23/2009 - 17:35

Thanks a lot! What would you rate it on the dream scale, yuko?

STICKS TO YOUR RIBS?

Comment by Propaganda Radio (not verified) Thu, 04/23/2009 - 18:43

Holy shit, I thought I was imagining this lady on QVC say "Peanut Butter sticks to your ribs." My friend and I couldn't stop laughing.

That's an actual saying?

STICKS TO YOUR RIBS INDEED...

Comment by the_DECk (not verified) Thu, 04/23/2009 - 18:52

He's the best explanation I could find:

To last long and fortify one well; to sustain one even in the coldest weather. This oatmeal ought to stick to your ribs. You need something hearty on a cold day like this. I don't want just a salad! I want something that will stick to my ribs.

If something that you eat sticks to your ribs, it makes you feel you have eaten a lot That Beef Curry really sticks to your ribs.

Johnny Wander | Updates Tuesday and Thursday

Comment by surgery (not verified) Thu, 05/30/2013 - 10:17

Hey there! Someone in my Myspace group shared this website with
us so I came to check it out. I'm definitely loving the information. I'm bookmarking and
will be tweeting this to my followers! Great blog and brilliant design.

Japanese sticky rice recipe

Comment by OrcishIncubus (not verified) Thu, 04/23/2009 - 18:44

If you're looking for a Japanese sticky rice recipe, I found this while browsing Hulu, I tried to make it once, but I'm not the best cook, perhaps one of other better chefs can make use of it more:

Oh man... must make beef

Comment by the_DECk (not verified) Thu, 04/23/2009 - 18:46

Oh man... must make beef curry... *drool* Lets see, I don't think I have any of the ingredients, or a slow cooker or a... "Crock-Pot", off to a poor start... I vow to make it someday!

I like me some curry.

Comment by Chris D. (not verified) Thu, 04/23/2009 - 19:03

Usually I end up eating Thai style curry (or Thai-made indian-style curry). Never been disappointed. I think I just like the flavor of curry.

Gonna have to bookmark the page for quick reference when I I surprise my friends by making curry. They usually do it with curry paste, a wok, and coconut milk and various other groceries.

Mmmm....want curry now.

That acutally sounds pretty good

Comment by McClaud (not verified) Thu, 04/23/2009 - 20:23

I may have to try it.

I wonder if leftovers can be eaten cold?

I'm sort of torn by this

Comment by Reynard (not verified) Thu, 04/23/2009 - 20:27

I'm sort of torn by this comic. I really do like curry (my mom makes a lamb curry to *die* for!), but it tends to be rather harsh on my lower digestive tract. I'm just not sure I'd be able to handle it...

If you can't handle the spice

Comment by RazedToast (not verified) Thu, 04/23/2009 - 21:28

If you cant handle the spice but love the flavor, just use more milk. It won't be a problem for sweet Japanese curry. However Indian curry tend to use more cooking oil. Oil just makes the heat stick to your tongue.

I just made impromptu curry

Comment by Matthew the Great! (not verified) Thu, 04/23/2009 - 21:44

I just made impromptu curry myself, although mine was apricot, mango, and chicken, and was amazingly delicious!

I'd post the full recipe, but I have no idea how much of what I used. I could do it again, probably, but only because I think in proportions and thicknesses (half as much, 1/3 full, lightly dusted with ginger, etc.)

I made enough for four servings, if that means anything to anyone...

Anyway, at least the ingredients:

Basmati Rice: Rice (regular, nothing special except delicious smell basmati rice.) I add butter, but this is not necessary.Make enough to feed your peeps.

Chicken: Just take some plain, white chicken breast, season with salt and pepper (I like sea salt and white pepper, but any salt/pepper could be used, based on preference), and grill or pan fry it to edible perfection.

Sauce: For a base, I used Looza Apricot Nectar:

Any Apricot juice may be used, however, provided it is sweet and thick. In a pinch, apricot jelly could be combined with water (about 5:1) for a similar effect (but not as delicious).

anyway, to continue:
Dried Apricots
White Grape Raisins (dried currants or even Craizins could be interesting)
Salted Cashews (unsalted can be used, but it's not as tasty, and just adding salt doesn't work)
Red Curry (Coriander, Cumin, red chili, and Cardamom)
Diced Mango
Quality ginger (it doesn't really matter if it's powder or minced, as long as you don't try to be "hardcore" and grind candied or pickled ginger into it)
Crushed Red Pepper.

Optional:
Some form of garlic
Honey
Green Peas
Diced Tomatoes (I was surprised that I even tried this, but it was interesting in a very good way)
Blackstrap Molasses (enough to barely coat a tea spoon)

Pour about 2/3 as much nectar (or substitute) as you you did rice+water into a saucepan and bring to a boil, then simmer on low heat.

Add dried apricots, white raisins, salted cashews, Mangoes, a decent dusting of cumin, chili powder/crushed red chili, coriander, and cardamom, then add ginger and red pepper to taste. A bit of garlic is also nice (as my dad pointed out while trying to hijack my meal), or, conversely, honey.

Make sure it tastes how you want it to, then stir everything together until it thickens out. (it should take about 20 minutes [+-5])

1: Put rice on plate
2: Put chicken on rice
3: put sauce on chicken
4: eat the **** out of it.

Apologies for my amateurish recipe. I hope I don't indirectly burn down your kitchen with poor instructions.

oh man that's just how I

Comment by Katie (not verified) Thu, 04/23/2009 - 22:10

oh man that's just how I make my roast but I use French's Beef Stew mix and let it to stew for 16 hours. I'm so trying it with the curry mix.

Thanks!

Comment by Jena (not verified) Thu, 04/23/2009 - 23:00

Thanks for uploading the recipe!

I'm sure if you actually had pumpkin, it wouldn't get overpowered as much by the curry.

My sister-in-law makes awesome curry, and I keep trying to replicate it but can't for some reason. It's a yellow/red curry with chicken, tofu sheets, and potatoes.

Yippee!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 04/23/2009 - 23:05

YAY YUKO!

The "pumpkin" part

Comment by Elizabeth B (not verified) Thu, 04/23/2009 - 23:58

I thought you were supposed to peel the butternut squash/pumpkin and cut it into chunks rather than pureeing it. Plainly I have been carrying a Wrong Idea around in my head for a while. Oops.

Curry

Comment by Kei (not verified) Fri, 04/24/2009 - 03:45

I never seen curry made with a slow cooker before. My family has been used to cooking it over a stove. I prefer using apples to make it sweeter.

What about Ananth?

Comment by DeanBear (not verified) Fri, 04/24/2009 - 05:46

Did you make a vegetarian curry for Ananth?

Vegetarians are go!

Comment by Naktarr (not verified) Fri, 04/24/2009 - 05:58

You weren't sure about the curry mix being free of meat products, but I spy with my glass covered eye the words "NO MEAT CONTAINED" on the front, so I'd say its pretty safe.

By glass covered eye I mean my glasses, spectacles, whatever you feel like calling them ;)

Yuko, You have curried favor with this favored curry

Comment by Virtual Bob (not verified) Fri, 04/24/2009 - 06:20

Thank you so much for posting the recipe. I am going to crockpot a variant tomorrow. I'm using acorn and spaghetti squash, some craisins, and a dash of cinnamon & ginger. I'm also using a brisket of beef (you're right, beef fat does make for a richer broth).
Yuko Yummy Dream Curry (sounds like a manga title) is now offically in my recipe library.

My Secret ingredient

Comment by Nate82 (not verified) Fri, 04/24/2009 - 08:23

I found the ultimate secret ingredient when I substituted V8 juice for water ( same amount you put into your receipe ) save for maybe a cup or two of water. I get the 6 packs of V8 which can do about two different batches of curry. MMmmmmmmm... I've got to make some tonight though.

Thanks for all the inspiration!

Comment by EiceBleu (not verified) Fri, 04/24/2009 - 08:42

Wow, I've had curry all wrong (I guessed)--I've been making it as a meat&gravy-w/veggie type preparation instead of a stew, though the results are similar.

All these curry ideas will be so useful to me!

Is that the red slowcooker with the metal sides :3

Comment by Phatcat (not verified) Fri, 04/24/2009 - 09:49

If so I have the exact same one.
Slow cookers rock for lazy cooks! :D

You make me sad that I'm a

Comment by Poor Kid (not verified) Fri, 04/24/2009 - 13:05

You make me sad that I'm a poor college kid with no slow cooker/crock pot

On the subject of richness.

Comment by This one person (not verified) Fri, 04/24/2009 - 13:52

If you had a problem with the Pumpkin and Chicken one not being rich enough, you could've added some coconut milk at the end, instead of just cream or milk.

It's awesome if you add enough of it to actually flavor the curry.

Of course that's more Filipino/Thai curry than Japanese, but it's the only one I know how to make.. >_>;

Yummy!

Comment by Jessie (not verified) Fri, 04/24/2009 - 15:52

I'll have to make this sometime! I really do love curry and I think this would be perfect for the weather here where I live! It's been really cold lately ;___; and it's making my roommates and I sad... but I think this will lift their moods (and mine too :D). It sounds really, REALLY good!

Curry!

Comment by Ghost (not verified) Fri, 04/24/2009 - 17:30

That sounds Brilliant. I'll have to try it. thanks for providing the recipe. I've never tried a japanese style curry, only the indian and Pakistani varieties (and sub varieties.)

どうも有り難う御座いました。

Thank you Yuko!

Comment by Chris (not verified) Sat, 04/25/2009 - 10:19

I'll definitely give Chicken Pumpkin curry a try once the fall comes around and pumpkins are in season (I've been making the normal varieties like beef curry for a while). Thanks for putting up with our silly demands ^_^

Vegetarians say yay!

Comment by Cassie-Jo (not verified) Sat, 04/25/2009 - 10:37

I've never had curry before but have heard much of its fabled deliciousness. I'm definitely gonna try this one out; thanks Yuko!

I wonder if vegetarians could substitute something for the beef or just leave the beef out completely? :| I know nothing about cooking or curry.

Meat substitute = Tofu

Comment by Chris D. (not verified) Sun, 04/26/2009 - 09:36

I'm not a vegetarian, but I've had tofu instead of meat in a curry before. It was still quite good. You can fry the tofu a little to firm it up some.

The upside to tofu is that it picks up the flavor of what it's in, and if you like curry, you just get more curry flavor.

Nice

Comment by Aperture (not verified) Sat, 04/25/2009 - 14:20

I love Golden Curry

Variant

Comment by Phil (not verified) Sat, 04/25/2009 - 17:40

I use Golden Curry also. But I replace about 1/2 of the water with Dr Pepper and add extra cinnamon. Yummy!

smells

Comment by E (not verified) Sat, 04/25/2009 - 20:31

this has nothing to do with the above comic, and more to do with comic 34 (conrad has no sense of smell). Apparently there is a National Sense of Smell Day. Here's a web page about the 2006 Sense of Smell day, it was the most recent I could find: http://www.senseofsmell.org/about/nssd06.php

Just wanted to share.

Rainbow Curry.

Comment by Steffox (not verified) Sun, 04/26/2009 - 03:25

That is totally my favourite brand of Curry block! I must try using more gourds in my curry, I've never tried that... hmmm.

If anyone is interested, here's my whacked out curry recipe (using Golden Curry)

RAINBOW CHICKEN CURRY:
I call it that because I try to get as many things in it as possible.
Red: red pepper
Orange: Orange pepper, mushrooms (?are those orange?)
Yellow: Chicken, Onion, Bamboo shoot and/or water chestnuts (sometimes also potato and peanuts)
Green: Celery, Green pepper, green onion, sometimes broccoli
Blue: there is no food that is blue. :(
Purple: red cabbage
dice and shred to taste and pretty much make curry out of it. I know traditionally this stuff isn't SO MANY vegetables, but you can make HUGE curries out of this. We've also done it using beef and goat meat along with the chicken. :D
Hope somebody enjoys it now that I've released it into the internet. The more stuff you get in there, the better, I think...

this comment has nothing to

Comment by jennifer (not verified) Sun, 04/26/2009 - 12:49

this comment has nothing to do with curry. it is more focused on the last sentence. or more specific, the last word.

i love the sandlot.

FOR-EEEV-UUUUUR!!

Comment by conrad Mon, 04/27/2009 - 21:00

FOR-EEEV-UUUUUR!!

Delicious!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 05/26/2009 - 14:01

This comic looked so delicious, I went out and bought a packet of golden curry. I'm gonna make some beef curry tonight :> thanks for the cooking tips!

Alavert

Comment by Fronde (not verified) Wed, 05/27/2009 - 10:45

Good afternoon. You couldn't even prove the White House staff sane beyond a reasonable doubt. Help me! Need information about: Alavert. I found only this - Side effects of alavert. Baby bonus synthroid and getting pregnant. Synthroid and natural supplements for hypothyroidism synthroid is a medicine prescribed by doctors to treat hypothyroidism. Thank :rolleyes: Fronde from Republic.

Meat Ingredients in Curry

Comment by Changewinds (not verified) Sun, 06/07/2009 - 23:36

I believe most curries are made with beef fat and lard. That's what gives it that nice oily texture and rich taste. I haven't looked on the ingredient list on a box lately, they may have changed, but I doubt it. Pumpkin sounds like a great ingredient in curry, in chunks though, rather than pureed.

Delicious Kare!

Comment by PaperMutt (not verified) Tue, 06/23/2009 - 14:49

I've never made curry in a crock-pot, but I've made tons of curry, even Thai and Indian-style.

My favorite part is the carrots and potatoes in Japanese curry, so I tend to omit the meat altogether, so I add extra potato and carrot to make up for the lack of meat.

Also, a really great curry mix is House's Vermont Curry. It's sweeter and has lots of flavor, as it has honey and apples already in it. (I'm making up a batch with Vermont mix right now Xd)

Anyways, thank you so much, Yuko! And I love your comics. You're so awesome. :>

Ahh, have I used the hell

Comment by Rei (not verified) Thu, 07/23/2009 - 12:13

Ahh, have I used the hell out of S&B Golden Curry...
As well as Vermont! [Apple-Honey, right? Throwing a chunk of chocolate and a dash of instant coffee crystals in there produces great results. Though it almost exclusively works with chicken.]

After learning to cook two kinds of Indian curry, standard Japanese curry, and an attempt at Thai, I have purchased an enormous frying pan for this purpose, as it decreases cooking time to ~2-3 hours.

[Also, peas and mushrooms are love in curry, butter and milk can be used as soon as you start cooking {if cooking in a frying pan}, pork is excellent, as long as it's not cheap and rubbery - though marinating it first can produce amazing results, and if you want to go wild, I enjoy throwing egg in at the end.]

I'm... a terrible curry addict T_T
As such, the lingering scent will drive me crazy, or make me cook more in the following days.

Ah, here's an amusing fact.
I originally learned to cook curry from a little manga called Addicted to Curry.

/endcurryrant

///rEI

And on that last note, here

Comment by Rei (not verified) Thu, 07/23/2009 - 12:19

And on that last note, here are those recipes and cooking advice, including pumpkin curry!:

///rEI

ohmygod.

Comment by Matt (not verified) Wed, 09/23/2009 - 16:41

This stew smells like it's going to be the tastiest thing ever. It's making my entire house smell wonderful. Thanks for the awesome recipe, Yuko, and thanks for the awesome comic. I'm having a blast reading it :)

Fajerwerki

Comment by fajerwerki sklep (not verified) Sat, 12/19/2009 - 09:53

awsome topic, just bookmarked your article for future referrence