It's not an orca ...

It's not an orca ...

Tue, 04/28/2009 - 00:12 by Ananth in response to the thought that counts

(Quick note: Phoenix Down shirts shipped today! Sorry for the delay!)

Yuko's birthday was on Saturday! She had a small group of people at the last minute. Everyone ate beef curry, and then she made them drink and watch Twilight (possibly the only way to get through that movie). By the way, that's Jamie in the first panel - he reviews a number of things over at Angry Zen Master, and he's also the illustrator for Erfworld, one of Time Magazine's 2007 graphic novels of the year. Anyway!

Yuko expressed her desire for an ice cream cake earlier in the week. I had been planning to bake her a cake, but I have no idea how to make an ice cream cake ... near as I can tell, you just flip a carton of ice cream upside down, strip off the container, and start frosting it. The cake I got said "Happy Birthday Yuko!", but somehow that just didn't seem like enough. Now, if you know Yuko, you know she might like dragons or something ... so I attempted to draw one onto the cake with icing we had in the apartment. It, uh ... didn't go so well ... By the time we got around to serving the cake, the dragon looked like a puddle of blood. D:

There's always next year ...

Comments

Dra-gon. I don't do that tongue thing.

Comment by Softspoken (not verified) Tue, 04/28/2009 - 00:20

It's the thought that counts, right?

Poor Ananth :P

Comment by OrcishIncubus (not verified) Tue, 04/28/2009 - 00:27

Poor Ananth :P

8D happy birthday Yuko, may

Comment by Vennificus (not verified) Tue, 04/28/2009 - 00:30

8D happy birthday Yuko, may the internet gods visit greater pageviews upon your sites, and the gaming gods level up all your characters to a point you desire.

Happy birthday, Yuko!

Comment by Elizabeth B (not verified) Tue, 04/28/2009 - 01:13

Awww, Ananth, it's the thought that counts! How sweet of you to decorate Aido's cake for her. I will make my husband read this before my birthday next month. ^_^

Icing

Comment by Louis (not verified) Tue, 04/28/2009 - 01:31

We tried to make a cake for our mom once... Worked perfectly up until the writing-on-the-top part. My brother said that he couldn't get the icing out of the piping thingy, so I made it what I thought was a little bit runnier, and it ended up just pooling out and smothering the cake in zigzags and vague circles. It was still delicious though.

Don't think I don't see that Drifloon, either. That would be so cool to have at a birthday party, even if nobody else knew what it was. <3

I was born a day after you!

Comment by t//B (not verified) Tue, 04/28/2009 - 01:42

I was born a day after you! Possibly a few years after, though.

A story to make you feel better

Comment by Mel (not verified) Tue, 04/28/2009 - 02:59

Awww, how sweet. Happy belated birthday, Yuko!

As for the story, a friend and I wanted to bake a cake for my roommate when I was a sophomore in college. We had it all planned out: our other friend was to keep her busy while we went to the upperclass dorm (because for some reason, we are NOT allowed to use the oven in the girls' dorm) to bake a fabulous Funshine Bear Care Bears cake (her favorite). Well, what anyone neglected to tell us was that the oven in said dorm was malfunctioning, so the cake did not cook evenly. When my friend removed the cake from the oven (complete with overdone edges) and flipped the pan, the center of the cake fell out all over the table in a gooey mess. To fix it, we filled the hole with an entire can of icing, creating a cake guaranteed to make you need insulin shots. She loved it.

Hahaha oh my god it's a

Comment by Ananth Tue, 04/28/2009 - 10:06

Hahaha oh my god it's a diabetes cake D:

The thought DOES count

Comment by Oxy (not verified) Tue, 04/28/2009 - 03:31

I bet Yuko could laugh about the puddle-of-blood-dragon-orca, that´s worth A LOT in my book :)

Oh, and happy belated birthday Yuko!

Oooh, I see it now. The wing

Comment by w1ng740 (not verified) Tue, 04/28/2009 - 03:36

Oooh, I see it now. The wing and tail got stuck to the main body, huh? Good work Ananth, thoughts count.

B-but ... I only drew the

Comment by Ananth Tue, 04/28/2009 - 10:04

B-but ... I only drew the head ...

This made me laugh so much.

Comment by MarkyMark (not verified) Tue, 04/28/2009 - 12:02

This made me laugh so much. But it's ok Ananth, you're a writer not an artist. Maybe next time just write the word "dragon."

I gave it serious thought

Comment by Ananth Wed, 04/29/2009 - 10:28

I gave it serious thought this time! But then I chose poorly.

Puddle of Blood

Comment by jGolrathF (not verified) Tue, 04/28/2009 - 04:49

Speaking strictly for only myself I would love having a puddle of Orca-Dragon blood on my cake...or any kind of blood really. But its kind of a weird thought for people-that-are-not-me's birthday cakes. Think about what thought you are trying to make count man.

Also happy birthday Yuko

Happy Birthday, Yuko! I

Comment by Sigrid (not verified) Tue, 04/28/2009 - 05:07

Happy Birthday, Yuko! I have been assigned the task of reading the novel, Twilight. I will let you know.

Oh no, I just realized: do I

Comment by conrad Tue, 04/28/2009 - 10:10

Oh no, I just realized: do I have to set up a blog for you somewhere so you can accurately keep track and report on your progress?? 8D

Mom

Comment by Astrodude (not verified) Tue, 04/28/2009 - 06:07

yeah dude, she did the whole mom thing right there hehe. I saw the dragon dude, I saw it.

Comment by Ananth Wed, 04/29/2009 - 10:30

I thought I saw it too until

Comment by Katie (not verified) Wed, 04/29/2009 - 20:03

I thought I saw it too until you said that you only made the head... :) power of suggestion I suppose.

Mmmmmmm...puddle of blood dragon.....drooooool!

Comment by Vitual Bob (not verified) Tue, 04/28/2009 - 06:55

It's a Rorschach test!
I see a puddle of blood!
Uncounted rows and rows of blood crazed orcas
Waving hacksaws
Ready to heap bloody bloody distruction
On my fishy enemies
Global Domination will be mine!
Kneel before Zod!
Mwa-ha-ha-haaaaaaaaa!
Or, it COULD be a dragon.

Dude, it IS the thought that counts.
Check out cakewrecks.blogspot.com and remember...
The cake is a lie, man!

Happy Birthday

Comment by Andrei (not verified) Tue, 04/28/2009 - 07:07

Happy birthday Yuko!

So you were also born on the 25th of April? What a Date! Tschernobyl ( 1986), my Birthday.... many important things happened on this day °_°. Anyway i hope you didn't have an hangover on Sunday, i did. Not nice. Still sick......

heh cool I'm April 25, 1984

Comment by D2k (not verified) Tue, 04/28/2009 - 22:59

heh cool I'm April 25, 1984

IS THAT A DRIFLOON DID YOU

Comment by Hillary (not verified) Tue, 04/28/2009 - 07:30

IS THAT A DRIFLOON

DID YOU ACTUALLY HAVE A DRIFLOON I MUST KNOW

bessssttttt birthday party everrrrr

Yes! Mark made it with

Comment by Ananth Tue, 04/28/2009 - 10:09

Yes! Mark made it with balloons, foam, cotton and hot glue! It looks GREAT!

My drifloon gift

Comment by MarkyMark (not verified) Tue, 04/28/2009 - 12:00

Yah, the drifloon was one of the gifts I gave Yuko.

Unfortunately, I forgot how things have weight. In making the face and the fluff on top, I glued on too much stuff so it didn't float all that well ~_~

But this just means I'll hafta make another one with a larger balloon!

no wayyyyy

Comment by Rachelle (not verified) Tue, 04/28/2009 - 22:24

You are the most genius mark.
:< I want a drifloon!

Also @Yuko: Hope you like more cartoony Link! :D

Late

Comment by Kian (not verified) Tue, 04/28/2009 - 07:42

A late Happy Birthday for you, yuko!

Ice Cream cakes...

Comment by Suki (not verified) Tue, 04/28/2009 - 07:56

I'm sure there would be a recipe to make an ice cream cake online somewhere >.>... you should make a template for the dragon and like.. put icing on it..and poof comes a dragon D:
Thats how we do it at the bakery.

Is there any chance you guys

Comment by GregWebster (not verified) Tue, 04/28/2009 - 10:20

Is there any chance you guys will be publishing these? I love them so much!

Oooh poor Ananth! But at

Comment by ProjektSoul (not verified) Tue, 04/28/2009 - 10:42

Oooh poor Ananth! But at least it tasted good, right? Happy belated birthday Yuko!

(and Twilight is indeed the best comedy of the year XD)

Ice Cream Cakes

Comment by mugsi (not verified) Tue, 04/28/2009 - 11:21

You made the right choice buying one instead of baking it. Having worked at Coldstone and making a bazillion ice cream cakes there I once thought to myself, "Hey, I should do this at home! No need to dish out all that money for one of these babies!" WRONG MOVE! BAD IDEA! DO NOT PASS GO! DO NOT COLLECT $200!

The thing is that the cakes have to be baked separately, then you add the ice cream layers. This takes a lot of time, and more importantly, a freezer cold enough and powerful enough to freeze the whole mess together very well, otherwise you won't have time to frost it and you end up replacing your kitchen rug and scrubbing frosting out of the grout. :/ whoops. Sorry mom.

Oh wow! The more you know!

Comment by Ananth Wed, 04/29/2009 - 10:31

Oh wow! The more you know! Thanks for explaining, I was puzzling over this myself.

Did you get a picture of it

Comment by Enalon (not verified) Tue, 04/28/2009 - 11:36

Did you get a picture of it for CakeWrecks? :D

Cake Drawing

Comment by Stefan (not verified) Tue, 04/28/2009 - 12:21

Every year from now on you should draw something random on her cake and make her guess. At the end you make up what it is. If you're feeling nice, pretend she guessed. If you're feeling mischevious, make up something after a bunch of guesses.

Hahaha, I like this plan!

Comment by Ananth Wed, 04/29/2009 - 10:32

Hahaha, I like this plan!

Happy Birthday! :D lol,

Comment by Lizzer (not verified) Tue, 04/28/2009 - 16:51

Happy Birthday! :D

lol, Drifloon

It's...

Comment by Nameless (not verified) Tue, 04/28/2009 - 18:30

It's a martian!

Happy Birthday, Yuko!

Comment by Alica (not verified) Tue, 04/28/2009 - 18:37

Haha, poor Ananth... You look so defeated at the end.

I tried so hard!!

Comment by Ananth Wed, 04/29/2009 - 10:32

I tried so hard!!

Holy shit

Comment by lai (not verified) Tue, 04/28/2009 - 19:08

This is hilarious. I just wasted my entire time I was supposed to spend studying reading all of this. WIN.
:D

Hahaha nooo! But awesome. :D

Comment by Ananth Wed, 04/29/2009 - 10:33

Hahaha nooo! But awesome. :D Glad we can entertain!

So patronizing.

Comment by Cedstick (not verified) Tue, 04/28/2009 - 21:51

Oh, epitome.

Great comic, guys. Instant /Favourite.

Aw thanks!! :D

Comment by Ananth Wed, 04/29/2009 - 10:34

Aw thanks!! :D

On another note...

Comment by Cedstick (not verified) Tue, 04/28/2009 - 21:53

I haven't read around yet, but I'm assuming this is the Ananth, one and the same of AppleGeeks? I mean, same shady hat and hoodlum slouch. It's gotta be, right?

For sure! He's got no

Comment by Rachelle (not verified) Tue, 04/28/2009 - 22:26

For sure! He's got no eyes!

famous people or whatever! Olol!

Yes it's meeeeee

Comment by Ananth Wed, 04/29/2009 - 10:34

Yes it's meeeeee

happy birthday

Comment by Karlee (not verified) Wed, 04/29/2009 - 00:19

Happy Birthday, Yuko!

What flavour cake was it?
I agree with the people who suggested to keep the cake-decorating blob-oriented.
The most ambitious cake I decorated (apart from a blue pavlova this one crazy time...), required a big blob of blue icing in the centre - nice and simple :) It was a pool, which I 'filled' with lego people =D

It was a vanilla and

Comment by Ananth Wed, 04/29/2009 - 10:35

It was a vanilla and chocolate chip ice cream cake with a layer of chocolate cake at the bottom.

Lego people -- !! You've just given me some invaluable decorating advice, thank you!

Birthday fun

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 04/29/2009 - 13:33

Happy belated birthday Yuko! My birthday was on Saturday too. I love the comic and you and your friends' sense of humor. It always makes me laugh.

Happy birthday Yuko!