john's element is fire

john's element is fire

Wed, 04/29/2009 - 23:39 by Ananth in response to john sets more things on fire

OH MAN we cameo'd in Questionable Content! Check it out! Hahaha, Yuko looks mega cute and my sideburns are sufficiently large. Thanks Jeph!

As for today's comic, this actually happened the same day as the ants ... it was a banner day for Yuko and John. That toaster oven lived through the self-macing, thankfully, but sadly it couldn't withstand the garlic fire. To John's credit, the old toaster oven had two settings: off, and on fire.

It reminds me of a story from when I was younger - I was in elementary school, and my brother and I were over at Archer's house. We were sitting at the breakfast table, and my brother got up and went into the kitchen to check on the food. He came back and sat down at the table ... as he began to cut his waffle, he calmly informed us, "The pop-tarts are on fire." It was true.

Comments

So there was an actual FIRE

Comment by VeroJade (not verified) Wed, 04/29/2009 - 23:49

So there was an actual FIRE fire? Or just smoldering overheated-elements fire?

I now expect some sort of corny joke about Avatar any time.

Oh yes,

Comment by John Kelly (not verified) Thu, 04/30/2009 - 00:01

There absolutely was a fire. The garlic caught somehow and was burning (I could see flames through the glass), and then the paint on it started to char and smoke.

When I saw it, I unplugged it and started spraying it with water. The fire eventually went out.

I snipped the power cable just to make sure no one would ever try to use it again.

I snipped the power cable

Comment by conrad Thu, 04/30/2009 - 00:05

Needless to say, this broke my little heart. :(

It's a sad tale...

Comment by John Kelly (not verified) Thu, 04/30/2009 - 11:14

No good could come of it, only fire...

There should have been video

Comment by Jamie Noguchi (not verified) Fri, 05/01/2009 - 09:45

There should have been video of it! Flaming garlic attack!

qgbwdfzl

Comment by qgbwdfzl (not verified) Thu, 05/14/2009 - 03:36

[URL=http://cbviepki.com]jzulsqoh[/URL] djaecmdf dvubkrgf http://zjlzbsgl.com okouaqpe sjhvfnbn

qoramiil

Comment by qoramiil (not verified) Sat, 05/16/2009 - 11:06

[URL=http://knxnedxl.com]sflsrars[/URL] gthrdfmo cdpzluhd http://evntxhup.com mvonzlok xjinlhvf

onpmqelq

Comment by onpmqelq (not verified) Mon, 05/18/2009 - 20:41

[URL=http://jjckbwrh.com]eolpaoer[/URL] mrfulpdq jycgcapj http://pwobkylp.com drjxhhmz pamiofmy

phallus

Comment by phallus (not verified) Tue, 06/02/2009 - 06:09

Confidence is the sexiest thing a woman can have. It's much sexier than any body part.

Re: The Firebox

Comment by Aido Wed, 04/29/2009 - 23:53

I SHOULD NOTE: The toaster oven that we wound up accidentally immolating has always, always been a faulty piece of crap.  To the point that we'd written FIRE BOX across the top in sharpie and had been using it out on the balcony because it-- as Ananth mentioned-- had a bad tendency of setting things on fire, no matter what setting it was on.  It just so happened that it set itself on fire as well this time. >:/

Other than the toaster oven, no property was destroyed, and no one was injured-- although there was a fair amount of smoke inhalation...

ogod I hope no landlord we ever have in the future reads this comic.

so so...

Comment by Rachelle (not verified) Thu, 04/30/2009 - 20:54

so so... does this mean fire box is dead?! D:

He will live on in our hearts... much like that frozen split pea soup... ::tears::

John, next time Yuko tells

Comment by Jared (not verified) Thu, 04/30/2009 - 00:12

John, next time Yuko tells you to put something in an oven, don't listen.

Actually,

Comment by John Kelly (not verified) Thu, 04/30/2009 - 10:45

I should have listened to Yuko and used the REAL oven. I kept hoping that the toaster oven wouldn't always be catching things on fire.

But the real oven is just as scary. It has basically no temperature control and is in very poor shape. (I don't know what they pay the maintenance staff around here for because it sure isn't for maintaining or fixing anything in the apartment)

Fire aside, I am going to be a nerd here.

Comment by Enzel (not verified) Thu, 04/30/2009 - 00:40

So Yuko is playing a Zelda game on the Wii? Meaning Twilight Princess? Where they mirror-imaged the whole thing so left-handed Link is now right-handed? Yet the sword is, as it should be, in his left hand...

...not that I'm complaining.

also, toaster ovens are evil. Though our new toaster isn't much better. Then again, it could be the fact that my mom put the wine rack above it so every now and then you get the interesting stench of burning wine when you try to make waffles. (the resealed bottles drip)

Yeaaahhhh

Comment by Aido Thu, 04/30/2009 - 01:36

Yeah, I know they flipped the game for right-handed people.  I just think it's adorable that Link is supposed to be left-handed, so I drew it in.

again, not complaining. XD I

Comment by Enzel (not verified) Thu, 04/30/2009 - 02:34

again, not complaining. XD I find myself endeared to the few left-handed heroes out there. (I prefer the GC version, which is the original unflipped one.)

if im not mistaken you wield

Comment by Moriarty (not verified) Thu, 04/30/2009 - 04:17

if im not mistaken you wield your sword in your "weaker" hand, when carrying a shield. would have been stupid to swing the nunchuk around i guess =/

(also: my first comment after lurking around for a while :> great comic!)

Thank you! :D

Comment by Ananth Thu, 04/30/2009 - 14:21

Thank you! :D

That depends on how you

Comment by Skizzaltix (not verified) Fri, 05/01/2009 - 11:07

That depends on how you define "weaker," actually (and, of course, on the kind of shield)--if I were to use the sort of shield Link uses, I would carry it in my stronger hand, that is, my left, and my sword in my dominant hand (my right, obviously)...

Forced ambidexterity

Comment by Neesee (not verified) Thu, 04/30/2009 - 01:53

Now that I know this, if I ever get the chance to play Twilight Princess, I will try my hardest to play left-handed. I;d suck anyway.

Comment by Aido Thu, 04/30/2009 - 11:11

I'm playing the game on the Wii, but the controls seem kind of contrived to me.  There's a weird learning curve.  I honestly miss the Gamecube controls, I think I might prefer playing Gamecube version.  Oh well, it is too late now.

Arrowssss

Comment by Rachelle (not verified) Thu, 04/30/2009 - 20:56

But MAN is a wiimote good for shoots!

*swish-swish*

Comment by EasilyAmused (not verified) Fri, 05/01/2009 - 01:36

I liked both sets of controls, myself. I kinda liked the controls for the Wii version more, especially with the swinging motion to slash your sword. *swish-swish* The remote did make it easier to aim your bow and arrow and other ranged weapons.

Dang it, now I'm going to have to play Twilight Princess again. *goes to turn on my Wii*

(By the way, love the comic guys. Since Jeph cameoed ya'll in QC, i've been reading this comic from the beginning and enjoying it the whole way.)

Nice!! Welcome aboard! :D

Comment by Ananth Fri, 05/01/2009 - 09:39

Nice!! Welcome aboard! :D

Glad I read the previous comments

Comment by Brian (not verified) Fri, 05/01/2009 - 12:04

I was about to comment on Link's leftiness :p

Just as a way to boost geek-cred. I actually prefer Link being a lefty. Helps me relate.
(Lefty powah!)

Oh man

Comment by DaBuschckah (not verified) Thu, 04/30/2009 - 01:34

That's pretty intense. Reminds me of my old barbecue. It caught on fire the first time we used it.

Huh

Comment by Kerri (not verified) Thu, 04/30/2009 - 02:33

I would've thought after the pepper incident something like that wouldn't happen, although I do feel sympathy for ya once when I was heating up popcorn in our microwave it caught on fire there was much freaking out on my part when that happened.

Subversions

Comment by Softspoken (not verified) Thu, 04/30/2009 - 03:47

I fully expect a comic in the future that is John saying "How do I do X?", Yuko responding, "Stick it in the microwave"...
And everything ending in success.

Fire!

Comment by Sigrid (not verified) Thu, 04/30/2009 - 06:32

John! Stop before you get hurt.

Don't worry,

Comment by John Kelly (not verified) Thu, 04/30/2009 - 10:41

Lesson: learned.

John, if your toaster oven catches fire,

Comment by Ananth Thu, 04/30/2009 - 11:07

Stop, drop and roll.

Ive learned from a bad exp

Comment by mouse (not verified) Sun, 05/03/2009 - 19:59

Ive learned from a bad exp in a chem class that this, stop drop and roll, is in fact not the best way to put out a body burn!

Maternal worry instinct:

Comment by Sigrid (not verified) Fri, 05/01/2009 - 08:26

satisfied!

Man, I was I was as in-tune

Comment by Nehima (not verified) Thu, 04/30/2009 - 07:18

Man, I was I was as in-tune with fire as John seems to be. Then I could just shout out "Flame On!" And the griddle would catch fire.
As the case may be, though, I'm only ever good at burning myself D:. I should really learn to stay away from that oven. Ouch.

Also, left-handed Link for the win! I've annihilated that game in right-handed mode more than a few times, but I guess I'll try it with lefty soon, for old time's sake. Too bad my Wii hates Wind Waker, though, or I'd play that. Haha, silly Dadboat, I'm trying to hunt giant Octos, not quest..

Ah, got a little off topic there. Oh well. I really can't wait for the next comic. All of these really make me laugh my butt off~

Love

Comment by Mark (not verified) Thu, 04/30/2009 - 07:33

Hey guys - I was going to mention the similarities between this comic and the peppers one, but everyone beat me to it, including Ananth. I do like that they are almost the same first panel, and the second panel of both involves Yuko sitting on the couch and videogames being played. I LOVE THIS COMIC.

Haha, it's really cool that

Comment by Ananth Thu, 04/30/2009 - 14:22

Haha, it's really cool that you noticed because it was definitely planned out to be that way.

So glad you like it!

DID YOU LEARN NOTHING?!

Comment by Suki (not verified) Thu, 04/30/2009 - 08:05

Lol didn't you learn that seasonings roasted in oven = smoke?!
If you want to do it ...you use a stove =w= or add water so it doesn't completely burn up. Just plopping it in the oven will just make it combust or something...

Just a thought...

Comment by John Kelly (not verified) Thu, 04/30/2009 - 10:47

It's pretty hard to roast something if it's soaking in water.

*facepalm* Maybe it's a good

Comment by Ashiru (not verified) Thu, 04/30/2009 - 08:23

*facepalm* Maybe it's a good thing it's dead now. Who knows what other things John could have set aflame. XD

FIRE IN THE HOLE.

Comment by Rose (not verified) Thu, 04/30/2009 - 08:52

Note to self: do not let John anywhere near a toaster oven.

This one feels like a parody

Comment by MarkShark (not verified) Thu, 04/30/2009 - 10:09

This one feels like a parody on the pepper comic almost.

It sounds like you guys could use an actual oven.

roasting garlic

Comment by MeisterJazz (not verified) Thu, 04/30/2009 - 10:26

this i looked up on the food network site a few months back!

leave the garlic as a bulb, but cut the top of it. pour on olive oil. I like salt, so i added salt, i don't think that's necessary, but i can't remember...

put in oven at 300 for 15 min [i think...the temp might have been lower] =D unless you don't have a normal oven...

---

in any event, john doesn't seem to have much luck with cooking at times. the pepper, now the garlic... but it seems well enough that the firebox has been put to rest

The funny thing is that my

Comment by John Kelly (not verified) Thu, 04/30/2009 - 10:49

The funny thing is that my process worked a few months ago (in a delicious roasted garlic-pesto hummus, I might add), sans fire.

But this sounds more reliable.

roasting garlic

Comment by kaitou (not verified) Thu, 04/30/2009 - 10:48

Addendum on what MeisterJazz said: Cut top of garlic and pour olive oil on it. Salt and pepper if desired. Wrap the garlic in aluminum foil. Bake at 325F for 1 hour.

This is definitely more

Comment by Avelaide (not verified) Sun, 05/17/2009 - 01:07

This is definitely more accurate than what MeisterJazz said (note that a lot of stuff on the food network site is user contributed and very unreliable). While I do not claim to be an expert, I have taken a couple cooking classes and roasted garlic in school and at home many times. May I also note that it is a good idea to put the garlic bulb in the aluminum foil before adding the oil, salt, and pepper; it's more like 45 minutes to an hour; you might want to put it on a pan or something, because the oil will leak through and drip and make your oven greasy; and finally it will be very sticky but VERY delicious. (Sorry about my long-winded, run-on sentence) I recommend smooshing the edible parts, mixing them with butter and spreading it on bread.

Now Link, he come to town.

Comment by Kit (not verified) Thu, 04/30/2009 - 12:35

Now Link, he come to town. Come to save, the princess Zelda...

Ganon took her away

Comment by Mel (not verified) Fri, 05/01/2009 - 00:48

Ganon took her away, now the children don't play. But they will, when Link save the day . . . Hallelujah!

It has been sooooooo long since I've heard that song.

My college friends used to

Comment by brenna (not verified) Mon, 05/04/2009 - 22:59

My college friends used to sing that song constantly!... that's it, I'm looking it up and watching it now.

Distraction

Comment by toshiro (not verified) Thu, 04/30/2009 - 12:48

Wasn't Yuko distracted both times she was asked about such things (I think it was a book in the case of the jalapeños)? Perhaps it'd be better not to ask >_>
I know how I answer when I play games/read interesting stuff: Nobody should follow my advice then.

teehee

Comment by Cheri (not verified) Thu, 04/30/2009 - 13:26

Hehehe,
I'm totally fangirl-ing over John at the moment.
D=