TCAF

TCAF

Tue, 05/12/2009 - 00:28 by Ananth in response to also there was a comic convention

Hey guys! We just got back from a trip to TCAF in Toronto! We are all pretty exhausted, but I will put that aside a moment to tell you about the place we stayed.

We got a room at a hotel about a 20 minute walk from TCAF, down Jarvis St. We were looking to find a place on the cheap - I checked the crime rate, found it to be okay, and so we got the room. It wasn't a particularly bad area in any sense, just surprisingly populated by hookers after midnight. Most of them wore American Apparel, and that is both the best and worst thing ever ... This comic only recalls the events of the first night, in which fate implied that a prostitute was in the room next door. The next night, when we got back even later, we caught a glimpse of a party through the open door, and the lamé booty shorts and stiletto heels only served to confirm our suspicions.

We managed to catch a lot of people at TCAF, both old friends and new faces! Here they are, enumerated for your convenience,

Bryan Lee O'Malley
Rich Stevens
Meredith Gran
Jeffrey Rowland
Erika Moen
Lucy Knisley
Scott C.
JLJ, Cory Casoni
Karl Kerschl
TK
Ross Campbell
Steve Wolfhard
And finally, a couple of readers who stopped us - thanks for saying hi!

They are all scholars and gentle(wo)men, and it was a pleasure to see them all! And apologies if I've missed anyone!

Comments

It was cool seeing you guys!

Comment by Paul Chin (not verified) Tue, 05/12/2009 - 00:44

It was cool seeing you guys! Thanks for the postcard and the photo! :D

Hey man! Any time! Thanks

Comment by Ananth Tue, 05/12/2009 - 07:29

Hey man! Any time! Thanks for stopping us and saying hey! :D I hope you had a good weekend!

I-Is that George.

Comment by Louie (not verified) Tue, 05/12/2009 - 02:36

I-Is that George.

It is George in all his

Comment by Ananth Tue, 05/12/2009 - 07:16

It is George in all his unfettered glory.

Hah.

Comment by Marluxia.Kyoshu@GMail.com (not verified) Tue, 05/12/2009 - 05:00

Hah.
Hah.
Hah.

...The tags.

Comment by Joe (not verified) Tue, 05/12/2009 - 07:39

Either I don't fully understand the idea behind Tags, or you guys are implying that you have enough encounters with prostitutes to make more than one comic about them.
Can't wait!

Oh, I mean, they work like

Comment by conrad Wed, 05/13/2009 - 00:59

Oh, I mean, they work like they're supposed to, but really I just use them for metahumor.

Jealous.

Comment by Sophie (not verified) Tue, 05/12/2009 - 08:53

I wish I could have been there. In my whole time in NYC I have only seen one hooker. ONE! And I'm only 70% sure she was a hooker. She was a lady in revealing clothing on a cell saying, "And I TOLD him I only meet clients in the east village. I ain't goin' to the damn West Side!"

Maybe she was a massage therapist.

Maybe.

Need advice

Comment by r3v3rend (not verified) Tue, 05/12/2009 - 09:38

Along the lines of presenting at conventions, Ive been invited to present at a local one held in a library near where I live. Nothing too big, just a little event hosted for anime, comic, and star wars lovers, mostly catering to the young teen to children age set.
What I need to know is, what do I do?!
What am I supposed to bring, and do I need something prepared?
I speak to the coordinator today, but Im nervous.
Oh well, if you have the time, some advice would be so greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Tell me what the panel is

Comment by Ananth Wed, 05/13/2009 - 10:38

Tell me what the panel is supposed to be about! That'll help me help you.

And that's why I'm thankful

Comment by Abe (not verified) Tue, 05/12/2009 - 09:39

And that's why I'm thankful I don't live in the downtown core.

Man, way to propagate the

Comment by conrad Wed, 05/13/2009 - 01:00

Man, way to propagate the urban stereotype guys. :(

Ah, hookers...

Comment by Sidka (not verified) Tue, 05/12/2009 - 12:58

Although prostitution isn't legal in Clark County, NV (which holds Las Vegas), it is legal in most of the rest of the state. If you can't get your share of hookers driving through most of the town, just go to the other side of the county line and drive past rows and rows of brothels.

The only thing that would make driving past them at night any creepier is if they were prostitute zombies.

Put the skank on ya

Comment by A.L. (not verified) Tue, 05/12/2009 - 13:11

Considering things,that's pretty funny,especially since you guys seeing those hookers were within armshot of where the convention was.And I should have known that was George,he seems mildly amused at the notion that he can meet voice actors and have a date on the same day.

On Hookers

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 05/12/2009 - 13:33

Well, if you were a hooker, wouldn't you "do business" somewhere with a pretty low crime rate? It just kind of makes sense.

For the record, I think this makes way more sense.

Comment by conrad Wed, 05/13/2009 - 01:03

This is true! Also, interestingly, prostitution is not explicitly illegal in Canada, but publicly requesting the services of one is. If a cop sees the transaction, the dude gets handcuffed and the working girl goes back to work. A far cry from how it works in the States!

Well think about it

Comment by JSRadio (not verified) Wed, 05/13/2009 - 00:22

Imagine all the virgins and other people who can hardly get any going to that convention. They're probably thinking that the con-goers would throw buckets

totally hookers

Comment by ritsuka (not verified) Wed, 05/13/2009 - 13:10

there's no way it'd catch on, but doesn't "totally hookers" sound like some kinda catch-phrase or slang?

"that's totally hookers!"
Also this George has a unnerving grin, just sayin–i'm sure he is good people!

Yes! I would use that!

Comment by whatwith (not verified) Wed, 05/13/2009 - 21:32

Yes! I would use that!

Only 8?

Comment by Lee (not verified) Wed, 05/13/2009 - 17:23

I dunno, only 8? I live in Toronto and I see 8 on the subway alone, 20 if it's warm out on Yonge st.

a satisfactory amount of crime

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 05/13/2009 - 18:24

At what point does a crime rate become "okay"? lol

So lucky!

Comment by Dayuse (not verified) Thu, 05/14/2009 - 02:51

I'm glad I was able to bump into you guys before you all headed out! Hope Conrad and John like their cards, too.

:O

Comment by ohdeer (not verified) Thu, 05/14/2009 - 12:30

WHERE IS HOOKER NUMBER FOUR???

dude you ruless!! cool

Comment by jason (not verified) Fri, 05/22/2009 - 02:26

dude you ruless!! cool avatar!

Hookers in Toronto

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 06/16/2009 - 00:50

If you were where I think you were there was a good chance that 3 out of those 8 hookers where really men.

Hope you had a good time.

BECAUSE HOOKERS ARE

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 08/12/2009 - 18:44

BECAUSE HOOKERS ARE EVERYWHERE IN CANADA.