SPACE BOOTY

SPACE BOOTY

Mon, 05/25/2009 - 23:33 by Ananth in response to luckily they are all nerdy

As you get older your tastes change, and you get less excited about some things and more excited about others. Cereal box prizes have maintained a static level of excitement for me, though, from childhood into adulthood. Pouring out breakfast and finding a toy in my bowl fills me with irrational delight, even though I inevitably give them to my Dad, who likes to fiddle with things as he works. Here are some of our favorite prizes (John, post yours in the comments! I'll add it tomorrow):

Yuko: "a wind-up car from Cars"
Conrad: "a pair of 3D glasses that I wore so I could be like that asshole in Back To The Future ... they made my eyes hurt"
Ananth: "a watch I got in a box of Rice Krispies ... it broke but I kept wearing it because everything is awesome when you are eleven"
John: "I liked those mini lego sets. I don't know what cereal I got them from of if I'm imagining it."

In case you're wondering, we got Starfleet Command ... nice! Speaking of Star Trek, Yuko did some fan art ... click the image below to the full (contains Spoilers!):

We all enjoyed the movie quite a bit!

Comments

please attach pix i will

Comment by Ananth Tue, 05/26/2009 - 12:47

please attach pix i will send u mine

Set phermones to stun cause

Comment by conrad Wed, 05/27/2009 - 01:08

Set phermones to stun cause this pic is hot

That would be the greatest

Comment by Robert V Aldrich (not verified) Tue, 05/26/2009 - 13:50

That would be the greatest Craiglist ad ever.

The more I think about it,

Comment by JET73L (not verified) Wed, 09/14/2011 - 20:15

The more I think about it, the more confusing and disturbing it gets as to how one might be able to violate the Prime Directive with an individual representative of your own culture.

Additionally

Comment by Robert V Aldrich (not verified) Tue, 05/26/2009 - 11:50

I just clicked on the spoiler fan art by Yuko. I must tip my hat to you. Very nice.

That's the one I got!

Comment by Sidka (not verified) Tue, 05/26/2009 - 12:22

My brother got the Romulan badge. He doesn't really care, though; what he's after are the Batman toys.

It was only after seeing the recent movie that I realized all the Star Trek I've ever seen was in passing. 5 minutes of an episode, maybe fifteen minutes at a time of a movie.

So I called my mom.

Now I have the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 6th movies, the first three seasons of TOS, and the first season of Next Generation, all on loan from her.

By the way, I can't get over how much Kirk looks like Conrad to me in your picture.

Strangely, the one thing I can distinctly remember getting out of a cereal box was some black cat meant for Polly Pocket. I can remember crying when I finally lost it right before we moved.

Nerdin' it up.

Comment by Pyrin (not verified) Tue, 05/26/2009 - 12:56

ohthankgod I'm not the only one. I've felt like such an idiot for trying to eat as much cereal as possible to get more of these badges. But... but they're so awesome. I want to stick pin backs to them so they are wearable. Wearable to *where* I'll never know, but I need the option to be there!

Chex Quest The best cereal

Comment by Dorkorama (not verified) Tue, 05/26/2009 - 14:02

Chex Quest
The best cereal box freebie ever! It was a modification of DooM, yet mistakingly contained the second and third episodes (accessible via any updated game engine.) All that and the CD-ROM was even printed in full color.

My brother ended up getting a cereal bowl with the Genie from Disney's Aladdin printed on the inside. What's really amazing is that after more than a decade and a half of continuous use the print is still perfectly fine. I think it must have been coated with an clear layer of the same plastic.

THIS. Oh man. Chex Quest

Comment by Caerah (not verified) Tue, 05/26/2009 - 15:54

THIS. Oh man. Chex Quest is the BEST. I play that game for hours. Err. Played. I surely don't have it lying around NOW, that would be crazy. Of course. *innocent eyes*

Oh man, I had that game,

Comment by Krimson (not verified) Tue, 05/26/2009 - 19:28

Oh man, I had that game, too! It was the closest I could ever get to Doom because my mom was super paranoid about violent games. Apparently, shocking a bunch of gooey monster things is okay. Now that I think about it, for a free computer game that came out of a cereal box, it was pretty good.

I never got brand name

Comment by One of Many (not verified) Wed, 05/27/2009 - 06:08

I never got brand name cereal much as a kid, but this was one of the few times that I did. I played the hell out of this game. Unfortunately, I didn't have internet at the time so I didn't get to play episode 2 until a few months ago when I found out that one of the creators had put it into zDoom and made an episode 3 as well. Best Doom mod ever!

I got the Klinglon badge! I

Comment by Caerah (not verified) Tue, 05/26/2009 - 15:52

I got the Klinglon badge! I was so excited. XD "The Undiscovered Country" is my favorite Star Trek movie, and so I have a great love for Klingons.

I was SO disappointed though when I pushed the button expecting some great sound effect or light show and I got....a red flashlight. XD

Your Rescue Attempt will be Illogical

Comment by DoubtingTheOwl (not verified) Tue, 05/26/2009 - 17:36

OHMIGOODNESS

I think at like Burger King or something you can get little figurine toys in the kid meals.

I got a glowy skull keychain thingie from a Cornflakes box once.. I think it was cornflakes...

You can get star trek

Comment by geener (not verified) Tue, 05/26/2009 - 22:39

You can get star trek glasses at Burger King! It's like a happy meal toy for grown ups! I've gone completely nerd over this movie and got one (Spock), and I'm probably gonna go back for others.

Priceless fanart!

Comment by the_DECk (not verified) Tue, 05/26/2009 - 18:38

I love it, that movie so good, can't wait to see it again, & the next one!

So, wait..

Comment by Gezkill (not verified) Tue, 05/26/2009 - 21:23

AppleJacks has star trek nerd stuff? Ohh I need to go pick up a box for myself.

MUST FIND THOSE!!!

Comment by Alice (not verified) Tue, 05/26/2009 - 21:23

MUST SEARCH THE CEREAL AISLE FOR THESE!!!!!!!!! I already sent in the thing for the Star Trek t-shirt on the Rice Krispies box.

nerdgasm

Comment by Jess (not verified) Tue, 05/26/2009 - 23:32

I am totally going to find these cereals with the badges. I can't believe I haven't heard of them before now.

that gives me an idea

Comment by Jason (not verified) Wed, 05/27/2009 - 03:02

i should go to the grocery and see if they somehow smuggled in those apple jack cereal things here. i might score a badge!

My mother was so mad about

Comment by DunDunDuuuuhn (not verified) Wed, 05/27/2009 - 14:03

My mother was so mad about the romance in that movie. She is a super trekkie and liked pointing out everything that was wrong about the movie and compared it with the real series.

I..... I kind of did too 8'(

Ah....I kind of want one now

Comment by Jeff (not verified) Thu, 05/28/2009 - 01:03

Ah....I kind of want one now too >:

It's sad

Comment by Durindana (not verified) Thu, 05/28/2009 - 01:19

The sad part about this comic? I actually went out and bought a box of cereal this afternoon, after work, just because I wanted a spiffy little Star Trek toy to play with.

And the thing can't even clip onto my hat. I feel betrayed.

/wallows in sugary goodness

fan artz

Comment by ytrahne (not verified) Thu, 05/28/2009 - 10:35

I'm going to go see Star Trek tonight and if that is a real spoiler... YAY! *gushes over overly-intense Zachary Quinto while he may be using the vulcan death grip on me or cutting my brain open to poke at it*

I'll go be creepy in a corner now. Have a nice day!

Sigh....

Comment by Gwynneth G. (not verified) Thu, 05/28/2009 - 17:45

I opened up my star trek cereal box one morning to find a broken romulan badge and half a mangled cockroach my cat had left for me. My inner 8-year-old wanted to cry.

I want a Starfleet badge D:

Comment by JessiTsuki (not verified) Mon, 06/08/2009 - 01:45

I want a Starfleet badge D: And I love that fanart a lot. The movie was great and officially the first Star Trek thing I have ever watched, I have been attempting to remedy that.

That fan-pic is hilarious!!!

Comment by Sally (not verified) Tue, 06/16/2009 - 15:36

I'm not an uber-trekkie (but I am an uber-Star Wars geek), but Yuko's fanart from the new movie, which I saw, was awesome!

I remember...

Comment by Yamana Bee (not verified) Fri, 06/19/2009 - 23:04

Ayo... umm... did y'all ever get a miniature yo-yo that would light up when you would yo-yo it? I forget which cereal it was in.

Also, Captain Crunch used to have a soggy in it. Basically it was this sticky thing with a long tail on it so you could whip it on objects and grab them or shoot it at people and get it in their hair.

My best prize ever though was in a Cracker Jack box. A tiny submarine that you would pack full of baking soda. (Soda acted as a propellant.)

I remember those (the

Comment by Fraoch (not verified) Thu, 01/07/2010 - 02:05

I remember those (the submarines, I mean)! I got one in a box of cereal and It didn't work very well, but I loved it so.

i know no one will read this

Comment by supersamurai (not verified) Sun, 06/21/2009 - 14:07

i know no one will read this but i would like to announce that after reading this strip last month, i was excited because i love apple jacks period. the toys would just make it better

but all three boxes ive bought so far with the toys in them

...have all been romulan empire badges. there is no god T_T

I think it's a sign. Quick

Comment by Fraoch (not verified) Thu, 01/07/2010 - 02:08

I think it's a sign. Quick test: do you have a sudden and intense hatred of Spock and/or Leonard Nemoy?

Fan Art

Comment by Kathleen (not verified) Thu, 07/23/2009 - 18:58

I really appreciate that. Made me smile. ^_^

I totally got the same

Comment by kt (not verified) Thu, 08/06/2009 - 23:34

I totally got the same one... (I got it for the toy, as well, the cereal is still uneaten on top of my fridge) :3

Does Pan-Far smell like fish?

Comment by Melony C. (not verified) Mon, 12/28/2009 - 03:11

Does Pan-Far smell like fish?

I love the expressions in

Comment by Fraoch (not verified) Thu, 01/07/2010 - 02:18

I love the expressions in the fan art. Made me giggle :) The thumbs-up is the closest Spock's ever gotten to being smug.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought Kirk was Conrad at first, I think it's the hair. Though I thought Spock was John in a wig. Maybe it's the eyebrows...or I'm just weird.

Stinge on the goods

Comment by Ensign Cereal. (not verified) Sat, 03/12/2011 - 22:11

Oh god I want it. So bad.
I don't really get cereal toys in my country.
ESPECIALLY not super rad Star Trek ones D:

I've never gotten a prize in

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 03/24/2011 - 19:20

I've never gotten a prize in my cereal...Ever

Star Trek cereal badges!

Comment by JET73L (not verified) Wed, 09/14/2011 - 20:11

I got the Klingon badge "laser" pointer (really a red LED), The one with the triangular-ish black base and what I believe was the Klingon logo in red for a button. It was a pleasant surprise, though I geekly wanted the Stargeek Insigeeknia. [/baseless self-deprecation] My sister somehow got two, and I believe they were all the same badge.

I don't even remember which cereal it was, but it was probably also Froot Loops, which I like. I am much more of a breakfast cereal snob (despite my acceptance of the generic versions of most cereals) than a Star Trek snob, so it's odd that I don't recall what it was, considering we so rarely get brand-name kids' cereals (which I haven't really minded since Trix changed from the superior, deliciously-absorbent fruit shapes to plain, inferior puffs).

Howdy I am so happy I found

Comment by Zackary Khatib (not verified) Sat, 12/22/2012 - 23:07

Howdy I am so happy I found your blog page, I really found you by accident, while I was searching on Askjeeve for something else, Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say thank you for a remarkable post and a all round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read through it all at the moment but I have saved it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the superb job.