the bravest cat

the bravest cat

Mon, 06/01/2009 - 23:15 by Ananth in response to natural defense mechanisms

I periodically visit Yuko's folks with Yuko, and when I do it is not unusual to stumble upon the cats exploring. Mika is the trailblazer - she's fearless and investigates things with great vigor. Gonta, on the other hand, explores primarily to discover new hiding places. As you can tell from the comic above, some hiding places are better than others. I'm just relieved Gonta isn't a cat out in the wild; something just tells me Gonta couldn't hack it.

Speaking of cats, there are a number of new things in the Johnny Wander store available for purchase, including this handsome print of a girl with her eight cats (click the image below to go to the store):

There are also cat bookmarks that I think you will enjoy! Take a look!

Comments

Haha

Comment by Kasek (not verified) Mon, 06/01/2009 - 23:17

We have a cat like that. She likes to think she's stealthy, but she's not. But dang it if she isn't hard to eject from a room.

Haha, that's true ...

Comment by Ananth Tue, 06/02/2009 - 09:05

Haha, that's true ... usually we have to carry them out, and then they go sort of limp so as to make it as difficult as possible.

So cute

Comment by Abe (not verified) Mon, 06/01/2009 - 23:19

That is so cute!

And that print looks pretty awesome too!

GONTA!!

Comment by MeisterJ (not verified) Mon, 06/01/2009 - 23:57

i love the Gonta comics. my dad had a pair of cats with a similar dynamic. one loved people and attention, the other hid underneath beds any and every time someone entered the house. that cant was damn near a ghost.

my friend has two cats like that too. one adventurous, the other...well..not so much hiing, just not social. she'll watch people from the stairs...

anywho, more gonta makes me smile. cheers!

I really like the Gonta/Mika

Comment by Ananth Tue, 06/02/2009 - 09:06

I really like the Gonta/Mika comics too - Yuko's deft hand with a pencil really brings the cats to life!

My favorite comic that has

Comment by Kristen (not verified) Wed, 06/03/2009 - 12:33

My favorite comic that has Gonta in it is the one where his paw is stuck to the stereo equipment. It made me laugh so hard because my cat did the same thing with the couch all the time.

Metal Gear Gonta

Comment by A.L. (not verified) Tue, 06/02/2009 - 00:48

I'm pretty sure if Gonta were in Metal Gear,he would fail pretty hard at trying to hid from the guards.Anyway this comic was pretty funny,I like the second panel when Gonta freaks from Ananth entering the room :P.

i can hear it now...

Comment by Jason (not verified) Tue, 06/02/2009 - 02:27

Gonta's mental dialogue: "AAAAAAHHHH man with no eyes! HIDE!"

If thats how reacts to

Comment by Kristen (not verified) Wed, 06/03/2009 - 12:35

If thats how reacts to Ananth's eyes I wonder who he would react to the creepy neighbor guy who smokes?

that's simple!

Comment by Jason (not verified) Wed, 06/03/2009 - 21:47

hahaha! Gonta's doomed, then! DOOMED!

Is that girl smooshing the

Comment by toshiro (not verified) Tue, 06/02/2009 - 03:33

Is that girl smooshing the orange tabby cat with her knee?

Certainly not painfully ...

Comment by Ananth Tue, 06/02/2009 - 09:07

Certainly not painfully ... the orange tabby looks pretty content to me. ;)

Delusional

Comment by Sam (not verified) Tue, 06/02/2009 - 03:42

If I were in that situation, I would just let the cat be in his little delusional state of hiding. Just treat it like he really HAS disappeared xD

awwww

Comment by Karlee (not verified) Tue, 06/02/2009 - 04:17

Aw, that's so adorable! Poor Gonta really couldn't be a wild kitty, but at least he knows that pillows are comfy places to hide...

I also met a cat the other day that would never make it in the wild... unless she could trick her predators into cuddling her. She walked into the room, took one look at me, and literally collapsed on the ground with a *floof*, expecting cuddles and scratches :3

I love Gonta's panic! face.

Comment by S! (not verified) Tue, 06/02/2009 - 06:30

I love Gonta's panic! face. It could be trademarked by this point.

Aw. . .

Comment by Emily (not verified) Tue, 06/02/2009 - 06:40

Gonta is still the frettingest!

eee!

Comment by Nora (not verified) Tue, 06/02/2009 - 08:28

That print is adorable. I love the cat with the stubby-tail.

Also FYI in the store, the beasties pinset description says simultaneously "a set of three 1" pins" and "ships as a set of 5".

Oh yikes, thank you for the

Comment by Ananth Tue, 06/02/2009 - 09:03

Oh yikes, thank you for the heads up!

About the shirts...

Comment by Emz (not verified) Tue, 06/02/2009 - 09:01

Can I just skip the shirt and buy the Ananth? Or is it a two-for-one deal? Hmm..seems sold out. I guess I'll wait on the next shipment of Ananth.

You could probably just draw a giant closeup Gonta face

Comment by alexds1 (not verified) Tue, 06/02/2009 - 10:37

as the comic every day, and I would still read it. Those pupils!! 0_0

That would be epic!

Comment by Evan (not verified) Wed, 09/09/2009 - 12:12

I would check for updates everyday!

I'm just a big fan of that

Comment by Viga (not verified) Tue, 06/02/2009 - 10:37

I'm just a big fan of that fretting cat Gonta. I love how you draw cats.

That reminds me. My

Comment by Viga (not verified) Tue, 06/02/2009 - 10:40

That reminds me. My boyfriends mom had a cat that hid a lot. Sometimes there would be a cat sitter who was convinced there was never a 3rd cat. Seriously! For days you wouldn't see him and then out of nowhere it's there!

EYES

Comment by Razor (not verified) Tue, 06/02/2009 - 12:12

Hee. Gonta could double as the Geico money. ^_^

Gonta~ <3

Comment by Lawlience (not verified) Tue, 06/02/2009 - 12:30

I absolutely love the Mika/Gonta strips. Probably my favorite, but there's plenty of good stuff on good ol' Johnny Wander~ It's possibly my favorite e-strip out there!

Still, Gonta reminds me of my gran's cat, Shy Anne. xD She's afraid of like everything in the world and is always hiding somewhere. She seems to like me though and whenever I visit, and my gran's dog is asleep, she'll come out of her hiding place! Unlike what I've seen with Gonta though, she's an extremely vocal cat. xD She meows way past when you're annoyed~

However, unlike some of the other people here, my gran does not possess a Mika/Gonta combo. Instead, she has Boss/Bud (doesn't really have a name, lol). He is the meanest, most sadistic cat on the planet and I love him!... ... until I have to go to the bathroom. (He has this habit of hanging out in the really small hallway that leads to the bathroom and clawing your ankles when you have to go)

Keep up the good work!

Comment by MineTruly (not verified) Tue, 06/02/2009 - 13:12

I love this comic and hope you keep drawing it for a long time. I'll be checking back every week for more great strips!

I can't wait to hear more about Spackelhaus!

Scaredy Cats

Comment by Ithil (not verified) Tue, 06/02/2009 - 14:23

Reminds me of my cat. Except mine doesn't hide...he merely jumps at every noise out there. He's so easy to scare it's not funny anymore.

Of course we laugh anyway.

On cats and the hiding

Comment by biggo (not verified) Tue, 06/02/2009 - 16:50

"A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. You can [...] wrap it around your head to avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mindboggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can’t see it, it can’t see you.)"

Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Gonta Marketing

Comment by Virtual Bob (not verified) Wed, 06/03/2009 - 08:39

Gonta could be the new 'Hello Kitty' for Nerds!
A laptop skin or a screensaver to start with, then before you know it...Gonta Is Everywhere!
Moichandizing! Moichandizing! Moichandizing!

Panic! At The Homestead

Comment by Joe (not verified) Wed, 06/03/2009 - 17:33

There needs to be a shirt or a poster or something of Gonta's Panic! Face.
It could be the next internet sensation. Before you know it, his Interweb Popularity has skyrocketed and he's the new face of the LOLcats.

I absolutely love Gonta. The

Comment by ~L.K. (not verified) Wed, 06/03/2009 - 22:28

I absolutely love Gonta. The fear in his eyes! My boyfriend loves hims so much. He likes to quote the fret-eat-fret a lot.

My aunt has a cat who disappears the second they hear someone coming in from the outside--nobody has seen the cat, ever--not even a tail whisking away underneath a bed or hurrying out of a room. We're all certain that she's making him up.

Shirts 9_9

Comment by Sushii (not verified) Fri, 06/05/2009 - 00:19

Have you thought about making shirts from the comic?

I think Gonta's catbutt would be an awesome one.

D: uh. uh...... (can i make

Comment by yraelis (not verified) Fri, 06/05/2009 - 01:02

D: uh. uh......

(can i make an icon of gonta catbutt..?)

Marlene

Comment by Lucas Gelati (not verified) Mon, 08/31/2009 - 12:49

My cat Marlene do the same thing...

Hehee!We have a somewhat

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 11/24/2009 - 11:26

Hehee!We have a somewhat similar cat at home,'cept,besides hiding in places he also goes all slack and scared-like whenever someone tries to pet him.But he's really cute that way :D