true story

true story

Mon, 06/08/2009 - 23:21 by Ananth in response to she was pretty angry

This is a True Story, and not super relatable unless you ink with steel nibs! They give Yuko wrist cramps and generally seem like a pain in the ass to use (although I think she is using particularly bad ones) ... but it doesn't matter, because sitting on her desk now is an envelope from a brush company in Britain! I'm excited to see how Johnny Wander looks once she cracks those brushes open - they came on high recommendation from some talented folks (I, uh, can't remember who just now).

Yuko has sent me some messages from Japan! She says she misses you guys, and she had real fresh unagi, and she is going to the Tezuka museum in the next couple of days. I am very jealous so I am going to go before I say something I might regret. Have a good day!

Comments

UNAGI!

Comment by Jason (not verified) Tue, 06/09/2009 - 00:01

i love unagi! even the high-class jap restos have it in short supply here in the philippines (sort-of-kinda-seasonal thing) but when they do, it's fresh and delicious!

and that unagi reminds me of a friends episode. anyone else seen that? "UUUnagiii..."

take it easy in Japan, Yuko! i'd want to go there if only to check out the car manufacturers (toyota and honda come to mind)!

I make that *exact* same

Comment by Raika (not verified) Tue, 06/09/2009 - 00:03

I make that *exact* same face whenever the same happens to me! Inking with steel nibs is frustrating, and I have a tendency to grip too harshly onto my drawing utensils. I think one needs a lot of patience to work with nibs, which is sort of a shame because I have none. Which brush brand is Yuko using? Maybe I'll have a look into 'em.

Sounds like Yuko's having a good time in Japan. I wonder what kind of epic adventures she'll have in the museum. :3

Hi Raika!I got Yuko some

Comment by Ananth Tue, 06/09/2009 - 00:40

Hi Raika!

I got Yuko some brushes from here for her birthday: http://www.rosemaryandco.com/ She hasn't tried them yet so no recommendations from her own personal experience quite yet! Actually, I got them a little late for her birthday, so I got her some extra brushes. ._.

Ah. Inking with nibs can be

Comment by Neza (not verified) Tue, 06/09/2009 - 00:20

Ah. Inking with nibs can be great if they're awesome quality AND you're magical. If either of those two requirements are not satisfied, the Nib Gods become underwhelmed and displeased, and begin to plot your demise at once.

I know the artist who does

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 06/09/2009 - 00:48

I know the artist who does erfworld (also where I discovered your comic) have recently switched over to brushes and love it, maybe that is where the recommendation came from.

Hah, Jami Noguchi! We see

Comment by Ananth Tue, 06/09/2009 - 01:02

Hah, Jami Noguchi! We see him pretty often - I think he actually started in on brushes after talking to Yuko, although I might be wrong. I do know they talked shop for a few hours the last time we hung out.

Hola!

Comment by Jamie Noguchi (not verified) Tue, 06/09/2009 - 09:40

I'm like Candy Man. Say my name and I appear! I think I might have started like a day before we came and saw you guys and we started geeking out about brushes and nibs and Jeff Smith. I've seen Yuko's nibs and they are horrible. Audrey bought me some from France and they're quite nice. I use them for little detail work, but it's all brush for the big stuff.

I covet the new Rosemary brushes! I must touch them. I really want to see the awesomeness that Yuko can create from their Britishness!

i don't ink...

Comment by Jason (not verified) Tue, 06/09/2009 - 02:04

...but i make the same face when i was still using a mechanical pencil that gave me cramps. switched to a better kind now.

looking forward to comics about Yuko's Japan Adventure!

-Everything- in Britain is

Comment by Doz (not verified) Tue, 06/09/2009 - 02:23

-Everything- in Britain is better. 8)

I like my nibs. I think it

Comment by H PoP (not verified) Tue, 06/09/2009 - 02:35

I like my nibs. I think it all comes from how you use it, but the most important part is the paper you use it on. If it bleeds, then the paper is crap. I used to use regular copier paper which bled no matter how quick I drew the lines; then I used bond paper which was smooth so the nibs didn't catch, but was very light/thin and would warp if you used a lot of ink on it. I finally went to manuscript paper (bristol board I hear is a good too) and haven't looked back.

I like brushes as well. I use both nibs and brushes. You get different effects. I'd say brushes come with their own difficulties.

We Miss You Yuko!!! Hurry

Comment by Robert V Aldrich (not verified) Tue, 06/09/2009 - 07:20

We Miss You Yuko!!! Hurry back! You wouldn't believe the things these guys are saying behind your back!

Hahaha ... what're you

Comment by Ananth Tue, 06/09/2009 - 10:58

Hahaha ... what're you doing, shhh!! You'll ruin it!

The best bit about line work brushes is...

Comment by Naktarr (not verified) Tue, 06/09/2009 - 07:26

Breaking them in!
:D

stay out of my closet

Comment by Weirden (not verified) Tue, 06/09/2009 - 07:33

i don't draw due to bad nerves and a little ADD, but i use mechanical pencils to write often@_@. blasted things break on me all the time. AND AS HORRIBLY LATE AS THIS NEXT BIT IS, sorry i missed yall at A-Kon. i should've looked over the schedules better...

P.S. i'll probably end up commenting here more often. muahaha?

Nibs...

Comment by EiceBleu (not verified) Tue, 06/09/2009 - 08:07

I used nibs one year when I was drawing Herôs (it's all up on DevArt). INCREDIBLY time consuming let me tell ya!

Nooo but they were perfect

Comment by whatwith (not verified) Tue, 06/09/2009 - 08:43

Nooo but they were perfect for each other!

I love brushes, they just blow my mind.

Tezuka Museum

Comment by Ebee (not verified) Tue, 06/09/2009 - 09:42

I actually live like 10 minutes from the Tezuka Museum here in Takarazuka, Japan. It's a pretty sweet little museum. If Yuko needs anything while she's here (like restaurant recommendations or directions) let me know and I'd be glad to help out! :)

I've always wanted to try inking with nibs like that but it seemed to me like they might be more trouble than they're worth. Going by this comic maybe my assumption was right. Maybe I'll check out some brushes, though!!

Tezuka Museum

Comment by Xib (not verified) Tue, 06/09/2009 - 09:53

Oh man! Oh man! She's gonna love the museum! I used to live in Osaka, so my gramps took me there one time. There was even this 'make your own animation' class thing they have there. Its pretty rad. And nostalgic. Tell her to take lots of pictures of her trip!

Also: Nibs are evil. Mayhaps I haven't ever used the good kind, but they always would catch on the paper and flick ink all over when I'd use them. SO ANGRY. Never tried brushes though, let us know how she likes them! :3

Brushes RULE!

Comment by Virtual Bob (not verified) Tue, 06/09/2009 - 09:54

Mah mama sez steel nibs are from da debbul!
When I was doing calligraphy, I started with steel nibs and ran into the same issues.
Then I tried calligraphy markers and felt...dirty.
Switched to brushes and felt all zen and flowy.
Yuko, enjoy your brushes, bask in the manga wonder that is Tezuka, and know that I too am jealous of people who
1) are have very fresh unagi and
2) are visiting Japan
Now I'm going to have to go to Wegman's to have some of their version of nigiri for lunch. It will be seasoned with my tears.

We miss you!!

Comment by Geoff (not verified) Tue, 06/09/2009 - 13:43

We miss you Yuko, and we hope you are having fun on your trip.

Yes, please take lots of pictures for us, because we like to live vicariously through our heroes on the Internet.

Plus if you can, be sure to visit the life-sized Gundam in Shinagawa, Tokyo, Japan, and take lots and lots of pictures.

wooogh

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 06/09/2009 - 14:09

Highly off topic:
I saw someone who looked very similar to Ananth at my Wal-Mart, except he had a baby.
I may have creeped him out since I watched him very closely as my mom was arranging the groceries in the cart.

Also, I tend to make that face no matter what I'm doing, apparently. CAN'T IMAGINE WHY

BABIES

Comment by Virtual Bob (not verified) Tue, 06/09/2009 - 14:14

BABIES!

Angry face!

Comment by Cowdog (not verified) Tue, 06/09/2009 - 15:50

Hate is the path to the Dark Side! Your weapons, you will need them not!

I heart Fountain Pens

Comment by Joy Vision (not verified) Tue, 06/09/2009 - 17:25

I've been using fountain pens as long as i can remember; i can relate. Recently i've found joy in iridium tipped unbreakable nibs.

In all cases; fountain >> other stuff.

steel nibs

Comment by UnbracedArtist (not verified) Tue, 06/09/2009 - 18:44

Holy monkeys on fire, do I feel your pain! Many of my works have felt the cruel wrath of a steel nib's random bleeding. Perhaps you might want to switch to Pigma Micron pens. I have seen good work done with those pens. Just a thought...

Steel nibs

Comment by Ramiel (not verified) Tue, 06/09/2009 - 20:38

They rust if you don't use them for awhile D:

Since Yoko is in Japan, maybe she can get new pen nibs or brushes while she's at it. You can never have enough. :D

...that or end up in a strange cameo on Megatokyo, I dunno ¯\0_o/¯

14k Gold Nibs

Comment by Choeki (not verified) Tue, 06/09/2009 - 21:25

Better to get 14k gold nibs or dump the dip pen altogether and get a MontBlanc Meisterstuck 416. She's in the perfect place to get one since there's a veritable "fire sale" of brand goods in Japan at the moment (or at least more than usual considering the extension of the 不景気. I bought one for myself for around 7000 JPY at a recycle shop in Chiba-ken (yes, it was real - had it authenticated at a MontBlanc store). Trouble is that you can only really find those kinds of deals at the recycle shops outside of the major cities since most of Japan looks like a post-industrial wasteland due to all the younger folk fleeing to the aforementioned major cities. At the least, I know for a fact of a place right next to Kisarazu station that has an entire display case full of Platinum brand fountain pens (cartridge and bladder type) with solid 14k gold nibs for about 2000 JPY each. The reason being that the pens and display case are from the 1960's and no one has bought one since then. Funny about that....

Digital is still Analog

Comment by Bakachan (not verified) Tue, 06/09/2009 - 23:01

Not that I can draw worth a damn or anything, but I can't say enough good things about using a Cintiq and Celsys ComicStudio. (Marketed in the US ironically enough as 'Manga Studio'.)

It does an impeccable job of replicating pencil, nib pen, brush pen, and screen tone. Besides being a joy to work with and designed from the ground up for comics.

It already has presets for pretty much every standard inking nib, but you can totally make your own custom ones. (It's basically just a profile describing min/max line width, a pressure sensitivity curve, and other variables relating to how it handles.)

One of my favorite features, and really the only reason I can draw as well as I do (Which isn't saying much), is the variable 'correction' value for every tool. Basically, if you enable it, it cleans up your lines as you draw. And it can selectively enhance certain elements like straight lines, smooth curves, smooth line thickness...

Of course, a lot of the extended functionality (Importing 3D objects and turning them into lineart, speed- and focus-line effects, and all manner of filters and effects) is completely unnecessary given the art style of Johnny Wander... But it's a good solid program and replaces a drawingboard full of supplies.

[/random_babbling]

Hey.

Comment by Talon J. (not verified) Wed, 06/10/2009 - 03:28

Try Bamboo. The ink flows a little differently, but I've had a much better experience with them than steel nibs.

Fffff! is for...

Comment by John B (not verified) Wed, 06/10/2009 - 05:51

...Frustration, of course ;) But I don't blame her one bit for the word she was actually (probably) about to say! ;) Dang. :P

Fffff! is for...

Comment by John B (not verified) Wed, 06/10/2009 - 05:51

oops, double post

Comment by John B (not verified) Wed, 06/10/2009 - 05:53

Fffffff! ;P

Good god why would she

Comment by Akira (not verified) Wed, 06/10/2009 - 07:46

Good god why would she willingly eat unagi.

Brushes

Comment by Ashwara (not verified) Wed, 06/10/2009 - 15:45

nice, I have been inking with brushes for a while now. They are so nice and fun compared to any kind of pen, you just gotta get used to it. Once you do though, you can get just as neat lines and everything. =D

Oh man, I hate steel nibs

Comment by Yugosaki (not verified) Sun, 06/21/2009 - 17:05

Oh man, I hate steel nibs too, either run out of ink at a bad place or dump all their ink at an equally bad place. I use micron pens now.

Great comic :) endangered eels :(

Comment by Kerry (not verified) Tue, 06/23/2009 - 02:24

I found your comic through Questionable Content and am really enjoying it. I love the humor, and have been checking back.

Mention of the unagi in the post, however, really saddened me. Eels are among the least sustainable sealife one can eat. Their populations are rapidly declining due to overfishing and the changing salinization of the water, and for every ton of farmed (carnivorous) eel, four tons of fish are required for feed.

You guys seem like very sharp people. Let's not promote eating these species into extinction, and then hopefully one day the populations can recover and we can enjoy the deliciousness of unagi once again :/

Character.

Comment by Rei (not verified) Thu, 07/23/2009 - 12:55

Though they have sputtered all over a set of delicate lines, there's nothing that can match the nibs variable thickness and organic, elegant feel, other than a very customized photoshop brush... With that said, I'm sadly better with the photoshop than the pen >_>

But hey, ink splotches add character!

///rEI