Coffee pt. 2

Coffee pt. 2

Thu, 06/11/2009 - 02:06 by Ananth in response to she only likes real coffee

If this comic looks familiar, you're not crazy - it's remarkably similar to one we did a while ago. In the same way that I can't deal with coffee, Yuko can't deal with any of the super sweet drinks that I tend to favor ... most recently the Starbucks green tea frappucino. One new development since that last strip is that I started drinking tea - a lot of it! I got pretty sick the past couple of months, and so tea has become a staple, especially during the colder months.

Actually, let me let you guys in on a secret: I usually get an extra shot of syrup in my drinks ... the normal drinks aren't sweet enough for me. It's actually gotten to the point that I consider it to be something of a personal failing ... I'm young so my metabolism is high, but my sweet tooth will undo me in the end. Any of you guys have a sweet tooth? How do you get it under control?

(I like the spitting sounds in this comic, I think they are pretty true to life)

That's the last of the comics I have! Next week is a guest week, I think you'll be happy to see some familiar faces. ;) See you then!

Comments

Get your sweet tooth under

Comment by Cheri (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 02:25

Get your sweet tooth under control? Why?!
Embrace it while you can!

Hahaha, nooo ... that's the

Comment by Ananth Thu, 06/11/2009 - 11:35

Hahaha, nooo ... that's the philosophy that put me here in the first place!

I have a bit of a sweet

Comment by Riyo (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 02:33

I have a bit of a sweet tooth. How do I keep it under control?

Let's just say it has to do with the fact that my house is practically filled with healthy foods...so it's not like I can eat sweets all day long, even if I wanted to D: (so I instead tend to eat a lot of fruits :V)

Kind of sucks sometimes when you're looking for random bites to eat, but at least it keeps me from screwing myself over for track...the joys of what high school sports do to you :U

Coffee has to be done right....

Comment by Cowdog (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 02:42

...or it tastes like liquid ass.

Seriously, Mocha or nothing, IMO. The rest is too bitter.

Have you tried a white

Comment by Pandja (not verified) Fri, 06/12/2009 - 07:57

Have you tried a white mocha? It's a lot sweeter than a mocha, and can been indulged in with nonfat milk and still retain it's delicious creaminess!

.... "control"?

Comment by Alcnolien (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 02:43

I have one helluva bad sweet tooth, and absolutely no ability, nor much of a desire, to keep it under control.
The only thing that I've managed to do to keep myself from snacking on crap ALL the time was being too lazy to go out and go shopping for candy or soda to eat, thus forcing me to snack on other stuff, like carrots or chips or a mysterious burrito that had sat around in there for way too long. Laziness is my own depressing solution to the sweet tooth problem.
... I'm so, so lucky I have crazy metabolism...

Metabolism o_O

Comment by biggo (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 05:57

Ditto. Everything you said.
Apart from the metabolism thing: mine is a frozen sloth.
My solution tho the ST is surrender. I know, that's not a solution .-D

Haha oh man I'm exactly the

Comment by eli (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 02:52

Haha oh man I'm exactly the same as Yuko, I can't stand sweet coffee-blended drinks either.

Adding sugar to perfectly good coffee/tea just seems... weird to me. Although I do make exceptions to bubble tea.

the sweet bones

Comment by Jess (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 02:59

Only thing that has worked for me is making myself feel dramatically guilty about spending the money buying junk foods-- the kind of good catholic guilt that makes you want to run screaming to confession. I ask myself, Do I really NEED this? Will I make to tomorrow without it? Will I die a horrible death if I don't eat a piece of chocolate RIGHT NOW?

really though, just resist the urge to buy. if it's not around, you won't eat/drink it (and after a while, you won't miss it); that's how i quit drinking coke. it's all in your head.

This I think could actually

Comment by Ananth Thu, 06/11/2009 - 11:36

This I think could actually work for me ... I will try thinking this way!

Glad to contribute :D

Comment by Jess (not verified) Fri, 06/12/2009 - 17:28

Glad to contribute :D

I second this, actually. I

Comment by Lupus Draconis (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 21:42

I second this, actually. I usually don't go out and buy sodas, and for a summer I lived perfectly happy on milk and apple juice. When I bought a soda after a month or two (I needed the caffeine), it was too sweet for my tastes.

Milk

Comment by Naeros (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 03:13

I don't know if you've tried your tea with milk, or even done on tea, but it's a bit sweeter, I think you might like it.
But you can't mix green tea and milk (nor red tea). Just black and white teas :P

milk tea

Comment by Jason (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 03:48

is the best. i like it chilled more than warm but then again, i live in a tropical country.

Handling sweets

Comment by toshiro (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 03:15

I have multiple ways of keeping myself from consuming (too many) sweets.
a) Like Jess, I usually try and resist the urge to buy them (I succeed roughly 7 times out of 10).
b) I buy stuff that takes effort to make. E.g. a slice of bread with butter and honey... you have to prepare it. Takes only 30 seconds, but that's still longer than ripping open a pack. Increase the hurdles.
c) I only eat sweets on weekends (and more often during holidays, I have to admit). That way you go sweets-free roughly 70% of the week, which is already something.

So jealous... >.>

Comment by Angela (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 03:21

I had to give up sweets about a year ago--at least in the quantities I was eating--because the caffeine and sugar was causing/exacerbating my anxiety. So yeah... In my case self-control was cheaper than medication, and just as effective (without any side-effects). :D

I tell you though, what I wouldn't give to be able to down a six-pack of Pepsi and a box of Swiss Cake Rolls in an afternoon like I used to... Yay for high metabolism, boo for insomnia and panic attacks.

P.S. Yay also for black tea and coffee. Bitter drinks are the best!

The sweet killer...

Comment by Jariik (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 03:38

Juice and/or dry cereal. No joke.

In High School and early college, i'd have at least 2 litres of pop and some sort of little-debbie snack a day, if not two or three.

As of now, I keep a variety (variety is important) of juice and juice-like drinks (cherry limeade) in the fridge and a cup at hand. I now only require one can of Dew a day.

For foods, there are some cereals that are just delicious dry. It varies depending on your taste, but the various forms of shredded frosted wheats are my favorite. I went through an entire box of blueberry muffin flavored wheats in a day. Keep it at hand, and when you have the urge, have a munch.

Sure, you're still eating/drinking, but it's not nearly as damaging things, and a good way to get things into the diet you might not otherwise get (shredded wheats = mass fiber intake) while still satisfying that oral fixation.

GREEN TEA FRAPPOCIONOSKJAS;LK

Comment by JSRadio (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 03:43

HELL YEAH, THAT THING IS DELICIOUS!
I get it every time.

Got to love those Green tea Frap's

Comment by Kristen (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 16:53

We have a Starbucks at my college campus and we are given $90 each semester to spend at places like that in school. This last semester I went through mine at Starbucks within a month.

green tea frap!

Comment by Jason (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 03:46

i love it! i take it with no whipped cream and twice blended.

poor yuko. the wonders of green tea and other sweetish drinks are beyond you!

oh ananth, try a shot of hazelnut syrup the next time you order your green tea frap.

I'll give that a shot! ;)

Comment by Ananth Thu, 06/11/2009 - 11:38

I'll give that a shot! ;) Twice blended, meaning they put it through the blender twice?

Yeah!

Comment by Eponine (not verified) Fri, 06/12/2009 - 04:35

Makes it a lot easier to get up the straw. My friend swears by it, but I usually forget...:(

yeah!

Comment by Jason (not verified) Sat, 06/13/2009 - 02:31

Eponine is correct!

twice-blended drinks go through the blender twice, so it's creamier. it also melts twice as fast though...

spplpbtph thbttfth

Comment by Louis (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 03:50

Tea? Yuck, I'm allergic. I'm actually half in the same (dad)boat as Yuko here- give it to me bitter or not at all. Apart from liquids, I have a massive sweet tooth as well, weirdly enough. I cope with it by getting all poncy and buying really expensive, rich chocolate and sweets. Not only do you not want to buy them often, when you've got them you can't stand to eat more than a little in one sitting.

And if I really, really feel like a treat and have nothing on hand, I'll just make my own toffee, rather than buy something horrible from the supermarket. Sugar, water, a tiny bit of vinegar, low slow heating, some pattycake papers and a minute in the fridge. Yummy~

I have a fat tooth. I don't

Comment by Mazdem (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 04:00

I have a fat tooth. I don't care much for sweets. I do however have a trick for keeping stuff under control. It's a ritual of sorts. I just tell myself that I do not like something out loud. Then I give it away if I can.

I love that "pleh pleh" is

Comment by Salamandaa (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 04:58

I love that "pleh pleh" is written in cursive. Fantastic.

Sweet N Sour

Comment by Inujo (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 05:43

Isn't sweetness just the opposite of sourness? In dieting tips you are told when you crave sweet to eat sour. You want Chocolate cake, eat a pickle. Someone let me know how that works out!
I'm MidWesternSouthern. So I live on Sweet tea.
I have a glass pitcher. I fill it half way up with cold water and scoup in suger just under a cup..gasp...I fill a sauce pan will cold water turn the stove to high and put on top 5 lipton tea bags. I still the sugar water then pour in the boiling hot tea to top it off. Stir. I like it hot. I like it with ice. I like it room temperature. I never put it in the refridgerator. If it's not used that day I dump it out, clean the pitcher with bleach water, let it air out and start all over. It's the best to kick a cola habit. And cheaper too.
I perfer it less sweet and my son wants it sweeter we compromise.
I have learned if you don't seperate the process of adding the sugar to the plain water and then adding the hot tea the taste changes.

Wow, I've never heard of

Comment by Ananth Thu, 06/11/2009 - 11:38

Wow, I've never heard of this before ... I'll try it next time! Thanks!

SWEET TEA

Comment by Razor (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 19:59

Oh my goodness I drink this stuff all the time when I visit my Dad in Florida. They sell it by the gallon premade at the store!

When we got back home this year I was overjoyed to see Mickey D's sweet tea. UGHHH NOT THE SAME! When I have a craving for it I break down and buy it (only a buck, what the heck) but I can never finish it. X_X

Sweetyteeth!

Comment by Burblesaurus (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 05:54

This one time, I missed my yearly trip to the dentist. The same summer, I started working at a bakery with all its sweet, sweet icing. The next summer, it turned into a filling, a dead tooth, and then a root canal. : D YUM.

Nooooooo

Comment by Ananth Thu, 06/11/2009 - 11:39

Nooooooo

I had a sweet tooth once...

Comment by Chris D. (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 06:04

To be honest, I stopped eating sweets to try and combat it. It's worked fairly well. I still can go a bit overboard if given half a chance, but I generally see something (like a king cake or doughnuts) and just tell myself, out loud often, that I don't need that. It also helps that there was a point where I couldn't really afford to buy overpriced sugary stuff and was much happier eating meat and bread. :-)

I don't recommend going down the "too poor to get what I want route", though. It's no fun.

Starbucks Graph

Comment by Milly (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 06:51

I think you should make a graph, with a scale ranging from extreme bitterness to extreme sweetness, and put key Starbucks drinks on it in appropriate locations. Then, everyone puts what 'range' of the graph they will happily take drinks from. Then, from the overlaps, you can see who can safely share or trial drinks with each other!

Anyway, I have a bit of a sweet tooth, but when it comes to drinks, I just prefer fruity and coffee-y things. The really sweet stuff Starbucks has is short lived - the first few sips are wonderful, but after that... x_x

Not that there are any Starbucks around in Aus anymore ;_;

I'd recommend fruit or dried

Comment by Rain (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 07:15

I'd recommend fruit or dried fruit as a candy/sugar substitute. Yeah, you're probably thinking 'ewwww, raisins,' but pineapple and dried mango (although lots of dried fruit snacks have lots of sugar too) are delicious. Also, trying yogurt instead of pudding and dark chocolate would be a little bit healthier (but I'm not a health nut or anythign so I don't really know).

Also, bake your own cookies instead of buying them. Lowers your cookie intake and they have the sweet, sweet taste of victory.

My friend who worked at Starbucks hates the green tea frappaccinos. I love those things. And tea in general. Except for that month where I drank it three times a day every day and nothing else. Then I was sick of it for a while.

The nice thing about dark

Comment by Ananth Thu, 06/11/2009 - 11:39

The nice thing about dark chocolate is 1. it's my favorite and 2. I can't eat more than one or two pieces at a time. And I love dried fruit - I'll just have to buy it more often! Thank you!

I recommend a couple of things

Comment by Saiyuki (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 07:25

I have to agree with Rain - fruits contain natural sugars.

Failing that - I tend to chew sugarless gum. It tends to provide an oral fixation (similar to smoking, though I recommend against that) and that usually helps me refocus my attention away from the craving.

I usually chew Black Black, which is a sugarless Japanese gum, or a couple pieces of Trident.

Sweet!

Comment by Virtual Bob (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 08:02

Try turbinado sugar in your tea.
It's unrefined cane sugar that still has a bit of natural molasses in it. You can probably find it in the market as "Sugar in the Raw".
I think it imparts a nice undertone to a cuppa.

turbinado

Comment by Hilary (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 08:40

I second that. We don't even use normal sugar in our house anymore, just turbinado. It was kind of odd at first, but you get used to it.

As for my sweet tooth... being the poor waif that I am, I keep it in check by not being able to afford Starbucks. (But somebody gave me a gift card last Christmas, and it was ON.)

I like green tea frap. >.>

Comment by opendash (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 08:02

I like green tea frap. >.> Is good. Am glad someone else drinks it, I was beginning to wonder. Not for everyone, but IT'S MORE FOR ME. (if only I went to Starbucks more often.)

Giving up sweets...

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 08:08

I don't eat sweets that much since I've sort of become a snob. My aunt used to work at Godiva, so she would give me nice little treats periodically. Since then, I hate most cheap chocolate. Especially Hershey's. It tastes like wax. Bleh. That coupled with being poor is a great way to avoid sweets.

And I agree with you about coffee. Can't stand it black. Besides, black coffee makes me really, really hyper for some reason. It's kind of scary. Plain tea I like--it's more subtlely bitter. However, I really don't like the Green Tea Frappucino. I had it once, and I thought it tasted like Fruit Loops for some reason. White Chocolate Mocha all the way. Or Ice Chai Latte. Mmm...

Yeah, candy bars in the

Comment by Ananth Thu, 06/11/2009 - 11:40

Yeah, candy bars in the checkout aisle in the U.S. are really gross ...

See's Candies

Comment by Razor (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 20:06

Oh, Ananth. I should send you a box of See's Candies (or you can go to their site and buy it =) ). Whenever I eat their candy I think "Why, oh, WHY do I ever eat any other chocolate ever???"

I like them even better than Godiva. Although Lindor isn't bad.

Also: Sea salt caramels are AWESOME. I get mine from bequetconfections.com.

Like some other people have

Comment by Chelsea (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 08:27

Like some other people have said, the only way I can avoid sweets some of the time is just to not keep them in the house. Having to put in a decent amount of effort to get my hands on bad foods helps.

But, yeah, I'll probably wind up with diabetes or something. :|

The more sugar you eat, the

Comment by maritza (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 08:36

The more sugar you eat, the more sugar you crave. I'd suggest cutting sugar to half your usual dose at least for some days. Then you'll discover your usual dose tastes too sweet.

i did have an insanely sweet

Comment by lynn (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 08:39

i did have an insanely sweet tooth when i was bit younger so my friends decided to ban me from sugar related things for a week. Still have a sweet tooth but not as bad anymore.

MEta Abolism

Comment by Scott K (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 08:44

When I hit 25 and my metabolism started tanking, I had to switch to juices. Plenty of natural sugars that aren't gonna make you huge.

Too sweet a tooth. ;_;

Comment by Melvic Lillith (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 08:45

I feel for you on the sweets craving. When I was a kid I use to finish off entire Halloween sized bags of chocolates in a day...but I really don't know what happened. I think maybe it just because I found better sweets. I have two bags of "Bliss" or "Dove" Chocolates in my home at any given time, though now a days it often takes me a week or two to go through them. Aside from that I do drink sodas, of which I limit myself to two a day tops. I doesn’t hurt that I got addicted to strong flavored ones like Dr. Pepper 23" that make all the others taste like water to me.

I still expect my heart to explode at some point in the near future....quite possibly while I lie in bed and, again quite possibly, with a bag of chocolates comforting me into my final moments. The chilled soda on my nightstand will remain there, proud of its staunch victory over the legendary figure known only as “The Drinker.”

i have a sweet tooth that

Comment by victor g. (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 08:48

i have a sweet tooth that runs through my dad's side of the family. heck, my grandmother had a candy-based cake for her 76th birthday a few years back. i just control my sweet tooth by...well i just try to restrict my candy/sweetstuff intake. and for some reason, i've maintained a record of having no cavities. but yeah. lol.

My diet

Comment by Eidalac (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 08:57

Several years back, when I was on a diet, the best way I found to control my snacking impulse was to not by the snacks. Much easier to resist them in the store, not so easy when they are in the cabinets.

As for taming the sweet tooth itself... I don't know... maybe if you tried having something sour, hot or bitter whenever you have something sweet? Should make the sweetness seem stronger, while you become adjusted to the other flavors?

reminds me of when my buddy

Comment by Sinatra (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 09:26

reminds me of when my buddy had me try his fav' drink which tasted like liquefied graham crackers.

turns out that's exactly what it was. The sweetness of it made me sick to my stomach.