Coffee pt. 2

Coffee pt. 2

Thu, 06/11/2009 - 02:06 by Ananth in response to she only likes real coffee

If this comic looks familiar, you're not crazy - it's remarkably similar to one we did a while ago. In the same way that I can't deal with coffee, Yuko can't deal with any of the super sweet drinks that I tend to favor ... most recently the Starbucks green tea frappucino. One new development since that last strip is that I started drinking tea - a lot of it! I got pretty sick the past couple of months, and so tea has become a staple, especially during the colder months.

Actually, let me let you guys in on a secret: I usually get an extra shot of syrup in my drinks ... the normal drinks aren't sweet enough for me. It's actually gotten to the point that I consider it to be something of a personal failing ... I'm young so my metabolism is high, but my sweet tooth will undo me in the end. Any of you guys have a sweet tooth? How do you get it under control?

(I like the spitting sounds in this comic, I think they are pretty true to life)

That's the last of the comics I have! Next week is a guest week, I think you'll be happy to see some familiar faces. ;) See you then!

Comments

sweet wars

Comment by mugsi (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 09:56

Oh man, I know about this one lol I just recently moved in with my fiance and he can't tolerate super sweet food, so before I got here there was NOTHING in the kitchen, but I feel bad stocking up on sweets when we don't both eat them. I've kinda tackled it the same way I tackled cutting caffiene (kidney stones SUCK, especially when you're twenty and live across the street from the campus starbucks) simple substitution. When I cut the Starbuck's coffee I replaced it with their blended cremes, hot chocolates and hot ciders.

When I'm trying to cut sweets I've replaced them with healthier sweets, or at least sweets you have to work harder for. Sweet veggies/fruits and all that good crap, but mostly these treasures that I discovered via Wal*Mart free sample. Also, rock candy, I figure trying to gnaw that sweet goodness off of its string/stick/baking sheet is physically and mentally exhausting enough to justify the small amounts I eat at a time. My other philosophies are slightly less justifiable... Ice cream is much better than candy because it has milk in it, and you can have cookies as long as you have milk with them lol.

I have to triple up my

Comment by Vennificus (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 10:25

I have to triple up my extra rich hot chocolate, then add a dollop of sugar and a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg.
that's carnation anyway. Only double the land o' lakes stuff, shit's powerful.

Sweet tooth and tea

Comment by Kyon (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 10:40

I have the same problem, I always get the sweet sugary coffee and my cub-bard is full of childish cereal.
If you are into the tea I would recommend getting the Green Tea Latte with Soy milk, its slightly sweeter than the norm with bovine lactose, just don't get it iced, the soy tends to form into globules and settle at the bottom of the cup, it looks gross.

Side note I finally achieved getting not just one but two full sets of the Star Trek com badges from the cereal boxes! yay!...

Ahaha, congrats! Which ones

Comment by Ananth Thu, 06/11/2009 - 11:41

Ahaha, congrats! Which ones did you get?

Com badges

Comment by Kyon (not verified) Fri, 06/12/2009 - 01:07

I have two of the the Starfleet command, Engineer and Science officer, then one Ramulan (I'm pretty sure I spelled that wrong) and Klingon. now I have over a months worth of fruit loops and Frosted flakes, lol.

Sweet Tooth

Comment by Tony B. (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 10:47

I too have a sweet tooth, but my metabolism has never been that high. A good rule of thumb to follow is that for every sugary thing you have, you give up another.

For example: My biggest offender is coffee. I love my coffee with sugar (think John's in this boat too), so during the colder months, when I drink more coffee than right now, I give up most of my sweets. Candy, cake, ice cream, etc.

It sets up a better balance of sugar in your system. Just gotta watch it as we progress in age...dunno about you, but I'd like to avoid that 30-year-old gut I see going around these days.

Sweet Tooth

Comment by JT (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 11:12

I have a sweet tooth and a high metabolism, so does my mother. Guess what she developed later in life and currently I have to watch her struggle with? Diabetes- That is how I control my sweet tooth lol. Just tell yourself when you're getting that extra shot, "This will kill me, I will die from this." It'll all be fine.

I think I am at least safe

Comment by Ananth Thu, 06/11/2009 - 11:43

I think I am at least safe from this ... I don't think there's a history of diabetes in my family ... uh, I think ...

Addicted to Caoc..ao

Comment by William (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 12:37

Hey there Ananth, recent reader first time poster. (Love Applegeeks as well.) Yeah my sweet tooth is a particularly evil variety. I have an addiction to chocolate that's nearly incurable, especially that Pound Plus stuff you can buy at Trader Joes. I curb the urge by remembering that I would like to keep my cavity count low. (I have enough aready). Also, my metabolism is ridiculous. I'm twenty five and I eat enough for two people every meal every day and I'm still the same weight I was in High School. One Hundred and Fourteen pounds. The muscle I put on landscaping probably brought it up to One-Sixteen/One Seventeen. I'm like an elf in size thanks to this.

By the by? Not a coffee person? Me neither. Love the smell, hate the taste and caffine. Friend of mine introduced me to Herbal Coffee you can buy at whole foods. It's essentially imitation coffee but it's really good. No buzz or bad aftertaste either. Expensive though.

Thrrp

Comment by Coryjonc (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 12:40

Forget about the spitting sound effects, that tiny straw-drinking effect was spot on.

I just finished reading this comic, and in it, I heard of the Green Tea frappacino for the first time ever- I'm on my way to get one as we speak.

Glad to be of service! ;)

Comment by Ananth Thu, 06/11/2009 - 13:02

Glad to be of service! ;)

Wow...

Comment by Coryjonc (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 22:58

Dude, it was pretty good.

Solution: Get Depressed

Comment by Ceylon (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 13:47

Ah, you still have your metabolism and sweet tooth?

Jess's above comment is right, though.
If you want to get rid of it, emotional attacks work the best.
I had mine wiped out last fall by a cruel, merciless, and over-controlling studio professor. He made me feel so bad that I lost interest in eating, and WOW!, no more energy, and no more sweet tooth.

This is not a solution I would wish on anyone else, though.

getting over sweet coffee

Comment by saijoy (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 14:04

It took working at a Barnes and Noble Cafe for three years before I could have a regular cup of coffee, and I still put vasts amounts of sugar into it. You just have to start to slowly ween yourself off it. I started with zebra mochas (white and regular mocha mixed together half and half) and i put extra syrup in it, and only half the espresso. eventually i got used to the taste that i started doing the full amount of espresso, then regular amount of syrup. Now i have to get an extra shot of espresso for it not to be super sweet.

but again, this was a process that took three years. also, i got rediculously broke during the time and had to start buying coffee for my home brewer. I went to the "grind your own beans here" places at the grocery store, mixed like four different flavors of coffee (irish creme, vanilla, hazelnut, and breakfast blend) and also invested in flavored creamer and sugar. that also helped.

Sugar

Comment by Meister Jazz (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 14:06

Sugar control...i get whims, but then I just give in. Cherry sour candies are my current poison. Reese's pieces are heaven. Ice cream, sometimes. or coffee with a ton of sugars.

those spitting sound effects were pretty awesome.

Candle

Comment by Lynx (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 15:53

I really wish she'd stop drinking candles...

bwahaha

Comment by Dagga G (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 16:05

but seriously, I am a "sweet tooth" as you call it, and I promise you, trying to get it under control is only for masochists

Sweet tooth problems.

Comment by Redge (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 16:20

I eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or cereal for dessert. Yes, still bad for you, but not as bad as ice cream and baked goods and such.

PB&J

Comment by coryjonc (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 23:01

Oh, they're not that bad for you man.

ah! so delicious!

Comment by cabbit (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 16:42

green tea frappucino is my absolute favorite! it's the only thing i get at Starbucks.. well that and maybe a giant sugar cookie to go with it haha. it's no wonder you didn't like her coffee. Starbucks coffee tends to be very bitter. I usually drink black coffee, but I prefer dunkin donuts black coffee over starbucks. Maybe you should try dunkin donuts coffee with milk and sugar in it :) it's very good ^_^

Comment by jason (not verified) Sat, 06/13/2009 - 03:09

i agree! dunking donuts coffee is awesome!

yes!! another person! ^_^

Comment by meg (not verified) Sun, 06/14/2009 - 18:19

yes!! another person! ^_^

My sweet tooth is pretty

Comment by Aeyoqen (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 17:44

My sweet tooth is pretty crazy as well, and I do the same when I go get specialty coffee drinks (or when I make things at home). In all truth, I just eat a lot of sweet things...but I also run everyday, so I guess that makes up for the massive amounts of sugar I consume.

Also, there's a coffeeshop near here that serves what's called a Dark Voodoo: sweetened condensed milk, chocolate milk, coffee, coconut milk, two types of chocolate (I think) and some sort of cinnamonish spice. It's like drinking an amazing sort of syrup, not to mention it's the sweetest drink I've ever had. <3.

sweet tooth

Comment by Kero (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 18:00

you never try to control your sweet tooth! embrace the sugary sweetness of delicious treats and beverages =D never deprive yourself of the sweetness!it is your given RIGHT to eat delicious sweets! all hail sugar! all hail sugar!

Try something wildly different

Comment by Eon (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 21:26

This will either reinforce your sweet tooth or shock you out of it. Living in Japan, I was introduced to a very unusual fruit: Bitter Melon. Looks like a cross between a gourd and a cucumber. Possibly a zucchini with acne. If you've never heard of it, ask Yuko, she might know. To make it, slice it thin, clean it out, and cook it for a LONG time. The flavor has a pleasant hint of nuttyness. That is, of course, after you get past the BIIIIIIITTEEEEERRRRR!!!!

Best luck

(Before trying it, I'd eat sugar raw, in packets or straight out of the bag... Calmed down fairly quick. Could be other reasons for the change, but I suspect the bitter melon.)

Sweet Foods

Comment by Omnomnom (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 21:36

My metabolism is average. :|

I still love dark chocolate- even the cheap ones you can get at gift card stores. Not to mention a whole host of other sugary snacks. (I've eaten boxes of breath mints like Altoids, Icebreakers in the space of a few hours- I have a mild addiction) But, almost without exception, I will eat everything in nibbles and as slowly as possible. If there's too much flavor in my mouth, I wait a minute, then I continue. It's a great way to prolong the process of eating.

Like a few other posters, I'm (normally) too lazy to go buy my own things. |D If my stomach were more intelligent, my waist would be screwed over!

Usually though, I do other things to distract myself from food. I've totally cut myself off from sugary drinks at home; I only drink unsweetened tea, usually green or some type of herbal. If I sit at the computer or read a good book, I can forget about eating entirely. |D

I think as children and

Comment by Garth (not verified) Thu, 06/11/2009 - 23:46

I think as children and teens who have sweet tooths longer actually develop more physically (and maybe mentally too though it's debatable) you may see that when your metabolism slows down your sweet tooth begins to disappear on it's own. Or maybe you'll develop diabetes :P

Sweet tooth, I haz

Comment by Raika (not verified) Fri, 06/12/2009 - 00:54

I'm the notorious sweet tooth of the family... Actually I'll devour pretty much anything flavorful. I also have a high metabolism, so my body went through a lot of abuse when I was a kid devouring candy on a regular basis. It's gotten cavities bad, and since then I've avoided as much candy as possible (though if it's a small amount I'll probably eat it).

I think the best bet is if you don't really want to give it up is to find something naturally sweet and is good for you, like fruits. I love fruit - strawberries, watermelon, apples, oranges, mangos, peaches, lychees, guavas... the list goes on. Cut down on the artificial, manufactured stuff that's pumped with sugar and other bad stuff and find healthier alternatives.

Green tea

Comment by sailorvista (not verified) Fri, 06/12/2009 - 03:52

I works as a manger at a starbucks and during training we have to taste every drink to know what it taste like. I hate to say this due to I know now that it going to start tasting like it but to me the Green Tea Frappucino taste like grass to me. but that me I am more a Chai tea fan my self or tea mixed with Lemon aid.

grass

Comment by Maku (not verified) Wed, 06/17/2009 - 22:16

It's amusing that someone else thinks that. I like the taste but I find the smell very grassy like....falling face first on a hike through the woods.

It's to be assumed though, the green stuff is just ground up tea leaves and sugar o__o;

I gots a suggestion

Comment by Thell (not verified) Fri, 06/12/2009 - 05:20

Well I used to have quite the sweet tooth back in my younger days of 2-3 years ago. I ended up starting to dip cope until I saw how much that costed me. So now I spit seeds and that helps a quite a bit keeping the sweet tooth away

I work at Starbuck's

Comment by Pandja (not verified) Fri, 06/12/2009 - 07:55

And was relaly into the green tea fraps for a while. Try it with some raspberry substituted for the classic syrup they put in. I wouldn't recommend going full-raspberry, though... that's eyeball-achey sweet.

You might also enjoy a vanilla bean creme fappachino with caramel or vanilla syrup added (there's not syrup in that, just a bean powder). Also delicious!

I'm more with Yuko though, I'm a coffee girl. though I have my super-sweet-tooth days.

trying to get rid of my "Barista Belly" however.

Oh, and I realize my comment

Comment by pandja (not verified) Fri, 06/12/2009 - 08:05

Oh, and I realize my comment is not at all helpful in your kicking your sweets habits. let me think on that a tick, too:

I go through a vast amount of lightly sweetend (with honey) iced tea to avoid soda and beer. I often use decaffeinated herbal teas (wild sweet orange, chamomile, or honey vanilla). This helps me stay around the weight I am, without completely undermining my exercise habits (which are sadly sporadic). Also, instead of gobbling sweets you're getting a little bit of sweet AND hydrating your body!

I bake a lot, and tend to make "healthy" treats like crisps made with fat-free graham crackers and lots of dried fruit and a lot less sugar, and low-fat, low-sodium butter. Then I have quasi-healthy snacks to nibble instead of candy or cookies!

I carry little baggies of "gorp" around with me to nibble. the best Gorp is made with dark chocolate chips and cranberries mixed with nuts and granola. It's satisfying, sweet and salty!

When I do indulge I will always get the very smallest size. This is better for my tummy AND my wallet, and helps with that whole "moderation" thing.

Everyone else has lots of helpful advice too, so I'm gunna stop here!

Tastes Like Candles

Comment by Virtual Bob (not verified) Fri, 06/12/2009 - 08:55

I keep chuckling over that. I keep thinking of Ralph Wiggums' "It tastes like...burning!" line.

I'm the same way as Yuko. I

Comment by Rich (not verified) Fri, 06/12/2009 - 09:11

I'm the same way as Yuko. I don't like overly sweet things, probably due to living in Japan for some time, as they don't like overly sweet stuff either. When it comes to tea, my favorite type is cold, unsweetened green tea.

Sweet but bitter

Comment by Peach (not verified) Fri, 06/12/2009 - 11:30

I've always been a fan of coffee but I can NOT drink it black. That is way to bitter for me, but I also can't have to much sweetener in it because than it's too sweet and I can't drink it. It needs to have enough sweetener to level out the bitterness but it can't be so sweet I can't taste the coffee at all. The same thing goes for just about anything.
I usually get 80% cocoa dark chocolate because it has the bitter/sweet [or dark chocolate with almonds because the almonds are crunchy!].
Fruit is the same. I can't eat strawberries or peaches, or mangoes, or any fruit that's too sweet. I think that's how I balance my sweet tooth. It needs to be equally bitter or sour.

Have you tried...

Comment by Nerv (not verified) Fri, 06/12/2009 - 13:43

Green Tea Lemonade from starbucks? nom nom nom. I often order it without ice, so it tastes even sweeter cause its not cold. My sister calls me a freak, but you can so taste the sweetness more when its not so cold.....

Crazy sweet tooth

Comment by ex-barista (not verified) Fri, 06/12/2009 - 16:08

I used to work at Starbucks and I love sweet things so it was really hard to not just make a frappucino or a drink. Especially when we weren't busy, I'd be sitting there with all of the sweet stuff staring me down.

You're a nice guy, Anath,

Comment by Javier (not verified) Fri, 06/12/2009 - 19:25

You're a nice guy, Anath, but you're the sort of coffee drinker I hate. Also, I used to be a huge sweet tooth. I overcame it through deprivation. With help limiting my access to sweets, a touch of self-control, and turning more to cherries and watermelon then candy, after a month or so my sweet tooth just disappeared. Nowadays, when I eat something that would have met my old standards, it just seems way to sweet to me. Also, I now enjoy real coffee.

A cure for a sweet tooth?

Comment by Mushroom Lady (not verified) Sat, 06/13/2009 - 21:01

That's easy. The trick is to eat so many sweet things that you get sick of them. Drink a mug of sugar (just sugar. Nothing else. Fill it up with sugar and gulp it down; do this multiple times if the first doesn't do the trick), or spend an entire day eating only candy for breakfast, lunch and dinner (the next day, you can go back to normal food).
Both are proven cures passed down in my family for generations... but I have to wonder: are we all secretly sadists?

Gymnema Sylvestre

Comment by Will (not verified) Sun, 06/14/2009 - 01:58

A truly diabolical solution can be found in the herb gymnema sylvestre. If you chew the leaves or take it in pill form and let it dissolve on your tongue for a minute or two it completely knocks out your sense of sweetness for fifteen minutes or so. In one of my classes my professor gave us each a pill and then handed out m&ms and pixie sticks and other very sugary things. Without their sweetness, all that was left was their texture. The pixie sticks felt sandlike, the m&ms were dull, it was amazing/awful. It's kind of fun to play around with, but it's also an easy way to curb your interest in sweets temporarily. And it's pretty widely available on the internet because apparently it has some use in treating diabetes.

Green Tea Latte/Frappucinos

Comment by speveril (not verified) Sun, 06/14/2009 - 07:11

(I find that the green tea latte is pretty close to the exact same drink as the green tea frappucino, except it's hot.)

I love these drinks, but my girlfriend can't stand them. (I must admit that I have a weakness for drinks that are vibrant, unnatural colours.) The first time I got one and gave it to her to try, she responded similar to Yuko except she claimed that it tastes the way freshly cut grass smells (like sailorvista mentioned). I agree, really... but that doesn't mean I don't like it. Ever since, we've referred to these drinks as hot and cold grass-milk.

Yum.

Sounds alot like me. Only

Comment by Holly (not verified) Sun, 06/14/2009 - 10:17

Sounds alot like me. Only coffee i take is in a Coffee Crisp chocolate bar. I take a smoothie over every type of drink anyday.

I like my coffee extra

Comment by Xenres (not verified) Sun, 06/14/2009 - 15:13

I like my coffee extra strong. I'm not sure when I came to like it that way. No sweetners, no cream, nothing. Straight espresso. I think it had more to do with my friends coming over and always stealing my drinks, I think i developed it more of a self defense. MAI COFFEE!

This might suck, but for

Comment by cyn (not verified) Sun, 06/14/2009 - 15:55

This might suck, but for trying cut down on sweets, just cut them out completely for a while. My friend went no sugar and he was a major candy eater before, and after about a month (a long time, I know) he stopped craving sugar completely. He went for a year (I think he was crazy)

I went without refined sugar and used honey for everything instead and ate lots and lots of carrot sticks. When I started eating sugar again, I find I eat far less of it. I am now at the point I don't even over indulge in chocolates anymore.

(a warning, if you are crazy bad like I was, you get hungry and bad cravings after a few days to a week. thus the carrot sticks... and sugarless gum. try thinking of it like an addiction. and when you slowly reintroduce it, it will taste all that much more better!!!)

Oh definately. My dad is

Comment by Istra (not verified) Wed, 07/08/2009 - 00:32

Oh definately. My dad is diabetic. When he first became diabetic, my entire family went off sugar. (I was very young and couldn't protest.) A few months later, we were at a party and I tried to eat some cake (thinking YAY!) and it was gross.

Now, when I find myself craving sugar & sweets more often than not, I'll go on a sugar strike for about a week. The first three days are miserable, but afterwards my sweet tooth is back under control. ^_^

Both worlds

Comment by ~L.K. (not verified) Mon, 06/15/2009 - 16:35

I can only stand very black or thick coffee, like Turkish coffee, or those lightly-flavored sugary-sweet coffee drinks. I cannot stand the middle-road!

You gotta work for it!

Comment by Joe (not verified) Mon, 06/15/2009 - 20:23

My mom doesn't really like sugary food, so the only time there are ever really any sweets in my house is when I'm craving sugar enough to actually go ahead and bake something myself.

As far as coffee (or coffee like drinks) goes, it's mostly about limiting yourself. 1 12-oz cup a day is all you're allowed get from now on, as decreed by me, the guy sitting a couple hundred miles away on the other end of the computer screen.

You guys are in Maryland,

Comment by Jude (not verified) Tue, 06/16/2009 - 02:07

You guys are in Maryland, right? Have you ever been to City Dock Coffee in downtown Annapolis? If not, I highly recommend that you try their chai, oreo (or toffee) cappuccino chill, or the jamaican iced tea! They are all fantastic (I'm always get a large iced chai. Om nom.)

sweet tooth

Comment by Astro (not verified) Tue, 06/16/2009 - 08:09

You can wean yourself off the sugar. You can try to put less and less in to your drinks each time and you will find that it will still taste sweet.. you need to train your tastebuds to recognise the sweetness, even when there is less in there! (or just try and use artificial sweetener.. )
Same goes for over salting food.. which I admit to doing :-)