Yuko's back from Japan!

Yuko's back from Japan!

Wed, 06/17/2009 - 23:03 by Ananth in response to flights and flights of stairs

Welcome to our new readers!

So we were supposed to run Jami's guest comic today - it's still going to run next Tuesday! Yuko was conscious enough to pretty up one of the comics she drew in her Japan journal, so here we are. She does lament how terrible she is at Japanese, but between you and me I don't think it's that bad. At least, it's better than mine.

Oh! We have a new shirt up for preorder! Preorders will be open until June 30th. The shirt is based on this Johnny Wander comic about the Respectable Field of Zoolology ... Yuko's animals crack me up every time I look at them. Here's a look at the design below (image clicks through to the store!):

Hope you like it! :D

Comments

Best. Shirt. Ever.

Comment by Lizzer (not verified) Wed, 06/17/2009 - 23:12

Best. Shirt. Ever.

i second this... best shirt

Comment by meg (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 01:43

i second this... best shirt every created. lol

Hahaha, so glad you like it!

Comment by Ananth Thu, 06/18/2009 - 08:45

Hahaha, so glad you like it! XD

Now, thanks to you guys, my

Comment by Lizzer (not verified) Sat, 06/20/2009 - 00:54

Now, thanks to you guys, my friend and I are replying ZooLOLogy animals on Twitter. XD

this shirt is a 50% Win /

Comment by Jingseng (not verified) Mon, 06/22/2009 - 21:34

this shirt is a 50% Win / 45% polyawesome / 5% Merino Lool blend.

agreeed

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 07/30/2009 - 12:10

agreeed

Nihon and Zoolology

Comment by Kyon (not verified) Wed, 06/17/2009 - 23:16

At least you make audible sounds when speaking Japanese (i'm assuming). I tried to use what I learned in my two years of study at a sushi place and ended up walking out without ordering due to embarrassment. Speaking it to a total stranger is more of a challenge then reciting things to my dog.
The Zoolology shirt is awesome!

Most sushi restaurants are

Comment by Ambiguous Puma (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 10:47

Most sushi restaurants are run by Koreans from what I noticed. Perhaps that was the problem.

Japanese speaking in the language's motherland

Comment by Koiyuki (not verified) Wed, 06/17/2009 - 23:28

As a student and amateur teacher of the language I completely relate to what she's saying. I remember when I was a cart wrangler for Toys'R'Us and I was offering to help a Japanese woman carry her bags into the car. After I told her and she asked "Watashi?" I did the treat foreigner like a preschooler bit, soon after putting her stuff in the truck and smacking myself for not responding back in Japanese. I still kick myself every time I think about that and keep it in mind when I set out to practice what I know.

ゆこは日本語が話さ

Comment by KM (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 00:03

ゆこは日本語が話さない?

Thank you nine years of studying the language. Now if only I lived near a place with the JLPT. :D
And the sentence is probably still wrong. :(
Yeah, came over due to QC linkage, and decided to stay for the LOLs.

From a fellow hapa...

Comment by Rae (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 00:05

My dad moved to Canada from Japan when he was in his 20's and married a Ukrainian lady. The result, me and my brother. But while my brother was lucky enough to go to Japanese school for a few years, I only got to take one year of Japanese in high school, an experience equal to boarding the HMS Failboat. My dad never taught me the language (though thankfully I grew up with a lot of Japanese food, mmmmmm) but I always feel like such a fake when people ask me to say stuff and I cannot come up with anything better than "Can I go to the toilet?" or when I can't have a conversation with my grandmother when she calls on special occasions.

You probably aren't as bad at speaking as you think you are, and your Hiragana looks good too.

Also, awesome shirt is awesome. Want.

Zoolology print?

Comment by Annette (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 00:15

Oh man, I love the zoolology design, but I don't wear t-shirts!

Any chance of getting it as a print? :)

Probably not, I'm sorry to

Comment by Ananth Thu, 06/18/2009 - 08:49

Probably not, I'm sorry to say! It was always meant to be a t-shirt ... we've also got 3 prints, so we're probably not going to add a new one for a little while.

flights and flights of stairs - T Shirt

Comment by CD (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 00:27

I would love the flights and flights of stairs for a T Shirt - though to make it more relevant for me - it should be in chinese. My tones are so sloppy.

Or maybe make it generic in your language of choice.

I don't know why, but the

Comment by Keyaroscuro (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 00:33

I don't know why, but the LOLphin almost had me in tears. Nothing should be allowed to be that funny.

Hahaha, for me it was the

Comment by Ananth Thu, 06/18/2009 - 08:51

Hahaha, for me it was the armadiLOL.

Why is it...

Comment by Joe (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 01:04

That even though I'm severely arachnophobic, animated/drawn spiders not only do not bother me, but appear cute at times? Seriously.

Also, at least you can remember some of it. I took Japanese 1 and 2, but I forget almost everything I learned in the class. I should really try and practice it again. Damn languages and their being difficult and crap.

Oh my

Comment by Tarrant (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 01:25

That has got to be one of the best shirts ever.

And Yuko's analogy applies to me with Cantonese. T___T

OH YES

Comment by Jason (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 02:04

i've been waiting for a new comic!

welcome back Yuko! RECORD YOURSELF TALKING IN JAPANESE FOR US, YOUR FAITHFUL FANS.

Must have shirt. ._.

Comment by Cheri (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 02:16

Must have shirt.

._.

lol

Comment by Karlee (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 02:22

That shirt is amazing!! I want one. (Although I just got a bunch of shirts from Threadless, so I really shouldn't...).

Poor Yuko - at least you can't get broken bones from miscommunication (in most cirumstances).

Zoo-lol-igy.

Comment by Cowdog (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 03:28

Tarantu-lol! HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

i love a good NERD when i get home from work.

Comment by Weirden (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 05:05

W-W-W-WELCOME BACK! is it odd that i noticed the Tatoo on the right arm before i read the contents of the shirt? and am consquently curios about it for no other reason than 'just cause'? most excellent shirt as well^_^. AND IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW, NERD is an energy drink>_>.

DO WANT

Comment by Wehrmacht (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 07:54

DO WANT SHIRT.

Hmm...

Comment by Kasek (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 08:12

Something seems different about Yuko in the comic.

Is it new glasses?

Lol, I jest. Why the darker hair? Is it a one-time thing being a direct-from-journal comic, or were you inspired by last week's guest comic?

Also, Forgot

Comment by Kasek (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 08:16

Awesome shirt is loltastic.

...bumbLOLbee? EagLOL? JelLOLfish? Sorry, thinking to myself ^_^;;;

New Shirt

Comment by Li_Akahi (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 08:26

Will these be available for purchase at Otakon?

It seems very unlikely for

Comment by Ananth Thu, 06/18/2009 - 08:56

It seems very unlikely for the time being ... I'm going to be piggy-backing off of someone else's booth selling Applegeeks Volume 1s in either the artist alley or dealer's room, so I'm going to be relying on peoples' generosity for space. Getting space at Otakon was a real crap shoot this year. We'll probably have some at Connecticon, though!

If this changes we will be sure to post about it!

I recognised some of that!

Comment by Ellie (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 09:06

I started studying Japanese using Rosetta. I was determined to learn from the hiragana, and not use any romanised form at all. The end result? I recognise random hiragana, but not enough to be useful!

I could read all the variations on "I'm sorry" and "excuse me", but that's all my fail could do >_<

Oh Wow....

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 09:30

I loooooooove the ROFLope!

Mmmmshirt <3

Comment by Xib (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 09:43

That is an amazingly awesome shirt, and I want it *greedy fingers*. Totally buying it as soon as I get home from work :B

My mum is japanese, and she's living over there right now so I don't get to talk to her much. I'm always afraid I'm going to forget the language D: But don't worry, Yuko, just practice by reading lots of japanese manga and watching lots of anime, and wandering bbs sites ;D Truly, it is the perfected art of practicing japanese.

I should probably work harder on English though. ._. My life is too full of grammarfail.

So in this comic today,

Comment by SirBayer (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 09:51

So in this comic today, you're telling me that listening to Yuko speak Japanese is extremely entertaining

Oral is harder...

Comment by ProjektSoul (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 10:59

I think it's something about the verbal part of the language...

I did Japanese for a couple of years and can still write, read, and understand it orally....but ask me to speak anything and I get the deer-in-the-headlights look. O.O'

Your Hiragana is very nice though! Mine looks like chickenscratch...but then again so does my English XD.

well, at least people don't

Comment by abcdario (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 11:03

well, at least people don't have to be "guessing mimic" around Yuko. You know, some of us don't speak a single word of it lol

About that shirt...

Comment by Classy (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 11:22

I want it. ;-; But I'm going to have to wait about two more weeks + the ten day paypal wait (bugger). I hope it'll still be around? x:
Also, great web comic. I'm really glad I was brought to this place, the entire archives made me laugh and now a few friends and I are cracking jokes about zoolology.

Yes, it'll be around!

Comment by Ananth Thu, 06/18/2009 - 14:02

Yes, it'll be around! Preorders end June 30, so you've got more than 10 days for sure!

Actually

Comment by Classy (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 18:05

It's more like 24 days, 'cause I have to wait until my next payday (two thursdays from now) and then paypal's ten day wait, 14+10. .__.;
(Sorry if I worded it weird last time saying "two weeks + ten days".)
I think that'll end up being about July 10th-12th depending on paypal. x: (Heey, July 10th, my birthday...)

I'll see what I can do!

Comment by Ananth Thu, 06/18/2009 - 18:36

I'll see what I can do!

It's better than mine...

Comment by Apolloin (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 12:10

I can speak a little Japanese, but sadly most of what I learned I learned watching Anime. Before I went out to Japan a friend who is fluent told me to be very careful about the Japanese I used - Anime Japanese tends to make one sound like either a 12 year old schoolgirl or a Yakuza.

Also, for some reason, when I try and speak Japanese I emulate Toshiro Mifune. Bad, bad idea...

Yayness from a happy new fan!

Comment by TehMemphis (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 12:19

I meandered over here yesterday from QC, and immediately read all of your archive.... Along the way I couldn't help but think "Damn a shirt with all of the 'lol' animals would be hilarious..." You are either mind readers or fantastic marketers. Either way... love the comic and the shirt!

Ahhh that shirt is soo

Comment by Neffer (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 13:26

Ahhh that shirt is soo awesome, will have to get it for the other half. We play the animalol game all the time now, it's the besteresesest.

Hey is that you two wearing

Comment by Coryjonc (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 14:54

Hey is that you two wearing the shirts in the picture? I'm just wondering.

Ananth wishes he had a

Comment by conrad Thu, 06/18/2009 - 15:26

Ananth wishes he had a tattoo that badass.

I really do.

Comment by Ananth Thu, 06/18/2009 - 15:59

I really do.

What's stopping you?

Comment by Coryjonc (not verified) Fri, 06/19/2009 - 17:51

What's stopping you?

Shirt

Comment by Matt (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 15:00

First off, is this a one time thing for the shirt?

Second, is the shirt pre-shrunk?

Depends on how well

Comment by Ananth Thu, 06/18/2009 - 16:03

Depends on how well preorders go!

They are pre-shrunk.

Thanks!

Comment by Matt (not verified) Fri, 06/19/2009 - 15:01

I can't tell you how many times I bought a shirt even from a store and they shrunk after I wore them the first time; waste of money, but my brother got a lot of free shirts.

Y'know,

Comment by Shamas (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 15:32

usually it takes a webcomic months or even years for it to settle into a groove and find its own voice. But you guys just sauntered on in and were immediately iconic. One second there was nothing, and the next there was charming awesomeness. I applaud and envy your seamless emerging into this realm.

Which begs the question, are there other webcomics or something along those lines with Ananth or Yuko's names attached floating around on the web?

Yep

Comment by Chris D. (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 16:42

www.applegeeks.com

He's the writer or something. ^_^