Yuko's back from Japan!

Yuko's back from Japan!

Wed, 06/17/2009 - 23:03 by Ananth in response to flights and flights of stairs

Welcome to our new readers!

So we were supposed to run Jami's guest comic today - it's still going to run next Tuesday! Yuko was conscious enough to pretty up one of the comics she drew in her Japan journal, so here we are. She does lament how terrible she is at Japanese, but between you and me I don't think it's that bad. At least, it's better than mine.

Oh! We have a new shirt up for preorder! Preorders will be open until June 30th. The shirt is based on this Johnny Wander comic about the Respectable Field of Zoolology ... Yuko's animals crack me up every time I look at them. Here's a look at the design below (image clicks through to the store!):

Hope you like it! :D

Comments

I'm also aware of Yuko's

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sun, 06/21/2009 - 07:29

I'm also aware of Yuko's

www.fallencomic.com

So yeah, they're definitely not new to the scene.

Came over from QC a few days

Comment by Shew (not verified) Thu, 06/18/2009 - 22:38

Came over from QC a few days ago and spent the night going through the archives.. Stayed because of the Daisuki-yaki strip because that is the story of my LIFE. And I'm not even Japanese.. But all of my humor surrounds Asian culture because I'm totally in love with Korea and Japan. If I were asked to say something in Korean, this would be me.. With no pronunciation skills at all. ToT So I feel your pain.

Book

Comment by Lisa (not verified) Fri, 06/19/2009 - 00:21

Hey guys will there ever be a book published? With your nnewsposts edited to go with each comic? I would totally buy that for a reasonable price for this economy. :D

Seriously, loving the comics, enough that I printed off a few to show my mum. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANTS.

We'd like to do a book! I

Comment by Ananth Fri, 06/19/2009 - 00:32

We'd like to do a book! I think it'd be select blog entries, probably not all of them ... some of them are a little rambly or talk about stuff outside the context of the particular comic, which means it wouldn't work too well for a book.

How could you forget...

Comment by Chris D. (not verified) Fri, 06/19/2009 - 06:54

the coelolcanth?

Language of horror

Comment by Legbreaker (not verified) Fri, 06/19/2009 - 08:47

First of all, lots of compliments for this awesome webcomic! I got a recommandation from one of your readers cause he knows how much I likes good ones.

Japanese language...of course after having watched I-dunno-how-many-millions-of-anime-dorama-manga etc, I started to pick up a few words here and there. As I already speak n'write 4 languages, I thought "OH, why not adding a last one, and learnin japanese is so "in vogue" nowadays, why not..." So I went to j-classes, and the first thing the teacher said was "So, grab your pencils, this is going to hurt..." and it did. Honestly, you should never underestimate the Kanji, hira and katakana. They're evil giants haunting your dreams. 2 years of a constant "ARGS I hate them kanjis!" and I gave up. So, anyone who just tries to learn a new language, all my respect. But anyone who manages to learn japanese/chinese/russian, I kiss your brains and wants it and grrr...

That's How I Speak Spanish

Comment by McClaud (not verified) Fri, 06/19/2009 - 11:16

I mean, I understand Spanish when it's spoken to me FINE, but when I have to speak back, I sound like I'm trying to mumble my way through. DAMN VERBS.

I tried learning Japanese back when I was in the military. That was a failure I don't really want to talk about (I actually started a brawl in class because I said something wrong to the wrong student who was already angry about something). Damn gaijin.

Anyway, love the t-shirt. I'm going to have to get my wife one for sure. All we need is a LOLasaurus one, now.

AnimaLOLs

Comment by Razor (not verified) Fri, 06/19/2009 - 11:29

...are awesome. XD

I tried teaching myself Japanese. I even made hirigana flashcards that I often used to pick up and thumb through. I know the sign for "u" because it's the first sound of "unagi"(eel)...and the sign looks like an eel. Oh, and 'pi' because of Piro. XD

I once went to NYC and spent a lovely afternoon in the Kinokuniya bookstore in Rockerfeller Square, where I picked up some grade-school level Hello Kitty-themed tutorial books. That's about my speed! =D

And the circle comes back around

Comment by Thamios (not verified) Fri, 06/19/2009 - 19:46

First, AppleGeeks links me to Questionable Content cause Ananth was in a strip. Then, QC links me here because Jeph was in a comic. It's only a matter of time till Hawk shows up to bring me back to AppleGeeks.

Also, I'm planning on getting one of the zoolology shirts. I haven't seen a shirt that made me laugh so hard in a long while.

As a side note, did anyone else notice that Jeph's shirt was different in each panel of the last comic?

Love this shirt...

Comment by Glomoro (not verified) Fri, 06/19/2009 - 22:35

...and the game that spawned it. I started it up with a friend just after reading the comic earlier and extended it to using other things such as brb (BRBrontosaurus, yo). Found this comic because of Questionable Content and am glad I did, great stuff guys :D

Tokyo Experience

Comment by Ball (not verified) Sat, 06/20/2009 - 06:30

I was in Tokyo once before, and I remember one lady trying to speak to me about something or the other. Now, I just -look- Japanese (or Chinese or Korean depending on where I am/who I'm with), and only understand a handful of phrases, so I tell her, "ごめんなさい、私は日本人ではありません (Sorry, I'm not Japanese)".

She speaks some more Japanese, and I just give her a blank look. She then says, "わかりませんか? (Do you understand?)".

I smile and go, "いいえ、わかりません (No, I don't understand)"

She just stared at me before I realised that I sounded like I was just a Japanese bloke -pretending- not to be Japanese. I later learned from a few friends that my pronunciation was -spot on-.

Ohhh, the look on her face. The shame, the shame.

That's happened to me once,

Comment by kevin. (not verified) Sat, 06/20/2009 - 07:59

That's happened to me once, but I was saying "I don't understand Mandarin" to an old fellow asking for directions on the bus. I speak Cantonese, so I WAS able to understand his response (only just!) which basically was "You say you don't understand it, but you just spoke it!" I just smiled politely and shook my head.

My dad tells me that even though it's the only Mandarin I know, I pronounce it quite well (for someone who claims not to speak it). So now, I just speak in Cantonese to people who speak Mandarin to me and watch them toodle off.

Oh bytheway, that elderly man knew the English name of where he wanted to go, so I was able to help him out :)

ps. I am really loving this comic! I pre-ordered the shirt and hope for many more shirts to come! :]

more shirts

Comment by iori123 (not verified) Sat, 06/20/2009 - 16:29

Hello i was wondering is there going to be anymore phoenix down shirts in mens anytime soon i was wanting to get one and i went and got my gf the zoololgy shirt and she loves it thanx and keep up the good work

Phoenix Down shirts will

Comment by Ananth Sat, 06/20/2009 - 17:45

Phoenix Down shirts will definitely be restocked some time! I'll be sure to announce it on the site when it happens. Thank you! Glad your GF digs it! :D

Shout Out to Me

Comment by Jen (not verified) Sat, 06/20/2009 - 17:26

Awww, how'd you know I was new reader? I'm flattered.

Oh, we make it our business

Comment by Ananth Sat, 06/20/2009 - 17:47

Oh, we make it our business to know. ;)

Hawhawhaw

Comment by JSRadio (not verified) Sun, 06/21/2009 - 15:52

I just saw George's ad. It made me laugh.

Zoology!

Comment by Sam (not verified) Sun, 06/21/2009 - 20:03

Oh man. I'm starting my Zoology Masters work in the fall and I SO want to wear this shirt to the lab I'll be teaching.
*lusts after shirt*

I love this shirt! But I

Comment by Steph (not verified) Sun, 06/21/2009 - 23:20

I love this shirt! But I also have extreme archnophobia. It's quite the dilemma...

In response to your

Comment by Jhube (not verified) Tue, 06/23/2009 - 20:55

In response to your Lolimals, me and my iPod have constructed an WilLOL :D

(on a serious note, hi hello, migrated here from QC, and am loving your comics :D

*jhubeJello

just great =D

Comment by ShuShu (not verified) Mon, 06/29/2009 - 06:19

just great =D

Missed an Animal

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 07/07/2009 - 01:34

you forgot KoLOLa Bear.

it should be a lolephant!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 07/23/2009 - 16:34

it should be a lolephant! but it's still a steller t-shirt :D

How did the pre-orders go?

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 07/24/2009 - 21:50

How did the pre-orders go? Unfortunately I came across this amazing shirt a little too late :( I hope you sold a bunch and are going to sell more because I'd absolutely love one. And I know my brother would want one as well.

worst shirt ever.

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 08/05/2009 - 20:26

worst shirt ever.

It's great to see people

Comment by Amado Carn (not verified) Sat, 06/19/2010 - 21:02

It's great to see people freely expressing their opinion.Thanks for your insights.
implant mammaire

It's great to see people

Comment by implant mammaire (not verified) Sat, 06/19/2010 - 21:03

I can read "Gomenasai,"

Comment by Dr. Sakuya, PhD (not verified) Sun, 07/11/2010 - 17:08

I can read "Gomenasai," "Sumimasen," "Gomene," and "Gomen" from a few of the characters and background knowledge. I'm a weeaboo D:

I TOLD YOU DOG!

Comment by The-Bat-Guy (not verified) Tue, 10/19/2010 - 00:30

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

...
It would have happened eventually, I just heralded it's arrival :P
If you don't get it http://www.mspaintadventures.com/sweetbroandhellajeff/
Best.
Comic.
Ever.

BteyOXVyHJANoUGZr

Comment by Jazlynn (not verified) Sat, 06/25/2011 - 09:52

Super informative witring; keep it up.