we love comics

we love comics

Tue, 06/23/2009 - 00:14 by Ananth in response to guest comic - who loves comics?

Hey guys! Today's guest comic is the last of our two, and it's from Jamie Noguchi of Angry Zen Master. He is also currently artist on Erfworld, and furthermore works at NASA doing graphics and web work. He's also worked for industry heavyweights like Udon and Marvel, so as you can tell he is good, and he has a pretty wide range of skills that run the gamut.

We love comics! It's become a weekly ritual for Jamie and Yuko and I to trade comics - it's how I was turned on to Usagi Yojimbo, among other things. Good stuff!

Oh, Zoolology shirts are still up for preorder (until June 30th)! Previously based on this comic. Head over to our store to preoder, if you like! You can also click through the link on the sidebar.

Comments

Ah-ha!

Comment by Kasek (not verified) Tue, 06/23/2009 - 00:19

I thought he looked familiar. There's a drawn picture of him on the Erfworld website.

I'm more of a manga person myself, but I do have a collection of Sonic comics that spans from about #14 to current issue.

comics!

Comment by Jason (not verified) Tue, 06/23/2009 - 00:23

udon! i remember the taskmaster series udon did for marvel and it totally rocked. udon as a foodstuff is also awesome.

there aren't many comic shops that sell manga here, so i get my manga fix online.

and of course, webcomics! :)

Heh, cool. I've been trying

Comment by Joe (not verified) Tue, 06/23/2009 - 00:24

Heh, cool. I've been trying to slowly get into more and more comics lately - I've been collecting Exiles recently, which is nice since it doesn't have quite as an extensive back catalogue as other series. Not quite sure what other titles to pick up next, though. Wish I had friends with crazy extensive comic collections to browse through.

a lack of back catalogue

Comment by Weirden (not verified) Tue, 06/23/2009 - 00:58

have any recommendations for comics a newcomer to the field could get into? i've read bits and pieces of random comics, and know a lot of random info from my friends/wikipedia, but i've never actually owned one i didn't get for free. i've wanted to get into them, but my biggest pet peeve is not starting from the beginning, or close enough to it that i can pick up on it as i go.

anybody else have suggestions/recommendations?

hmm...

Comment by Jason (not verified) Wed, 06/24/2009 - 02:00

well, you can always pick up collected editions or trade paperbacks. most comic companies nowadays do this for their on-going titles' story arcs. this way, you can test if you like how things go.

i've grown from a marvel to image to dc fan, so i can recommend a few titles from each company that i like. batman trade paperbacks/collected editions are always good (i'm biased).

indies are also awesome, btw! strangers in paradise (before they became affiliated with image/homage) is always a good read, as in bone by jeff smith.

Weirden,It depends on what

Comment by Ananth Wed, 06/24/2009 - 11:10

Weirden,

It depends on what you're interested in reading! Superhero comics are really hard to jump into because you never know where to start ... the only rec. I can honestly make there is Astonishing X-Men Vol. 1-4. Yuko and I own them and we are big fans (think of someone writing a book about the X-Men from your childhood - not the X-Men in the comics, but the X-Men in your head).

As far as books otherwise, I tend to read a lot of indie comics and manga. A lot of people turn their nose up at manga, and truth be told, I do too ... for the most part, I am not a fan, but there are some people doing manga that transcend it. Naoki Urasawa, for instance, is a master of the conspiracy thriller. Aside from manga, we're also big fans of Bryan Lee O'Malley's Scott Pilgrim. If you like urban sci-fi, I'm reading a book called Eden. Let me know what your tastes are! Then I can really help.

Scott Pilgrim, yesssssss.

Comment by Joe (not verified) Wed, 06/24/2009 - 14:34

Scott Pilgrim, yesssssss. Everyone should read Scott Pilgrim.

I've been eyeing up Impaler, recently. It seems pretty interesting, what with the whole "Vlad III is actually helping to fight vampires instead of being one" thing. There's also one volume of a manga-style graphic novel called Gyakushu! that's been out and about for a while now. Story is mostly just a revenge tale, but I love the artwork in it.

And IDW's Transformers series, though that might be me simply being a Transformers fan. But I think it's pretty well written for a Transformers series, and if you're into the whole Transformers thing, it's worth picking up.

Great tradition!

Comment by darrylayo (not verified) Tue, 06/23/2009 - 01:37

One of the coolest things about comics in general is how they invite traditions and encourage people to start their own microcultures. Trading books, Wednesday Rituals, comics jams and so on. COMIX!

The comic

Comment by A.L. (not verified) Tue, 06/23/2009 - 02:15

When I was a wee lad,I use to revel in the ritual of reading a comic,and much of my comic knowledge also came from reading Wizard magazines.Now,even though I still have love for ye olde comic,I am not able to divulge myself on such as I use to,rather suffice this by reading webcomics and reading manga online.I hope to rectify this issue at a later time,because the geek in me is strong though in deep slumber.

The glowing Jawa Ananth eyes

Comment by Sovy Kurosei (not verified) Tue, 06/23/2009 - 06:31

The glowing Jawa Ananth eyes look scary. Reminds me of Alex Mercer from Prototype kind of scary.

The eyes!

Comment by Boots (not verified) Tue, 06/23/2009 - 08:02

It's like they're staring directly into my soul...

so, is this canon? ananth

Comment by Moriarty (not verified) Wed, 06/24/2009 - 11:40

so, is this canon? ananth actually has eyes? i can't believe it!

On a possibly nerdier note...

Comment by Matt (not verified) Tue, 06/23/2009 - 10:15

Ananth's eyes remind me of a ReDead in Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. Anybody else notice that? Anyone? Anyone...? okay...

aw now I miss my old

Comment by abc.dario (not verified) Tue, 06/23/2009 - 12:03

aw now I miss my old spiderman comics haha

If Only I Had Friends....

Comment by John K (not verified) Tue, 06/23/2009 - 13:15

who would spend money on comics that i could trade with them!!!

Now that rocks. Having cool

Comment by mylemonblue (not verified) Tue, 06/23/2009 - 21:35

Now that rocks. Having cool friends with a butt load of comics who like them as much as you do. Yup nothing but awesome and win. ^__^

D=

Comment by Cheri (not verified) Wed, 06/24/2009 - 09:32

God please extend your preorder for this shirt just a day or two longer! DDD=

I want to buy two, but can't until my next payday, that being the day after the 30th.

T_T

Oh! It might mysteriously

Comment by Ananth Wed, 06/24/2009 - 11:00

Oh! It might mysteriously stay open for an extra day or two ... ;) Don't worry!

Oh... Sweet.

Comment by Cheri (not verified) Thu, 06/25/2009 - 00:10

Oh...

Sweet.

SUPER ART FIGHT!

Comment by McClaud (not verified) Wed, 06/24/2009 - 12:46

Yeah, I'm pretty active over on Angry Zen Master. Been to one art fight, and Jamie's a really funny guy. I love Erfworld - he went over the top on that one. Presently waiting for visual results on C-47, as well.

Once you get past his giant robot fetish, Jamie is pretty damn awesome. :D

Those Eyes

Comment by Ender The Xenocide (not verified) Wed, 06/24/2009 - 13:29

Those Eyes

Ananth... has

Comment by Norah (not verified) Wed, 06/24/2009 - 14:02

Ananth... has eyes...?!?!

Fun comic, although I've never really been into comics. I own 1, and it's not even in a series. But still, I laughed. :)

Webcomic trade.

Comment by KM (not verified) Wed, 06/24/2009 - 17:29

/me trades webcomics with Ananth! :D

t-the eyes.

Comment by Kyon (not verified) Wed, 06/24/2009 - 23:31

So Ananth has Jawa eyes?

the third panel is awesome. Kudos to Angry Zen Master for a great guest comic.

i love Resident Evil series

Comment by JohnnyBirkoff (not verified) Mon, 07/20/2009 - 04:30

i love Resident Evil series comics.

TOTORO

Comment by MeiMei (not verified) Wed, 02/23/2011 - 20:42

OHMIGOD TOTORO PICTURE ON WALL GLEE!!!!!!!!