MOVING FOREVER

MOVING FOREVER

Tue, 06/30/2009 - 14:03 by Ananth in response to don't go back to rockville

Hey guys! Sorry the comic posted late; it has been a crazy couple of days. We took last Thursday and Friday to pack everything, spent Saturday loading up the truck, and spent Sunday driving up to NJ to stow everything in a storage unit. Then Conrad stayed up until 4 AM pushing out some client work, after which he caught a bus to Rochester at 10 AM the next morning. Just call him Conrad Coffeemonster Kreyling.

Actually, let me tell you something about Conrad ... he maxed out his truck-driving skilltree this weekend. He managed to drive from MD to NJ without having anything shift ... afterwards, we had to drive a few things back to Yuko's house. We put a stack of notebooks in the back, and when we opened it up, the stack was still standing. It's like he used to deliver tofu for his dad or something.

We also added Conrad's Xbox Avatar to the sidebar there. It's a ritual for us to mess it up at least a few times a week (we try to do it daily), and we decided it'd be fun to share it with you. Hope it gets some snickers, at least.

Finally, Zoolology shirts! I'm extending the preorders to July 3rd (that's this Friday), so if some of you wanted to sneak in some last minute orders, now is the time!

That's all! Hope you guys had a good weekend, sorry I'm not more interesting today!

(Oh, actually I posted a long blog about Naoki Urasawa over at Applegeeks - that might be somewhat interesting! Go look at that!)

Comments

Moving

Comment by Kyon (not verified) Tue, 06/30/2009 - 14:20

Moving is a ton of work, my parents were military and thus we moved pretty much every other year, what a task. Glad to hear nothing went terribly wrong.
Also I hope Conrad rests well, his stamina and determination is inspirational. haha

TRUE STORY

Comment by conrad Wed, 07/01/2009 - 23:54

In my freshman year of college, we were given an assignment in Accelerated CS2: write a file sharing program from scratch using Java. It had to connect to a proprietary name server (that we would have to interact with to support searching), it had to provide a GUI, and support multiple simultanious uploads and downloads via FTP, all of which were cancelable and moniterable.

Only Java bundled libs (Swing, etc) were allowed to be used. Timeline: two weeks.

In two weeks I had completed a project that was so solid it became the testbed by which all other projects were graded. I had basically stopped sleeping, and survived on over a half case of Mountain Dew (still named) a day.

I had a breakdown at my parents house during Christmas. XD

I <3 Urasawa

Comment by Jamie Noguchi (not verified) Tue, 06/30/2009 - 14:30

Thanks again for getting me addicted to Urasawa. I now must empty my wallet to acquire his awsomeness! We'll be visiting you guys sometime soon! I don't know about the weekend of the 11th. I think we might have something to do that weekend, but I'll let you all know!

A Moving Experience

Comment by Virtual Bob (not verified) Tue, 06/30/2009 - 14:30

It's the unpacking that can be interesting. I've still got a few boxes that I have NEVER unpacked after 3 moves (nor have I any idea what's in them). One of these days I'm going to open one and find out what I've done without for 14 years. Maybe I'll find the Ark of the Covenant or a Roswell Alien in one!

Hey, what is Conrad's

Comment by Kosciej (not verified) Tue, 06/30/2009 - 14:34

Hey, what is Conrad's gamertag?

Poor Conrad

Comment by Geoff (not verified) Tue, 06/30/2009 - 14:56

Why are you so mean to make him drive all of that. Did no one volunteer to take turns? Shame on you.

On the plus side, congrats Conrad for your L33t driving skilz.

Does this move have anything to do with the last toaster fire?

I tried volunteering, with

Comment by Ananth Tue, 06/30/2009 - 17:46

I tried volunteering, with the stipulation that I would crash the truck.

I don't know why he didn't want to let me drive!

DAY FOUR

Comment by Shawn Handyside (not verified) Tue, 06/30/2009 - 15:00

DAY FOUR: POOP FOREVER.

Bedpans.

Comment by Matt (not verified) Wed, 07/01/2009 - 10:35

If you're smooth, you can double-whammy on day 3 by sleeping on the toilet.

AUGH, I know that feeling.

Comment by Chelsea (not verified) Tue, 06/30/2009 - 15:03

AUGH, I know that feeling. =__= Are you guys getting settled in yet?

Sort of! We stowed

Comment by Ananth Tue, 06/30/2009 - 17:47

Sort of! We stowed everything in storage and now we're taking our time to do the research we need to.

DUN DUN DUN

Comment by conrad Tue, 06/30/2009 - 15:14

INITIA~~~L T!

*scratch*

Driving every night with a

Comment by Ananth Tue, 06/30/2009 - 17:48

Driving every night with a stack of notebooks on Mt. Jersey!

No possums

Comment by Amuro (not verified) Tue, 06/30/2009 - 15:16

It sounds like you guys had a pretty smooth move (in before bowel jokes) this time around.

It's only a particularly difficult move when you accidentally splatter a possum, or one of your passengers starts choking on something and you panic about there being no emergency room for hundreds of miles and nobody knows anything about anything but then that other guy finally manages to swallow it, and instead of being relieved, you get angry that he had you worried about him dying and then not dying.

It's settled.

Comment by Krimson (not verified) Tue, 06/30/2009 - 15:36

Conrad is a beast.

I bet he crunches open a bag of coffee beans and downs them in one sitting, Popeye-style. And then a little theme song plays and he cracks Bluto across the face. The end.

Dude, you have no idea.

Comment by conrad Wed, 07/01/2009 - 09:44

Dude, you have no idea. Chocolate-covered espresso beans are one of my most favorite things. :D

What happens afterwords?

Comment by Kristen (not verified) Wed, 07/01/2009 - 12:35

I've seen all my friends here at college run on coffee before, but the main curiosity for me is what happens afterwards. My friend Corey passes out, My friend Quinn can't sleep for hours afterwords, and my friend Kris gets the shakes. So the question is what are the after effects of Conrad drinking coffee?

As for me I'm allergic so no coffee for me!

He drinks coffee during the

Comment by Ananth Wed, 07/01/2009 - 19:29

He drinks coffee during the day, not really during the evening ... I think it basically powers him through the day?

EEEE! Thank you so much for

Comment by Cheri (not verified) Tue, 06/30/2009 - 15:51

EEEE! Thank you so much for extending orders for Zoolology. XD

Of course! :D July 3rd

Comment by Ananth Tue, 06/30/2009 - 22:33

Of course! :D July 3rd really is the last day, though!

So wait - Conrad channels Takumi Fujiwara?

Comment by McClaud (not verified) Tue, 06/30/2009 - 16:00

"It's like he used to deliver tofu for his dad or something."

I can see it now - Conrad's U-Haul Speed Stars.

Conrad mostly channels Scott

Comment by Ananth Tue, 06/30/2009 - 17:49

Conrad mostly channels Scott Pilgrim and Kentaro Oe, but there's a little Fujiwara in there for good measure.

Conrad as Kintaro Oe

Comment by McClaud (not verified) Wed, 07/01/2009 - 08:59

I don't know why, but imagining Conrad as Goldenboy breaks my mind (and makes me laugh at the same time).

C-BASE!!!

Comment by conrad Wed, 07/01/2009 - 09:42

I WANT TO GET TO C-BASE!!!

Thanks to you, Conrad

Comment by McClaud (not verified) Wed, 07/01/2009 - 13:40

I have to clean my work desk.

Mountain Dew burns when it comes out my nose.

C-BAAAASSSEEE!

L33thead Movers

Comment by Razor (not verified) Tue, 06/30/2009 - 17:10

Conrad could start a new company. XD

Congrats on the smoooooth move! Moving is love/hate for me. I like it because it forces me to clean out some stuff ("Why in the world am I hanging on to THIS??") and I always like finding out where my stuff is going to go in the new place. OTOH it's tiring and I dread dragging stuff upstairs (I rarely end up getting the downstairs apartment!).

One of the happiest days of my life...

Comment by Chris D. (not verified) Tue, 06/30/2009 - 17:39

was closing on my current house. Since coming home from my undergrad work, I've lived in seven different houses and apartments in the last seven years. It got to the point where I didn't hang anything on walls or didn't unpack boxes.

Finding the one place that will be yours for at least five years is a comforting feeling.

Man, I can't wait.

Comment by Ananth Tue, 06/30/2009 - 17:50

Man, I can't wait.

I know how you feel

Comment by Mr. C (not verified) Tue, 06/30/2009 - 18:22

I also just finished moving. The car ride wasn't forever but the amount of trips i needed to take was overwhelming. Well at least you guys don't have to worry about work... except conrad... you brave soul.

Moving moving moving...

Comment by Bakamoichigei (not verified) Tue, 06/30/2009 - 19:03

I just recently moved, too. It took a MONTH, and I'm NOT EVEN KIDDING. Luckily, it was only to an apartment in the building next door to my old one...but still, I have a LOT OF STUFF. Weeks later, 70% of everything I own is still in boxes.

But then, I guess that's what happens when my priorities are things like "Move all my NEO-GEO arcade hardware over, sit and play games for two days."

Ananth: Have you seen the live-action 20th Century Boys movie? I thought it was really fantastic. I think the second one (The first part of 21st Century Boys) recently started its run in theaters in Japan.

I see nothing wrong with

Comment by conrad Wed, 07/01/2009 - 09:46

I see nothing wrong with those priorities. Indeed the only thing I see wrong with that picture is: I'm not playing KoF'97 on a NeoGeo in it.

Me neither, apparently

Comment by Bakamoichigei (not verified) Wed, 07/01/2009 - 18:47

Me neither, apparently that's the problem. ;D

I can't wait to get around to assembling the whole cabinet, but I fear nothing will be accomplished after that happens. :3

LUCKILY, I am still short a 25" arcade monitor and a coin acceptor.

btw, you mentioned a love of chocolate-covered espresso beans? Have a look at NutsOnline. Besides all manner of fantastic stuff like my personal favorite, wasabi-covered edamame soy beans, they have several different flavors of chocolate-covered espresso beans. :3

I've got a buddy with a

Comment by conrad Wed, 07/01/2009 - 23:56

I've got a buddy with a SuperGun that might be willing to let it go. You're on your own for the coin acceptor. ;)

I'll definitely check that website out, man. Wasabi?? I can feel the delicious heartburn coming on already ...

Hehe, already got something

Comment by Bakamoichigei (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 03:05

Hehe, already got something like a Supergun (My own amalgamation of pieces-parts, actually) for testing my boards. (That's how it's hooked up to the PC monitor)

Aiming for the full-on authentic experience with the cabinet though, thus a stupidly-expensive arcade monitor. That and a coin box are both pretty easy to get, it's just that it costs almost as much to ship a 25" monitor as the actual unit costs. So I'm holding out for something local-ish. :P

One of my projects involves converting single-slot boards into standalone game consoles that you can hook up to a TV or monitor. For my personal cabinet (Or two...) I have a 4-slot and a couple 2-slot boards. And with the new apartment, I finally have the space to entertain such foolish notions. :3

And yeah, wasabi-covered soy beans. They're awesome.

well, he went well through

Comment by abcdario (not verified) Tue, 06/30/2009 - 19:16

well, he went well through level 1, lets see how he goes on lvl2, with earthquakes lol

grats, Conrad!

Comment by Jason (not verified) Tue, 06/30/2009 - 20:31

for displaying mad l33t driving skillz. if you drive like you used to deliver tofu for your dad and like you have a cup of water in on the dash, does that make you the Ghost of MD (now the Ghost of NJ)?

sorry, i'm in Initial D geek.

MOVING! DX

Comment by KM (not verified) Tue, 06/30/2009 - 22:03

I've lived in 3 houses in the last six months and I'm moving again on the 6th, making it 4 HOUSES IN SIX MONTHS!!!111one11 >:0

This one we actually got a mortgage for and we plan on staying until we die, or the world explodes, whichever comes first.

It's like you guys expected

Comment by Chris Burk (not verified) Tue, 06/30/2009 - 22:10

It's like you guys expected me to miss that SPRINTER TRUENO reference... silly jw squad, you can't fool me!

-Chris

Hahaha, yay for nerds.

Comment by Ananth Wed, 07/01/2009 - 19:30

Hahaha, yay for nerds.

on moving

Comment by ritsuka (not verified) Tue, 06/30/2009 - 22:19

Props on the driving skills! I know my next move is gonna be aweful since I have to fly to san francisco and basically get a place in a matter of days! No real driving though thankfully.

Stuff moving stuff yucky moving stuff

Comment by mylemonblue (not verified) Tue, 06/30/2009 - 22:51

Moving is painful. I used to have a room mate that wanted to relocate at the end of every lease. It gets sickly tiring after a while.

Hmmm

Comment by Misti (not verified) Wed, 07/01/2009 - 00:16

Does this mean we'll see you at more Mid-Atlantic and North Eastern conventions?

Hyperbole for the win!

Comment by Ska Ski (not verified) Wed, 07/01/2009 - 01:44

Hyperbole for the win!

Where are the shades?

Comment by Boomer Gonzales (not verified) Wed, 07/01/2009 - 02:34

The Con-Rade shades, where are they?

The shades have been driven

Comment by Ananth Wed, 07/01/2009 - 19:31

The shades have been driven into a stone, where they will remain until one who is pure of heart can draw them out.

Fujiwara Fan!!

Comment by Inujo (not verified) Wed, 07/01/2009 - 05:28

No wonder I like you guys! I know I'm a girl but I love Initial D. But only in the original Japanese. I hate the "Americanization" of it. I even enjoyed the Chinese movie..even though I wanted to see both the brothers not a compulation!
DriftKing Forever!!
oh happy moving

Tofu Delivery Service?

Comment by Virtual Bob (not verified) Wed, 07/01/2009 - 07:12

Firm or Soft?

Firm all the way ... not a

Comment by Ananth Wed, 07/01/2009 - 19:32

Firm all the way ... not a fan of the soft tofu.

Dork Reference!

Comment by Tryster (not verified) Wed, 07/01/2009 - 12:52

Hm, did I detect an Initial D reference there? Or do I need to lay off the action manga...?

Kudos to Conrad, either way. Having moved 16 times I know how annoying it is for things to shift. Oh yes...

You detected right!