GAAAAAAAAAH SO CUTE

GAAAAAAAAAH SO CUTE

Thu, 07/02/2009 - 01:16 by Ananth in response to foxes in the backyard

GAAAAAH

GUYS

GALS

LOOK

Yuko's Mom has been sending her photos of the foxes in the backyard for the past couple of weeks! There used to be two foxes, presumably a male and a female ... because now there are three kits! Well, they're adolescents now. They amble into the backyard during any time of day and just kind of roll around and play in the grass, by themselves and with each other. One of them took a nap! Yuko and I were working in the basement, but we kept wandering upstairs with the hope that we'd catch a glimpse ... lucky us, they were there all day! They hang around the remains of the old storm drain ... At one point the elder fox dragged the remains of a bird out of the woods so the young'ns could play. This also was cute, if slightly macabre.

Yuko won't let me keep one as a pet ): YUKO YOU ARE A HARSH MISTRESS D:

OKAY BACK TO OUTPOST FOXWATCH ALPHA

Oh, and Zoolology preorders end Friday at midnight! Get 'em in while you can!

Comments

didn't she ever see the fox

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 01:27

didn't she ever see the fox and the hound?! c'mon, foxes are awesome pets!! and quite adorable

We almost hit a fox today

Comment by KM (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 01:31

We almost hit a fox today with the car. :( We see a LOT of road-kill here than our old province, and then we noticed the animals will not move, even if you practically drive other them, so... Death by stupid I guess.

I hear they lose the awesome

Comment by Noel (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 03:47

I hear they lose the awesome color of their fur in captivity. :( Maybe best to stay neighbors.

Aw dang, that's no good ...

Comment by Ananth Thu, 07/02/2009 - 11:01

Aw dang, that's no good ... no captivity, then! The current arrangement is nice.

Eh?

Comment by Frog42 (not verified) Mon, 07/06/2009 - 23:16

Breeding out their aggressiveness in Russia created silver foxes, but that was over decades of directed breeding programs. I've never heard of them losing color in one generation?

Ahahaha, that's incredible.

Comment by Steffyanie (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 04:44

Ahahaha, that's incredible. Used to be like that for me, but with raccoons. They'd go out to my friend's deck and we'd go out and feed them cat food. It was really awesome. Wish I could see some foxes, they don't live where I do though. baw. This comic and picture really please me though.

Whoa, raccoons! You didn't

Comment by Ananth Thu, 07/02/2009 - 11:02

Whoa, raccoons! You didn't worry about them getting comfortable and sifting through your garbage? Although I guess they'll do it no matter what ...

Haha, no, we kept it in the

Comment by Steffyanie (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 23:58

Haha, no, we kept it in the garage and kept that shut so they wouldn't get it. (I think they were pleased enough by the cat food.)

Cute and more...

Comment by mylemonblue (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 05:13

Perhaps they are Kitsune? ^.^ Hehehe....

Used to have foxes in our

Comment by Not a Fox (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 05:18

Used to have foxes in our garden that were amazingly adorable. They dug out a little home underneath the shed, popping in and out with the occasional baby fox sticking its nose out.

Then we realised they had also been stealing random stuff from the area. Like a shoes. And hats. And wallets.

At that point, they moved in with us ;)

Hah! Are you implying that

Comment by Ananth Thu, 07/02/2009 - 11:03

Hah! Are you implying that you brought them into your house ... ?!

Oh we did. Completely. They

Comment by Not a fox (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 17:10

Oh we did. Completely. They had a small space in the closet that we let them go into. It was so strange but awesome.

But they disappeared after two weeks. The cubs got a bit too big anyway, and dad was worried about diseases.

Hey, it's a group of

Comment by Chris D. (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 05:41

Hey, it's a group of vulolpes vulolpes...

Oh wow that's adorable, you

Comment by Kindless (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 06:38

Oh wow that's adorable, you guys should post more photos of this~

We'll try! Actually, we're

Comment by Ananth Thu, 07/02/2009 - 11:04

We'll try! Actually, we're having trouble finding the memory card reader ... trials of moving and all that. But as soon as we find a way, you better believe it!

Keep out of the forest if the sun shines while it rains...

Comment by Virtual Bob (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 06:53

That's when the foxes have their weddings and they don't like intruders...

Is this an old story or

Comment by Ananth Thu, 07/02/2009 - 11:05

Is this an old story or something? I'm curious ...

Old Japanese Legend

Comment by Virtual Bob (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 12:18

Go and watch "Dreams" by Akira Kurosawa. It's eight short films by Kurosawa-sama. The concept is covered in the first film: "Sunshine Through The Rain". I don't think you'll be disappointed...

Oh Oh..they say that in

Comment by Shashi (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 20:12

Oh Oh..they say that in South India too..if there's rain and sunshine at the same time, foxes are definitely getting married :)

Oh, and by the way...

Comment by Virtual Bob (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 06:57

Fox Family Tees. Terminal Kawaii. Please.

Hmm, that is an interesting

Comment by Ananth Thu, 07/02/2009 - 11:05

Hmm, that is an interesting idea ... ! We could do Fox Family something, for sure ...

YES, WE WANT TEES!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 13:00

YES, WE WANT TEES!

aawww

Comment by Kyon (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 07:29

That's one thing I miss about the east coast, all the cute foxes and wild critters. We have coyotes out here, but its just not the same.

Dear Yuko

Comment by Robert V Aldrich (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 07:35

(everybody, chant along)
LET ANANTH HAVE A FOX!

What do you have against Ananth?

Comment by Virtual Bob (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 08:49

Fox kits ululate when they're hungry, lonely, bored, scared or realize you're sleeping...
They also get into everything.
Picture something with the curiosity of a cat and the respect for personal property of a bored Jack Russell Terrier left alone.

On Second Thought...

Comment by Virtual Bob (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 08:51

Hahahahaha*is eaten by

Comment by Ananth Thu, 07/02/2009 - 11:06

Hahahahaha

*is eaten by wild foxes*

Except for Death by Snu-Snu,

Comment by Robert V Aldrich (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 22:42

Except for Death by Snu-Snu, is there a better way to die?

whoa!

Comment by Jason (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 08:22

that is a truly amazing sight! we don't have foxes here. :(

more pix please!

Workin' on it! Yuko's memory

Comment by Ananth Thu, 07/02/2009 - 11:07

Workin' on it! Yuko's memory card reader is packed away somewhere. :/ We'll post them asap, though!

There was a Russian

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 08:27

There was a Russian scientist who spent nearly 50 years running experiments to try to domesticate a fox and make it more "dog-like" until the ended up with... well... a dog.

Oh No!

Comment by Kristen (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 10:03

They loose all their cuteness once they've been domesticated. That's horribly sad. I wish that they at least kept a russet color or maybe be quiet you know/

I'm inclined to agree ...

Comment by Ananth Thu, 07/02/2009 - 11:07

I'm inclined to agree ... thank you for the link, it's been a while since I read about Silver Foxes.

Apparently...

Comment by Kasek (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 13:59

I showed that to my (21 year old) sister and apparently she thinks they're adorable and now she wants one despite the probable impossibility of it happening.

They started with silver

Comment by Softspoken (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 21:18

They started with silver foxes (Regular red foxes with unusual colour... Or more accurately, a complete lack of colour) so it doesn't seem like the domestication removed the colour... But they're still not really the same anymore, you know?

Weeell...

Comment by Lady J (not verified) Sat, 07/04/2009 - 22:17

That's not the whole story. Its not just the silver-phase, its also the blue fox. Both of them tend to get flop-earred, and more white, as they're more domesticated (as you can see from the pica in the link!) . BUT the BIIIG difference between a dog and a fox is purely agility. Some dogs can and do jump up or climb things... a "pet fox" will LITERALLY jump on their owners shoulders from the ground and hang out there. They're playful and rumbunctious, and absolutely adorable, and they're clean (litter-box training!). But these are the domesticated ones.
Wild-born-then-tamed foxes are a LOT worse. They're stinky, they're destructive, and they're even more bouncy. You could put a fox into perfectly organized room, just turn your head, and the room will be in utter disarry as it digs, chews, scent-marks, and explores EVERYTHING.
But in general foxes are just amazing and wonderful. We have a few cross-foxes and reds around here, though we're not as lucky as Yuko's parents to have them in your backyard.

Who else is really wanting a domesticated fox-cubby for a pet now??

Argh, now I want one! Also,

Comment by Mike (not verified) Mon, 07/06/2009 - 02:45

Argh, now I want one! Also, you seem to know quite a lot about pet foxes... How did you get them?

I must be the only person in

Comment by Melvic Lillith (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 08:39

I must be the only person in the world that thinks foxes are cuter as rugs then pets.

Of course a fox mauling a famliy pet in eyesight of us and the subsequent vet three day vet visit/bill of $1645, probably doesn't help my opinion of them. The cat is healthy now though, most of the damage was really just teeth marks and gashes.

Why was your cat outside?

Comment by Joel (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 08:53

Cats are only pets inside. Once you let them out they become part of the wildlife, subject to all the joy and terror that nature has to offer.

I'm very sorry your cat got hurt, that sucks for sure. But blaming the fox for it makes as much sense as blaming water for being wet or the sun for being warm.

I agree with your sentiment

Comment by Chris D. (not verified) Fri, 07/03/2009 - 05:35

I agree with your sentiment in general, but I can understand his point too. Things are a lot less cute and fun when it hurts someone or something you love. :-)

Lovin' teh foxes

Comment by Douggerel (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 09:00

My friend had kit foxes playing in her backyard earlier in the year; I never saw them, since they were most active at dawn and dusk, but she did take a few pictures. The cutest part was that one of them stole a dog toy from a neighbor. It was a stuffed hedgehog, and they would play with it like puppies. Yay for baby foxes!

How can you not love those long tailed rascals?

Comment by Classy (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 09:39

That's so cute. All I've ever gotten in my backyard were birds and the occassional bear. .__. And while bear cubs look cute when fumbling with peanuts, they hardly compare with little foxes. xD
Also, much sadness to the preorder. Today's payday but it'll take 8-10 days for Paypal to transfer from my bank to my paypal account. x-x Guess I'll just buy one another time.

Yuko's Mom tells us there

Comment by Ananth Thu, 07/02/2009 - 11:12

Yuko's Mom tells us there are apparently bears back there too, from time to time ... but I think she shares your opinion when it comes to bears vs. foxes.

Sorry about the preorder! I did typo and say say tomorrow instead of Friday (fixed!), so it's a day longer than I originally stated ... but I can't really extend it another week since everyone else is now waiting on their preorder. :/ Zoolology shirts aren't gone forever, though! Also, keep an eye on your Paypal ... sometimes it'll move money over within a day. I think they allow themselves a big buffer just because they can.

I know how you feel

Comment by Lulu K. (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 10:18

There once was a nest of little baby bunnies that were tiny, fuzz, and adorable in my yard. They were just so cute <3
But my Mom said I couldn't keep one because it would be bad for the ecosystem and such...
anywho, I understand your feelings about the little foxes, they're very cute <3

foxes!

Comment by Kieran (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 11:30

Still have never seen a fox, even though I'm Australian ;( Keep up the good work guys, found your comic thanks to J.Jacques and the guest comic he did for you guys, now I'm addicted!

Awww

Comment by Razor (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 11:58

So cute. Best to leave them be, but at least you get to watch them! *is envious*

I'm sure if one got into the house, Gonta would fret himself into a furry puddle.

This is like what happened

Comment by Fish (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 12:02

This is like what happened to my uncle. But with foxes, instead of bears.

Daw lucky! I only get to see

Comment by Ary Capricat (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 12:27

Daw lucky!
I only get to see a few glimpses of foxes where I live.
Sometimes I'll see one far ahead of me on the road when I go for walks, but they usally run off before I can get a closer look.

Foxies!

Comment by Pupsqueak (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 13:41

*happy squeal* My grandparents used to have a fox family living in a ditch just outside of their yard and the mom would bring her kits up onto the driveway to play. So cute.

Aww adorable. The comic and

Comment by Michael M. (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 13:56

Aww adorable. The comic and the picture.

I think I may have asked this, but what size paper do you draw the comic on? Is it straight into your sketchbook?

Also? Your Linework? The cleanest.