GAAAAAAAAAH SO CUTE

GAAAAAAAAAH SO CUTE

Thu, 07/02/2009 - 01:16 by Ananth in response to foxes in the backyard

GAAAAAH

GUYS

GALS

LOOK

Yuko's Mom has been sending her photos of the foxes in the backyard for the past couple of weeks! There used to be two foxes, presumably a male and a female ... because now there are three kits! Well, they're adolescents now. They amble into the backyard during any time of day and just kind of roll around and play in the grass, by themselves and with each other. One of them took a nap! Yuko and I were working in the basement, but we kept wandering upstairs with the hope that we'd catch a glimpse ... lucky us, they were there all day! They hang around the remains of the old storm drain ... At one point the elder fox dragged the remains of a bird out of the woods so the young'ns could play. This also was cute, if slightly macabre.

Yuko won't let me keep one as a pet ): YUKO YOU ARE A HARSH MISTRESS D:

OKAY BACK TO OUTPOST FOXWATCH ALPHA

Oh, and Zoolology preorders end Friday at midnight! Get 'em in while you can!

Comments

8D

Comment by Aido Thu, 07/02/2009 - 14:19

I do all the comics straight into my sketchbook -- it's a 6.5x10, pretty teeny.

Awh, thank you!  I'm trying super hard to get the hang of the new brush.

More pictures. I think you

Comment by bookhling (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 14:12

More pictures. I think you need to take more pictures.

Jealous. Envious. I want that house.

Comment by Marty (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 14:57

Ah! I'm so jealous! Foxes are my favorite animal (as well as my mascot) and I've only caught glimpses of them in the wild, except for the one I met at Mt. Rainier (it walked within a foot of me). I've always wanted to see fox kits though! So cute! We had some foxes in our neighborhood for a while (I never got to see them), but then they were driven away by the fact that my high school tore up the only place where they could live.

It's easier to become the pet of a fox than having a fox as a pet. They're very destructive, carry a high risk of rabies, and like many other wild animals, have a tendency to become depressed when removed from their natural habitat. Foxes.org has a lot of great info on this stuff. However, I've heard of success stories with Fennec Foxes, but they're still quite a handful.

I watched a special on domestication in dogs and they talked about that fox project in Russia. I did some digging and I found a research article about it:
(If you hunt around the bionet site you'll find more info on that study.)
Another study:

You can tell I've done a lot of research on this.
I look forward to seeing more pictures! =D

Fennec foxes are legal to

Comment by Raile (not verified) Fri, 07/03/2009 - 02:03

Fennec foxes are legal to keep as pets in a handful of states and apparently they are at least moderately tame? I have a friend who will not shut UP about wanting one and hasn't for six years--I myself keep rats and do not want pet foxes anywhere near the inside of my house, but this same friend also wants sugar gliders, so they're just the generally obnoxious kind of person who will eventually try to keep a wolf as a pet and then get injured and then whine about how unfair it was for the next two decades.

Exotic Pets

Comment by Marty (not verified) Fri, 07/03/2009 - 23:05

I personally think that exotic pets are a mistake. If someone's willing to devote everything (time, money, etc) to an exotic pet, then fine, but they'd better do their homework first.

I also have a friend who talks about getting a fennec fox as a pet because they're her favorite animal, but it only comes up when we see the fennec foxes at the zoo.
As for fennec foxes being moderately tame... Not really. If they're from a family that's been with humans and have been socialized with humans, then they probably are a bit more tame than the ones who have been in the wild. However, they're still wild animals and it takes several generations of behavior focused breeding to ensure that the animal will be tame.

Sugar Gliders are legal in most states I believe and from what I've read wolves are generally illegal as pets. Unfortunately, some people, I call them idiots, still manage to get them. Even wolf-dog crossbreeds are illegal as pets in many states, but where it is legal people usually need a permit for them.
What people don't realize is that wolves and the hybrids are NOT dogs. They belong to the canine family, but they are nothing like domesticated dogs. There are different levels of hybrids, but in the end even the small content ones (50% wolf or less) are a handful.
If your friend ever seriously considers getting a wolf or wolf-dog, please try to convince them to get one of the breeds that looks like a wolf. Malamute, Husky, Belgian Shepherd, etc. Wolves are really powerful and dangerous animals and breeding them with a domesticated dog doesn't make the offspring any less wild.

Sorry, I tend to get carried away on this subject.

I adore wolves. They tie with foxes as my favorite animal. I'd love to have them as pets, but I know better. I got to go into an enclosure with three wolves and interact with them. As much as I was in heaven, it was intimidating and it made me realize that I'd much rather work with them than have them as pets.

As much as I love wolves and foxes, I'll stick with my poodles. =D

Wolfdog

Comment by Razor (not verified) Mon, 07/06/2009 - 01:08

Had a roomie who had a wolf-malamute hybrid. That dog was HUGE. Sweet sweet dog, but he would scare the pants off the pizza guy. XD

Cute foxes

Comment by Kat (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 15:39

Comic is adorable, as always :)

Foxes are beautiful, just remember to never feed them. Wild animals rarely ever make good pets ^^

Aren't foxes/kitsune

Comment by Reynard (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 17:42

Aren't foxes/kitsune considered a good-luck symbol in Japan?

I saw a fox a couple of Winters ago during one of my night walks. I was happy for days afterward. (Unfortunately I didn't have a camera or I would have taken a pic.)

Those are cute, but be

Comment by maritza (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 20:07

Those are cute, but be careful. Foxes tend to get rabies very easily and not even normal vaccination works with them.

It could be...

Comment by Mr. C (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 21:41

You never know... that old gray fox could be serious... like serious fox.

I wish I knew why

Comment by Tom (not verified) Thu, 07/02/2009 - 23:42

I love this particular strip. I wish I knew why, I can't explain it in words. All I know is that it is familiar, and strikes a resonance with me. Great job.

Thomas
"If you download wikipedia onto your Iphone can I paint DON'T PANIC on the back of it?"

Personally, I've always

Comment by Hallard (not verified) Fri, 07/03/2009 - 02:56

Personally, I've always wanted to have a lion or a tiger as a pet. it probably has to do with The Lion King being my favorite Disney movie...

Tricksters!

Comment by Heath (not verified) Fri, 07/03/2009 - 04:49

One of the folktales I heard in Japan is that foxes will sometimes take on human form and go around tricking people. So if you've had a bit too much to drink and are walking home some night, watch out for the tail! XD

Also, I saw a really adorable tear jerker when I was in Japan called Kogitsune Heren (Baby fox Hellen). Some kid finds a baby fox and they realize thats its blind and deaf (As in Hellen Keller) so the kid decides to raise it. And so on, we all know how that type of movie goes.

Those foxes are a photographer's dream...

Comment by Sally (not verified) Fri, 07/03/2009 - 11:00

*sigh* they are adorable! Please post the photos once you are able to. I'm a wannabe photographer and I've never gotten Fox shots before (although I've gotten plenty of Deer shots). Yuko and Ananth, you're very lucky to have such an opportunity.

Fox babies

Comment by Nare (not verified) Fri, 07/03/2009 - 11:26

At least Yuko's mom didn't send the little foxes pictures with mails saying things like "The foxes had babies. They are really cute. I'm sure their grandmother is proud of her cute grandkids."

And below the pictures "I would like to know that grandmother feeling".

OMG so cute!!

Comment by Chishio-chan (not verified) Fri, 07/03/2009 - 15:26

Awwwwwwwwwwww... i want one!

that really is something

Comment by John K (not verified) Sat, 07/04/2009 - 00:27

that really is something amazing to see.

Fallen

Comment by Abeo (not verified) Sat, 07/04/2009 - 03:52

This has nothing to do with the comic, but what ever happened to Fallen? Updates seem to have just stopped without any warning. I didn't even realise that this was done by the same person until I went back to Fallen for one last time before condemning it to my "indefinite hiatus" favourites folder.

Why yes

Comment by Joe (not verified) Sun, 07/05/2009 - 23:27

Foxes are indeed quite awesome. S'why I'm rather pround to have them as my last name! (It's seriously Fox. I have like the shortest name ever.)

Being able to see stuff like that in your backyard is definatly one of the high points of living in a more rural area as opposed to the suburbs. I'm not a big outdoors person, but getting to see a flock of about 30 turkeys just chilling in your back yard is pretty awesome. Plus there's all sorts of turtles and snakes and such around here - I saw a black rat snake the other day sunning himself quite happily on the driveway, he must have been about 5 feet long. The only ones that get old quickly are deer - so many of them. But I also bear a grudge against them because I've had 2 actually run into my car (I mean that - they smacked right into the side of it themselves, instead of me running into them!)

I had a pet deer for 2 years

Comment by KM (not verified) Mon, 07/06/2009 - 21:14

I had a pet deer for 2 years (Long story behind that one.), and well, deer are really stupid. They kind of act like dogs though, but ones that just won't take a hint that they're not supposed to do that. You can kind of train them though, slightly. Like to come when you call their name. Yeah...

White Winter Hymnal

Comment by Someursault (not verified) Mon, 07/06/2009 - 20:16

Those foxes look a bit, dare I say, fleet.

* Rimshot *

Comment by conrad Tue, 07/07/2009 - 08:39

* Rimshot *

pest

Comment by dele (not verified) Thu, 07/09/2009 - 23:32

They are a pest here in Australia.

they used to do bounties for them. used to be $10 a tail. last time they did it it was ears... cos you can get the tail without killing the fox...

Oh, Oh, Oh, ohhhhhhhh

Comment by Steffox (not verified) Sat, 07/11/2009 - 13:20

TOO CUTE! T_T I want a fox so bad. (I know I can't) I WOULD DIE to be able to sit around and watch them play all day. Just. Die. Luckypants!

Look! Inari has come to

Comment by Kuragari (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 19:04

Look! Inari has come to visit!

Ema Request?

Comment by M (not verified) Fri, 01/14/2011 - 21:57

Go ask to see what it wants you could get a discount on healing in dungeons.

I know that you can have a

Comment by Chelsea L. (not verified) Mon, 01/31/2011 - 15:57

I know that you can have a fox as a pet in Illinois, mainly because my boyfriend says that he's getting one once he gets done with college. All you have to do is get a permit and such... I'm not sure where you live but can check the state site and look it up.

cuteness