Subway Strut

Subway Strut

Tue, 07/07/2009 - 14:05 by Ananth in response to silly hats only

Comic is a little late, sorry! It's still kind of crazy around.

Yuko and I spent a couple of days in the city! Managed to see the fireworks (spectacular) and spent an inordinate amount of time on the subway. I'm okay with that ... many things of interest there! Here are some of the more memorable people we saw ... Yuko has provided surprisingly accurate representations of all of them.

To be fair, Monster's Inc. is a pretty fun movie. The guy was just so thugged out, but  Pixar, you're so good at touching each of us.

The kid in the second panel ... all I can say is I hope he writes movies one day. I managed to overhear most of the story and I almost made us stay on for an extra stop so I could hear how one of the scenes ended!! Suffice it to say that a healthy dose of revenge was involved. Revenge is italicized because he told his Mom to write it that way. It's very important, you see.

I think the punks making balloon animals were in the 4th of July spirit, which is a little like Christmas spirit I suppose, only more patriotic. Actually, it was pretty sweet of 'em ... their stop was coming up and rather than bail without giving the second little girl her balloon animal, they frantically twisted and knotted, finishing in just enough time to hand the balloon animal off and squeeze through the closing doors.

Preorders ended! We're in the process of ordering shirts now - thanks for your patience. There are still prints!

Also, I hope you are as excited about the transformative properties of Conrad's avatar as I am. Mohawk and chops is a good look for him. Not 100% on those pants.

Comments

The Aviators are a good

Comment by Kyon (not verified) Tue, 07/07/2009 - 14:29

The Aviators are a good touch as well, too bad they don't have any Kanye shades.

What city?

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 07/07/2009 - 14:39

What city?

New York!

Comment by Ananth Tue, 07/07/2009 - 17:51

New York!

*THE* city

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 07/08/2009 - 12:06

*THE* city

Yeah, I figured it was NYC.

Comment by Lizzer (not verified) Wed, 07/08/2009 - 13:46

Yeah, I figured it was NYC. You don't see that in DC, haha.

Con's Avatar

Comment by Virtual Bob (not verified) Tue, 07/07/2009 - 14:57

Leopard skin pants. Get a little whitesnake thing going.

OMG so much cute!! XD I love

Comment by Chelsea (not verified) Tue, 07/07/2009 - 15:13

OMG so much cute!! XD I love riding the subway.

I'm Hoping My Son is that Creative When He Grows Up

Comment by McClaud (not verified) Tue, 07/07/2009 - 15:20

I love Lego, and I love writing. A kid making up his own stories about Revenge of the Lego sounds like fun.

Conrad's mutton chops are alluring. ALLLLLURRRRRRING.

the shirt!

Comment by Jordan (not verified) Tue, 07/07/2009 - 16:35

Unless I'm mistaken (and I very well could be) the shirt that Ananth is wearing in that first panel is one of the Mutagenics shirts, right? The one with the lightening? I have the chick version and think it's rockin'.

Oh man, too cool! (Actually

Comment by Ananth Tue, 07/07/2009 - 17:52

Oh man, too cool! (Actually shhh we might be bringing it back).

I checked out your art! I like.

Cool!

Comment by Razor (not verified) Tue, 07/07/2009 - 16:47

That's one of the things I like about big cities--public transportation. Usually inexpensive, mostly convenient, and a great place to observe other humans being humans (sometimes good, sometimes bad). Out here where I live it's like THE THING to have a car so I don't use public transport as much as I'd like. The city fathers haven't gotten it through their heads that PT is worthwhile for everyone, not just those who can't afford a car.

Re: Pants--I dunno, they're not that bad. While the color is an unfortunate shade of moldy green, they show off his rather nice legs. He must have a heck of a time with panty lines though (unless he goes commando!). XD

also

Comment by ladyiconoclast (not verified) Tue, 07/07/2009 - 17:10

the title of the strip "silly hats only" is a reference to Don Hertzfeldt's Rejected, if I'm not mistaken. Kudos on the balloon hat reference to the same in the center of the third panel. :)

Oh man, I totally didn't

Comment by Ananth Tue, 07/07/2009 - 17:53

Oh man, I totally didn't catch that (Yuko named this one) ... now I feel pretty lame

Yeah,

Comment by stevehill (not verified) Wed, 07/08/2009 - 00:10

I'm sure she knew. I remember Conrad being all about said films. :P

Panel 2

Comment by CanMan (not verified) Tue, 07/07/2009 - 17:17

Kinda makes you want to have one of your own?

BABIES BABIES BABIES.

Hahahaha oh god.

Comment by Ananth Tue, 07/07/2009 - 17:54

Hahahaha oh god.

How old was that kid?

Comment by Matt (not verified) Tue, 07/07/2009 - 17:18

I would be seriously impressed if that kid knew the word "italicized" if he's at an age young enough where he's still dictating to his mom.

Also: revenge SHOULD be italicized everywhere, by God. Even if it's things like posters for Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

I don't think he said

Comment by Ananth Tue, 07/07/2009 - 17:55

I don't think he said italicized per se ... but he said he wanted them slanty like in his books.

0 to 200 wpm in 60s

Comment by Dorje (not verified) Tue, 07/07/2009 - 18:00

I'm not surprised that he would know the word and concept. If he's spent any length of time using a word processor at home or school he would have come across it. Trust me, I work with K-5 age kids and technology, they can learn stuff like that fast.

I also think it makes sense that he was dictating. He many not be able to write fast enough, or have the written vocabulary to keep up with of his thoughts. Especially on full revenge spewing mode. I used to have a bigger spoken vocabulary then I could actually spell as lad.

Nice depiction of the kid. They are so cu... cool when they get intensely focused in creation. It reminds me why I'm going back for another year at my job.

p.s. Yay for public transit. My best public transit story was bumping to the father of an old elementary school friend, and chatting with him until his stop. You just don't re-meet people like that while driving in your own little box.

I'm with you on Pixar

Comment by Chris D. (not verified) Tue, 07/07/2009 - 18:00

The only movie of theirs I can say isn't on par with all of their others is A Bug's Life, and it's still better than most animated features released in the last 15 years, imo.

I doubt I could have stopped myself from telling the tough guy "Cool movie" :-)

aww

Comment by Jason (not verified) Tue, 07/07/2009 - 18:28

the punks-making-balloon-animals sighting is cute indeed!

(that's because i'm a punk sometimes!)

the public transit system here is horrid, so i can't seem to remember any cute moments from the handful of times i perused it because all my public train-riding experiences are starkly punctuated with intense fear of being squished and literally trying to get one step ahead of a massive wave of grumpy people after you disembark.

The perfidiy of images

Comment by Andrew (not verified) Tue, 07/07/2009 - 20:12

I moved to Portland this summer, and I am constantly amazed by the people here. My first week in town, I went to the neighborhood dive-bar with my roommate as his friends. The bartender was this big, tough, biker-looking guy. About an hour into our visit, he walks over to our table, and says, "HEY YOU GUYS! I made cupcakes. Do you want some?"

They were funfetti.

In the past two months, while riding the bus/train around the city, I've seen a wizard studying an old book of astrology, a cartoon-villain Nazi couple, and a gypsy who'd run AWAY from the circus at 10 years old. This city is great!

That's awesome

Comment by Robert V Aldrich (not verified) Tue, 07/07/2009 - 20:38

This renewed my faith in humanity.

Is that possible for you?

Comment by McClaud (not verified) Wed, 07/08/2009 - 07:38

j/k

Same here. Knowing that there are young adults doing fun things for kids on a subway like balloon hats makes me actually believe things could get better.

Of Course New York!

Comment by Raul Padilla (not verified) Tue, 07/07/2009 - 21:32

Haha, I remember a long time ago when I was 15, I was helping a friends band carry their equipment on train to Queens when a bum walks in. He starts singing and it's actually pretty damn good. One of my friends carrying the snare drum started hitting it in beat to the song, another guy whipped out an acoustic guitar, we all had a jam session in a train. It was wicked cause when we got to our stop, everyone applauded us. Haha, man, good times.

Travelling Band

Comment by h.flynn (not verified) Thu, 07/23/2009 - 09:50

Man that's so cool, I read your comment like 6 times :)

Gorillaz Inc.?

Comment by Eric (not verified) Tue, 07/07/2009 - 23:38

The thug in the first panel looks/reminded-me-of Russell Hobbs; the fictional drummer from Gorillaz.

Huh, you're right. I was

Comment by Hallard (not verified) Wed, 07/08/2009 - 00:26

Huh, you're right. I was trying to figure out who he looked like, and Russel is definitely it.

some new york firsts

Comment by stevehill (not verified) Wed, 07/08/2009 - 00:13

My subway experiences last weekend included:

a) A group of scruffy old guys singing Beach Boys tunes for change.

b) Public urination.

YEY NEW YORK

Comment by Aido Wed, 07/08/2009 - 00:58

Not as cute, but EQUALLY EXCITING 8D

The balloon animal guys are

Comment by ~ (not verified) Wed, 07/08/2009 - 05:58

The balloon animal guys are one of those times when even the harshest cynic finds their faith in humanity restored, even if only a little. Seriously, it's such a minor thing, but it's cool to know that it was done.

I now don't feel so bad for

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 07/08/2009 - 19:46

I now don't feel so bad for crying at Monsters, Inc..

...

YES I DID. IT WAS A GOOD MOVIE. :'>

I still do that

Comment by Conrad Lukawski (not verified) Thu, 07/09/2009 - 12:45

I still play with lego and make stories.. I hope I am not too old :P

Never too old

Comment by Musical_Chair (not verified) Sat, 07/11/2009 - 15:39

You're never too old to play with legos, I think the same rules apply to legoland as neverland.

Lego and happiness

Comment by yu huo (not verified) Tue, 07/14/2009 - 07:41

Musical_Chair is right about the Lego. A good friend of mine had his 21st birthday party at his house with an enormous bucket of Lego, techics too. We had a blast.

Your comics have this ever so welcome quality of cheering me up. Thanks, you guys!

Makes me wish I saw more cute things on the subway...

Comment by Puck (not verified) Sat, 02/20/2010 - 21:10

These days when I'm on the subway I ALWAYS think of this comic, but instead of seeing cute things I see really weird things.

The closest I've come to seeing cute things on the subway wasn't really cute things at all, but mildly flattering --- I was sitting down watching something on my iPod when I noticed that a youngish-looking guy kept glancing at me with a (admittedly mildly creepy / sadistically delighted) smile on his face - and then would scribble something in the notebook he held. I kept glancing up at him as secretively as I could, wondering what was going on - and then, when he got off the subway, I glanced at his notebook and saw he was drawing a picture of me!

It was painfully realistic (*low self esteem*) but I was sorta geeking out at how cool it was that for about five minutes at least, I was a Muse. ;3

i LOVE loveable punks! XD

Comment by Ghostcharmer (not verified) Tue, 03/02/2010 - 14:13

i LOVE loveable punks! XD

Awww! Nice to know that just

Comment by Elkian (not verified) Mon, 06/28/2010 - 20:35

Awww! Nice to know that just because people look scary doesn't mean they are.

Everybody loves Monsters