SDCC 2009!

SDCC 2009!

Thu, 07/30/2009 - 00:33 by Ananth in response to enjoy your four hour flight

If any one of them starts crying, they all start crying ... it was all wailing and gnashing of teeth on that plane. Some of it might've been mine, to be honest ... one of the babies had a cry of the exact frequency needed to drill a hole into my skull. Mutant?

We'll be at Connecticon! Conrad will be posting the relevant info in the sidebar tonight or tomorrow, but click through on the link and check it out. Hopefully we'll see you there! We will have some JW merch to sell!

SDCC was a lot of fun! The crew consisted of Hawk, Jess, Yuko and myself. We got to see a lot of familiar faces, meet some of our idols, gawk at celebrities and blow our money on comics and t-shirts. Also picked up some gifts for one George Rohac, and just tried to take it all in. One of the highlights was seeing Jeff Smith's talk on how to draw and ink a page - we got to watch him do it live. He is a master of the brush! Dark Horse treated Hawk and I (and Yuko and Jess) very well, and the Oni guys were also mega nice to us. We got to meet a lot of creators and I got the opportunity to receive some advice from a great number of them. I read (and enjoyed!) an advance copy of Hope Larson's upcoming book Mercury (January release), and I recommend it - I wish it didn't have to end!

I really wish I could do a complete list of people we met, but as I said to Yuko, I think it would kill me ... ! Sorry guys. D: I'm sure you'll see links to many of them trickle in over coming weeks.

Comments

Ever been on a sixteen hour

Comment by Eleutheria (not verified) Thu, 07/30/2009 - 00:50

Ever been on a sixteen hour flight (Chicago-Asia)? Forget no-fly lists; you start thinking of wood chippers.

XD

Comment by Lizzer (not verified) Thu, 07/30/2009 - 00:53

This reminds me when I was taking the flight home from London last year.

I was waiting at the terminal and I notice that the majority of the people waiting are young children. Then they called for the Chicago flight.

I had a direct flight to DC.
I had the best silent flight ever, though I felt sorry for the peeps going to Chicago...only not really.

You don't have isolator

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 07/30/2009 - 00:54

You don't have isolator headphones? Shame on you.

Suddenly babies! Thousands of them!

Comment by Yakui (not verified) Thu, 07/30/2009 - 01:05

Last summer my brother and I flew down to Costa Rica for a two week vacation. On the flight back there was a single baby on the flight. He was silent the entire time, and once we landed all of the passengers commented to the mother about how well-behaved her child was.

Been there.

Comment by Alexa (not verified) Thu, 07/30/2009 - 01:14

I am so sorry.

Well next time I go on a

Comment by Nicholas (not verified) Thu, 07/30/2009 - 01:37

Well next time I go on a plane I'll remember to bring ear plugs. Or, even better, I have some ear muffs that I can wear and still be able to listen to headphones.

Wailing...

Comment by Cowdog (not verified) Thu, 07/30/2009 - 02:44

I swear, I can sit on a loaded bus and read a book while 20 people hold conversations at all different decibel levels and pitch, but the moment a baby starts with the waterworks....out the window goes my concentration.

I don't know whether it's the tone of the crying, or that it just keeps on going without stop.

I have to give mad props to parents for handling that particular sound at all hours of the day for years on end. I don't know how they do it.

Depending on what they want,

Comment by Miyu (not verified) Thu, 07/30/2009 - 09:19

Depending on what they want, a baby's wailing will sound a bit different. You can differenciate a real sleep/food/poop cry from a simple whining cry if you listen carefully. But the tone they use is primarly a "IWANTSOMETHINGFIXITNOW" type that most babies in the animal kingdom use to get their parents attention. It's as annoying as a cat's constant MROOOWW of hunger and/or boredom. So yeah, at this stage of their lives it's all about their needs and fixes. D:

Some parents will let their child cry, some others will try to calm them down. Both are correct solutions but it depends on WHERE you are I guess. If a child behaves, it's mostly because their parents either fed them earlier, gave them a nap, clean them or all of the above.

Ah babies.

Ditto

Comment by madclarinet (not verified) Thu, 07/30/2009 - 03:05

Yeah, I had that problem too last year. London Heathrow to San Francisco... best part of 12 hours where I'm fairly sure there was no time when at least one baby/small child wasn't crying.

That was not a pleasant flight. I completely understand and agree with the no-fly list addition ;-)

I also try to get a seat at the back of the aircraft as its usually the furthest away from the babies (the 'cots' are on the bulkheads). Doesn't get rid of the noise - but it sure cuts it down.

Adventure.

Comment by mylemonblue (not verified) Thu, 07/30/2009 - 04:40

Sounds like you guys had an awesome adventure! ^-^

silent flight, holy flight

Comment by Dave Aronson (not verified) Thu, 07/30/2009 - 05:48

Try earplugs PLUS noise-cancelling headphones, preferably fully enclosing. Even without crying babies or "outdoor voiced" toddlers, it makes for a calmer flight. Just make sure you don't miss it when the attendant comes around to refill your champagne. ;-)

I feel your pain

Comment by Drezz (not verified) Thu, 07/30/2009 - 07:29

I went on a European vacation with my wife this month, and our flight from Toronto to London was awful. There was a lady with a toddler who didn't bother to soothe her child in any form, and the entire 6.5 hour flight was filled with wailing. The only time the child was silent was when she was stuffing her face with crappy airline food.

I feel bad for the parents since a number of people approached them and told them to "do something about it." What can you do? Other than stick them in a pet carrier and put them in with the luggage.

Oh yeah - I forgot to mention, they sat directly behind us. Needless to say our first day in London consisted of sleeping.

The Wailers and the Cons

Comment by A.L. (not verified) Thu, 07/30/2009 - 07:48

It's true,one baby cries they all cry,just how one dog starts barking they all start barking.It's annoying because they're doing to be doing it,but I guess that's what babies do.

Comic-Con sounded fun,at least that's how everyone managed to go has made it sound.I'm going to save up a grand or so so I can work on going to a con myself next year.

oof

Comment by eagle (not verified) Thu, 07/30/2009 - 07:54

I have to say the flights I've been on weren't so bad in terms of deathbabies. Instead it's usually the person next to me who gets on my nerves...I remember the first time I flew to Romania, I think it was Pittsburgh, Philly, Amsterdam, Bucharest. On the Philly-Amsterdam flight there was a guy who smelled like old cigarettes, weighed about 350lbs, and slept with his head plastered to the seat IN FRONT OF HIM...it was odd to say the least.

The other time was coming back, perhaps Newark to Pittsburgh. The lady next to me asked what I was majoring in, and I said Anthropology, and of course she heard ARCHAEOLOGYOMGTHEALIENSBUILTTHEPYRAMIDS. So for a good hour and fifteen minutes she told me about the government plots to hide the fact that aliens helped people build all the ancient wonders. Also, she said that she could see things and she saw into my future and that lots of money was going to come my way. I think i would have preferred the babies over the pyramid lady...When I read about Ananth's run in with the lady at the post office i was reminded of my horrible experience D;

Now I feel bad...

Comment by pixiekhatt (not verified) Thu, 07/30/2009 - 08:09

It sucks when you have to fly with a baby. I'm over in Germany and I flew back to Pennsylvania for a visit to my folks. I was SOOOO paranoid that my little one was going to scream her head off for the entire flight. She didn't. Not to say she didn't get fussy from time to time, but there was no OMGMYEARSAREBLEEEEDING wails... Of course, it helps to bring toys and food and such things for distraction too.

Still, every time she got a little fussy, I felt incredibly guilty. :(

Yeah, been there. It

Comment by Mojoe (not verified) Thu, 07/30/2009 - 09:45

Yeah, been there. It changes when (or if) you get one of your own. Also, what really helps are earplugs. I agree with 'oof' though on people people being just as annoying. People are worse. Babies can't really help it because that's how they let people know they are dissatisfied because of the lack of verbal skills.

There's know excuse for people.

Nor do I feel it necessary to feel bad about one's kid crying. Parent have to fly too, It's not like you can ship your babies FedX...

... well, unless you OUTSOURCE your baby care:

"I'm Putting Babies on the No-Fly List"

Comment by Michael M. (not verified) Thu, 07/30/2009 - 09:57

That's what I say every time I buy birth control.

Also, I'm so so jealous you

Comment by Michael M. (not verified) Fri, 07/31/2009 - 12:30

Also, I'm so so jealous you got to check out "Mercury!" I loved Chiggers and Mercury will probably have my money.

babies...Babies...BABIES...B A B I E S ! ! !

Comment by Virtual Bob (not verified) Thu, 07/30/2009 - 11:12

Too bad this wasn't captured video...it would be a good counterstrike next time Yuko's mom brings up the ticking biological clock issue again.

Go watch the Fox family for a while...

Oh, babies

Comment by DameGreyWulf (not verified) Thu, 07/30/2009 - 16:56

Ahh, I know your pain. I had a three hour nonstop flight sitting next to a guy and his baby, sitting in front of his wife and his two toddlers. Mmm, seat-kicking fun.
But, thankfully, I did have my music to deter their noises.

Babies should ride trains....

Comment by Nibbles (not verified) Thu, 07/30/2009 - 17:03

This suggestion won't work for going overseas, but parents with small children should take trains at every possible opportunity. Seriously, it may take longer, but they can get up and wander a little bit, you have leg room, you usually have a compartment, snacks aren't usually an issue, and the gentle rocking motion generally is really pleasant to sleep to.

Hehe.

Comment by Seymore (not verified) Thu, 07/30/2009 - 17:35

The "mutant?" part made my day.

Ugh

Comment by Xib (not verified) Thu, 07/30/2009 - 19:59

The last time I went to visit my mum in Okinawa, the flight got extended or whatever cause of winds or some random thing and it ended up being a 15 hour flight, and there was a baby sitting right behind me. I swear that damn baby cried 14 1/2 hours out of the entire flight, and it had that horrible grating voice that just had me bleeding out of my ears by the time we landed. There should be a special 'baby space' in planes, back where the cargo is where they can't hurt anyone D:

No earphones?

Comment by Abe (not verified) Thu, 07/30/2009 - 23:52

No earphones or anything to listen to a movie/drown out the wailing?

For babies, bring

Comment by Unistrut (not verified) Fri, 07/31/2009 - 00:35

For babies, bring earplugs.
For other passengers, headphones and a book.
or - pretending to sleep.

Just remember to take the plugs out for landing or takeoff, the pressure difference can be uncomfortable. I used to work a job that required flying every weekend for seven months out of the year. I really got tired of talking to random berks while flying. So as soon as the plane reached altitude I'd put in my Shure E2 combination earplug/headphones and read a book.

Comment by Dorje (not verified) Sun, 08/02/2009 - 03:47

"For other passengers, headphones and a book."

Headphones are very key to avoiding unwanted person to person interactions on crowded flights or buses, especially white ear buds. My favorite tactic is just to have a loose pair handy in my pocket. Even if its not attached to anything, as long as people see the buds and the wires going 'someplace' they make an assumption (an incorrect one) and tend to leave you alone... with the one or two rare exceptions.

Babies on planes

Comment by Rook (not verified) Fri, 07/31/2009 - 02:28

I can agree completely on what people are saying, having been forced to sit next to crying babies on several flights. Especially when the parent insists on the kid having the only available seat on a full flight and then elbows you the whole flight, because they have to hold the kid. Not my fault and not my problem. However I can't blame the kids neither. They can't help it that the only way they can communicate is by crying, screaming and yelling. Even more so on take-offs and landings as the cabin-pressure changes and they feel like their heads are in a vice with needles being jabbed in their ears.

I have to say that Unistrut got the right idea on what to bring. I got myself a pair of those noise-canceling headphones. They may be a bit bulky at times, but the last two flights I've been on had screaming kids and a mom tazering a flight attendant and wasn't bothered the least bit.

Comicon

Comment by Dax (not verified) Fri, 07/31/2009 - 13:30

I can't believe I missed you guys

I would have had you sign my awesome comicon hat

Shown here in the hotel:

shown here being signed by Doug Benson:

I wish I could go...

Comment by djSARS (not verified) Fri, 07/31/2009 - 19:13

haha, I know what you mean. last week, I went through a series of flights from Massachusetts to Japan (with a stop to Norfolk, VA in between) and those kids were...well...kids. One kid wasn't crying, he was screaming in short bursts during the descent phase. Whatever, I'm far away from any kids for a few more weeks.

TSA worst then babies!!!

Comment by Dcloud (not verified) Sat, 08/01/2009 - 03:48

The only thing worst then babies crying is dealing with TSA. If you have even been on the government watch list? If you have then you no what I mean. For everyone that has not had that joy let me sum it up for you. I was going to fly from RI to Florida but missed my flight because I couldn't get my boarding pass do to the fact that because my name is the same as some terrorist I couldn't get a boarding pass before the day of my flight and only can you get it when you get to the airport. Then they put my through extra security and the 'random check' I was on this list for a year and had to do hours of paper work prove I was a US citizen and pay close to 100 dollars to get all my papers sent out and made official. Best part is 2 years later guess who back on that list. So at this point I think I'd much rather deal with a crying baby or two ... or five then have to put up with TSA and their crap again.

Err.

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sun, 08/02/2009 - 19:26

What exactly did you keep doing to be put on no-fly? Mmm? Unless it's something stupid (for example the trouble Geogre R.R. Martin has...) don't complain about the consequences of your actions.

If you read the comment

Comment by Deet (not verified) Tue, 08/04/2009 - 05:17

If you read the comment carefully, he mentions it's cos a terrorist happened to have the same name as him.

Yes, way to be a jackass, as

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 08/07/2009 - 18:01

Yes, way to be a jackass, as the poster above me said. The only reason he can't fly is due to his name being the same as a "terrorist"s. It pisses me off that normal people are inconvenienced by far over-zealous procedures and phobias.

Babies on planes...

Comment by Jess (not verified) Sun, 08/02/2009 - 18:33

They're worse than snakes on planes XD

Nothing

Comment by Dcloud (not verified) Mon, 08/03/2009 - 00:31

It is not what I do.... Someone that has my same name is doing shit and for someone reason the government thinks that it is anyone with that name... My brother is on it for the same reason and my dad is on too because of his birth date how lame is that

Dodging the TSA

Comment by Unistrut (not verified) Mon, 08/03/2009 - 01:47

Speaking of... first off, Dcloud, try making your reservation under a short form of your name, your middle name, or your initials. Sadly that's often all it takes to fool the mighty TSA No Fly List.

Also, speaking as a veteran traveler... if you have something you like, either carry it with you or leave it at home. Do not put anything nice in your checked bag. After seven months of weekly flying three quarters of our crew had things stolen from their bags.

Oh the horror

Comment by kittymaverick (not verified) Mon, 08/03/2009 - 02:49

Reminds me of the horrible ride from Asia to europe (12-13 hours)...Except it was two kids that sounded like a whole kindergarten.

And the worse part is the parents don't even try to shut them up...At one point a guy shouted to the flight attendants to give the kids a bottle of sleeping pills each (to which almost everybody seemed to agree by that point).

To be honest, earplugs don't really work well......heavy earphones might...
Babies to the no flight list seems the best solution....

I'm Sorry, But I'm Going to be One of Those Parents

Comment by McClaud (not verified) Mon, 08/03/2009 - 16:04

It's not like I have a choice. We live in Nebraska and her parents live in Florida. I have the kind of job that only gives me 5 days off in a row to travel long distance, so we have to fly. I'll try to keep Liam Hugo quiet, though, I promise.

BTW, XBL offers Konye shades for avatars. Time to pimp up Conrad/Conye!

YOU THINK THAT'S BAD I once

Comment by yugosaki (not verified) Mon, 08/03/2009 - 20:35

YOU THINK THAT'S BAD

I once had a TWENTY-NINE hour train ride through desolate mountains, with a few screaming babies, and two toddlers who ran up and down the isle screaming and knocking over peoples stuff, while the parent did nothing but hand out candy and food on demand.

Whoa!!!! I used to follow

Comment by NSFW (not verified) Tue, 08/04/2009 - 03:10

Whoa!!!! I used to follow your fallen comic religiously throughout college up until 2006. I hadn't seen your stuff until now, 3 years later, at 1 a.m. local time when a flash of your comic went into my head, and with the wonders of internet I found your new stuff. I'm so glad to see you're still the great artist I remember, Thanks!!

You know that horrible

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 08/04/2009 - 06:22

You know that horrible uncomfortable feeling you get from the pressure difference when flying? Well babies get that too, but they don't know to ease the pressure and it probably hurts like hell. Doesn't make it any less irritating of course, but I always feel sorry for babies on planes. So yeah, earplugs. Earplugs have saved my sanity so many times.

Speaking of babies...

Comment by eagle (not verified) Tue, 08/04/2009 - 08:10

Shock and Dismay

Comment by Mal Mal (not verified) Tue, 08/04/2009 - 10:09

Listen...I have a hard day at work ahead of me and need something new. I'm hurt by this turn of events that there is no new comic. ;_; I blame you for my failure.

This is why...

Comment by MissKacey (not verified) Thu, 08/06/2009 - 04:41

I never EVER travel without earplugs anymore. Crying babies blocked out! Don't have to talk to someone you don't know on a bus/train/plane. And best of all snoring hotel roommates shall no longer interrupt your sleep!

Try being one of those parents...

Comment by Am I really the only parent here? (not verified) Fri, 08/07/2009 - 13:02

Don't think twice, any form of transportation + crying baby(ies) = no good. A simple 15 minute rail ride from home to work with crying baby about is unbearable. But do you honestly think (most) parents are unaware? No one likes being the parent of a crying child. Especially as you're running through the gambit of things that could be causing said tears. There's not a whole lot you can do as an observer (how creepy would that be, random stranger asking to help with your children), but being passive agressive and acting like you're the only ones being tortured by those crys of anguish, meh.

Most parents I see don't

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 08/07/2009 - 18:11

Most parents I see don't give a shit about their screaming children, because they are, as far as I can see, lazy and bad at their job. If I am angry, it is because they are making absolutely no move to rectify the situation. Apparently they've heard the screaming so much at home that they just don't even react in public either, or something. It's extremely aggravating to just watch a parent gaze dully at their screaming kid and go back to whatever they were doing.

....if I could slap their kids for them, I would.
On the other hand, if the parent is actively trying to do anything about controlling their children, I'm fine with that. They're trying their best. I can't stand it when parents let their kids do whatever they want though.

Question...

Comment by Zapuruxo (not verified) Wed, 08/26/2009 - 10:39

This may be somewhat out of left field, but are you of the Johnny Wander crew planning to attend New York ComicCon next year? My friends and I think your comic is super-spiffy and we would love it if you guys were there!

I hate to say it, but I'm

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Mon, 07/05/2010 - 18:52

I hate to say it, but I'm rather glad to know that I'm not the only one who always, no matter what, has a crying infant within 10 yards.

FXQdvdsyaEyUC

Comment by Kairii (not verified) Thu, 05/05/2011 - 10:10

Thanks alot - your answer solved all my problems after several days stgruiglng