AHHHHHHHH

AHHHHHHHH

Tue, 08/11/2009 - 11:19 by Ananth in response to parental supervision required

As we've seen before, Yuko occasionally gets mistaken for being younger than she is ... I was actually in the next room over packing up t-shirts when I heard this exchange, but this time it was an older guy and so we thought it worth chronicling! I think this is probably part of a series on Yuko being mistaken for things she's not, such as a boy. Yuko draws herself more boyish than she really is ... it baffles me that people make that mistake in our day-to-day lives.

A couple of things! First, Yuko did a pinup for Eros Inc. that looks mighty fine! It was in exchange for the guest comic he did for us a little while ago! One thing that delights me about the pin-up is the feet - you can tell what each character is like just by looking at the body language of their feet. Try it!

Finally, we announced it last week, but - there are ZooLOLogy and limited edition Phoenix Down tees on charcoal grey now stocked and available in the store! I should note that both shirts come in both mens and womens sizes! We used a new process called discharge printing for the new Phoenix Down shirts ... the design was originally screen-printed on, but it was unfortunately heavy on the shirt, and it crinkled up a bit, especially on ladies since they have more curves than guys. This new process essentially prints the design into the fabric of the shirt. It arrives pretty soft - but if you put it through one cycle of washer and dryer, the design gets EVEN softer, to the point that it's barely imperceptible from the texture of the shirt itself. We've been tweaking the Phoenix Down design to make it more wearable, and I think we found our solution in discharge printing. Both tees are pictured below - click through to hit the store!

Hope you like 'em!

Comments

Yuko reminds me a lot of

Comment by Kiey (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 11:41

Yuko reminds me a lot of Toph in those last two panels.

Thy pain, I can feel it.

Comment by literatehyaena (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 11:41

I get that a fair bit, actually. I can't claim to know how tall Yuko is, but at four foot ten... and a half... I am regularly mistaken for someone much younger than I really am.

I was, in fact, once pulled over by a cop who didn't believe I was currently twenty-one--or old enough to be driving--and threatened to call my parents even after I'd shown ID.

I was pretty thrilled.

Yuko is a little over five

Comment by Ananth Tue, 08/11/2009 - 13:16

Yuko is a little over five foot! Height is a big factor, I'm sure.

Hahaha, that is great. Yuko tends to get carded a lot, but that's a more common problem for many people across the board, I think.

Tell her it could be worse.

Comment by Devia Luna (not verified) Wed, 08/12/2009 - 18:10

Tell her it could be worse. I'm full-grown at 4' 10" and people constantly accuse me of not being old enough to work, and pull this crap at the door too.

SALESMAN FAIL

Comment by Razor (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 11:49

I know door-to-door salespeople (and even phone salespeople) are just trying to make a buck like me but geeeezzz. You should put up a "no soliciting" sign. In neon.

I thought the sparkle was just the right touch though. *g*

Yuko actually did the guy a

Comment by Ananth Tue, 08/11/2009 - 13:18

Yuko actually did the guy a favor and made him look really clean-cut (it worked better in the context of this joke), but from what I recall the guy was actually pretty shabby. I think he was part of one of those programs that sells people magazines - the ones that always sound super shady.

Away you go!

Comment by Razor (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 18:29

Eeek. I made the mistake of signing up for one of those magazine thingies. Then they said I owed them money until 2035. I never thought I'd get rid of them. DON'T DO IT KIDS

We have some folks who walk around our office complex selling stuff, especially around Christmas. Always creeps me out. Maybe because they remind me of Fitz, the Slap Chop guy? XD

The weight of the Phoenix

Comment by Kyon (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 11:56

The weight of the Phoenix shirts was noticeable and the charcoal looks great, wish I had the money to get it but the supplies to frame those Prints were a lot more than I originally thought.

Panel 5

Comment by Matt (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 11:57

The salesman's angry expression kills me. How short is Yuko? I mean, even if she gets mistaken for a kid, she'd have to be mistaken for an older kid, as in the kind that salesmen would respect.

Yuko's a little over five

Comment by Ananth Tue, 08/11/2009 - 13:20

Yuko's a little over five foot ... As for the salesman, he was an odd fellow!

I get that myself, even

Comment by Ellie (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 12:24

I get that myself, even though I'm almost 30, married, and in my own home. And people still think I'm a jr high/high school student and ask if my parents are home T_T It's pretty embarassing. I usually just ask if they'd prefer to talk to my husband since my parents live several hours away! Their shock and attempts to backpedal are worth the embarrassment, usually.

HAHA that's gold. XD

Comment by Ananth Tue, 08/11/2009 - 13:21

HAHA that's gold. XD

Salesman avoidance tactics

Comment by Razor (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 18:33

Reba West, the English voice of Lynn Minmay in Robotech, permanently sounds like she's about eight years old. I attended a voice actor's panel once where she said that it comes in handy when salesmen call. "No, my mom and dad can't come to the phone!" XD

Lynn Minmay

Comment by panzer.time (not verified) Wed, 08/12/2009 - 06:38

Was she in anything other than Do You Remember Love?

We Will Win!

Comment by Razor (not verified) Wed, 08/12/2009 - 17:41

...at the risk of hijacking Ananth's blog (sorry!!), I only saw the English version of 'Robotech'--and Minmay (or 'Minmei') was only in 'Macross', the first 'episode' of the English version. I think she's in other parts of the saga but I'm not sure.

As for Ms. West, I don't think she voiced Minmei in any other Robotech series.

Ananth and Yuko were probably born around the time or after Robotech came out! *g* /feels old

I get it too when people

Comment by Katie (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 12:30

I get it too when people come knocking at my door if I'm not dressed in my work clothes.

Discharge printing is pain sometimes because of the toxicity of the chemicals you have to use. (Yay for ventilators!) But! You can get a really nice gradation from it though!

Yeah, I was talking to

Comment by Ananth Tue, 08/11/2009 - 13:36

Yeah, I was talking to someone about this and they mentioned how the area had to be very well ventilated! But the guys we go through are pros and seem to have all the facilities they need, thankfully.

Most the ventilation is

Comment by katie (not verified) Thu, 08/13/2009 - 17:43

Most the ventilation is needed really when you discharge the print with heat you get these awesome fumes. You kinda need it too when you are mixing the chemicals and applying it to the screen but not so much.

Hah.

Comment by Joe Fox (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 12:45

I have the opposite problem, normally when it comes to folks calling the phone - apparently I sound old enough to be my dad if the person doesn't know us. It doesn't help that we have the same first name, either.

Also, the dude's expression in panel 5 is great. "Man, why do I have to deal with stupid kids? Gawd."

Mistaken for a girl

Comment by Zehnoda (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 13:33

When I was in high school I decided I would be rebellious and grow my hair out long. I wasn't that great at growing a beard so I kept myself clean shaven. Still, even at that age I was pretty tall and broad shouldered. It took six months of "How can I help you ma'am" before I cut my hair, and kept it short. The moral of the story is: if you want Yuko to look older, have her grow a beard!

Hahahaha never!! Actually, I

Comment by Ananth Tue, 08/11/2009 - 13:39

Hahahaha never!! Actually, I have a friend who has the same problem - from the back he is very easily mistaken for a girl. That doesn't seem to have deterred him, though ... hmm ...

Mistakes

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 08/12/2009 - 08:01

I had a phase of being mistaken for a girl... I keep it in crew cuts now.

As an aside though, Yuko doesn't look childish or boyish enough to be mistaken in my opinion. I hope she gave the salesman the evil eye!

I just remembered

Comment by Zehnoda (not verified) Thu, 08/13/2009 - 02:26

I had a friend I used to hang out with around the same time. She was constantly mistaken for a guy. She kept her hair pretty short. If it wasn't for Facebook I probably wouldn't have seen her again. It looks like we traded hair lengths.

Shirt model person

Comment by CameoAppearance (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 13:55

Is that Yuko modelling the Phoenix Down shirt?

Yes it is!

Comment by Ananth Tue, 08/11/2009 - 15:04

Yes it is!

LIES!

Comment by Joe Fox (not verified) Wed, 08/12/2009 - 00:34

That Yuko is a spy!

shit i think you are right!!

Comment by Ananth Wed, 08/12/2009 - 09:48

shit i think you are right!!

Yea....that is her XP she

Comment by June (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 14:02

Yea....that is her XP she doesnt look like a guy at all! younger than her years.....yea XP just a bit.... i wouldnt call her A KID! Honestly...

That salesman guy.

Comment by Bobby Timony (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 14:27

I wonder if that salesman guy has any idea he's been featured in a webcomic today. I suspect not.
But it does make me wonder what sort of unknowable ripples we leave behind us as we wander through life. Ok, I'll take off my philosophy hat now.

Eeee, my first comment!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 14:32

Eeee, my first comment!

Have you guys ever thought about doing a "How we met" comic? I've always been curious as to how you guys met, but I can see why you wouldn't do that as it's unimportant in the long run. Just wondering though! :D

Hah, maybe some day! We try

Comment by Ananth Tue, 08/11/2009 - 15:06

Hah, maybe some day! We try to steer clear of terribly personal stuff ... maybe when we become as brave as Erika Moen! Yuko and I get more pleasure out of sharing the charm of life stuff, I think.

Ahem...

Comment by Nare (not verified) Sat, 08/15/2009 - 16:48

I think it meant how you ALL met... And I believe Conrad half-naked out of the shower all alone is quite personal xD

This happens to me too. When

Comment by Ryan (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 14:37

This happens to me too. When I was working on a political campaign last summer, I would get people all the time who would think its wonderful for young people to get involved in the process even when they can't vote. I was 22!

Did you let them think so?

Comment by Ananth Tue, 08/11/2009 - 15:13

Did you let them think so? It probably raised their enthusiasm ... !

Proofed at 40

Comment by Virtual Bob (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 14:45

Back in the late 20th century, I was carded at a club where I was entertaining business associates (who found it highly amusing and promised to have me back at 9 so mommie wouldn't worry). Yeah, I have a babyface, but I was 40 at the time and I'm also 6' 4". Hence I grew facial hair, which helped (until the grey finally set in, which really helped).
My wife, who is older than I, used to be mistaken for my daughter from time to time. She's 4' nuttin'. Lack of height seems to trigger the age blindness the most.
We're both amused (mostly) by the inability of people to judge age, but there are times that the temptation to employ Boot to the Head is hard to override.
BTW Yuko is ubercute (and most decidely female), and my wife thinks that Ananth is adorable.
Speaking of adorable, how are the foxes?

She IS cute, and def a

Comment by Ananth Tue, 08/11/2009 - 19:39

She IS cute, and def a girl.

There was a sighting recently! But I think July 4th fireworks may have made them a bit skittish. D:

Yeah, I know.

Comment by madclarinet (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 15:13

My eldest sister is quite small and she once almost got into a concert as the person thought she was a 'minor'.

At that time she was almost 40........

Thankfully she took it as a complement. Although at times its hard to spot her when she's with any of the nieces/nephews as she is around their height :-D

Too funny!

Comment by LadyChrisA (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 15:37

Oh, that's just too funny! Poor Yuko.. it's got to be no end of maddening. I'm not sure which is worse, forever being told "No, you can't be that old" or "You're only xx years old?? I was sure you were older." O_o
I agree with "Anonymous" that a vague "how you met comic" would be very cute. I used to follow Yuko when she did "Fallen" and I always knew of Annath from hearing about him via Megatokyo & Applegeeks. It'd be a neat story I bet. :D

Comment by Talizmyn (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 15:44

I haven't had that happen, but I do get the "Is your mommy there?" when I answer the phone to some telemarketers.. which, though annoying, always opens up the doors to more fun.

"No, my mommy left me alone today."
"I don't where my mommy is."
or
"I'm not supposed to talk to strangers."

Fun with strangers

Comment by Softspoken (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 19:55

Or: Mommy's having a medicinal sherry right now.
Or: I don't have a mommy. Do you want to talk to one of my dads?
Or: DADDY? IS THAT YOU? I'VE MISSED YOU!

Although someone might call social services if they're uber-panicky.

Wow

Comment by Steve (not verified) Wed, 08/12/2009 - 14:40

This sounds like SO much fun. I almost wish I could be mistaken for <18 years old.

Genius. Just. Genius. XD

Comment by Darth (not verified) Sat, 08/15/2009 - 10:32

Genius. Just. Genius. XD

I've found the most

Comment by Bah Whee (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 21:54

I've found the most effective thus far (with telemarketers, I make sure they're telemarketers first) is

"Oh... he/she's not with us anymore." They shut up, you get removed from mailing list, hooray for all!

And I'm 20 and look 13. On average. Maybe 11 if I stay in shape and have a good skin day.

People are crazy...

Comment by C.D. Reimer (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 15:58

For two years, I had an Amish beard that reached my chest. I got so annoyed when people asked me if I was terrorist, that I told them they would be the first one to find out if I was. Most laughed but a few started thinking what that meant and started running. Surprisingly, I had no trouble with law enforcement during that time. I shaved it off when it itched like crazy while I had the flu. I still have the remains of that beard in a zip lock bag. ;)

Hahaha, damn! Tip of the hat

Comment by Ananth Tue, 08/11/2009 - 19:41

Hahaha, damn! Tip of the hat to you, man.

At least that's better than,

Comment by Thain (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 16:08

At least that's better than, "It's so nice of you to take your little sister out to lunch!" "...That's my girlfriend." "..." "She's nineteen." ".............."

If your mistaken for a child

Comment by Lee (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 17:14

If your mistaken for a child again ask if they have sweets and if they know where your mummy is, and watch there reaction <3

Zoology shirts getting sold out >_<, I was hoping there would still be some left by september when student funding could pay for one. /cry

Chances are we'll restock at

Comment by Ananth Tue, 08/11/2009 - 19:42

Chances are we'll restock at some point! No worries!

I love the pinup you did for

Comment by Heather (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 18:01

I love the pinup you did for Eros Inc!

PS

Comment by Heather (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 18:06

I too get carded to buy lotto tickets and to go into sex shops... I'm 25.