AHHHHHHHH

AHHHHHHHH

Tue, 08/11/2009 - 11:19 by Ananth in response to parental supervision required

As we've seen before, Yuko occasionally gets mistaken for being younger than she is ... I was actually in the next room over packing up t-shirts when I heard this exchange, but this time it was an older guy and so we thought it worth chronicling! I think this is probably part of a series on Yuko being mistaken for things she's not, such as a boy. Yuko draws herself more boyish than she really is ... it baffles me that people make that mistake in our day-to-day lives.

A couple of things! First, Yuko did a pinup for Eros Inc. that looks mighty fine! It was in exchange for the guest comic he did for us a little while ago! One thing that delights me about the pin-up is the feet - you can tell what each character is like just by looking at the body language of their feet. Try it!

Finally, we announced it last week, but - there are ZooLOLogy and limited edition Phoenix Down tees on charcoal grey now stocked and available in the store! I should note that both shirts come in both mens and womens sizes! We used a new process called discharge printing for the new Phoenix Down shirts ... the design was originally screen-printed on, but it was unfortunately heavy on the shirt, and it crinkled up a bit, especially on ladies since they have more curves than guys. This new process essentially prints the design into the fabric of the shirt. It arrives pretty soft - but if you put it through one cycle of washer and dryer, the design gets EVEN softer, to the point that it's barely imperceptible from the texture of the shirt itself. We've been tweaking the Phoenix Down design to make it more wearable, and I think we found our solution in discharge printing. Both tees are pictured below - click through to hit the store!

Hope you like 'em!

Comments

I feel your pain

Comment by Dale (not verified) Wed, 08/12/2009 - 12:37

I'm also 25, get carded all the time for the 18 year old stuff. But being male, all I have to do to add a few years onto my life is not shave for a few days. xD

oh my god

Comment by alexds1 (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 18:18

Those little sideburns in the shirt pic are adorable. And you should have punched that guy in the face (kids get away with everything).

haha, i hadn't seen a pic of

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 18:35

haha, i hadn't seen a pic of her before, she is most definitely more feminine then when drawn

I get the 'boy' problem, too.

Comment by AlexLinkP (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 18:44

Haha. I get mistaken for a boy as well. I'm a highschooler so I don't get mistaken for being younger much, but I get mistaken for a boy a lot. I guess it's my fault for wearing boyish clothes and my TLOZ hat everywhere, but better that than a skirt. (geh.)

Yuko definitely does not look boyish. People are just weird. And her hairstyle's pretty cute, I'm actually thinking of getting a boycut (except my mom would kill me. See paragraph one. haha.) She looks really pretty, not boyish at all!

I actually feel weird about posting a comment though, since I'm younger than pretty much everyone else who's commented... (Everyone else can relate to all the college things but me xP)

I am absolutely in love with that pin-up that was done for Eros Inc.! It's incredible. Yuko's coloring skills and facial styles get to me every time. I see what Ananth meant about the feet, too! I never thought to look at people's feet for expression before!

slightly more awesome than you think

Comment by alman (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 18:45

people are always thinking I'm 3 or so years younger than I really am (maybe cause I keep my hair long... whatever). Sucks now that I'm 21 and noone believes me unless I grow a beard.

I always try to stay optimistic by thinking to myself that it'll be awesome to have people think I'm younger than I am once I hit the higher age brackets.

I'm not alone!

Comment by Kyon (not verified) Wed, 08/12/2009 - 01:29

I have the same problem. I'm hitting the mid 20s soon and I still get carded or worse. I substitute teach for some extra cash every now and then and on some few occasions I've been asked by the regular teachers what I was doing in the hall during class time. To top it off it would take me a week of no shaving to get Ananth's five a clock shadow.

Yup

Comment by Dale (not verified) Wed, 08/12/2009 - 12:39

I work IT at a middle school. I've been stopped by parents before asking me why I wasn't in class. I'm twenty-fricking-five. xD Usually a double take fixes that up though...

And it takes me a week to get the shadow too...

It takes me till 11 AM. D: I

Comment by Ananth Wed, 08/12/2009 - 15:48

It takes me till 11 AM. D: I want to put a razor on the same ring as my car keys.

that pinup...

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 20:53

think you may ever sell a few copies of it?

I doubt it, but I'll talk to

Comment by Ananth Wed, 08/12/2009 - 09:51

I doubt it, but I'll talk to Yuko and Mike and see!

Thanks!

Comment by N (not verified) Thu, 08/13/2009 - 18:29

Thanks for trying anway!

Thanks!

Comment by N (not verified) Thu, 08/13/2009 - 18:29

Thanks for trying anway!

Just thought about this

Comment by A.L (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 21:45

After reading the current comic and Ananth's post,it reminded me that when I use to have long hair I would get mistaken for a woman...alot,especially when I'm turned around to the back.Even when I wasn't I would have people walk up to me and call me ma'am.Apparently the facial hair and deep voice wasn't enough of a dead giveaway.

Also I still get carded when I get alcohol or buy cigarettes for my mom.My IDs have me with the plaits as well and scowling at the camera like I just took a mug shot,but even so people still think I'm 14-16 years old xP.

I never get that in person,

Comment by Yugosaki (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 22:15

I never get that in person, but I get it on the phone all the time. telemarketer: "may I speak with your mother or father?"
me: "you may- but you'll have to call them."

once i even had this:
female telemarketer: "can i speak with the man of the house?"
me: "i'm not man enough for you? Baby gimme 10 minutes i can change that"

That latter one was the first time i had a telemarketer hang up angrily on ME eheheh

That, my good sir, is funny.

Comment by Ruzzy (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 23:25

That, my good sir, is funny. xD

My wife gets this all the time

Comment by McClaud (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 22:37

We have a baby, too. The other day, some Conservative woman (we live in Nebraska) asked my wife it was hard raising a kid being a teenager. My wife replied, "I'm 26!" The lady then had the audacity to ask if she was married.

Don't ever move to Nebraska, man. You can read about and visit our state, but you don't want to live where the annoying judgemental Conservative people flock.

Oof, yeah, I don't know how

Comment by Ananth Wed, 08/12/2009 - 09:56

Oof, yeah, I don't know how much patience I'd have for that ... I would have probably real-life trolled someone like that were I in your wife's position. XD

"Why yes ma'am, I'm part of my husband's harem. Tuesday is my day, so my friends just call me Tuesday."

Ha ha ha!

Comment by McClaud (not verified) Wed, 08/12/2009 - 21:42

"We're actually from Utah."

Also I got a new cat and

Comment by Yugosaki (not verified) Tue, 08/11/2009 - 23:11

Also I got a new cat and named him Gonta because he runs away and hides from everything.

*Sigh*

Comment by Ashiru (not verified) Wed, 08/12/2009 - 00:00

That stuff happens to me more than I care to admit. I think the most recent was another waitress offering me a kids menu, either that or the time I went to the movies with my mom and siblings and the lady at the ticket counter charged my mom for 1 adult, 3 children. I think the only time they ever got mad a ME for it was when I got mad at a waiter for bringing me a kids cup at a restaurant and demanded that he change it. I don't get it though. I mean, sure I'm like, 5'2" but it's not like I look 12. Being mistaken for 12 when your 21 is annoying, especially when going to bars and ordering drinks. They look at me like I'm using a fake. XD

Ananah should feel the shame

Comment by Nare (not verified) Wed, 08/12/2009 - 00:08

I vote for Yuko forcing Ananth to grow a beard for a week and then go out with him holding hands. Let's see if he laughs that much after beeing stared at as if he were a cradle-robber.

Haha, I let my stubble grow

Comment by Ananth Wed, 08/12/2009 - 10:01

Haha, I let my stubble grow out and go out with Yuko all the time. Here's a recent photo our friend Charlie took. No one stares at me like a cradle-robber - my appearance helps contextualize Yuko's real age. ;) If you are looking for shame regarding this particular topic, you are talking to the wrong guy ... it's their mistake, not mine, you know?

Your right

Comment by Dale (not verified) Wed, 08/12/2009 - 12:45

You presence does make her look older. She looks a lot younger in the Phoenix Down shirt picture. xD

I've been in the same boat. Dated a Chinese girl for a couple of years, and people always went one way or another, first assuming she was only 12-13, then realizing she's older, so making the assumption she was 25-26. She was about 18 at the time. xD

I had kinda the same problem

Comment by Daniel (not verified) Wed, 08/12/2009 - 14:04

I had kinda the same problem with my girlfriend when we were going out. She was 4'8" (slightly taller now) and everyone thought she was 16 or so (was actually 19) and because at this point in time I was actually over 6 feet tall and grow a beard like chia-pet (I mean fast.) everyone thinks I'm in my 20s (I was/ am 18). It was annoying the looks I got at times. Her being from the Philippines probably didn't help. People seem to think that adult looking white guys with young Asian/Pacific Girlfriends are creeps here (my area of Colorado).

By the by, you guys look a great couple (A comment I'm sure you hear fairly often.)

I feel your pain on the

Comment by Ananth Wed, 08/12/2009 - 15:50

I feel your pain on the facial hair!

And thank you!

Oh man...

Comment by Dr.Rosencratz (not verified) Wed, 08/12/2009 - 01:07

I have the opposite problem... I'm in high school... shorter then my girlfriend (not sure of actual height >.<) Yet when me and my family go out to eat I always get offered alcohol first... I don't see it... All I've got is about 1 3/4 inches of goatee... Its fun though... I'll shave the goatee off when no one expects it and my own family doesn't recognize me at first... great way to blend in if I ever need to!

My brother loves the

Comment by Kyrra (not verified) Wed, 08/12/2009 - 02:58

My brother loves the Zoolology one, thanks!! I knew he would the minute I saw it. :D

That's good that you're changing the Phoenix Down ones. I think mine got stuck to the bag during shipping and it messed up the design a bit. But it's right down the seam, so I don't think it's too noticeable. It's still really pretty! :D

Glad your brother liked

Comment by Ananth Wed, 08/12/2009 - 10:06

Glad your brother liked it!

Oh no, I'm so sorry about your shirt! The seams are part of the reason we tried the new process. Luckily, like you said, it's not noticeable since it's down the side. Whew!

I'm 6 ft tall and not terribly skinny

Comment by rx (not verified) Wed, 08/12/2009 - 08:52

and I get mistaken for a dude ALL THE TIME when my hair is short. It's short now, but I'm talking boy haircut-ish short. Once, I was at a bar with friends and a guy I didn't know came up to me, slapped my ass and called me Kurt. I turned around and he turned WHITE. It was pretty good. I don't see how anyone can mistake my backside for a dude's, but it happens. Frequently.

HAHAHAHA that is amazing.

Comment by Ananth Wed, 08/12/2009 - 10:08

HAHAHAHA that is amazing. Wow. I really wish I could have been there.

pressure cooker, much?

Comment by abynormal (not verified) Wed, 08/12/2009 - 09:05

I love Yuko's expression of barely contained RAGE in the last two panels. I can almost hear her grinding her teeth.

eros

Comment by WoodeTron (not verified) Wed, 08/12/2009 - 09:19

Love the Guest comic over at Eros, Inc. :D

Just wish you'd update your own page more often, but I love Johnny Wander. :D

Two times a week is about as

Comment by Ananth Wed, 08/12/2009 - 10:11

Two times a week is about as much as we can manage right now ... maybe some day! Snf.

One day...

Comment by Drezz (not verified) Wed, 08/12/2009 - 09:31

... you'll wish for people to see you as younger than what you are.

The last time I went out to a club with my wife and some friends, I recognized one of the bouncers as the little brother of an old high school chum of mine. He didn't know me too well as he is about 12 years my junior, and promptly asked me for ID as I walked in.

He made my day.

I forgot about the grey hairs near my temples and goatee and the burden of responsibility for 10 seconds. It was nice. Hah! Then the bouncer felt silly when he recognized the name and remembered when his brother and I used to chase him away with a garden hose.

Then I felt old again.

Hahaha, that has to be an

Comment by Ananth Wed, 08/12/2009 - 10:12

Hahaha, that has to be an uncomfortable memory for a bouncer. XD

If she got a different

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 08/12/2009 - 10:26

If she got a different (probably longer) haircut, that would probably go along way...

I always hate when people

Comment by John K (not verified) Wed, 08/12/2009 - 10:40

I always hate when people treat younger then them adults as children... one of my all time pet peevs.

I used to get that...

Comment by Daniel (not verified) Wed, 08/12/2009 - 12:04

But then I gained a foot in height over the course of two years (lucky, if painful, for me)
I would always start speaking Japanese (I'm semi-fluent, and its the only other language I know). I find if you speak another language well enough that door to door sales guys generally stop bugging you. That said, being from the UK , I have a British accent which confuses the hell out of people.
(Trust me, Japanese sounds odd in a British accent!)

i get the opposite

Comment by Stephen (not verified) Wed, 08/12/2009 - 15:24

at around 5' 6"-5' 8" depending on which convenience store im leaving, some 200 plus pounds, and a full chop-to-chin beard, i've been mistaken for mid to late 20s, when im not even in that range yet(19).

I can see the age blindness, but not because of your height. i think its more your face and less conspicous curves. Course, most of the women i hang out with are shorter than me, and most of the older women of my life are my height or shorter. But you are most assuredly a GIRL.

Try Dating One...

Comment by Joe (not verified) Wed, 08/12/2009 - 17:42

Looking like an 8-year-old boy is one thing, but as Ananth can surely tell you, the looks you get when you're DATING a girl like that are even worse.

I can see how Yuko would

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 08/12/2009 - 18:41

I can see how Yuko would look like a guy. if i were drunk.

Also, she looks like shes 16. maybe less.

Thanks a LOT Yuko... Now I

Comment by ishida336 (not verified) Wed, 08/12/2009 - 19:55

Thanks a LOT Yuko...

Now I have yet ANOTHER crush!

RAGE!

Yuko doesn't look like a boy. And she looks plenty old enough to me. I guess it helps that I'm probably only an inch or so taller than she is.

Ananth, you're a lucky SOB.

Hey, at least you're not

Comment by Jude (not verified) Wed, 08/12/2009 - 21:26

Hey, at least you're not 5'9" and 21 years-old, and still being assumed to be a kid. D:<

One of my classmates in college actually told me that she thought I was a 15 year old boy when she first saw me in our Lit class, and door-to-door salesmen still ask to see my parents. Sigh. D:

Oh man,people mistake Yuko

Comment by sue119 (not verified) Thu, 08/13/2009 - 03:25

Oh man,people mistake Yuko as a guy even when she looks like that?!! Then they'll definitely mistake me as one as well.Yuko'll have an average height here in Malaysia,I think.Most of us here are short XD

Yuko

Comment by The Limit-Breaking Cat (not verified) Thu, 10/01/2009 - 22:46

Oh my goodness! Yuko looks so cute in that shirt, it makes me want to buy three. Maybe I will.

I'm 5'1" and 17, but people

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sun, 10/04/2009 - 14:33

I'm 5'1" and 17, but people always think:
a) I'm in college
b) I'm old enough to be a nurse/doctor
c) I'm middle-aged?!

It's rather disconcerting. :(

i want a ZooLOLogy t-shirt!!!

Comment by Qwertzuy (not verified) Wed, 02/29/2012 - 06:31

have you some in store? the lol-animals are so funny, i want to have to buy one!