It's a little different

It's a little different

Tue, 09/01/2009 - 15:50 by Ananth in response to at least it wasn't your head

DC subway doors are ... polite. They can sense if there's something in the way and will open back up to accommodate. NYC subway doors, on the other hand, are like the jaws of a cold, unfeeling beast. Here, Yuko has illustrated one such possibility in this scenario.

Poor Yuko has actually caught the worst of this ... she's had arms and wrists caught in the doors, and once they closed on her head (I had to pry them open as they actively tried to crush her D:).

It's actually not that scary once you get used to it, but ... be careful!

Also, Yuko submitted a design to Patchtogether.com! Patchtogether is a site where you submit your design to be made into a toy or figurine. Yuko did up a concept of her Maw:

If this is something that you might be interested in having on your desk or shelf, please head over to the site and vote! And if you have a moment and don't mind helping out, that'd be awful kind of you too. :D Be sure to click the turnaround under "more views" - Yuko actually did a full rotation of the concept. We're crossing our fingers and hoping it gets picked!

That's all guys! See you Thursday!

Comments

Say what you will, but....

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 16:00

Where, exactly, did "Maw" come from? I have seen various renditions Yuko has done here and there, but where did she (you) first come up with it? Is it from before Johnny Wander was imagined? From some previous past, shrouded in myth, mayhaps?

DC Subway Doors

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 16:11

From a now-common DC metro PSA: "Unlike elevator doors, train car doors will not open if they close on your hand or purse." That job is done by the ever-alert Metro drivers. Even so, NYC subway doors are much more vindictive.

NYC has rude subway doors.

Comment by Heid (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 16:20

I hate those subway doors. Was it painful at all when her arms/wrists get caught in the door? Or her head? That seems like it'd be pretty scary. D:

Also, I'm definitely going to vote for the Maw. I'd love to have one, so good luck on getting picked! I hope I don't jinx it :<

It's actually not too bad,

Comment by Ananth Tue, 09/01/2009 - 18:30

It's actually not too bad, just surprising!

Thank you for the vote! I hope it gets pickeddd

grace my shelf!

Comment by Kiley Bennett (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 16:21

I would absolutely love that for my room! it's cute and scary and wonderful all wrapped up in a black feathered bundle. Maybe I'm weird (I know I am) but I find the Maw obscenely cute

and Yuko I know how you feel, at least somewhat, my arm was caught in a hospital's elevator doors and they refused to let go, my mom wrestled me from their grasp

Ananth to the rescue!

-ki

D: Things you don't expect

Comment by Ananth Tue, 09/01/2009 - 18:31

D: Things you don't expect to happen at a hospital!

1. getting injured!

I think "obscenely cute" is

Comment by Ananth Tue, 09/01/2009 - 18:59

I think "obscenely cute" is the most accurate description I've heard!

Ironically, the places that

Comment by Kiley Bennett (not verified) Wed, 09/02/2009 - 21:52

Ironically, the places that I ten to get injured happen to be the places that you least except it, hospitals and a nursing home to be two of them.

and yay! my use of the word obscene has finally been accurate x3

I seriously hope it winds, Yuko, because I love it

I'd put it on my piano <3

I hate to inform Yuko but

Comment by Benjamin (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 16:28

I hate to inform Yuko but I've seen this happen to a man, his arm came clean off, by the time we reached his arm...it....it had been taken by the molemen...

Those molemen built this

Comment by Ananth Tue, 09/01/2009 - 18:32

Those molemen built this city!

AND NOW THAT MANS ARM IS A

Comment by Benjamin (not verified) Wed, 09/02/2009 - 04:04

AND NOW THAT MANS ARM IS A PART OF IT!

I CAN SEE FOREVER

Comment by Lauren (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 16:29

I think this is the first time Yuko has drawn pupils on herself, at least for quite a while.

I thought she just saw with her MIND.

annoying DC subway

Comment by Kimba (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 16:33

The DC subway is obnoxious the way they give you like only 4 seconds to get on the train when it's not "rush hour."

I'm not sure I've actually

Comment by Ananth Tue, 09/01/2009 - 18:34

I'm not sure I've actually experienced that, although if you want to hear someone hate the DC subway, talk to Conrad! I was pretty okay with it, except for the sort of outrageous fares. More recently, it's fallen into enough disrepair to cause some pretty major accidents ... !

Maw

Comment by DoomDuck (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 16:37

Suddenly the background of the site takes on a more unsettling light...

Make the birds stop looking at me!

~DD

Hahaha, we have an alternate

Comment by Ananth Tue, 09/01/2009 - 18:35

Hahaha, we have an alternate version of this wallpaper that we haven't had a good opportunity to use yet. XD It'll go up some time.

I hope that never happens

Comment by Kyon (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 16:39

I hope that never happens cause how could she draw?!
Anywho I would love a Maw figure. I sorta fell in love with your maws when I saw them, completely platonic and in no way beasty...Anywho, voted I hope it gets the green light.
Great comic as always.

D:

Comment by Aido Tue, 09/01/2009 - 21:19

Haha, I intentionally drew it as my left hand getting cut off.  Although whenever I get caught in the metro doors, it's always my right for some reason... =_=

DC subways

Comment by Kristopher (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 16:42

yeah i stopped taking the subway to work after the 20th time i had to practically punch someone in the face to get them to move from in front of the door so i could exit before the doors closed. now i just ride my bike.

Side-note

Comment by Kristopher (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 16:43

i didnt actually punch anyone in the face, but i have growled and pushed

Haha, one time in Sapporo I

Comment by Chelsea (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 17:00

Haha, one time in Sapporo I saw a woman get both her wrists stuck in the doors while she was standing on the *outside* of the car, and for a moment there was this look of abject terror on her face. And then the doors opened, and we were all denied the horrifying, bloody spectacle.

I love the Maw design!

Japanese Trains/Subways

Comment by Sidka (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 17:35

The trains and subways I've been on in Japan aren't too violent. It's more like a gentle pushing motion when they close on you before they pop back open and you get the rest of the way on, or someone helps to push you on. I've had them close on my luggage the first night I was there, and one time I had to be pushed in and held in while the doors closed so my yukata didn't get caught. I think the only reason they even let me in that car was because all my friends made it on, and it was a little obvious that all us foreigners were together.

Have you seen the posters in the Tokyo Metro subways? The yellow ones with the guy disobeying the signs and the old man just kinda being there. "Keep the swimming at the oceans (where one guy is 'swimming' to make it through the doors)" "...Backpacking at the mountains (with a large backpack)" "...Loud music at home (listening to loud music)". I know there are probably more, but those were the three that I saw last summer.

sweet music

Comment by Kimba (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 18:32

In Tokyo, I loved the little song they played when the doors closed. It's such a sweet little ditty.

Luckily...

Comment by Joe D (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 17:17

Well, let's just hope that Yuko draws with her right hand.

She does! Whew.

Comment by Ananth Tue, 09/01/2009 - 18:36

She does! Whew.

I heard a story the other

Comment by Stacey (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 17:18

I heard a story the other day about an old lady who was a little too slow, and the doors of the train closed on her head. They can't have been very violent doors though, she was fine (whew). Apparently it looked hilarious.

To be fair, it might have

Comment by Ananth Tue, 09/01/2009 - 18:36

To be fair, it might have looked a little silly ...

Oh Metro.

Comment by Linkette (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 17:33

I love going to the museums, and those trains are the only way there. They sure do like to get moving fast.

But, isn't it true that they're... either stopping for a good five minutes or um, well..
I don't remember what it was, but they're supposed to be doing something to avoid incidents like that Red Line Crash.

pulling ahead.

Comment by Kimba (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 18:36

They now pull the train completely to the front of the station, instead of staying somewhat in the center. It's rather annoying, especially if enter the station close to the rear when it's there... they come and leave so abruptly.

I'll buy eight!

Comment by Nate (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 17:47

If a flock of Maws doesn't convince that one jackass to stop knocking on the metal my cubicle walls every time he passes by, it should at least get the office ladies who hang around by the sink to quiet down while I'm on the phone with customers.

That toy is adorable. I want

Comment by Shoy (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 17:53

That toy is adorable. I want it. <33

I've always had that fear myself. It's why I don't stick my fingers out car windows as well. |3 It's happened once before and that terrified me.

ps: the back button doesn't work.

Glad you like the Maw!

Comment by Ananth Tue, 09/01/2009 - 19:00

Glad you like the Maw! :)

Conrad's working on the back button as we speak ... he's hoping to have it fixed by Thursday. Thanks for reminding us!

I've been fixing it for

Comment by conrad Wed, 09/02/2009 - 09:44

I've been fixing it for weeks, I just can't get this cache module to work like I need it to. ://

Maw =0

Comment by Razor (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 18:03

I think they're definitely a conversation piece. Cute in a bit of a creepy way.

Instead of 'caw, caw' I think they go "Hi! Hi! Hi!" =D

I think Yuko once drew them

Comment by Ananth Tue, 09/01/2009 - 19:03

I think Yuko once drew them saying, "mrmblmrmbl"?

Heh...

Comment by Nieve (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 18:07

... I bet Indiana Jones never has that problem.

*rimshot*

Really though. Must suck. Then again, it'd be worse if you get stuck on the outside... so yeah.

OVER 9000

Comment by Radiomaru (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 18:26

Ananth being able to pry NYC subway doors off a wailing Yuko's head is OVER 9000!

After that I kamehameha'd

Comment by Ananth Tue, 09/01/2009 - 19:16

After that I kamehameha'd the train conductor!!

understanding the first

Comment by Ananth Tue, 09/01/2009 - 19:42

understanding the first reference and making the second one makes me a huge nerd D:

Don't worry:

Comment by Aido Tue, 09/01/2009 - 21:20

You're BOTH huge nerds. <3

Why, thank you.

Comment by Radiomaru (not verified) Wed, 09/02/2009 - 13:50

Why, thank you.

Ananth is Gohan

Comment by Jer-oh-me (not verified) Thu, 09/03/2009 - 13:02

And then he chucked a spirit bomb at the switch board after calling out for every new yorker's anger at MTA.

Even the DC subways can be

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 18:53

Even the DC subways can be angry. My stepdad got caught in one of the Metro doors once, and severed his Achilles tendon! He had to have surgery, twice (after the first time, it re-snapped) and was in a cast for months...

Whoaaaaaaa, that's

Comment by Ananth Tue, 09/01/2009 - 19:17

Whoaaaaaaa, that's terrifying. I'm glad his Achilles tendon is back to normal, at least ... !

Portland Trimet MAX has polite doors too.

Comment by Jer-oh-me (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 19:05

Wow, must be that NYC Subway cars are all old models with fewer passenger safety features. The MAX lightrail trains here in PDX are very nice, and if you press your hand against them as they close they will re-open to admit you, just as the DC ones do, apparently. I think I'll go vote for the Maw, I think it'd be great for freaking the norms around here. I think the tongue ought to be pose-able, but it'd probably be cheaper to have a solid tongue.

Whoa whoa whoa! There are

Comment by hupsoonheng (not verified) Wed, 09/02/2009 - 02:01

Whoa whoa whoa! There are safety features--they never do stay closed if there's something between them, unless it's something really insignificant like a trailing backpack strap. There was actually a big incident some years ago with the last of the older models (the Redbird trains, used by the 2 and 7 lines) where a little boy got caught in the door, and was dragged from one end of the platform to the other. The Redbird trains were immediately taken off the tracks and sunk into the Hudson to create reefs.

Also, as an NYC native, the few times I visited DC I was like WILL THESE DOORS EVER CLOSE IT'S BEEN LONGER THAN 5 SECONDS at every station. 8D;

THIS TRAIN IS TAKING FOREVER!!! GRRR D:<

Comment by Jer-oh-me (not verified) Thu, 09/03/2009 - 12:55

Heh, yeah, PDX MAX trains are a lot like that. Glad to hear the danger danger trains are gone for good, nice to hear they've been put to good use as fish condos.

I think the tongue will end

Comment by Ananth Wed, 09/02/2009 - 10:31

I think the tongue will end up being solid! Yuko set it up as a balance point, I believe.

Wild Tongue

Comment by Jer-oh-me (not verified) Thu, 09/03/2009 - 12:56

Aww, well I figured it'd be simpler to make it solid anyhow. Wish I actually had disposable income right now.

Doors = Unfortunate

Comment by Fridge (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 19:47

I voted for the Maw! Hope it wins!

Also, I was carrying groceries onto a subway in NYC and had the door close on the last bag as I walked through. Sad to say, that bag contained the carton of eggs and large container of grapefruit juice. Most of the people evacuated the area and the workers were not happy..

...The janitors were friendly though.