It's a little different

It's a little different

Tue, 09/01/2009 - 15:50 by Ananth in response to at least it wasn't your head

DC subway doors are ... polite. They can sense if there's something in the way and will open back up to accommodate. NYC subway doors, on the other hand, are like the jaws of a cold, unfeeling beast. Here, Yuko has illustrated one such possibility in this scenario.

Poor Yuko has actually caught the worst of this ... she's had arms and wrists caught in the doors, and once they closed on her head (I had to pry them open as they actively tried to crush her D:).

It's actually not that scary once you get used to it, but ... be careful!

Also, Yuko submitted a design to Patchtogether.com! Patchtogether is a site where you submit your design to be made into a toy or figurine. Yuko did up a concept of her Maw:

If this is something that you might be interested in having on your desk or shelf, please head over to the site and vote! And if you have a moment and don't mind helping out, that'd be awful kind of you too. :D Be sure to click the turnaround under "more views" - Yuko actually did a full rotation of the concept. We're crossing our fingers and hoping it gets picked!

That's all guys! See you Thursday!

Comments

Oh nooooo! I'll take this as

Comment by Ananth Wed, 09/02/2009 - 10:32

Oh nooooo! I'll take this as a cautionary tale.

BANANA

Comment by rejectedlogic (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 19:54

that makes 5!

Aww, they're not that bad.

Comment by Judith (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 20:27

Aww, they're not that bad. If it's a cold unfeeling beast, then it's a cold unfeeling beast that prefers to avoid lawsuits. Still, I remember how scary it was the first time it got my foot.

And hey, me and Natalie wanna hang out with you guys again sometime! We actually never got Conrad's contact info after the move. We'd be glad to help you get to know the city a little better sometime. :)

Oh, that would be neat! I

Comment by Ananth Wed, 09/02/2009 - 10:33

Oh, that would be neat! I can't really drop my contact info here ... maybe you can get ours off of Rym or something? They should all have our info.

Haha sure, I'll give him a

Comment by Judith (not verified) Thu, 09/03/2009 - 09:06

Haha sure, I'll give him a call and ask. ^^

god forbid that happening to yuko

Comment by Fabian De Valle (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 20:36

kinda reminds me of the movie thirteen ghosts (the part where the door cuts the lawyer in half)

haha that actually happened

Comment by abcdario (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 21:26

haha that actually happened with me once, I went from a station to another with my open backpack on my hand outside the wagon lol

Hahaha, wow. I've only ever

Comment by Ananth Wed, 09/02/2009 - 10:34

Hahaha, wow. I've only ever had a backpack strap caught outside the wagon. Sounds like an adventure!

o_O

Comment by Steve (not verified) Wed, 09/02/2009 - 11:19

The... wagon...?

Yeah, that's what people

Comment by Chris D. (not verified) Wed, 09/02/2009 - 16:40

Yeah, that's what people talk about when they said they fell off the wagon. They got caught in doors and were flung outside by a giant spring loaded catapult.

I live in Montreal and I am

Comment by PT (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 22:36

I live in Montreal and I am curious to know if the subway drivers uses the mirrors on the ends of the stations to see if someone is coming or not. If they do, good lord, they must have super sights or something... Yesterday, someone actually brought a chair in a subway and used it during the ride. Kinda surprised...

Honestly, that's happened to

Comment by Jepha (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 23:07

Honestly, that's happened to me before with my computer bag...managed to force my way back out and snag it thankfully or I'd have lost my laptop...and about everything else.

SF MUNI

Comment by W. (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 23:07

The subway train doors here in San Francisco won't close if something's blocking the way, but they'll emit loud, ear-piercing noises to let you know of their frustrations at not being able to close. Everyone else on board will probably give you the stink eye too, which makes the awkwardness just as bad.

Already voted for Maw! It'd make an awesome figure to keep on my desk.

I love the layout of the

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 23:13

I love the layout of the comics. Fantastic use of the gutter <3

That was definitely my

Comment by Ananth Wed, 09/02/2009 - 10:35

That was definitely my favorite part too. <3

A plush version with a

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 23:16

A plush version with a bending wire tongue (and legs?) would be sweet.

Didn't Gauntlet Teach You Anything???

Comment by McClaud (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 23:26

"(I had to pry them open as they actively tried to crush her D:)"

Silly man. Use keys to open doors.

Seriously, though, on the Metro in London, a guy got his hand caught in the doors while we were on it. It took two of us to pry the door open. So no matter how scary NYC's subway doors are, London's Metro doors try to maul you for life.

NYC Subways are very

Comment by Phillip Albrecht (not verified) Tue, 09/01/2009 - 23:49

NYC Subways are very apathetic to the plight of lowly humans. They feel that, so long as they run on schedule, they've held up their side of the bargain.

I try and walk as often as I can in NYC.

Or drive, dare I say.

Oh maaan, I will never drive

Comment by Ananth Wed, 09/02/2009 - 10:37

Oh maaan, I will never drive here!

Yeah, to drive in NYC, you

Comment by Phillip Albrecht (not verified) Wed, 09/02/2009 - 15:11

Yeah, to drive in NYC, you need the patience of a god and balls of steel. I don't have the former, so it's entertaining to my passengers. :P

(I don't have the latter either, except when I'm driving, and even then...)

Awesome

Comment by Zellar (not verified) Wed, 09/02/2009 - 00:17

I went over and voted, that's just an awesome design. :D

Thank you! :D

Comment by Ananth Wed, 09/02/2009 - 10:38

Thank you! :D

the Maw is really cool, but

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 09/02/2009 - 00:49

the Maw is really cool, but what I really want is a yuko action figure... although now that I think about it that would probably be kind of kreepy.... in fact, forget the yuko figure, I'm totally cool with the Maw... o.o

I can see that dude hanging

Comment by fuzenmaru (not verified) Wed, 09/02/2009 - 02:27

I can see that dude hanging out on top of my desktop, my fridge, hell I'd consider attaching one in place of a hood ornament on my car. Imagine if someone did that with a black hearse?

Hahaha, it would be awesome

Comment by Ananth Wed, 09/02/2009 - 10:39

Hahaha, it would be awesome on the front end of a hearse.

Happens a lot 'round here...

Comment by YaNo (not verified) Wed, 09/02/2009 - 02:34

Yes, Mexico City subway (and most fellow passengers, unfortunately), tend to be absolutely not friendly. Even agressive. That somehow includes doors. There's an emergency lever in all trains, but people tend to react slowly when someone (or someone's body part) gets trapped between doors. There are stories, my friends, very creepy stories... and hilarious ones, too. Just be careful, right?

Read about the Maw in twitter and voted for it! Hope it wins! (crosses fingers)

i love th

Comment by sierra (not verified) Wed, 09/02/2009 - 02:45

e thing.

The subway doors in Hong

Comment by Eleutheria (not verified) Wed, 09/02/2009 - 05:19

The subway doors in Hong Kong have soft rubber and are trained to bounce open if they encounter anything that is not soft rubber.

It's been a long time since I went to NY...I don't suppose soft rubber can be found anywhere around subway trains, right

Not that I recall ... !

Comment by Ananth Wed, 09/02/2009 - 10:40

Not that I recall ... !

DC Metro

Comment by FailedNinja (not verified) Wed, 09/02/2009 - 08:34

I'm glad you've only had good experiences with the DC metro, but they definitely do not have polite sensors. I have seen people get caught by closing doors and others really wrestling to pry them open. Then they got chastised by the driver. >.<

Have you ever been yelled at

Comment by conrad Wed, 09/02/2009 - 09:08

Have you ever been yelled at by the driver over the intercom on the DC subway? That was probably the worst.

Subway like the Maw's Mouth

Comment by Guilherme (not verified) Wed, 09/02/2009 - 09:34

I live in Porto Alegre and here we don't have a subway station. But I have relatives that i visit in São Paulo and the subway doors there are really crazy like this maw dude. REALLY mad doors!
Btw cool monster i hope Yukos' Maw gets picked.

My fear. You drew it. I'm

Comment by Viga (not verified) Wed, 09/02/2009 - 10:31

My fear. You drew it. I'm now sad.

Saw that

Comment by Evan (not verified) Wed, 09/02/2009 - 11:22

I saw that happen on the Montreal Metro once. the girlfriend was getting on and it closed on her back-swinging-purse-carrying arm. So the boyfriend held her purse and was all "i'll meet you at the next stop!"... He had to hold a girly purse on a crowded platform. ha.

's Me again

Comment by Nieve (not verified) Wed, 09/02/2009 - 12:06

Yeah, forgot to mention.

I kinda sorta live in the Netherlands. The only subway I know of is in Amsterdam, but generally all trains, trams, buses, whatever are very user-friendly, to the point of abuse. I could stand between the doors for hours and not have them close on me... though I'd probably get kicked out by a bunch of people who really want that train to get moving.

Never Fear

Comment by Thomas (not verified) Wed, 09/02/2009 - 12:06

I've seen that kind of thing happen before; nothing will pop off. Of course, the time I saw it was in an animated film called Mind Game, so rather, cartoon Yuko has nothing to worry about.

Banana

Comment by rejectedlogic (not verified) Wed, 09/02/2009 - 13:05

This makes 6 :D

That is one of my worst

Comment by John K (not verified) Wed, 09/02/2009 - 13:09

That is one of my worst fears!!!

Montreal's metro doors are

Comment by lifeisticking (not verified) Wed, 09/02/2009 - 13:44

Montreal's metro doors are rather agressive too, although they will open back up if something's large like an arm is blocking the way...or a person stuck in the middle...(I see people get caught all the time trying to rush in), but you only have something like a second.

Once my portfolio got stuck and that was really annoying, thankfully it wasn't hurt during the ride and I was able to get it back in at the next station. These things are huge. And backpack straps stuck in the door is a classic... it happens to me a lot. Purses are in constant danger though, so hug them tight xD

Maw is awesome o_o

This!

Comment by Farasha (not verified) Wed, 09/02/2009 - 14:00

It's true! In New York the subways say HURRY UP WE HAVE PLACES TO GO DON'T HOLD THE DOORS.

Have you ever had a conductor yell at the passengers on your train for holding the doors open? I have!

Traumatized!

Comment by Bjorn (not verified) Wed, 09/02/2009 - 17:15

I once got my arm stuck in between the doors of the subway in Paris, it scared the living hell out of me. I don't remember if it hurt or anything like that, I just remember that it really freaked me out.

In any case, I avoid public transport as much as possible. People tend to tick me off.

Oh, I Forgot

Comment by McClaud (not verified) Wed, 09/02/2009 - 19:39

I voted. Thought Yuko might want all the support we can give her.

* And my wife voted too. Cha-Ching!

Long long ago

Comment by Zehnoda (not verified) Wed, 09/02/2009 - 19:47

My dad had a story about when he was but a young New Yorker, 35 years ago as the story goes. He said he once got his arm stuck, and had it jammed in there until the train made it to the next stop. Don't have subways or trains where I live so I have nothing to compare it to. Well, no passenger ones at least.

Nerds...

Comment by King_Bahamut (not verified) Wed, 09/02/2009 - 23:53

These comments are the nerdiest thing I have seen on this site thus far. The sad thing about it all is I watched dbz sometime ago, and I had missed some episodes and such, I think I had missed the 9000 bit, and all of a sudden my cousin who like many of my female cousins disliked it and liked Sailor moon which I disliked. Well she came along one time a couple years ago and said that and I was all what? Now I just groan everytime I hear it... Still the comic was pretty amusing, the slight pupils with the glasses was odd but also amusing in a way. I am enjoying the comics you guys have to offer, hope to enjoy plenty of laughter from these comics for a while(^^)

When I was small (I want to

Comment by A.M. Taylor (not verified) Thu, 09/03/2009 - 04:30

When I was small (I want to say 3 or 4 years) we went to visit my mother's family in Brooklyn. Not only did I get my head caught in a subway door- (uses her hands to mime getting her head clamped fore and aft) but I was nearly K.O.'d by a revolving door.

Somehow, I managed to make it home with no brain trauma. -_-'

Also: The Zoolology Shirt arrived yesterday! I will wear it today, to the confusion and bemusement of my co-workers!

(And thank you for the bookmark, it's adorable) xD

-A-

DC METRO

Comment by Sakura (not verified) Wed, 09/16/2009 - 00:22

... METRO...

The DC METRO system, i praise i; clean, timely, goes where i need, although- The doors closing is all controlled by the driver and if they're not paying attention they WILL CLOSE ON YOU. To get in, you have to get the jaws of life and throw your self in if you get caught. They do hurt especially the old 70's cars. :/ They are in no way polite- although the "doors closing" lady is.

Anyways; Its still my fear- i think i've had my arms caught that way but instead of my arms out side they're inside with a large bag. O_O

I was just there, and when I

Comment by Jedifreak (not verified) Thu, 04/08/2010 - 19:23

I was just there, and when I remembered this comic the metro scared the hell out of me.