that's a pretty sweet monster

that's a pretty sweet monster

Tue, 09/08/2009 - 15:38 by Aido in response to laundromat friends

Sorry about the lag, I came down with something yesterday and have been a shaking, sniffling mess.  The fever's gone, but I'm still feeling pretty crummy.  AND THEN I GAVE IT TO MIKE, I'M SO SORRY MIKE D:

Anyway, that kid was super cute.  Together, we filled up four pages in my sketchbook while we waited for laundry to finish.  Shortest laundry trip ever.  I went to a Lynda Barry talk about a year ago and she mentioned how the best way to talk to kids is to get out a piece of paper and to start drawing.  And man, is it true.

While I'm here, did you guys take a listen to the song Samm did for us?  Isn't it awesome?  I feel so honored to be a member of the Internet.  It's a crazy place here.

Comments

Aw, how... cute. Must have

Comment by Klonoa (not verified) Tue, 09/08/2009 - 15:44

Aw, how... cute. Must have been fun at least. Hope he didn't drive you insane that the next few comics will be about kids, monsters, or pets- Wait, no, the pets are awesome.

Looks like I'm just in time

Comment by A.L. (not verified) Tue, 09/08/2009 - 15:51

I thought the strip would have been up long before now xD.Anyway,that is pretty true,and I didn't even know it at the time.I use to get pencil and paper out with some of the kids at whomever house I would be at and get them to draw.It would calm their tails down and opened them up to creativity :).Also here's hoping your little friend becomes as good of an artist as you one day.

What a great story. Feel

Comment by Kyon (not verified) Tue, 09/08/2009 - 16:02

What a great story. Feel better! This includes you to Steve. The world would be in Shambles if the Multicultural Rangers are all sick.

Uh oh...

Comment by Steve (not verified) Wed, 09/09/2009 - 01:11

I'm pretty sure you mean Mike; I was sick a few weekends ago. Maybe I... gave it... to... them...? @_@

*fkees*

S-sorry

Comment by Kyon (not verified) Wed, 09/09/2009 - 12:46

Sorry Steve, glad to hear you're not sick. Feel better Mike!
I'm sorry for getting the names mixed up! it wont happen again!

Comment by lys (not verified) Tue, 09/08/2009 - 16:03

This comic warmed my heart and gave me the biggest smile. I love it. The power of drawing!!

(sorry you're not feeling well; hope it clears up soon!)

wow

Comment by kai (not verified) Tue, 09/08/2009 - 16:10

that is adorable. there is no other way to explain this.

Haha, this is just like

Comment by coffeeatteatime (not verified) Tue, 09/08/2009 - 16:12

Haha, this is just like Doctor Horrible :P

The Creeping Crud

Comment by Razor (not verified) Tue, 09/08/2009 - 16:14

You know, that sounds like something my fiance had the other day. He was shivering and had a fever and sneezing...but it didn't last long.

Laundromat friends. So cute. <3

Awwww.

Comment by Geoff (not verified) Tue, 09/08/2009 - 16:32

That is such a cute story, and the kid is absolutely adorable.

I gave a paper crane I made to the daughter of one of my coworkers, and now she adores me. I have no idea why.

So when are you having some of your own? Just kidding! *runs and hides*

Awww!!!

Comment by Amanda (not verified) Tue, 09/08/2009 - 17:11

That is super adorable, especially that last panel with you and Ananth smiling at him....such a cute moment!

Laundromat Adventures

Comment by Nate (not verified) Tue, 09/08/2009 - 17:18

I was at the laundromat with my lady-friend a couple of weeks ago. She'd brought a book to keep herself busy whilst I had brought my laptop and USB remote and was playing Nintendo games. After a little while, a young Latin boy, who'd been looking at me from afar, came up to me timidly and began watching me play. I didn't know Spanish, but after a few minutes I offered him the controller and he played Super Mario Bros. for about two hours before his mother called at him to hurry up.

Freakin' adorable!

D'aaw

Comment by Joe (not verified) Tue, 09/08/2009 - 17:37

Man, I wish I had that female racial bonus to Little Kids Rep. Then I, too, could have adorable moments. But alas! I've always lived in places equipped with our own washer / dryer. Guess that also rules out Dr. Horrible-esque secret love affairs.

Whoa whoa whoa!

Comment by Robert V Aldrich (not verified) Tue, 09/08/2009 - 18:13

Hey wait! What happened with the Jawa and Yuko's arm? That story needed closure!

Well--

Comment by Aido Tue, 09/08/2009 - 18:22

Maybe it was a story I just told the kid!

OR MAYBE IT GREW BACK AND I GOT BETTER?? :O

Or maybe...

Comment by Chris D. (not verified) Tue, 09/08/2009 - 19:03

...you've got a prosthetic arm. Go go Yuko arm!

Ahaha! I think those two

Comment by Ananth Tue, 09/08/2009 - 19:17

Ahaha! I think those two comics were it for that bit ... I'm sorry! I guess it did seem like a cliffhanger ... it was mostly just supposed to be silly!

The world needs more

Comment by Kyon (not verified) Tue, 09/08/2009 - 20:21

The world needs more sillyness.

Yeah. Sillyness with

Comment by Robert V Aldrich (not verified) Tue, 09/08/2009 - 21:50

Yeah. Sillyness with closure.

Hahaha I'm sorryyyyy

Comment by Ananth Wed, 09/09/2009 - 07:22

Hahaha I'm sorryyyyy

Sweet!

Comment by ChristineA (not verified) Tue, 09/08/2009 - 18:29

Very fun comic today! Sorry you're not feelin' so great though... best wishes for a speedy recovery. :D
And I totally agree, give a kid a pencil and some paper and they will more than likely be amused for hours. I do that when my nieces come to visit. :D

things like that make my

Comment by Fabian De Valle (not verified) Tue, 09/08/2009 - 18:44

things like that make my day,
hehe guess sometimes things get better sharing :)

(except fevers =[ sorry bout that)

Indeed

Comment by moritheil (not verified) Tue, 09/08/2009 - 20:39

That's probably the best summary of the Internet I've ever heard. It is truly "a crazy place."

Joy

Comment by Carron (not verified) Tue, 09/08/2009 - 22:11

Your comic brings me much joy! It's so happy and amusing... and I love that you always seem to find the best moments in others to draw about.

Thanks for all the joy you bring me!

My best friend

Comment by Zehnoda (not verified) Tue, 09/08/2009 - 22:41

's sister has a two year old who's my buddy. He likes to draw himself. He keeps trying to get me to draw with him, but I never had any talent for drawing. The only downside is he keeps trying to eat my phone.

This kid seems familiar

Comment by Matt (not verified) Wed, 09/09/2009 - 00:42

This reminds me of the comic where the kid dictates the story to his mother while she takes notes on the subway. Especially in that blog sketch where he dictates what Yuko should draw.

MAYBE THEY ARE THE SAME CHILD. *Twilight Zone music*

ADORABLE

Comment by Elizabeth B (not verified) Wed, 09/09/2009 - 00:58

BLEEEEEEEE, as my friend Benjamin once said of a kitten. Seriously, kids can be so great. I think they're best one-on-one--they seem to act out less that way, and you can really interact with them as little people.

Hope you feel better soon.

AWE!

Comment by Kiley Bennett (not verified) Wed, 09/09/2009 - 04:43

that is the sweetest thing ever! That's one of the things that I miss so much about drawing and running around places like the laundry mat. Though I play the piano and the guitar, so sometimes I like to sit around and play with kids... it makes me sad to, though, cause there aren't really any kids around here

Anyway's, a little random, but thanks for cheering me up Yuko, even if you didn't mean too. I had to take my mother to the emergency ward for a fall and they made my Awe out loud and get all teary eyed, but it made me happy all the same

My little brother does this

Comment by Watsonismyco-pilot (not verified) Wed, 09/09/2009 - 04:59

My little brother does this all the time. he loves to make up stories and then sometimes, when supposed to be doing homework, he would try and sketch them out. He also enjoys making tiny animals out of aluminum foil to go with his stories so he can act them out. Kids are precious.

Imagination

Comment by Drezz (not verified) Wed, 09/09/2009 - 07:52

They say that kids often have the greatest stories to tell since their imaginations are pure and innocent, and aren't bogged down with the complexities of real-life and all its stress and drama.

"There was a purple turtle that flew through the sky, and we jumped on its back and it took us to Hawaii."

To a kid, that's plausible. To us grown-ups, its silly. But its that imagination that makes things fun and different.

Layover

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 09/09/2009 - 08:49

Every time I fly out from Regina, Saskatchewan I get a 3 hour layover in Calgary, Alberta and as a rule I alway bring a dollar store sketchbook and a few extra pens because there is always a bunch of kids who's parents hadn't thought of any way to entertain them during the hour between flights so i just give all the kids some material and a pen and the whole terminal seems much happier and i get to add a whole new pile of drawings to my traveling folder.

this is such a nice idea!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 09/09/2009 - 17:52

this is such a nice idea! just as cute as the comic.

D'aww!

Comment by TEi (not verified) Wed, 09/09/2009 - 11:20

That's so absolutely adorable. I love Jorge's monster, for serious.

Eek!

Comment by Joyce - Gleevee's sis' (not verified) Wed, 09/09/2009 - 17:56

Little kids are just so cute! It's amazing what they can come up with on-the-fly. It's like watching miniature Einsteins. Jeorge's Monster... Maybe my 'bro can do something with that.

Side-note for dem 'mods: Yes. We all use the same contact address. I just happen to have control of the laptop today.

*sniff*

Comment by rejectedlogic (not verified) Wed, 09/09/2009 - 22:03

I miss the good old days when I could freely say banana... T_T
This would have been.... the ninth ... *sob*

Congratulations

Comment by McClaud (not verified) Wed, 09/09/2009 - 23:43

You're creating your own future competition on the Intertubes.

Heh, I'm j/k, but wouldn't it be kick ass if someday that kid became an artist/writer that created a comic that was uber-famous? And then that kid would tweet, "GO TO JOHNNY WANDER - THESE PEOPLE TAUGHT ME!"

You could so totally be like, "Aw yeah! We encouraged him when he was younger. Go Yuko! Go Ananth! We're so cooooool!"

(I live my Internet web comic writer fantasies through you people, I admit with some shame. ;_;)

Influence

Comment by Dorje (not verified) Thu, 09/10/2009 - 08:34

You never know what impact you'll have on a kid, or where it will take them. It's one of the joys, and pains, of working in the eduction professions. You meet so many bright and energetic children.

I had a wee kindergartner yak my ear off about Transformers and how the good autobots battle the bad autobots, and how when they turn bad they be become Decepticons. He had some trouble saying Decepticons, but he was on a roll(out) so I didn't interrupt him.

Children know more then most adults give them credit for.

(Shameless plug, support your local public schools!)

Comment by Samm Neiland (not verified) Thu, 09/10/2009 - 15:36

See, if I had a kid, I'd want him to be like this kid right here. He just seems... like so on the ball and so mentally active. Talking about stories and wanting to draw them out; this kid will probably have a really cool future interest in the arts, which is always a really nice thing to have <3

I hate it when people treat kids (especially their own parents) like they're some kind of second rate person. You guys are really awesome :3