Cecilia: The Girl with the Skeleton Hand

Hey guys! As you can see, there's some new things on the site. First, color! And second, this is the first page of a four page short we're doing. We hope you enjoy it! Yuko worked really hard on it, and I think it shows - as Conrad said, she really knocked it out of the park.

This short is the start of something a little different! The autobio comics aren't gone by any means, but these shorts are something we intended to have as part of Johnny Wander from the beginning, and we finally got the itch to jump into it. We're excited! Hopefully you are too. :)

ALSO! We have more Zoolology tees in the store!! Grab 'em while you can, they sold out a little faster than we expected the last time.

Comments

Rocks my socks

Comment by Kyon (not verified) Thu, 09/10/2009 - 19:14

It looks awesome! The title alone got me interested. I can't wait to read it.

Love it. The color palette

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 09/10/2009 - 19:18

Love it. The color palette choice really fits the ambiance, and it goes perfectly with Yuko's style.
Looking forward for the rest, and I'm glad to see you guys are willing to try new things, even though I love the auto-bio strips.

Do your best.

Thanks for giving us a

Comment by Ananth Fri, 09/11/2009 - 08:11

Thanks for giving us a chance! :)

Intriguing

Comment by mordacaiMT (not verified) Thu, 09/10/2009 - 19:25

Wow, this looks awesome.

If someone has a skeleton hand and it's "such a funny story", it's hard to wait till Tuesday to see what happened.

Ahh, I'm so excited, it's

Comment by Louie (not verified) Thu, 09/10/2009 - 19:33

Ahh, I'm so excited, it's looking awesome!! ; 3 ;

Yuko's work really shows on

Comment by Michael M. (not verified) Thu, 09/10/2009 - 19:42

Yuko's work really shows on this one. I mean, wow it looks awesome.

It also seems like a pretty interesting concept. I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

This is gorgeous Yuko! I

Comment by Chelsea (not verified) Thu, 09/10/2009 - 19:43

This is gorgeous Yuko! I can't wait to see more of this short. :)

Awesome

Comment by Doval (not verified) Thu, 09/10/2009 - 19:45

Oh man, I love it when Yuko puts a bit of extra effort into comic pages. This looks freaking fantastic.

This page actually took 4-5x

Comment by Ananth Fri, 09/11/2009 - 08:13

This page actually took 4-5x longer than her usual pages ... it was a labor of love and it totally shows!

Of course.

Comment by Doval (not verified) Mon, 09/14/2009 - 14:50

I figured as much, but I didn't want to imply that she doesn't put effort into the regular strips. And yeah, it totally does show. I was so delighted when I saw her Applegeeks guest strips. If she's gonna do a few more of these I don't mind waiting longer.

Your descent to the Dark Side is almost complete...

Comment by Virtual Bob (not verified) Thu, 09/10/2009 - 19:46

I'm soooooo happy!

The "disarming" was a neat diversion, now this! Channeling a little light-hearted Charles Addams whimsey?

(This is Beautiful, the Colour Adds a Whole New Dimension)

Comment by Andyman (not verified) Thu, 09/10/2009 - 19:53

I'm speechless.

Whoops.

Wow, visually amazing! Can't

Comment by SternEngel (not verified) Thu, 09/10/2009 - 19:54

Wow, visually amazing! Can't wait to read all of it!

Color!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 09/10/2009 - 20:12

Love the color, and the comic looks great! keep up the good work.

Maybe I'm overthinking things here...

Comment by Matt (not verified) Thu, 09/10/2009 - 20:18

But in panel 1, Yuko's arm has a line across it. Is that where they sewed it back on after recovering it from the subway Jawa? Or is it just a line to show that her elbow is bent and I am going insane?

I vote for reattachment

Comment by Joe (not verified) Thu, 09/10/2009 - 21:59

I vote for reattachment surgery.
I'm sure Yuko and Ananth do, too.
Even if they reply to this vehemently denying it, deep down, they secretly agree with us.

"They sold out a little faster..."

Comment by Sam (not verified) Thu, 09/10/2009 - 21:04

Yes, because they are great shirts :D
I am a Zoology grad student and I wear mine around the department. My fellow zoo nerds are highly amused.

zoology!

Comment by JaguarJax (not verified) Thu, 09/10/2009 - 21:09

haha hey I'm actually looking for programs in zoology for PhD training... if you have any advice for a prospective, let me know!

I'm so glad it made it into

Comment by Ananth Fri, 09/11/2009 - 08:15

I'm so glad it made it into a real zoology department! I also just had the sad revelation that I instinctively type "zoolology" rather than the real word ...

oh Yuko...

Comment by JaguarJax (not verified) Thu, 09/10/2009 - 21:07

...you are great! I get excited every time you put out a new JW, I think because I try to take a little inspiration from you for my own drawing. (of course I have a long way to go) but yea, something essential is captured in the expressiveness of each character, they are so lively! & the color just adds to it.

Ananth I'm sure you contribute somehow ;) jk I'm pretty pumped to see your "fiction" in action

Aaaaaah

Comment by JSRadio (not verified) Thu, 09/10/2009 - 21:18

I think her mole switches places D:

Oh, there's no mole! They're

Comment by Ananth Thu, 09/10/2009 - 21:25

Oh, there's no mole! They're dimples.

I know what it is!

Comment by Kriztov (not verified) Mon, 09/14/2009 - 05:37

It could be like Count De Money's mole in Mel Brooks' History of the World movie.

I'm good for the long haul.

Comment by John Malkinson (not verified) Thu, 09/10/2009 - 21:30

Well. Thats a keeper. With one concept line you've got my attention. You'll have it likely long enough to buy a book, if not for the fact that this is just a 4 page story... but hey. This is just the first. I knew I liked you guys for some reason.

You're too kind! We'd love

Comment by Ananth Fri, 09/11/2009 - 08:17

You're too kind! We'd love to do a book; we're just waiting till we accumulate enough strips.

Can we pre-order now?

Comment by Kyon (not verified) Fri, 09/11/2009 - 23:19

When it comes to that point I will most definitely be adding it. I'll have a place set on my shelves between Applegeeks and Kurosagi Corpse.

Stroke

Comment by John Malkinson (not verified) Sat, 09/12/2009 - 21:22

If we stroke your egos more can we also get a special added bonus autograph signed with ink made from Yuko's ground up hair follicles? If she doesn't wanna part with any new hair I'm sure I have enough of her's collected to fill at least 5 pens. If this is too much to ask then I'll gladly pay the extra $50 for the DVD collection as well. But It better have a fold out comic in the sleeve.

...

Comment by Kyon (not verified) Sun, 09/13/2009 - 00:46

Gotta be honest...th-that kinda scares me....

Don't be a creeper

Comment by CameoAppearance (not verified) Sun, 09/13/2009 - 13:16

Yeah, I think you (not you you; I mean John Malkinson) overshot "humorously absurd" and landed in "creepy". Next time, you should probably leave out the bit about Yuko's hair.

Summuhtime

Comment by Joe (not verified) Thu, 09/10/2009 - 22:02

I love the color in this comic. It reminds me of the end of summer. Especially with the iced tea and the boardwalk.
Can't wait to see how this "funny story" turns out.

lovely!

Comment by lys (not verified) Thu, 09/10/2009 - 22:02

Oh, oh, it's beautiful! I love the colour choice, I love the fashion, the scenery, Cecilia's name... looking forward to what comes next!

Jezz! I had no were to comment my awe for a while there

Comment by Nick (not verified) Thu, 09/10/2009 - 22:05

I was missing the blog post to go 'squee' at this comic, so had to just do it quietly to myself, at the time.
but now...

this is very very cool Yuko and Ananth

Sorry about that! Yesterday

Comment by Ananth Fri, 09/11/2009 - 08:19

Sorry about that! Yesterday was unbelievably busy ... I was doing my best to keep up. I think I managed!

=D

Comment by Razor (not verified) Thu, 09/10/2009 - 22:18

I love Cecelia's little mitts. <3

Me tooooo

Comment by Ananth Fri, 09/11/2009 - 08:33

Me tooooo

Oh my god this looks like

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 09/10/2009 - 22:59

Oh my god this looks like it's going to be the best thing to happen to me since cream cheese.

Color Me Impressed

Comment by Joe D. (not verified) Thu, 09/10/2009 - 23:04

Very nice choice of colors! Intentional or not, I like the muted monochromatic palette, as it related to your traditional set of comic tones while still being a departure.

Looking forward to seeing how things develop!

Nice analysis! You hit the

Comment by Ananth Fri, 09/11/2009 - 08:40

Nice analysis! You hit the nail on the head.

Ooooh!

Comment by Joe Fox (not verified) Fri, 09/11/2009 - 00:17

I love me the looks of the way this'll go! O:

Also, I love it when Yuko draws in color, it always looks wonderful. I especially like the slight sepia overtone. Makes me think of old-time movies from the 20's-30's.

I do believe you're onto

Comment by Ananth Fri, 09/11/2009 - 08:41

I do believe you're onto something. ;)

Hivemind!

Comment by CameoAppearance (not verified) Sun, 09/13/2009 - 13:21

Yeah, I was gonna say something about how I keep mistaking it for being set in the Depression era, based on the sepia plus Cecilia's taste in clothing. If it didn't have that Yuko and Ananth cameo, I would never have suspected otherwise.

Wow

Comment by Arcc (not verified) Fri, 09/11/2009 - 00:19

This looks to be quite impressive. The color and art are spectacular, certainly. Not to mention, the concept itself is a brillaint attention grabber. I cannot wait to hear her story. Tuesday is too far away!

On the note of the t-shirts, I once again missed the opportunity to get a Phoenix Down shirt in my size. I'd been watching for a restock notice for months, and then I went on a two-week trip off the grid. By the time I got back, the mediums had been stocked and sold out! Murphy's usually willing to cut me some slack, but I think this last month was just full of rebounding bad luck. Well, considering how fast they went, I can hardly imagine I'm alone. :)

Regarding the Phoenix Down

Comment by Ananth Fri, 09/11/2009 - 08:42

Regarding the Phoenix Down tees: more are coming! We got sidetracked, but it should be sorted out in the next couple of weeks. Keep an eye out! We'll certainly post about it here.

Wow!

Comment by Melikoth (not verified) Fri, 09/11/2009 - 00:20

Looks great, and now I really wanna find out what happens. I got cliffhanger'd hard.

Ok wow, this spooked me the

Comment by Anon E. Mouse (not verified) Fri, 09/11/2009 - 00:26

Ok wow, this spooked me the first time I saw it. It took me about 5 seconds after I saw the "girl with the skeleton hand" thing for me to remember that you guys were not longer just doing bio comics. Excellent job, the color looks wonderful, and the story looks great! keep it up ^_^

You can't make this stuff up.

Comment by Steve (not verified) Fri, 09/11/2009 - 01:46

This actually happened as Yuko and Ananth were coming back from the laundromat(?) the other day.

>___________>

Oh yes! Oh yes.

Comment by Ananth Fri, 09/11/2009 - 08:44

Oh yes! Oh yes.

Color!

Comment by tysonius (not verified) Fri, 09/11/2009 - 01:55

The color looks great, and anything you guys write should be fun. Looking forward to the new stories!

You're too kind! Thanks for

Comment by Ananth Fri, 09/11/2009 - 08:45

You're too kind! Thanks for giving us a chance!

I love new stuffs...

Comment by mylemonblue (not verified) Fri, 09/11/2009 - 02:39

Great stuff! This short kind of remind me of Freds Omake's over at Megatokyo. They are great little one shot departures from the regular ongoing story. Perhaps you guys can give some kind of title like that to these shorts? Anyways I love it when you start new stuff. I can't wait for the rest. ^____^