Cecilia: The Girl with the Skeleton Hand

Hey guys! As you can see, there's some new things on the site. First, color! And second, this is the first page of a four page short we're doing. We hope you enjoy it! Yuko worked really hard on it, and I think it shows - as Conrad said, she really knocked it out of the park.

This short is the start of something a little different! The autobio comics aren't gone by any means, but these shorts are something we intended to have as part of Johnny Wander from the beginning, and we finally got the itch to jump into it. We're excited! Hopefully you are too. :)

ALSO! We have more Zoolology tees in the store!! Grab 'em while you can, they sold out a little faster than we expected the last time.

Comments

They're probably going to be

Comment by Ananth Fri, 09/11/2009 - 08:46

They're probably going to be a little more regular than Fred's Omakes! But For now, I think we're calling them shorts ... eventually tags will be searchable, so we should probably come up with a proper term before then.

Excelent

Comment by Blu (not verified) Fri, 09/11/2009 - 02:40

i am incredibly excited, good days are here at last

Wow, that is such a

Comment by Ananth Fri, 09/11/2009 - 08:47

Wow, that is such a compliment! Thank you!

Aweshom

Comment by Matt Datchuk (not verified) Fri, 09/11/2009 - 03:08

I was starting to get into your comic recently, and I think the splash of color might be what I was missing. I hope you keep with it and I can't wait to see more. It's really fun and lighthearted.

The shorts will probably all

Comment by Ananth Fri, 09/11/2009 - 08:48

The shorts will probably all be in color! If you like fun and lighthearted, you'll like this arc. ;) We're trying to keep close to the tone and vibe of the rest of these comics.

Artistic

Comment by John Malkinson (not verified) Fri, 09/11/2009 - 03:38

Artistically speaking, I'm absolutely loving whats going on with the girl's sleeves in panel 3. And her clothing. I could fall for a chick in that outfit. She's really cute.

That was my first thought

Comment by Ananth Fri, 09/11/2009 - 08:51

That was my first thought when I saw Yuko's first scribble of Cecilia ... her whole personality jumped at me.

Colour? In MY Jonny Wander?

Comment by Andrew (not verified) Fri, 09/11/2009 - 05:53

Looks sweeter than honey guys! Your autobio comics have always been great, but I love comic shorts so I look forward to reading lots of these :D

There are going to be so

Comment by Ananth Fri, 09/11/2009 - 08:52

There are going to be so many of them, if we can manage it!

"Looks sweeter than honey" This is a great turn of phrase! I'm borrowing it. ;)

My Personal Favorite is "Its

Comment by Glue (not verified) Sun, 09/13/2009 - 19:18

My Personal Favorite is "Its so sweet it's gonna give me diabetes"

wrong kind of sweet

Comment by Adam M (not verified) Mon, 09/14/2009 - 21:55

The diabetes thing only really works for things that are sweet in a bad way, though. Like Barney the dinosaur or something.

The Girl with the Skeletal Hand

Comment by Fuzenmaru (not verified) Fri, 09/11/2009 - 06:00

I'm looking forward to this. Yuko, you've done a great job with the coloring. It was a pleasant surprise for me to find at 4:00 in the morning. Thank you Insomnia.

Dazzles the mind

Comment by Nieve (not verified) Fri, 09/11/2009 - 06:48

Wow. This caught me off guard. It's amazing. Really, Miss Yuko, you should do color more often! Then again, the usual comic book style has a charm to it, so...

Cecilia's a handsome one too. I mean seriously. Either way, it's an amazing job. I could stare at this for hours.

Hues of memory

Comment by overfloweffect (not verified) Fri, 09/11/2009 - 07:21

The last panel of the comic reminds me of the fair we hold here yearly, I almost always go around sunset when the sky holds that same color.

Looking forward to the next 3!

Wow!!!

Comment by Robert V Aldrich (not verified) Fri, 09/11/2009 - 07:21

Good lord, this is lovely. Very nice color. And the artwork, overall, seems to have been taken up a notch.

You've got a good eye Rob!

Comment by Ananth Fri, 09/11/2009 - 08:54

You've got a good eye Rob! There's color for sure, but Yuko actually spent a lot of extra time and care inking this at the outset.

It definitely shows. It's

Comment by Robert V Aldrich (not verified) Fri, 09/11/2009 - 11:55

It definitely shows. It's gorgeous.

just before the economic

Comment by Zak (not verified) Fri, 09/11/2009 - 07:29

just before the economic downturn? of which century? the last panel looks awfully 20s-ish. I mean, the hats, the fair, the hats...

Possible but not terribly likely

Comment by CameoAppearance (not verified) Sun, 09/13/2009 - 13:26

Not unless Yuko and Ananth are time travellers (or immortals... or both, i.e. Time Lords).

Or perhaps Cecilia's the one who's at least 97 years old and still looking youthful and sprightly in the present day?

Beautiful!

Comment by Angie (not verified) Fri, 09/11/2009 - 08:00

I love the way she drew the title! That could be a lovely font!

It was loosely based on

Comment by Ananth Fri, 09/11/2009 - 09:02

Here's the font it was loosely based on! SARAH CAPS The font is a little too pointy for my taste - I like Yuko's treatment better, she added more curve to the D and altered the A and W.

I gotta say - your colors

Comment by JMistry (not verified) Fri, 09/11/2009 - 08:41

I gotta say - your colors absolutely knocked the wind out of me. I have a hard time looking at them they're just so... perfect.

I'm not sure what it takes to get into it, or how submissions work or anything, but have you considered getting something into Kazu Kabuishi's "Flight" anthologies? This stuff would fit right in.

We'd love to ... ! But alas

Comment by Ananth Fri, 09/11/2009 - 09:02

We'd love to ... ! But alas (not really - Kazu Kibuishi picks great storytellers, which is always how it should work), you get in by invitation, and it has a lot to do with your previous body of work. Yuko and I don't have a lot of recent fiction that we've done yet, so there's no basis for recommendation ... maybe a few shorts will change that. :) I can only hope!

Oh my gosh. I've been

Comment by Megan (not verified) Fri, 09/11/2009 - 09:06

Oh my gosh. I've been following your comics for a while and, although I love the autobiography ones, I was compelled to comment.The coloring style is AMAZING. Is it Yuko doing the coloring as well? Or is someone else helping out?

Immense kudos.

The writing, also, is very well done. I never see the scripts but the layout of the comics just speak of tasteful storytelling c:

More power to you guys! <3

Yuko did the coloring,

Comment by Ananth Fri, 09/11/2009 - 11:55

Yuko did the coloring, yup!

Thank you! :)

fantastic

Comment by DisposablePal (not verified) Fri, 09/11/2009 - 09:26

i love the subtle use of color, its not overwhelming and compliments Yuko's art style really well. I'm totally looking forward to the rest of the story. Keep up the good work!

I simply cannot wait for the

Comment by Cassie-Jo (not verified) Fri, 09/11/2009 - 10:21

I simply cannot wait for the next one. Way to really grab your readers, you guys! I think just about everybody has already mentioned this, but the color is spectacular and I love it.

And when did the background's crows suddenly become very maw like?

Ahaha, I'm glad someone

Comment by Ananth Fri, 09/11/2009 - 11:58

Ahaha, I'm glad someone finally noticed! It happened last night, when this comic went up.

Thank you!

this is incredible and by

Comment by ufotofu (not verified) Fri, 09/11/2009 - 10:36

this is incredible

and by that

I mean Yuko Ota is incredible

It's true!!

Comment by Ananth Fri, 09/11/2009 - 11:56

It's true!!

A change of pace is ALWAYS good

Comment by Drezz (not verified) Fri, 09/11/2009 - 11:57

You guys need a departure from the typical write a gag/sketch a gag formula every once in awhile. We don't need you too suffering from creative burnout. These little 'asides' are a nice glimpse into your imaginations.

I know Ananth has some great stories in that head of his, and Yuko has some fantastic visuals to accompany them. I really enjoy your collaborations and I anticipate each new update.

Keep up the good work and the new experiments. :)

Skeleton

Comment by rejectedlogic (not verified) Fri, 09/11/2009 - 12:54

Do you think skeleton's eat bananas?

wow

Comment by kai (not verified) Fri, 09/11/2009 - 14:21

Yuko, that is GORGEOUS.

What ARE you using for the coloring?

Comment by Virtual Bob (not verified) Fri, 09/11/2009 - 14:54

As mentioned by others, the palette is great and really adds a period-piece atmosphere to the comic. But what are you using? It's so clean-looking without being sterile. It's hard to tell from my window into the internetz...

She inks with a brush, and

Comment by Ananth Fri, 09/11/2009 - 15:19

She inks with a brush, and then the colors are done in Photoshop. Hopefully that helps!

Skeleton hand....

Comment by Fabian De Valle (not verified) Fri, 09/11/2009 - 16:31

the first thought i had (after reading the comic) was omg piranhas ate her hand hehe

i kinda see where the color is going and well kudos to the style (call me old fashioned but i tend to like b/w more) heh you traded sheer contrast for a more 30's 40's sepia tone (and gracefully at that)

Long live this Web Comic!

b/w isn't gone! We'll still

Comment by Ananth Sat, 09/12/2009 - 09:08

b/w isn't gone! We'll still do the autobio stuff that way. ;)

Thanks!!

Amazing

Comment by digikami (not verified) Fri, 09/11/2009 - 16:39

Everything about this seems like it should be in a volume of Kazu Kibuishi's Flight. I wonder if there's any way of petitioning them...

Well ... if you think he

Comment by Ananth Sat, 09/12/2009 - 09:16

Well ... if you think he might find something interesting, you could drop him a line via e-mail? It's up to you! Flight has (good) stringent entry guidelines, so I always figure if it's going to happen then it'll just happen.

If you all are really

Comment by Courtney (not verified) Mon, 09/14/2009 - 09:30

If you all are really serious about getting in to Flight (and seriously, what comic artist doesn't want to get into Flight?) I'd suggest you guys post some of your comics or at least links to this site on the Flight forum. I believe Kazu and the other Flight artists look through there pretty regularly. Just getting your name out there can do wonders. For example, at ComicCon '08 just for kicks my brother gave Kazu a comic that he was selling and a few weeks later Kazu asked him to be a part of Flight 6. I agree with others that your style of art and storytelling would be perfect for Flight! So yeah, it's worth a shot, you never know :)

I love Celia's motions with

Comment by ~L.K. (not verified) Fri, 09/11/2009 - 17:27

I love Celia's motions with her skeletal hand. D:

Yay body language!

Comment by Ananth Sat, 09/12/2009 - 09:17

Yay body language!

I have enjoyed your domestic

Comment by darrylayo (not verified) Sat, 09/12/2009 - 02:14

I have enjoyed your domestic funnies and autobio work, but I can't even describe how excited I am about fiction. Looking forward to the rest!

Thank you! Hey, you're the

Comment by Ananth Sat, 09/12/2009 - 09:19

Thank you!

Hey, you're the one with the ad! Your stuff looks great! :D

Thanks; yep, that's me!

Comment by darrylayo (not verified) Sat, 09/12/2009 - 13:27

Thanks; yep, that's me!

Nice

Comment by Linn (not verified) Sat, 09/12/2009 - 10:10

The title, idea and colour palette combined with the art style really speaks to me. I like it a lot, looking forward to the rest.

I'm happy to hear the whole

Comment by Ananth Sun, 09/13/2009 - 16:32

I'm happy to hear the whole package interests you!

Oh wow!

Comment by Marcus (not verified) Sat, 09/12/2009 - 12:20

I'm so excited to hear this story!
It drew me in and it's keeping me here.

Good job, good job!

PS: The colors are so fantastic.
They're muted and slightly pastel but still kick ass.
Fdsfjasd LONG TIME FAN IS IN 'EXCITE-MODE'!

Her hand

Comment by Sonic (not verified) Sat, 09/12/2009 - 14:36

How does her hand move? Is it magic? It has no tendons...

I wondered about that myself

Comment by CameoAppearance (not verified) Sun, 09/13/2009 - 13:32

It probably is some sort of magical effect; otherwise it'd fall apart before it even had the opportunity to be moved. There's also nothing holding the bones together.