Girl with the Skeleton Hand pt. 4

Girl with the Skeleton Hand pt. 4

Thu, 09/24/2009 - 00:12 by Ananth in response to girl with the skeleton hand 4

Hey guys! We're a little later than we expected, but Yuko's been working into the AM to get this thing done, so here it is. Please give her a thank you! She's been working literally all day. Hope you enjoyed this little short! We'll be doing more, but we'll be planning them out more carefully in the future.

Yuko and I have been talking, and chances are this isn't the last you've seen of Cecilia and Death ... we'll probably see them again from time to time.

I, uh, also came up with some alternate takes on this story,

1. Death stalks her and "accidentally" kills anyone she dates
2. Cecilia keeps on poisoning people around herself so that she can continually "bump into him".

In the end we decided not to go with either of those, but I figured I'd share anyway.

Oh! These are works-in-progress (some edits are yet to be made), but check out these shots of the Maw sculpt:

Looking really good!

It looks like we'll be swinging by SPX this weekend - turns out there are a lot of familiar folks in town. We won't have a table, but we'll be walking around, so keep an eye out!

Oh! The ad currently running on the sidebar there is for Galaxion, a comic I started reading when I was in high school! It's since moved to the web ... it was a surprise influence on me earlier in life, in that is solidified to me that good sci-fi utilizes good character relationships. I geeked out a little when I saw it -- check it out!

Yuko says we'll be posting another comic on Friday, so keep an eye out - our schedule is clearly a little out of whack. ;) Back to normal next week! See you then!

Comments

pretty cool short. would

Comment by Babel (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 09:47

pretty cool short. would definately like to see more like this.

love it!

Comment by Miri (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 09:49

I think there should be a Cecilia and Death wedding topper figurine thing. I'd put it on my wedding cake...just saying.

I've been reading for a few months now (I spend my hard days at work catching up on awesome web comics) Questionable Content pointed me here when Jeph did a guest strip. I look forward to this strip and I think you guys are doing a wonderful job.

Yuko you are amazingly talented! Keep up the awesome work you two!

btw

Comment by Miri (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 09:51

I just bought my best friend a Jimi wallet for her birthday. I know she'll love it!

Thank you!

Comment by Ananth Fri, 09/25/2009 - 10:33

Thank you!

Oooooh, neato :3

Comment by Komrade Krisis (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 10:01

I really liked this arc, especially the way Death looks. I was confused as to who it was supposed to be at first, but now it makes sense.

I think Cecilia should definitely turn up more in the regular comics, as a cameo or as an actual cast member. Doesn't really matter, I just really love her character design.

Oh, and well done ^_^

D:

Comment by yraelis (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 10:01

I constantly remain in awe at the sheer awesomeness the two of you churn out.

Anyways, I suddenly have this impression that Cecelia and (uh, wait is this right...?) Death should get figures on patch together as well. That would be downright cute. (there aren't enough partial skeletony girls out there)

(oh... and I'm really curious to know who/what set up this blind date. I mean, it'd be really cool if it was a person, because then it would be like HO DAMN, who knows Death AND cool headed Cecelia? [I bet its Yuko])

Someone else mentioned this

Comment by Ananth Fri, 09/25/2009 - 10:34

Someone else mentioned this - we could do it if there was enough interest. I'll take a more public poll the next time we update (later today?!)

Aww. That was adorable and

Comment by Yu Huo (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 10:02

Aww. That was adorable and beautifully done. Thank you!

Love Story~~

Comment by Kairan (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 10:07

That was beyond adorable. I actually thought her hand was accidently killing people. ^^; I hope we get to see more of them, it's just too cool an idea done in such a sweet way.

~*KA*~

About alrtenate endings:
1) that would have been cool. Like he's all flustered and trying to stay away from her but can't help it. 83.
2) I don't know if Cecelia would have the...ruthlessness it takes to poison people, but that would have been a surprising twist. ^^~

That was fun!

Comment by Virtual Bob (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 10:09

I really enjoyed that. And I agree, Cecilia needs to return. The occasional diversion from the usual (although "usual" is an odd word to be using here) Johnny Wander strip would be greatly welcome. Yuko, Ananth, this is pure gold.

Awesome

Comment by Chad Attack (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 11:06

Awesome short Yuko, loved the art especially, hope you try to do this more often.

Great stuff!

Comment by jemanjiman (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 11:11

Hey, I started reading and caught up on Johnny Wander not too long ago and I just wanted to offer my praise for the comic. Great art (love the colors in the last few) and great writing; thanks much and keep up the great work!!

Haha, very cute. I'm

Comment by Chelsea (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 11:20

Haha, very cute. I'm definitely curious to see more of Cecilia and Death. :)

OMG the Maw looks awesome so far!! Aargh, I might have to hunt down a couple extra commissions to try and buy this. :|

Must have been a hell of a date...

Comment by Matt (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 11:34

Going steady after one date? Man, Death sure knows how to show a girl a good time!

Also, what's gonna happen when they kiss again? Is the follow-up story gonna be "Girl with the Skeleton Head"?

Then again, if she became

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 21:40

Then again, if she became completely skeletal the implications would certainly be interesting to fathom... :P

That was actually the

Comment by Ananth Fri, 09/25/2009 - 10:36

That was actually the running the joke - that the last panel would be skeleton-head Cecilia lying on the ground while Death covers his mouth with an open-palm hand and demurely states, "Oh my."

Great to see the Maw

Comment by Lupus Draconis (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 11:39

Great to see the Maw sculpture in the works, it looks awesome.
And speaking of Maws, how long have the birds in the background been Maws?

Danke schön

Comment by Zehnoda (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 12:00

I kept checking this page again and again yesterday. I am really wanting to know what happens next. I know Yuko needs time to make these, but I just can't wait for the next one! I am sure as fellow comic readers some of you know what I mean. You want to get the next chapter, you want to know how the story ends but you're not ready for it to end.

Oh yeah

Comment by Zehnoda (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 12:01

The Maw is looking pretty sexy too.

Time

Comment by Softspoken (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 12:07

Aw, I was expecting some big reveal about how Cecilia never ages. I thought the flashback where she meets Death seemed like it belonged way back in time... But we know she's in our time now, because we saw Ananth and Yuko in panel 1.

YOU GOT IT!!

Comment by Ananth Fri, 09/25/2009 - 10:38

Actually, you're right! There wasn't enough space for a reveal here, so we left clues that we can address with more clarity later on. But you are absolutely 100% correct - I'm so glad someone picked up on it! Nicely done!

That explains it

Comment by Adam M (not verified) Fri, 09/25/2009 - 17:51

That would explain how remarkably chill she throughout the story. Live long enough, and you learn to let the small stuff slide.

So if Cecelia doesn't age, is she another anthropomorphic personification like Death?

Aww!

Comment by Razor (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 12:23

Will Cecilia and her sweetie be Mr & Mrs. 'Joe Black' someday? =D

This was endlessly cute. Thanks Yuko!!

Great job!

Comment by quarky (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 12:55

Thank you Yuko for always working so hard! Thank you Ananth for the updates! You guys are awesome and I loved the story. ^_^;;

Siiigh

Comment by rejectedlogic (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 13:21

I bet he is sighing because he just though of a world laced with bananas.

Awwwwww!

Comment by AriCakes (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 13:32

How adorable! That really is the sweetest comic. :)

How?! How did I not catch

Comment by Ronri (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 13:44

How?! How did I not catch the foreshadowing? *hides in shame*

Also, I never thought the personification of death could be so... cute. <3 Keep up the good work!

Neil Gaiman's Death is the

Comment by Ananth Fri, 09/25/2009 - 10:41

Neil Gaiman's Death is the cutest by far! Totally adorable.

Comment by Pidgey (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 13:50

Thank you Yuko! I have read Johnny Wander from the very start and have been in love with it since. This short absolutely takes the cake to me though. I just LOVE Cecilia and Death -- they're so cute together! I fell in love with Cecilia on the first page. Badass skeleton hand + cute girl who is totally cool about owning said hand + cute wrist cuffs I must have = besteverrrrr

Johnny Wander is really one of my favorite webcomics ♥
Thank you Yuko and Ananth for all your hard work, and thank you again to the both of you plus your quirky friends for being so amusing. XD

Oh, also.

Comment by Pidgey (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 13:54

The maw figure is looking better than I could have EVER imagined. I want one so bad. I'm going to have to scrounge up some cash to get one! They aren't limited edition, are they? I don't mind paying the extra $5, I just want to be sure that I can get one even if I have to wait until.... oh, Christmas, maybe, if all else fails. :V

I don't believe they're

Comment by Ananth Fri, 09/25/2009 - 10:42

I don't believe they're limited edition -- I believe that once a statue gets approved it enters the Patchtogether store indefinitely.

Dziękuję :)

Comment by Paulina (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 15:34

Thank you, Yuko. Your comics are fantastic!

*Duh*

Comment by Joe D (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 15:35

Oh! He's death! Hurrr. Suppose that makes sense -_-

Lovey Dovey

Comment by Samm Neiland (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 15:36

Well its nice to see those two in super love again... but man, intimacy sure is going to be awkward. It will grow from "Girl With the Skeleton Hand" to "Girl With the Selective Skeleton Body Parts"

Love sure is

Comment by Ananth Fri, 09/25/2009 - 10:44

Love sure is complicated!

Actually, it's probably something we'll tackle later on.

So uh...

Comment by Steve (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 16:28

She's gonna have an entire skeleton body eventually, right? :x

Apparently I'm the late one

Comment by Novarri (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 17:00

Apparently I'm the late one on the scene of posting replies (I blame classes). So, as if it needed repeating: the comic's great. I'm always in awe of Yuko's skills at drawing, and more so in color. And, as [presumably] a writer, I have to say I love the storyline, too.
So, thanks for spending so much time making these. I'm looking forward to seeing more like this.

すごい!I really like

Comment by Zatchmort (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 17:29

すごい!I really like how Cecilia is charming but in a realistic/serious way, and Death is all cartoony and cute - bit of a contrast from what you might expect, but it totally works. More please! (But not so as to injure yourself... all-nighters are for college students, not grownups. XD )

p.s. I'm in Japan at the moment, so reading Johnny Wander always makes me think 「これはすきやきじゃなくて、だいすきやきでしょう?!」 ^__^

MAW!

Comment by Darth (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 19:00

The Maw is so gorgeous that yes, indeed, I would probably carry it around wherever I go if I were to buy it. :) Perhaps the next step in evolution is a plushie? :D
I really enjoyed this little story line. Seeing Death portrayed as so cute probably has changed my mind about that stage in life... And Cecilia is just so pretty!

Excellent distraction

Comment by Pix (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 19:34

Aw, these were great! Death and Cecelia are rather adorable together. I'm pretty sure sheepish Death is the most charming thing I've seen in awhile.

Added bonus: the Maw figurine looks great!

It ended a little too

Comment by Megan (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 20:12

It ended a little too quickly for me, but it was good while we had it! And totally understand Yuko's predicament -- it's not easy to color a digital page no matter what anyone says... x3

I love Cecilia and Death <3

More power you guys n.n And I totally wish I could get a Maw, but...I can't D: I will just sit here and envy the lucky people who can get it. lol.

Vault-Tec?

Comment by BobIsAPerson (not verified) Thu, 09/24/2009 - 21:03

Is it just me or does Death look a bit like a swarthy version of Vault Boy from Fallout 3?

Splendid job Yuko. Pat

Comment by Chief (not verified) Fri, 09/25/2009 - 00:23

Splendid job Yuko.
Pat yourself on the back gal...

どうも〜<3

Comment by kir (not verified) Fri, 09/25/2009 - 01:17

ありがとうございます!

I adored the short, I hope

Comment by Doomcake (not verified) Fri, 09/25/2009 - 03:58

I adored the short, I hope you decide to put more out in the future. <3

The sculpt looks amazing! What's it being made out of/who's making it?

It's being made by

Comment by Ananth Fri, 09/25/2009 - 10:47

It's being made by Patchtogether, and the final product will be made out of resin. We have something from the site, it's well made! We're excited.

Yay! I really loved that

Comment by Karlee (not verified) Fri, 09/25/2009 - 04:45

Yay! I really loved that short ^_^
Celia would look good on t-shirts....

Heh, I quite like the alternate ending where she poisons people in order to bump into him :)

MAWWWWWWMAWMAWMAW

'Twas an excellent

Comment by Abe (not verified) Fri, 09/25/2009 - 08:56

'Twas an excellent mini-sequence of comics!

So...is Cecelia immortal

Comment by Zak (not verified) Fri, 09/25/2009 - 09:43

So...is Cecelia immortal after her death smootch?

You're the second person to

Comment by Ananth Fri, 09/25/2009 - 10:46

You're the second person to pick up on it - yup! We left some clues in this short, we're going to tackle it more clearly later on. The primary focus this time around was the arc of their romance.