SPX

SPX

Tue, 09/29/2009 - 10:58 by Ananth in response to how to ensure yuko never wears a skirt again

Yuko wore a skirt the first day of SPX, which as we have previously established is mighty unusual! It was mega cute, though - despite all of the exclamations, she got plenty of compliments. And despite that huge grin she drew me with in the first panel, it wasn't my idea for her to wear it! Totally self-motivated. She also got a new haircut which she decided she hates but really it is pretty cute.

Yuko is pushing me to talk about SPX and I'm all like nnnnnnn it'll take too long and she'll all shut it up you and i'm all alright alright sheesh lady so here we go and I apologize if I've missed anyone (everyone, I've missed everyone).

Let's see, we met and re-met a lot of nice folks at SPX. George accompanied us as we met Danielle Corsetto for the first time, who is wonderful and I think tried to put Yuko in her pocket once or twice. Girl with Slingshots is a pretty comic for sure, but I had no idea she had such a deft and pro hand with the human figure - if you see her at a show, check out her prints! They're mostly of ladies and all clever and cute.

Speaking of clever and cute ladies, Erika Moen was a few tables down! Her DAR collection was my favorite thing we picked up at TCAF last year. We ran into her at the bar late Sunday along with Jeph & Cristi, and R Stevens. A nice relatively quiet way to wind down the show.

Oh, on Saturday I got to have a prolonged conversation with Dresden Codak's Aaron Diaz, who regaled us with tales of his childhood, and Rice Boy's Evan Dahm, who I didn't know was going to be there but totally nerded out when I realized it was him. Rice Boy is a lush, inky thing with fantasy and mystery and a strong voice, and I wish I had picked up his book after reading George's copy. Aaron wins the award for fastest arc of improvement, and his comics are about science and occasionally have a pretty lady, which I think is a winning combination. His relatively recent strip The Sleepwalkers cracked me up again over waffles this morning.

Yuko got runner-up in Raina's Smile contest! Gina baked shortbread cookies for the comics bakery - the maple pecan ones were delicious. They were all delicious. And I had no idea Dave Roman did Teen Boat, which was one of the first comics George introduced me to.

We also saw Colleen and Carol! Colleen was wearing an awesome t-shirt.

We also hung out with James and Cory again, and finally got to sit down and chat with Ray Fawkes and Rick Lacy, both of whom are really fucking funny. These guys make all of our small press shows a lot of fun.

Umm ... oh! Yuko got an awesome print from Scott C, who we ran into at the chocolate fondue fountain and then later (repeatedly) over the course of the show. He has the smile to end all wars!

ananth: Yuko is it over can i go

Yuko: yes you can go you big fat complainer

ananth: yessss

Yuko: now go grocery shopping

ananth: nooooo

Comments

When I first heard of SPX

Comment by Kyon (not verified) Tue, 09/29/2009 - 11:06

When I first heard of SPX (two weeks ago) I was blown away that I had never heard of it before because its right up the awesome ally. This post confirmed the awesomeness of it.

Damn cute.

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 09/29/2009 - 11:19

Damn cute.

That is, by far, the best

Comment by Phillip Albrecht (not verified) Tue, 09/29/2009 - 11:36

That is, by far, the best con report ever. I forgot you guys were going there, which is why I asked Yuko about NYAF. My female friends often do the same thing when they wear cute clothes; they blush and flail and grin wide. :)

Danielle Corsetto Rocks

Comment by RoccoDNYC (not verified) Tue, 09/29/2009 - 11:41

I love GWS. Rock the skirt Yuko.

Photographic evidence, please?!

Comment by C.D. Reimer (not verified) Tue, 09/29/2009 - 11:56

Where's the picture that's being twittered about in the last panel? Inquiring minds want a peep... ;)

It's like a terrible easter egg hunt!

Comment by conrad Tue, 09/29/2009 - 14:29

Let the game begin!!

the game has been won

Comment by O:O (not verified) Wed, 09/30/2009 - 09:25

Took a whole two minutes to find. At least half of that was Ogura Yuko's fault.

Next hunt: Yuko's head

Comment by Ramiel (not verified) Wed, 09/30/2009 - 09:28

Awesome Space Invader socks!

So cute :0

Comment by kindless (not verified) Thu, 10/01/2009 - 00:26

So cute :0

Girly style FTW

Comment by Razor (not verified) Tue, 09/29/2009 - 12:03

You go, Yuko. =) I think the grin on Ananth's face is cute ('yeah she's my girl isn't she adorable?').

Skirts rock!

Comment by ChristineA (not verified) Tue, 09/29/2009 - 12:10

Yes, skirts are cool. :D I bet Yuko looked way cute! I adore wearing skirts, but don't get a chance to wear them very often. Although why the heck you need to have an occasion to wear a skirt I'll never know. Maybe I'll wear one to Baltimore Comic Con. ;D Where is SPX held again??

She looks soooo cute.  SPX

Comment by Ananth Wed, 09/30/2009 - 01:50

She looks soooo cute.

SPX is held in Rockville, which is about 40 minutes from Baltimore. :)

Ack!

Comment by ChristineA (not verified) Thu, 10/01/2009 - 07:25

Awesome! Rockville is actually a little closer to me up here in PA than Baltimore. I will definitely have to see about going next year. :D

Wait...

Comment by Aaron (not verified) Thu, 10/01/2009 - 08:41

I THOUGHT WE COULDN'T GO BACK ROCKVILLE?

Damn you REM, and your college rock that has surprisingly withstood the test of time!

O Man.

Comment by darrylayo (not verified) Tue, 09/29/2009 - 12:17

SPX is an awesome show and you, Yuko and George are some of the friendliest people among a sea of super friendly people!

Rock on, Johnny Wanderers.

Thanks man! It was cool to

Comment by Ananth Wed, 09/30/2009 - 01:50

Thanks man! It was cool to meet you, we will hang!

...

Comment by djSARS (not verified) Tue, 09/29/2009 - 12:37

...its too cute \(>w < )/

Best. Con. Ever.

Comment by Joe D (not verified) Tue, 09/29/2009 - 12:42

Geeez, I had no idea you, Danielle and Scott C were all at SPX. What a dream team! I had spoken to Daniel at the Pittsburgh Comicon, and she expressed her dismay at never having the chance to meet you two. Glad you finally found each other! I'm going to try to get a booth for my comic, Apartment 4H, at next year's show. See you there, perhaps ;)

@_@

Comment by Kasek (not verified) Tue, 09/29/2009 - 13:23

I'm sorry, but I look at Comic!Yuko here, and what comes to mind is "When did Velma start appearing in this comic?"

SPX

Comment by rejectedlogic (not verified) Tue, 09/29/2009 - 13:26

I bet they had bananas for sale there. or at the very least somebody brought one.

Heeyyy!

Comment by Jan (not verified) Tue, 09/29/2009 - 13:36

Why did you not put a link to the twitter photo in the blog post?! I'm sure that's what everyone wants to see after reading the comic :D (I know I do)

It was for Yuko to post the

Comment by Ananth Wed, 09/30/2009 - 01:52

It was for Yuko to post the link if she wanted, which she did. ;) It's a little further down the comments.

indeed

Comment by Jan (not verified) Wed, 09/30/2009 - 03:06

You are right indeed.
Very cute, as expected. ;)

Apparently the squeaky wheel

Comment by Robert V Aldrich (not verified) Tue, 09/29/2009 - 14:18

Apparently the squeaky wheel doesn't get the oil, it gets the hammer.

I want photographic evidence too!

Comment by Kittymaverick (not verified) Tue, 09/29/2009 - 14:51

Can I haz photographic evidence?? :B

Count me in as well

Comment by ishida (not verified) Tue, 09/29/2009 - 15:58

I also wish to see said twittered picture.

Very nice to meet you both

Comment by Evan (not verified) Tue, 09/29/2009 - 16:07

Very nice to meet you both too and I hope to see you again sometime!

It was such a pleasure to

Comment by Ananth Wed, 09/30/2009 - 01:53

It was such a pleasure to meet you, man! Seeing you draw that picture of the One Electronic was one of the highlights of the show for me, your hand is so deft!

I will likely regret this!

Comment by Aido Tue, 09/29/2009 - 16:26

Here's the photo of me in the skirt that was tweeted.  >_>  There's Ananth to the left there.

That camera angle makes you

Comment by Matt (not verified) Tue, 09/29/2009 - 17:00

That camera angle makes you look really short, which is odd because you don't look all that short in comparison to (I presume) Ananth beside you. But it's a very good picture, nonetheless.

The camera angle is pretty

Comment by Ananth Tue, 09/29/2009 - 18:14

The camera angle is pretty weird, it's off of an iPhone! Yuko and I are both more proportionally sound.

?

Comment by Joe D. (not verified) Tue, 09/29/2009 - 18:19

OK, I gotta ask... does Ananth really rock the hoodie / hat combo all the time, or does he just dress like that for conventions, for the sake of identification?

I go in a tee when the

Comment by Ananth Wed, 09/30/2009 - 01:55

I go in a tee when the AC isn't cranked, but it was freezing in there. The hat is generally on - I've had light-sensitive eyes since childhood, so there's more to it than personal aesthetic!

No need for regrets

Comment by ishida (not verified) Tue, 09/29/2009 - 20:57

I agree with Ananth. You look cute in the skirt.

OH MY GOD! ANANTH HAS EYES!

a (short!) skirt, socks and

Comment by elione (not verified) Tue, 09/29/2009 - 21:35

a (short!) skirt, socks and sneakers, awwww!

OMGOSH

Comment by Kei (not verified) Wed, 09/30/2009 - 01:24

OH MAH GOSH YUKO SO CUTE~ You are really just darling. *valiantly resists the urge to squee* And btw your hair looks lovely.

I want to steal you >3>

Comment by kindless (not verified) Thu, 10/01/2009 - 00:31

I want to steal you >3>

You should not regret this

Comment by Javier Segovia (not verified) Thu, 10/01/2009 - 18:14

You should not regret this as you look super-cute, and the only thing the picture seems to be resulting in is compliments. Love the skirt, Aido. Love it!

(I swear I'm not hitting on your girl, Anath.)

Ananth: The truth behind the hat?

Comment by Dan Kahn (not verified) Tue, 09/29/2009 - 18:47

Ananth, I think I know why you always have a hat... you're really bald, aren't you? Or maybe you don't have eyes! Or maybe you've got a kick-ass scar? You're probably just shy...

OR MAYBE~!

desu desu desu

Comment by Steve (not verified) Wed, 09/30/2009 - 01:34

He insists on giving himself ridiculous haircuts. The hat is all Yuko's doing.

Haha, an awesome scar would

Comment by Ananth Wed, 09/30/2009 - 01:56

Haha, an awesome scar would be awesome. I'm not bald or anything like that - I mentioned above, I have light-sensitive eyes, so it eases whatever migraines I might get otherwise.

Sure....

Comment by Dan Kahn (not verified) Wed, 09/30/2009 - 22:42

Just as long as you're not like twilight, that'd be unforgivable. (Sucks about the sensitivity though... at least you've got nightvision, right?... RIGHT?!?)

why don't you use sunglasess

Comment by tsinik (not verified) Thu, 10/01/2009 - 23:41

why don't you use sunglasess instead? i have the same problem, and glasses with photosensitive lens do their job just fine.

I was there too! But i am

Comment by Katie (not verified) Tue, 09/29/2009 - 21:26

I was there too! But i am not as cool as George Rohac, with his use of otherwise unacceptable ...slang. ;D

Also, TIGHTS. They are the way to be warm. Maybe even leggings, as long as you don't try to make them pants.

It was nice to hang out with you both! Perhaps next time go home we can hang out again.

KAATIIEEEE

Comment by Aido Tue, 09/29/2009 - 21:42

IT WAS SO GOOD TO SEE YOOUU!! <3 <3 <3  If you ever find yourself in the NYC area, give us a ring!  We would be more than happy to host and/or feed you!

I'm going to scold Ananth now for forgetting  to add you to the con report. >:(

I was scolded ):

Comment by Ananth Wed, 09/30/2009 - 01:57

I was scolded ):

My work here is done.

Comment by Katie (not verified) Wed, 09/30/2009 - 09:26

My work here is done. :D

Seriously though, i'll give you guys a ring next time I'm up in the tri-state area.

spx

Comment by Myk (not verified) Tue, 09/29/2009 - 22:16

SPX sounds so fun. Glad to see you guys had a good time! I will make it out there one year :|

Nice(^^)

Comment by King_Bahamut (not verified) Tue, 09/29/2009 - 22:36

That is a really nice haircut Aido not sure why you wish to look like a guy, possibly for amusement but they way you drew yourself with that hairdo you look quite nice and your character does also look lovely in a skirt. As for anything else all I have to say is I am jealous of your skill in drawing, someday I plan on taking some sort of drawing lessons as I think that is neat. But until then I think I will stick to writing.

d'aww. yuko is hecka cute.

Comment by creativelybored (not verified) Wed, 09/30/2009 - 01:15

d'aww. yuko is hecka cute. coolbeans indeed.