SPX

SPX

Tue, 09/29/2009 - 10:58 by Ananth in response to how to ensure yuko never wears a skirt again

Yuko wore a skirt the first day of SPX, which as we have previously established is mighty unusual! It was mega cute, though - despite all of the exclamations, she got plenty of compliments. And despite that huge grin she drew me with in the first panel, it wasn't my idea for her to wear it! Totally self-motivated. She also got a new haircut which she decided she hates but really it is pretty cute.

Yuko is pushing me to talk about SPX and I'm all like nnnnnnn it'll take too long and she'll all shut it up you and i'm all alright alright sheesh lady so here we go and I apologize if I've missed anyone (everyone, I've missed everyone).

Let's see, we met and re-met a lot of nice folks at SPX. George accompanied us as we met Danielle Corsetto for the first time, who is wonderful and I think tried to put Yuko in her pocket once or twice. Girl with Slingshots is a pretty comic for sure, but I had no idea she had such a deft and pro hand with the human figure - if you see her at a show, check out her prints! They're mostly of ladies and all clever and cute.

Speaking of clever and cute ladies, Erika Moen was a few tables down! Her DAR collection was my favorite thing we picked up at TCAF last year. We ran into her at the bar late Sunday along with Jeph & Cristi, and R Stevens. A nice relatively quiet way to wind down the show.

Oh, on Saturday I got to have a prolonged conversation with Dresden Codak's Aaron Diaz, who regaled us with tales of his childhood, and Rice Boy's Evan Dahm, who I didn't know was going to be there but totally nerded out when I realized it was him. Rice Boy is a lush, inky thing with fantasy and mystery and a strong voice, and I wish I had picked up his book after reading George's copy. Aaron wins the award for fastest arc of improvement, and his comics are about science and occasionally have a pretty lady, which I think is a winning combination. His relatively recent strip The Sleepwalkers cracked me up again over waffles this morning.

Yuko got runner-up in Raina's Smile contest! Gina baked shortbread cookies for the comics bakery - the maple pecan ones were delicious. They were all delicious. And I had no idea Dave Roman did Teen Boat, which was one of the first comics George introduced me to.

We also saw Colleen and Carol! Colleen was wearing an awesome t-shirt.

We also hung out with James and Cory again, and finally got to sit down and chat with Ray Fawkes and Rick Lacy, both of whom are really fucking funny. These guys make all of our small press shows a lot of fun.

Umm ... oh! Yuko got an awesome print from Scott C, who we ran into at the chocolate fondue fountain and then later (repeatedly) over the course of the show. He has the smile to end all wars!

ananth: Yuko is it over can i go

Yuko: yes you can go you big fat complainer

ananth: yessss

Yuko: now go grocery shopping

ananth: nooooo

Comments

Ahhhhh, Yuko you look so

Comment by louie (not verified) Wed, 09/30/2009 - 01:27

Ahhhhh, Yuko you look so cute in that skirt, so cuuuute cuuuute

it's trueeeeee

Comment by Ananth Wed, 09/30/2009 - 01:58

it's trueeeeee

Since you won't come down here

Comment by Zehnoda (not verified) Wed, 09/30/2009 - 07:57

I guess I will have to go up north. Even Baltimore was more expensive than I could afford right now. Well, kinda. I may have spent too much money on video games but that's not the point!

Also, Ananth. You told me you have a powerstash!

Another compliment for beautiful Yuko

Comment by johnb (not verified) Wed, 09/30/2009 - 08:51

I didn't think the pic could be quite as cute as the cartoon, but I was wrong. Yuko, you do look beautiful and wicked cute! I know you're probably going to get sick of reading it ;) and I like the hair too :D listen to Ananth, he has good taste.

nnnnn

Comment by Abby (not verified) Wed, 09/30/2009 - 09:28

Hey! It was SO EXCITING meeting you guys at SPX! I UMMM gave you my zine pretty early on Saturday. It says "fuck yes!" across the cover, so that's how you know it's mine...

Haha, anyway, thanks for the brownie, I wish I could have talked to you longer! Um um um. YUP! Too bad I didn't notice that Yuko was wearing a skirt, I'd have been sure to make a note of the momentous occasion. :D

Oh Wow...

Comment by Carlos P. (not verified) Wed, 09/30/2009 - 10:19

I saw you all @ SPX and noticed Yuko looked different but just couldn't nail it. I must have been too swampt with all the comic goodness I spent this week's paycheck on.

Love the comic

Fret-Fret-Augh

Comment by Joe (not verified) Wed, 09/30/2009 - 10:50

Yuko looks like she's been taking some lessons from Gonta, in the comic. That's a really cute picture, though.

And OMG, do I see one of Ananth's eyes?

But can she act?

Comment by Opus the Poet (not verified) Wed, 09/30/2009 - 15:52

If you know the character Haruhi Fujioka, then you know who should play her in the Live Action Remake of the anime.

Now I know where Gonta got it...

Comment by Jess (not verified) Thu, 10/01/2009 - 06:15

Aw Yuko you are super cute! but this comic totally made me think of Gonta when he notices he's been noticed.

You two

Comment by Michael J. (not verified) Thu, 10/01/2009 - 08:03

People have been making comments about it for a while, but I'm a moron who is usually the last to pick up on something or figure something out. So this is to Conrad, Steve, Mike, Ananth and Yuko, are Yuko and Ananth going out?

Awwwww

Comment by Yuki-chan (not verified) Thu, 10/01/2009 - 08:19

yuko reminds me of Nae-rae now. it's a cute hair cut ^_^

Close to home?

Comment by Krimson (not verified) Thu, 10/01/2009 - 15:18

Oh my goodness, my friends do the same thing to me when I wear skirts (which is, quite obviously, Not Often at All). It is like being a wounded antelope in the middle of the savannah, but instead of having the hyenas eat you, they just act super giddy.

...But in that case, I suppose you'd be like a wounded anteLOLpe, rite?

Funny...

Comment by Linkette (not verified) Thu, 10/01/2009 - 17:22

Actually, this happens to me any time I wear the skirt uniform to school.

SUPER CUTE, YUKO! I likes the haircut much. :) Don't be afraid to wear a skirt again! The more often you do it, the less often people make a big deal out of it. (That's my theory, anyways.)

Copyright notice at the bottom

Comment by Jane (not verified) Thu, 10/01/2009 - 17:56

Hey guys! First of all great work!
But I also wanted to say that the skirt issue (http://www.johnnywander.com/comics/105) is supposed to be marked 099 instead of 098 ;)

Keep up the great work!

Jane

Whoa, thats very cute. Yuko

Comment by CeroWeb (not verified) Sat, 10/24/2009 - 18:12

Whoa, thats very cute.
Yuko should wear skirts more often =D

Aaaaaaugh!

Comment by Angela (not verified) Thu, 11/12/2009 - 21:43

I missed seeing you guys at SPX! I was told by several of the panelists that you two were there, but I missed you!
I was wearing your Pheonix T-Shirt. I hope I catch you guys at another convention in the future.

Evan Dahm

Comment by Attan (not verified) Wed, 03/31/2010 - 08:29

I actually know Even Dahm well mostly through osmosis of high school (and a couple of friends of mine have kept in touch with him) but I'm pretty sure I have the first ever printed Rice Boy shirt.... I'm pretty proud of it but it is deteriorating and it makes me sad...

GEE, I WONDER WHY

Comment by Elkian (not verified) Mon, 06/28/2010 - 20:46

No wonder you/she never wear/s skirts...

I found a dress in a clearance shop lately (I thought it was a shirt on the rack) and mom freaked out and everyone on Facebook told her I have a boyfriend or something (I don't), so I get where you're coming from here ^^'

This reminds me of something

Comment by Elkian (not verified) Mon, 06/28/2010 - 20:48

This reminds me of something with a friend of mine last year, who's so shy and quiet that when I got a pic of her awesome hat, I put it on Flickr as "photographic proof that Mandy exists"
(her neighbors have never seen her and are convinced her parents have an imaginary daughter)

Rice Boy

Comment by Aeovis (not verified) Sat, 07/03/2010 - 00:41

Now, it's one thing to binge comics. But multiples is a little unsettling. Last night I found myself building a story of my own with a friend while reading Johnny Wander and two different comics on DA simultaneously in dependence of which loaded first. So while I've been working on reading through Johnny Wander the past day or two, now you direct my to Rice Boy and I get sucked into that as well. @ A @

I'd really like to see all these comics you and Yuko reference in the newsposts, but if I clicked them all, it would end up like this and I'd have hundreds of tabs open and a very lag-y computer.

So! I had a thought! Do you think it would be possible to have a little section on the site where you listed and linked your favorite webcomics all in one spot? o A o It'd definitely be great, since I really think you all have marvelous taste and I'd love to read all these things. o v o

Rice Boy