omigosh hourlies!

omigosh hourlies!

Thu, 10/08/2009 - 15:29 by Aido in response to hourly comics: october 6th 2009

It should be noted: our days are hardly ever this interesting.  We just lucked out on having an especially adventure-y day on Tuesday.  Thank you again to Dave and Raina for meeting us at Nickelodeon, showing us around and overall being friendly and lovely people.  For those of you don't know, Dave Roman is one of the editors of Nickelodeon Magazine, which is shutting down at the end of the year, after nearly 20 years of publication.  It's a sad story, a lot of cartoonists got started in the comics industry doing comics for Nick Magazine.  It'll be sorely missed. :/

So many people did hourly comics this week!  Last Saturday was actually 24-Hour Comic Day, which I've only participated in once.  I was visiting my folks this past weekend so I couldn't participate this year either... but I wanted to do something special, so I jumped on the bandwagon and did hourlies too.

Did anyone else do a 24-hour comic or hourly comics?  Post up a link, I wanna see what you guys did!

[edit] Ananth's birthday cake!  The frosting was vanilla pudding made with heavy cream and butter. 8D

Comments

In Our defence

Comment by George Rohac (not verified) Thu, 10/08/2009 - 15:45

In our defence I did surgically remove the bit of the egg. So it wasnt that bad.

THAT is one delicious

Comment by Darth (not verified) Thu, 10/08/2009 - 15:48

THAT is one delicious looking piece of cake. I'll have to look back on that one blog about the recipe... :D
Loved the comic! Ananth still sleeps in his cap?

Oh geez. 1) That cake looks

Comment by Nik (not verified) Thu, 10/08/2009 - 15:48

Oh geez. 1) That cake looks AMAZING. 2) That sounds like a pretty awesome day. 3) Not me, but I know Katie at Awkward Zombie has hourlies posted as her most recent comic.

4) yaaaay JW you guys rock (just because it's true)

CAKE

Comment by Softspoken (not verified) Fri, 10/09/2009 - 15:31

I second #1. I cry a little bit inside because of that cake.

CAAAAAAAKE

Comment by Razor (not verified) Thu, 10/08/2009 - 15:50

Is that Jess' recipe? =D Those strawberries look awesome.

My co-workers gave me a birthday cake today that was frosted with cool whip and crushed Heath bar. Oh yes. <3

Nickelodeon Magazine, wow, neat! (boo that it's closing) You guys get invited to the coolest places. ^_^

Cake O.O

Comment by Akion (not verified) Thu, 10/08/2009 - 15:54

Wow, that cake makes me hungry. You did a really good job by the looks of it. Did it taste as good as it looks in the photo?

Looking at it reminds me of the cakes you see made of wax in catering windows as an example of their cakes which are no where near as pretty.

(It's not made of wax is it? Ananth would have a very interesting end to his birthday then; down casulty getting his stomach pumped.)

Yeah,

Comment by Steve (not verified) Thu, 10/08/2009 - 15:56

I'm not generally a cake fan, but that cake was DELICIOUS. Pudding icing = teh win.

C-can you guys make my birthday cake?

Comment by Kyon (not verified) Thu, 10/08/2009 - 16:00

That cake looks amazing but I'm a sucker for strawberries.
I know Jeph Jacques did some that he posted on his LJ but I am not skilled enough to do hourly comics and have them look like something that was drawn while riding in the back of a bus on a bumpy dirt road by a raccoon.

fail

Comment by Kyon (not verified) Sun, 10/11/2009 - 13:39

Besides the copious amounts of grammar faults I also didn't realize that Jeph was one of the links until after I posted, shows me for jumping the gun.

LET THEM EAT CAKE!

Comment by PenInHand (not verified) Thu, 10/08/2009 - 16:01

that sounds like a pretty awesome birthday guys. And that cake looks ridiculously good...not quite as good as a block of ice cream with a puddle of orca dragon blood on it. but still, delicious looking. ;)
HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY ANANTH! gosh you're getting tall. *pinches cheek.

yumz

Comment by disposablepal (not verified) Thu, 10/08/2009 - 16:01

that cake looks delicious, i'm a sucker for anything with strawberry. poor conrad, i know how he feels, i have to pull all nighters all the time with my job. Great comic guys, happy birthday Ananth!

OH MY GOD THAT CAKE LOOKS SO

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 10/08/2009 - 16:09

OH MY GOD THAT CAKE LOOKS SO GOOD.

I want that cake. I have

Comment by Viga (not verified) Thu, 10/08/2009 - 16:20

I want that cake.

I have also ate out of a cup due to no dishes. What can I say. Me and the roomies are messy.

That cake looks great! Tell

Comment by L. Nichols (not verified) Thu, 10/08/2009 - 16:39

That cake looks great! Tell Ananth I said happy birthday! Also, you guys should come to drawing group again!! It was really great having you over. I promise I'll bake more scones if you do come. And I'm sure the cats will love on you some more, too. Who can pass up kitty lovin'?

*__*

Comment by Aido Thu, 10/08/2009 - 16:54

Yesss!  That'd be awesome!  Do you do the drawing group at a regular time every week or is it more sporadic?

Same time every week. Though

Comment by L. Nichols (not verified) Fri, 10/09/2009 - 01:44

Same time every week. Though I'm not sure about this monday since it's a holiday? But usually 3... 3:30 on Mondays.

There's also going to be an impromptu one this Sunday, 1pm, Saint's Alp near the Bedford L in W'burg.

Next big idea...

Comment by Samm Neiland (not verified) Thu, 10/08/2009 - 16:45

Dragon cake... made of strawberry slices! :O

In the next update you

Comment by Aubrey (not verified) Thu, 10/08/2009 - 16:46

In the next update you should post the cake recipe! Pretty please?

RIP Nick Mag

Comment by Joe D (not verified) Thu, 10/08/2009 - 16:55

Man... my mom would always get those at her office. It was one of my precious joys from an otherwise harsh and unforgiving middle class white childhood.

No Hacksaw-Fish-Orca-Dragons?

Comment by Joe (not verified) Thu, 10/08/2009 - 17:06

I am demanding a cake like that for my next birthday. Strawberries, pudding and cake FTW.

24 Hr. comic

Comment by reynard61 (not verified) Thu, 10/08/2009 - 17:21

Sonny Strait did one for his "Car Bombs" comic: http://carbombscomic.com/

P.S. Yummy looking cake!!! Happy Birthday, Ananth!

is it me

Comment by Chimp (not verified) Thu, 10/08/2009 - 17:48

Or does Conrad always end up working all-nighters to get work done due to crazy shenanigans?

D:

Comment by Rachelle (not verified) Thu, 10/08/2009 - 20:26

There is truth in what you speak.

D'awww

Comment by T. H. T. (not verified) Thu, 10/08/2009 - 17:52

Aw, you two are so cute! :3

Anyway,
1. props to the cake! It looks delicious!
2. Birthday sushi?! Why didn't I think of that? Brilliant!
most importantly,
3. Happy Birthday Ananth!

That is one nice looking

Comment by Jes (not verified) Thu, 10/08/2009 - 18:48

That is one nice looking piece of cake!!

Dexter!

Comment by Jordan (not verified) Thu, 10/08/2009 - 18:58

Dexter is pretty awesome. The first season = the first book, but after that they pretty much have their own story lines. I'm not big on fruit on cake, but that looks totally amazing. It looks like you had an awesome day you lucky people you!

Birthday sushi sounds like

Comment by Max (not verified) Thu, 10/08/2009 - 19:34

Birthday sushi sounds like the greatest thing ever.

I made a 24 hour comic,

Comment by Chrisamaphone (not verified) Thu, 10/08/2009 - 19:41

I made a 24 hour comic, posted here: http://chrisamaphone.livejournal.com/705648.html

*~Happy Birthday

Comment by Rebecca (not verified) Thu, 10/08/2009 - 19:44

*~Happy Birthday Ananth~*

Yuko your hourlies are so cute :)
this week has been hourlies overload!
nickelodeon studios what??
awesome!

I forgot about 24 hour comic this year :(, but here's one from a couple years back!

I have to go through and

Comment by Ananth Fri, 10/09/2009 - 02:32

I have to go through and properly reply to everyone, but I wanted to say I clicked through to your DA; BEAUTIFUL stuff! Totally in love with the Jackie the Detective image, and several of the others.

Thank you!

Comment by Rebecca (not verified) Fri, 10/09/2009 - 15:10

aw, that's so nice of you to say! *sparkles*
I'm glad you liked them. I love your guy's comics! You and your pals are adorable :D

ZOMG PDA!!!

Comment by Tommeh the Lynx (not verified) Thu, 10/08/2009 - 19:53

I think this may be the first time I've ever seen Yuko show affection...like you know warm fuzzy feeling affection, anywho its adorable!!!

Also lol coffee mug cereal

YAY for nerding out about

Comment by LadyTerentia (not verified) Thu, 10/08/2009 - 21:27

YAY for nerding out about Avatar!!! <3

On the subject of eggs...

Comment by Matt (not verified) Thu, 10/08/2009 - 22:26

Aren't all eggs fertilized? Isn't that how the chickens pop out later? Do I fail biology forever? SOMEONE HELP ME.

Nope... birds can (and do)

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 10/09/2009 - 00:09

Nope... birds can (and do) lay eggs that are unfertilized. Eggs you eat from chickens just have the yolk and albumen with no embryo. You will only get more chickens if there is a rooster around to fertilize the egg before it is laid, which isn't the case in much of the poultry industry, including the US (I'm pretty sure you can get fertilized eggs in some countries.)

The more you know!

And now I know.

Comment by Matt (not verified) Fri, 10/09/2009 - 11:14

And knowing is half the battle.

QUESTION 2: Why would Ananth's egg being fertilized be a problem? Is it just because it'd be gross to have what is technically a dead chicken in your birthday cake, or something else?

It probably boils down to

Comment by Chris D. (not verified) Sat, 10/10/2009 - 07:37

It probably boils down to taste and perception. If you're used to seeing an egg unfertilized, one with an embryo in it will look distinctly...less appetizing. Also, depending on how far along it is...aminal partses

You wouldn't believe how

Comment by Katherine (not verified) Sun, 10/11/2009 - 21:46

You wouldn't believe how many adult men I've had to explain that to. I don't believe it. Did they teach boys anything in sex ed?

Fertilized, ew, was there blood in it? cause that would be the sign

This is the most interesting

Comment by Laura (not verified) Thu, 10/08/2009 - 22:58

This is the most interesting (and AWESOME) comic I have ever read. Food and t-shirts and awesome comics! :D (awesome!)

so... you made the pudding-icing from scratch? Did you make the cake from scratch, too, or am I getting carried away?

And Happy Belated Birthday, Ananth! 8D

Poor Conrad

Comment by Nare (not verified) Thu, 10/08/2009 - 23:49

Again pulling an all nighter, the guy deserves sleep too.

Btw, when making a cake with a layer of cream or pudding inside, I recommend soaking the top of the base with a little of syrup (or some sweet liquor) =3

I have bed sheets that have

Comment by Melanie (not verified) Thu, 10/08/2009 - 23:52

I have bed sheets that have the exact same pattern as that plate. Ya know, in case you were wondering...

I am so jealous you have friends to be nerdy with about Avatar, and you got to do it in a Nickelodeon studio! That sounded way dirtier than I intended.

Love the comic, never stop!

24 hour comix day

Comment by Myk (not verified) Thu, 10/08/2009 - 23:56

gah. I've been unable to do 24 hour comic day for the past... 3-4 years :[ At least there's still Inktober!

Awww, really? Nick Mag is

Comment by Briget (not verified) Fri, 10/09/2009 - 00:02

Awww, really? Nick Mag is finally going kaput? That makes me so sad. I remember when I had a subscription. For like, 6 years. I still have all my back issues (oh packratty-ness, sometimes you're handy) and when I was older I actually went and started reading them cover to cover and they were fascinating all the way through (when I was 7 I just wanted it for the comics).

But that sounds like a freaking awesome day in general and a completely delicious looking cake. :D

OMG! I thought...

Comment by C.D. Reimer (not verified) Fri, 10/09/2009 - 00:28

Editing two chapters from my 700-page ghost novel in one night was bad. You guys take the cake. :)

The comic cake looked like

Comment by Brian (not verified) Fri, 10/09/2009 - 00:31

The comic cake looked like it had pepperoni on it... to me anyways.
Is it weird that my first thought was "hmmm... that looks good" and did anyone else think of pepperoni at all?
I fear I am weird.

I thought it looked like

Comment by Matt (not verified) Fri, 10/09/2009 - 11:18

I thought it looked like pepperoni too, but I thought "WHY WOULD YOU PUT PEPPERONI ON A CAKE EWWW" I was relieved to learn it was strawberries. But hey man, if pepperoni cake looks good to you, go make it. Live your dream!

All right, I can do

Comment by Brian (not verified) Sat, 10/10/2009 - 01:36

All right, I can do this!
Anyone know any recipes that will make something cake like in appearance, but tastes good with meat?

I swear, I will try my best, and post pictures. Fo'rizzle.

Cool birthday))

Comment by Marcellus (not verified) Fri, 10/09/2009 - 00:58

Cool birthday))

Oh myy, this cake is

Comment by Marcellus (not verified) Fri, 10/09/2009 - 01:02

Oh myy, this cake is awesome, looks very delicious!!! You guys are great)

Eventful comic

Comment by A.L. (not verified) Fri, 10/09/2009 - 01:25

Longest comic yet,and very eventfully at that.I believe the bit about your days that being that eventful,but you wouldn't be able to tell from the comic.Stinks to hear Nick Mag going down,that's just as bad as to what happened to EGM (though that should be getting rebooted soon) and 1up.com.Ananth's cake looks delicious,I wish I were getting something that looked that great for my birthday.