JOOOOOHN, Maw figurine news

JOOOOOHN, Maw figurine news

Tue, 10/13/2009 - 15:15 by Ananth in response to but you don't live with us anymore

This isn't entirely true; John used Conrad's empty room as his office for a couple of weeks, and he's here on an almost daily basis. But ... John sometimes comes over and does our dishes, which, while awesome, also makes us all feel very very guilty.

News about the Maw figurine! First: Final product photos are up on Patchtogether! Second: As you can see by the slightly altered ad on the right, preorders for the Maw end on the 25th. After that I'm not quite sure what happens (very professional of me, I know), but it'll probably become more difficult to get ahold of them. What I'm saying is that if you want to guarantee that you get your hands on one, you probably want to order before the 25th of October.

Oh, I've done a redesign of the website. ;) I'm almost ready to pass it over to Conrad to implement - it's a lot cleaner and sleeker than what's going on now, I'm really happy with it.

Comments

Dude, John is your Cyrus.

Comment by Viga (not verified) Tue, 10/13/2009 - 15:24

Dude, John is your Cyrus.

So, we got a friend named Cyrus who used to live at our apartment. When he comes and visits he does that. Makes me fell guilty and kinda weirded out.

I'm like: "you don't haaaaaaaaaaaave too."

He doesn't have to, but if

Comment by Ananth Wed, 10/14/2009 - 12:39

He doesn't have to, but if he does, hey ... why argue? XD

It's just so much more fun

Comment by QuoteRadar (not verified) Tue, 10/13/2009 - 15:27

It's just so much more fun to do other peoples' dishes than to do your own... I have occasionally fought for my right to do dishes at places other than my own home.

Beware the "Godfather rule"

Comment by Drezz (not verified) Tue, 10/13/2009 - 15:32

It's all fun and games while John does your dishes, but one day, you're going to feel the effects of the Godfather rule, and it wont be pretty.

The rule isn't the 'offer you can't refuse.'

It's the 'one day I will call upon you to do ME a favor...' rule.

I use it exclusively. You'd be surprised how many people offer to do stuff for you later. =D

We dread the day it comes,

Comment by Ananth Wed, 10/14/2009 - 12:39

We dread the day it comes, but we are prepared!

Funnier when he's mad

Comment by Farorna (not verified) Tue, 10/13/2009 - 15:39

John's faces always make my day.

Haha, I wish my friends had

Comment by Chelsea (not verified) Tue, 10/13/2009 - 15:59

Haha, I wish my friends had that 'problem'! ;)

The figurines look amazing!!

Thank you!

Comment by Ananth Wed, 10/14/2009 - 12:37

Thank you!

John is my ME

Comment by Joe D (not verified) Tue, 10/13/2009 - 16:12

...I totally do this when I go to my old apartment -_- But God knows they need it.

I was going to say the same

Comment by Jer-oh-me (not verified) Tue, 10/13/2009 - 21:52

I was going to say the same thing, though it's usually I see dirty stuff anywhere someone I know lives, I generally clean it.

Ethos

Comment by Choeki (not verified) Tue, 10/13/2009 - 16:28

I can sympathize - I crave order when (perceived) neglect is present. Especially when it is something as simple as unwashed dishes, tarnished silver, dusty shelves, etc.. I've met a handful of people with the same attitude and we have nearly the same mentality regarding such "services"... There's no need to thank us as we clean and organize at our own personal pleasure (but it is nice to have the sentiment).

Oddly enough, when it comes to our own domiciles the level of cleanliness and order can range quite a bit. In some cases, we tend to have more initiative and drive to "solve" other people's situations than our own.

John, you are my hero

Comment by Robert V Aldrich (not verified) Tue, 10/13/2009 - 16:51

This does raise an interesting point. You guys are the Multicultural Rangers, right? And you've got an unoffiliated white guy coming in and doing your dishes. That sounds like a Sixth Ranger syndrome, if you ask me.

Ahahaha I just sent you an

Comment by Ananth Wed, 10/14/2009 - 12:44

Ahahaha I just sent you an e-mail. XD

I have this problem too

Comment by A.L. (not verified) Tue, 10/13/2009 - 17:17

I have a friend whose house I use to frequent alot when were in highschool.He was pretty cool and laid back guy,but he was abit of a slob,and his room would pretty much stay looking a hot mess.Everytime I would go over I would help him clean it up if it was really bad and help clean the kitchen.I didn't really mind it,probably way less than having to clean my house because of how nasty and lazy my brothers were.I actually think the only reason he didn't bother cleaning too often was because he was the only child out of his other siblings who was still staying with his mom.

Also it's my birthday today,jubilation!

Happy birthday!!

Comment by Ananth Wed, 10/14/2009 - 12:46

Happy birthday!!

not faaaaair. D=

Comment by Cheri (not verified) Tue, 10/13/2009 - 17:22

I wish John was MY friend.
poutpoutpout.

Hahaha ... do you? DO YOU?!

Comment by Ananth Wed, 10/14/2009 - 12:47

Hahaha ... do you? DO YOU?!

... yeeesss? ._.

Comment by Cheri (not verified) Wed, 10/14/2009 - 17:52

...
yeeesss? ._.

The Dish fairy! So while in

Comment by Kyon (not verified) Tue, 10/13/2009 - 17:38

The Dish fairy!

So while in college we would clean the hub maybe once a week, at the beginning of the spring semester we started to find the hub in amazing condition every morning, dishes cleaned, fridge stocked with eggs and milk. Turned out a professor started to live in one of the empty dorm rooms while his apartment was being fixed from heavy snow damage over holiday. We dubbed him the Hub fairy.

"Conrad's Empty Room"?

Comment by Mimi (not verified) Tue, 10/13/2009 - 17:58

Did Conrad move out?

Na, I was just gone for a

Comment by conrad Tue, 10/13/2009 - 19:00

Na, I was just gone for a couple (read: five) weeks. In my stay it would seem John repurposed my room, haha. It was nice tho! He had my desk all set up (the old kitchen table) and he even set up my second monitor for me!

In conclusion: these kids couldn't get rid of me that easily. XD

...

Comment by Steve (not verified) Tue, 10/13/2009 - 20:39

...says the person who is leaving for another week and a half on friday! >:O

I did that at a friend's

Comment by Ellen (not verified) Tue, 10/13/2009 - 18:17

I did that at a friend's house because I felt bad that his mother was going to come home to a dirty kitchen.

He was not happy since it made his mother suspicious and he told me he wanted to keep her standards for him very low.

I never did it again.

o-HO!

Comment by Steve (not verified) Tue, 10/13/2009 - 20:40

Lo, this was the exact reason that it was found out by my parents that I had had a party at the house in their absence. True story.

That's me at my friend's

Comment by Tine (not verified) Tue, 10/13/2009 - 18:20

That's me at my friend's house. Whenever she has me over, I do all the dishes, tidy and organize the rooms that i'll spend any time in, and dust as I go along.

... this is probably why she's always having me over.....

but it's ok. I don't mind and I don't feel guilty about making her drive me places and buying me food XD

John, always come over and do their dishes

Comment by Rebecca (not verified) Tue, 10/13/2009 - 19:36

I agree with Robert, John is fantastic Sixth Ranger material.
Or just fantastic?
Also, that lightning-bolt stripe behind him is *perfect* :)

Hahaha, it cracked me up

Comment by Ananth Wed, 10/14/2009 - 12:53

Hahaha, it cracked me up too.

Yep, guilty.

Comment by Jon (not verified) Tue, 10/13/2009 - 19:38

Hahahahaha, guilty and guilty. Whenever I'm visiting a friend I'll do their dishes if we'd just eaten a meal. Sometimes I wait until they're preoccupied and don't notice me doing the dishes until it's too late.

Ooooh my god. That second

Comment by Ashiru (not verified) Tue, 10/13/2009 - 20:31

Ooooh my god. That second panel made my day. XDDD

I love John. <3 The comic

Comment by Ruzzy (not verified) Tue, 10/13/2009 - 21:14

I love John. <3

The comic looks real clean this time around! (John didn't overdo things, did he? :o)

Neat-o!

Comment by iamded (not verified) Tue, 10/13/2009 - 21:58

Great one guys! Always a pleasure to see a new Johnny Wander comic. :D

The Maw figure looks fantastic! Really great. I attempted to make one in the game Spore (as I put all my life's talent points into "Video Games".. ;) ) which I think turned out alright. I hope that's okay, I specifically referred to it as "Johnny Wander's Maw demon". I hope that's alright.

XD

Comment by SgtDC (not verified) Tue, 10/13/2009 - 22:28

I don't think I've ever laughed as hard at a comic panel with one word in it. Kudo's to Yuko for getting John's face perfect.

chyeah...

Comment by yraelis (not verified) Tue, 10/13/2009 - 23:33

I definitely can empathize with both the guilty party and the dishwasher. D: But then I realized that the conversations that you can have while doing dishes is somehow much more interesting than normal ones.

Moral: ta-Talk to John while he's washing? Or would he be all growly "NO" again? (Suddenly I feel this is a very risky venture).

*scrub scrub*

Comment by Kevin (not verified) Tue, 10/13/2009 - 23:36

"NO. >:[" *scrub scrub*

Haha, what a character! I love it! :D

Uhhh....John.

Comment by Temporary (not verified) Wed, 10/14/2009 - 00:36

Would you mind coming over here and do my dishes?

No wait...

Comment by John Kelly (not verified) Wed, 10/14/2009 - 00:42

I have to do the dishes, it's this focal practice thing for me, I get in a weird zone when I clean things.

In conclusion, I'm not going to stop coming to your apartment and doing all the dishes before everyone wakes up.

Wait... wut?

Comment by Brian (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 00:02

You go in before they wake up?

I smell a spin-off...

Comment by Steve (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 01:48

John Kelly: Household Chore Assassin

Aw yeah

Comment by Brian (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 11:00

I would watch/read the hell outta that.

Design

Comment by Softspoken (not verified) Wed, 10/14/2009 - 00:59

I like the design as it is, but it's your website to design. And, you may come up with something I really love!

Also, the action line behind John's head is awesome. Has a real SHIIIING feel to it, like he just whipped out a sword or something.

Does that make any sense?

It's not just a redesign if

Comment by conrad Wed, 10/14/2009 - 01:39

It's not just a redesign if I have to migrate us to Drupal6 in the process!

Blargle blargle data migration ...

Ack, sorry!! It is a

Comment by Ananth Thu, 10/15/2009 - 11:11

Ack, sorry!! It is a re-implementation!

John's eyes

Comment by Virtual Bob (not verified) Wed, 10/14/2009 - 08:47

Soooooooo, when John says "NO!", do his eyes flash and does his voice go all Goa'uld System Lord?

maw figurine

Comment by that guy (not verified) Wed, 10/14/2009 - 11:43

i don't mean to be an asshole here, but i got a few problems with the final maw design. the overall position and shape of it is fine by me (i do find that the head is not as sharp as your drawings make them seem, I'm fine with it though), my main problem with it is the colors. That black is way to blue. It feels so cold and hides a lot of the detail of the sculpt. It should have been in a warmer hue. Also the magenta mouth contrasts way to much with it.

if the colors were fixed i would definitely preorder but not till then.

its also may have been the lighting, if so i retract my statement.

otherwise, thanks for the awesome comics!

Paint-By-Mawmbers

Comment by Softspoken (not verified) Wed, 10/14/2009 - 15:09

This makes me think it would be fun to get a maw and paint it random crazyness every few weeks, so it was always changing colours. Like a molting figurine or something.

The black was actually way

Comment by Ananth Thu, 10/15/2009 - 11:14

The black was actually way bluer before ... we picked a pantone, which means that it's likely the photo (or your monitor) are showing things much bluer. The mouth is to spec - it looks like Yuko's illustration in the original concept, as far as I can see.

Thank you for reading! :D

Scaryface

Comment by Razor (not verified) Wed, 10/14/2009 - 12:29

You know, when he looks like that, I'd just let him do the dishes and back away slowly...

He's Just Making Sure Your Dishes Don't Become Sentient

Comment by McClaud (not verified) Wed, 10/14/2009 - 15:26

I sense John has OCD about stopping your dirty dishes from taking over the world some day.

You should probably check to see if he knows something you DON'T about the future.

Another spin-off pitch

Comment by Steve (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 01:51

John Kelly: OCD Anti-Chore Taskforce

This is the funniest thing

Comment by mya (not verified) Wed, 10/14/2009 - 20:06

This is the funniest thing I've read all day. Thanks I needed that! :-)