PaleontoLOLgy

PaleontoLOLgy

Thu, 10/15/2009 - 14:53 by Ananth in response to paleontoLOLgy

Read the alt text, hahahaha. Oh Yuko.

Our word game escalated ... Yuko and I both grew up devouring anything we could read about prehistory, so our vocabularies on that point are pretty good (although Yuko is the undisputed champ). Here's a breakdown of the animals we're actually referring to, for your convenience (from beginning to end):

Leviathan doesn't count. ): I used to have the whole Dinosaurs collection of Zoobooks, which was one of the best investments my parents ever made on my behalf. I could recite those things word for word all the way into high school, and they developed an interest in science that I'm still gripped by. Ah, science.

Anyway, thanks for enduring our inner nerd for one (every) comic.

Maw figurine preorders end on the 25th! If you want 'em, snag 'em before then. There is nothing scientific about them ... yet. I hear gene-splicing is coming along nicely!

Comments

Walking Coat Rack

Comment by Aido Thu, 10/15/2009 - 14:57

Megaloceros will always have a place in my heart for being Possibly The Stupidest Concept For An Animal To Grace God's Green Earth.

I feel badly that I sometimes interchange Megalodon and Megaloceros.  THEIR NAMES LOOK AWFULLY SIMILAR I CAN'T BE ENTIRELY TO BLAME

I smell another t-shirt...

Comment by Joe D. (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 14:58

It's my fervent belief that lols make everything in life better. Not that dinosaurs needed it, really. But... a VeLOLciraptor? That's the type of thing can can bring about world peace, right there.

!

Comment by b4k4 (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 15:08

You sir, are a genius, VeLOLciraptors could solve all the world's problems. Maybe XKCD could do a tie in.

...

Comment by Joe D (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 16:16

So much of a genius that I added an extra "can" in my post.

...VeLOLciraptors... doing the can-can.... BRILLIANT!

eheheh

Comment by b4k4 (not verified) Sun, 10/18/2009 - 08:44

I didn't even notice that

Well they say that geniuses are supposed to be a bit eccentric, right?

I would buy a shirt based on

Comment by Phoenix (not verified) Fri, 10/16/2009 - 01:21

I would buy a shirt based on this comic in a heartbeat. I already have the ZooLOLogy one, but I would gladly shell out again for this one.

The names are... perfect.

Awww....

Comment by b4k4 (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 15:07

This may just be my love of mythology, but the concept of a LOLviathan makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

no room for ...

Comment by DisposablePal (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 15:16

...a pterLoLdactyl? ok its lame.

Hah! I spent a while on that

Comment by Ananth Fri, 10/16/2009 - 11:06

Hah! I spent a while on that one. The ones I really wanted but couldn't get are,

Pterodactyl
Stegosaurus
Triceratops
Tyrannosaurus

They're the classics, but it was a little too clunky to add LOLs to them!

"PterodactLOL"? That sounds

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sun, 10/18/2009 - 02:55

"PterodactLOL"?

That sounds pretty clunky, I'll admit.

I'd love to see Yuko's lol

Comment by Kyon (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 15:19

I'd love to see Yuko's lol drawings for these guys. Makes me wonder what other things you can LoL-ify?...

Zoobooks

Comment by OrcishIncubus (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 15:22

I remember growing up wanting those so very bad, my parents never got a subscription for me, unfortunately. I still wish they had. :(

oh and: Megalomaniac:

Comment by OrcishIncubus (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 15:22

oh and: Megalomaniac: MegaLOLmaniac?

WTF

Comment by Steve (not verified) Sat, 10/17/2009 - 03:40

LOL i m gods gift 2 humani-t ROFL OMGHAX

The good thing about adulthood

Comment by Razor (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 16:27

My folks did get me a subscription to Childcraft as a kid (which I still have, they're awesome) but a few years ago I saw the commercial for Zoobooks and thought "Wow, cool!" I realized I can order them...and no one will know I'm keeping them for myself. =D

I bet they're still totally

Comment by Ananth Fri, 10/16/2009 - 13:05

I bet they're still totally worth getting. They always had spreads in the middle of body cutaways featuring muscle, nervous and skeletal systems ... it was really great to look at.

ZOOBOOKS!

Comment by Ellie (not verified) Sat, 10/17/2009 - 11:20

Holy crap, I remember those! I remember reading the elephant issue about 1000 times! Didn't you get keen little trading cards too, and a case to keep them in?

Do they still make educational magazines for kids like that anymore?

AND STICKERS! Came with a

Comment by OrcishIncubus (not verified) Tue, 10/20/2009 - 09:36

AND STICKERS!

Came with a bunch of stickers you could put anywhere, I remember in the commercial some kid was putting it on like a binder and a skateboard.

Quick google brought up:

Comment by OrcishIncubus (not verified) Tue, 10/20/2009 - 09:40

Quick google brought up: http://www.zoobooks.com/

So they have a 0-2 and 2-6 variant now. I may *ahem* "subscribe" my niece and nephew to it... and then uh... "borrow" the magazines when they get em... the tiger cover is so adorable.

Thylacines

Comment by fluffy (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 15:26

I can't really see Thylacines fitting in. Yeah, they're extinct now, but they were still alive recently enough that the last few known ones were captured on motion picture film. I think that immediately disqualifies them as "prehistoric," which thus also excludes them from paleontology pretty much by definition.

Which is a shame because I like thylacines.

yeaah.

Comment by Aido Thu, 10/15/2009 - 16:24

Yeah, Thylacines don't work at all, they just have a crazy dinosaur-like name.  I said it and for the life of me I couldn't put an animal to the word.  It really is too bad that they're extinct, they were pretty rad animals.

We were just grasping for straws at the end there.  It's HARD to remember dinosaur names!

Dino-lols.

Comment by mylemonblue (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 15:48

I love your dino-lols. I think you guys are hilarious with that stuff. ^____^

my two pennies

Comment by Joe A. (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 16:02

PachycephaLOLsaurus
LOLmbeosaurus
TriLOLbite

Try as I might, I can't lolificate (lollify? lollerize?) Compsognathus.

AAA PERFECT

Comment by Aido Thu, 10/15/2009 - 16:27

TRILOLBITE!!

WHY DIDN'T WE THINK OF THAT ONE

AAAGG THAT'S SO GOOD

How's about...

Comment by Matt B. (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 16:40

LOLmpsognathus?

Valiant effort

Comment by Joe A. (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 22:43

See, I thought of that, but it just didn't go too well with the whole "replacing the syllable it sounds like" thing.

CompsLOLgnathus sounds sorta better, but it's pushing it.

Damn, TriLOLbite IS good! We

Comment by Ananth Fri, 10/16/2009 - 13:06

Damn, TriLOLbite IS good! We may, uh, borrow that ...

You say borrow, I hear gank

Comment by mouse (not verified) Fri, 10/16/2009 - 23:20

You say borrow, I hear gank :-P

x3

Comment by KaT Adams (not verified) Sat, 10/17/2009 - 22:55

I LOVE Pachycephalasaurus! I'm so glad I'm not the only one!

*Internet Hugs!*

Up With Nerds

Comment by Razor (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 16:21

You know, this world owes a lot to nerds.

Just sayin'. *g*

This strip makes me feel dumb

Comment by Matt (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 17:48

I always thought Ankylosaurus as spelled AnkLyosaurus. I've been saying it that way for years.

Don't feel bad

Comment by Joe (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 19:02

It took until the second season of Digimon for me to get the pronunciation right. It is a tricky name, you are not alone.

I almost mispelled it while

Comment by Ananth Thu, 10/15/2009 - 22:41

I almost mispelled it while writing the script and later writing this post. It is totally tricky!

incorrect field

Comment by George (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 17:58

Assuming the Leviathan is still alive today, it would go under marinebiLOLogy.

also, coLOLssosaurus, phyLoldon, smiLOLdon, and the king...

ROFLOLdon (rophalodon)

did you forget...

Comment by joshjoshlol (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 18:11

DiLOLphosaurus? come on guys, this is Jurassic Park 101 here.

you guys are huge nerds, or

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 18:30

you guys are huge nerds, or im a giant moron (lets go with the latter) - because i dont know most of those dinosaurs D:

We are huge nerds ):

Comment by Ananth Fri, 10/16/2009 - 10:51

We are huge nerds ):

*puts her hands up*

Comment by Ceylon (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 18:31

ParasauroLOLphus, too! My favorite since I was a kid. ^_^

That, you need to make a

Comment by ~L.K. (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 18:38

That, you need to make a shirt out of. As an aspiring paleontoLOLogist, I would need one of these.

Maybe there's a trend on

Comment by Robert V Aldrich (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 19:22

Maybe there's a trend on here I'm not seeing (like referencing extinct and not fictional animals), but why doesn't LoLviathan doesn't count? In a cage match, he'd totaLoLy win.

Most of them are

Comment by Ananth Thu, 10/15/2009 - 22:42

Most of them are prehistoric, except for Thylacine and Leviathan. Leviathan is not an actual species, though!

UtahROTFLr ( dang, that's lame )

Comment by Sobek.Star (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 20:29

If there is a PaleontoLOLgy shirt, I will buy that in a heartbeat. Faster than a heartbeat, if possible.
Maybe even more than one! So large is my love of silly dinosaur shirts.

Haha, cooool. There seems to

Comment by Ananth Fri, 10/16/2009 - 13:08

Haha, cooool. There seems to be an interest, so we're looking into it. We might do something special for this one, too ... we'll see. :)

I've been reading for a long

Comment by Raven (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 20:40

I've been reading for a long while now. The humor that you and your friends share makes me wish I knew people like you in my day to day life. Keep on, wordsmiths, keep on. :)

And, if you ever plan on attending Dragon*Con here in Atlanta, please, let me know. I work staff, and I'd love to show you all around. :)

Oh, we'll definitely let

Comment by Ananth Fri, 10/16/2009 - 13:14

Oh, we'll definitely let you know! I've only heard good things. :)

...bliss!

Comment by Novarri (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 20:47

This absolutely made my day and then some. I'm a dinosaur nerd, so next to gonta freaking out and the girl with the skeleton hand, this has to rank as one of my favorites!

You could always go with myths & legends, like ApLOLlo. That way, LOLviathan would count! (Okay I actually don't know anything about the leviathan but maybe?)

Aaaah Dinosaurs!

Comment by William Righetti (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 21:55

Big dinosaur freak when I was a little kid. I actually wanted to become a paleontologist (or is it paleonto"lol"gist?) for a good chunk of my childhood so I could go and spend hours in the desert digging up dinosaur bones. Probably a good thing I'm going more the acting, musician writer route. I would have died of thirst in those Badlands.

D:

Comment by eagle (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 22:01

I think my brain farted because it ignored the whole dinosaur/big beast theme when I saw Leviathan and it instead conjured up Thomas Hobbes...damned English philosophers!

My first thought...