PaleontoLOLgy

PaleontoLOLgy

Thu, 10/15/2009 - 14:53 by Ananth in response to paleontoLOLgy

Read the alt text, hahahaha. Oh Yuko.

Our word game escalated ... Yuko and I both grew up devouring anything we could read about prehistory, so our vocabularies on that point are pretty good (although Yuko is the undisputed champ). Here's a breakdown of the animals we're actually referring to, for your convenience (from beginning to end):

Leviathan doesn't count. ): I used to have the whole Dinosaurs collection of Zoobooks, which was one of the best investments my parents ever made on my behalf. I could recite those things word for word all the way into high school, and they developed an interest in science that I'm still gripped by. Ah, science.

Anyway, thanks for enduring our inner nerd for one (every) comic.

Maw figurine preorders end on the 25th! If you want 'em, snag 'em before then. There is nothing scientific about them ... yet. I hear gene-splicing is coming along nicely!

Comments

Hmmm...

Comment by Joe (not verified) Fri, 10/16/2009 - 19:01

Perhaps a CoeLOLcanth?

tshirt series :D

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 22:40

I would totally by a paleontoLOLogy shirt! I didn't but the zooLOLogy one because I'm arachnophobic and it's got a big spider on it, but I like the idea.

Oh! If we do this one, I

Comment by Ananth Fri, 10/16/2009 - 13:16

Oh! If we do this one, I promise it'll be spider-free. :)

I thought the spider on ZooLOLogy looked rather friendly, but maybe that is part of the problem. ): I'm sorry!

yaaay! I guess the

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 10/17/2009 - 00:15

yaaay! I guess the tarantuLOL is fairly friendly as spiders go, but it's still got too many legs and eyes for me to want it in my tshirt drawer =_=

You guys got me and my

Comment by Captain Sharmie (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 22:40

You guys got me and my roommate playing the word game! My favourite lately has been astroLOLogy, which is so hard to say aloud that i giggle every time i see the word.

(astronLOLomy doesn't work, no matter how hard we try.)

cheers for another awesome comic. :)

I disagree

Comment by Kriztov (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 22:59

I contend that LoLviathan would count. Plus the Leviathan is a kickass mythical animal anyway...

NarLoL

I don't normally comment but

Comment by Eric Metz (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 23:19

I don't normally comment but this comic must be an exception. You guys rock! As a paleontologist at Montana State University (where Jack Horner is) I must thank you for giving us Paleo nerds a new game. Keep up the great work and thanks

Oh wow, that's a real

Comment by Ananth Fri, 10/16/2009 - 13:17

Oh wow, that's a real compliment coming from a paleontologist! Thank you so much!

A followup...I got bored at

Comment by Eric Metz (not verified) Fri, 10/16/2009 - 20:55

A followup...I got bored at lunch...I know its not a true velociraptor but I hope you forgive me :(

Image=win

Comment by KaT Adams (not verified) Sat, 10/17/2009 - 23:01

Image=win

I commend you on getting

Comment by Chris D. (not verified) Sat, 10/17/2009 - 08:08

I commend you on getting into Paleo. That was my weakest subject going through my undergrad. I think it hurt that my teacher was more of a micropaleo focused guy and not into the "cool" fossils.

It's also harder to get the cool fossils :-)

Wow thanks! Its a lot of

Comment by Eric Metz (not verified) Mon, 10/19/2009 - 23:39

Wow thanks! Its a lot of reading science papers and extra time studying things to get the edge on others. If you can get into a museum volunteer group for a prep lab. They love people. That is if you still want to get involved that is.

I'd buy that!

Comment by Cryssi (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 23:20

Honestly, its probably been said a few times now.. but I would buy the dinoLoLs as a shirt! :D!!

It has been, but every

Comment by Ananth Fri, 10/16/2009 - 13:19

It has been, but every request lets us know one more person wants it! Thank you. :) We're considering it.

Then I'll add my two cents!

Comment by KaT Adams (not verified) Sat, 10/17/2009 - 23:02

Then I'll add my two cents! WANT WANT WANT DO WANT!

Ankylosaurus! My favorite

Comment by Haggis (not verified) Thu, 10/15/2009 - 23:46

Ankylosaurus! My favorite dinosaur.

You did miss another favorite of mine. Old bone head: PachycephaLOLsaurus

Oh man, I loved that guy! I

Comment by Ananth Fri, 10/16/2009 - 13:26

Oh man, I loved that guy! I had a little plastic figure as a kid.

More tees ideas? 8D If they

Comment by Kittymaverick (not verified) Fri, 10/16/2009 - 03:34

More tees ideas? 8D
If they were to ever become available, can we have said .....er....diLOLsaurs?...on a massive stampede? (And chasing you guys down?) 8D
...Just a crazy idea XDXD

LOLSAURUSES!!!!

Comment by Mali (not verified) Fri, 10/16/2009 - 04:03

8D OMG I bought the zooLOLogy shirt a while back (thanks for the small note and card by the way :D <3) and I absolutely love it xD

Yuko should definitely make a paleontoLOLogy t-shirt too :D I'd buy!

Thanks for the request!

Comment by Ananth Fri, 10/16/2009 - 13:20

Thanks for the request! We're thinkin' on it. ;)

Oh man! You guys are so

Comment by darrylayo (not verified) Fri, 10/16/2009 - 05:18

Oh man! You guys are so intellectuLOL!

Hahahaha ... oh dude I love

Comment by Ananth Fri, 10/16/2009 - 13:24

Hahahaha ... oh dude I love your newest stuff!! Enemies with Benefits, I just about died.

For me the key is to take

Comment by darrylayo (not verified) Fri, 10/16/2009 - 19:22

For me the key is to take the goofiest ideas and then follow them through to their LOLgical conclusion.

lolsauruses

Comment by t-dev (not verified) Fri, 10/16/2009 - 07:12

There are more suitable Aussie ones then the thylacine. Maybe
Bullolckornis, aka Bullockornis better known as the Demon Duck of Doom, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_duck_of_doom . Or Palolrchestes, aka Palorchestes, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palorchestes .
If you still wanted something similar to the thylacine could have had thylolacoleo or thylacololeo, aka thylacoleo also known as the marsupial lion, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thylacoleo.

I love you guys so much

Comment by Karlee (not verified) Fri, 10/16/2009 - 08:34

I love you guys so much <3

(so... t-shirt?)

Hahaha, man,  lot of

Comment by Ananth Fri, 10/16/2009 - 13:37

Hahaha, man,  lot of requests for this tee! I'm making a note of the request. :)

sooo.....LoLasaurus shirt?

Comment by Jess (not verified) Fri, 10/16/2009 - 09:26

sooo.....LoLasaurus shirt?

We will investigate on your

Comment by Ananth Fri, 10/16/2009 - 13:38

We will investigate on your behalf! :D

You're zoolology has inspired me...

Comment by Josh Gamble (not verified) Fri, 10/16/2009 - 09:58

I think LOLviathin should count. I play this game with my classes too; biLOLogy, phiLOLsophy, piLOLtical science, psychLOLogy, etc, etc.

eLOLsmosaurus?

Comment by James (not verified) Fri, 10/16/2009 - 10:24

eLOLsmosaurus? (Elasmosaurus)

You know... the big honking long-necked sea dinosaur that would fit for Lolviathan...

Or we could mess with the name of the kind of dinosaurs...

PlesiLOLsaurs.

Wouldn't eLMAOsaurus work

Comment by Chris D. (not verified) Sat, 10/17/2009 - 08:11

Wouldn't eLMAOsaurus work too?

So, If You're So Knowledgable About LOLosaurs ...

Comment by McClaud (not verified) Fri, 10/16/2009 - 10:33

Does that make you palentoLOLgists?

Lolviathan totally counts.

Comment by Stephen Kennedy (not verified) Fri, 10/16/2009 - 11:01

Lolviathan totally counts. The word comes from a Biblical description of what is believed to be an aquatic dinosaur.

I see a new T-shirt!!!

Comment by Sally (not verified) Fri, 10/16/2009 - 12:46

Hehe, you guys are awesome. I used to be a dino-freak too. WOO DINOS! *high five*

*HIGH FIVE*

Comment by Ananth Fri, 10/16/2009 - 13:38

*HIGH FIVE*

Mmmmm, Archaelolpteryx is

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 10/16/2009 - 13:12

Mmmmm, Archaelolpteryx is kind of pushing the limit as well...in my own opinion. That's a pretty funny list there though - I was gunna suggest pachycephalolsaurus, but someone beat me to it. Dang!

@McClaud - I think the correct term would rather be PaLOLonLOLOLgists...

...man, it gets dumber the more I look at it. LOL.

Hahaha, until eventually

Comment by Ananth Fri, 10/16/2009 - 13:27

Hahaha, until eventually nothing is left but a LOLOLOLOLOLOList.

LOLOLOLOLOList?

Comment by McClaud (not verified) Fri, 10/16/2009 - 13:58

You're already one of those.

Palolnloligist is impossible to say, let alone remember where the LOLs go.

I prefer mythoLOLogy, myself.

Comment by Nina (not verified) Fri, 10/16/2009 - 14:13

I prefer mythoLOLogy, myself.

Yes, I'm actually studying

Comment by Kriztov (not verified) Sat, 10/17/2009 - 01:06

Yes, I'm actually studying Information TechLOLogy

J.Park

Comment by Nuri (not verified) Sat, 10/17/2009 - 02:52

Aaaaand now I have the urge to read Jurassic Park again.

Love your comic! They have such an understated, amusing tone to them.

lolshirts!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 10/17/2009 - 02:59

Awesome! I would adore a dino t-shirt, and since I'm taking a class in geology (and prehistoric evolution!) the trilolbite would also be superior!

As another random note... Land of Lakes butter at the stores around here, is labeled LOL Butter... I giggle every time I walk down the dairy aisle.

...I was just attempting to

Comment by Xal (not verified) Sat, 10/17/2009 - 19:34

...I was just attempting to write "philology" and "philologist" in a paper some time after reading this and had to double-check to make sure I wasn't spelling it wrong. Durr.

And I immediately thought of

Comment by KaT Adams (not verified) Sat, 10/17/2009 - 23:00

And I immediately thought of four others (two of which were covered in the comments):

Achelolsaurus (Achelousaurus)
Pachycephalolsaurus (Pachycephalosaurus)
Coelolphysis (Coelophysis)
Monololphosaurus (Monolophsaurus)

Though Pachycephalosaurus is still my favorite and I love that awesome dinosaur too much x3

And dangnabbit but my spell check should recognize all recognized dinosaur species as spelled correctly!

Mytholology

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sun, 10/18/2009 - 22:19

Why not have some mytholology? See what you can find. :P

if you make a shirt, the

Comment by Lisa (not verified) Mon, 10/19/2009 - 13:23

if you make a shirt, the poor un-included lolviathan should be in the corner sulking ):

and count me in as another who would buy it!

I had a thought.

Comment by Gleevee (not verified) Mon, 10/19/2009 - 22:27

ParaLOLOLgram! Extend your game into Geometry! And ALL of mathematics!

LOLch Ness Monster er...

Comment by nhaar (not verified) Mon, 10/19/2009 - 22:42

LOLch Ness Monster

er...

It could just be the LOL

Comment by Ananth Tue, 10/20/2009 - 10:34