Diwali

Diwali

Tue, 10/20/2009 - 12:18 by Ananth in response to happy diwali

Diwali was a few days ago (Saturday 10/17 to be exact) so this is a little late, but we did a comic about the Japanese New Year a little while ago and I figured this could be a similar sort of thing! Sorry that it's a wall of text - these things happen sometimes. Diwali actually gets celebrated over the course of several days in India, and it's loud and festive and a lot of fun. And the food! That's my favorite part. Usually my family does something quiet, followed by a big, indulgent dinner - this year we ate chaat papri (my favorite since I was 5) and tikiya chole (possibly one of my Dad's favorites), followed by kheer (one of Yuko's favorites). Definitely one of my favorite days of the year!

Anyway, thanks for letting me blab about my culture for a day! Back to normal on Thursday!

Reminder: The Maw figurine preorders end on the 25th! That's in 5 days!

What else ... oh, last night we hung out with L and Darryl! We talked comics, it was fun. Oh, and we've been watching Dexter! We're partway through Season 3 ... everyone on this show is a basketcase. Only the strongest basketcases can survive!

Comments

What a badass

Comment by Joe D. (not verified) Tue, 10/20/2009 - 12:31

Thanks for the info-comic! I'm all for promoting religious events that celebrate the destruction of demon lords.

Very nice summary! Happy

Comment by Ron Dutt (not verified) Tue, 10/20/2009 - 12:31

Very nice summary! Happy (late) Diwali :)

Thank you!

Comment by Ananth Tue, 10/20/2009 - 12:34

Thank you!

Yay for information!

Comment by yraelis (not verified) Tue, 10/20/2009 - 12:36

A wall of informative text is totally awesome from the Multicultural rangers.

(is there a way to surf through the tags of JW? I feel like I'm failing at the internet at the moment)

Sort of -- if you go to a

Comment by Ananth Tue, 10/20/2009 - 13:06

Sort of -- if you go to a comic that has the tag you want, click it and it'll bring up all other comics with the same tag. A tag search hasn't been implemented yet - we're saving it for JW 2.0. :)

Go Multi-Cultural Squad!

Comment by DisposablePal (not verified) Tue, 10/20/2009 - 12:43

i learned a bit about Diwali from @sukhjit last year http://www.sukhjit.me/post/happy-diwali/ i love learning about new cultural holidays. Got room on the Multi-Cultural Squad for a Puerto Rican? i can share info on my culture and the delicious food :)

Hahaha all are welcome! ;)

Comment by Ananth Tue, 10/20/2009 - 13:06

Hahaha all are welcome! ;)

cool, thanks for the

Comment by Holly (not verified) Tue, 10/20/2009 - 12:46

cool, thanks for the explanation!

That's lovely. :)

Comment by Elizabeth B (not verified) Tue, 10/20/2009 - 12:59

Thank you for the mini-lesson! So is Lakshmi holding the lotus flowers or the lute?

The lotus flowers! Sarasvati

Comment by Ananth Tue, 10/20/2009 - 13:08

The lotus flowers! Sarasvati holds the lute (although it might be a sitar, come to think of it?)

Ah, I've been corrected by

Comment by Ananth Tue, 10/20/2009 - 13:44

Ah, I've been corrected by my parents - Sarasvati holds the Veena!

Veena, check.

Comment by Elizabeth B (not verified) Wed, 10/21/2009 - 00:16

Okay! ^_^

Also: Yep. Dilbert = twat. There, all done now.

JW: not only amusing, but educational as well!

Comment by Chelsea (not verified) Tue, 10/20/2009 - 13:21

Mmmm, I love kheer too!

Memories

Comment by Razor (not verified) Tue, 10/20/2009 - 13:55

...I have never celebrated Diwali myself, but when I was a kid I had a set of books called 'Childcraft' (they came with an encyclopedia set--my parents shelled out the $$$ but it was a good investment). My favorite book was "holidays and customs." I remember a picture of a house fully decked out for Diwali with thousands of those tiny little bowls. It was one of my favorites!

I remember Childcraft,

Comment by RT (Panzer Time!) (not verified) Wed, 10/21/2009 - 20:45

I remember Childcraft, though I'm not supposed to be old enough to. Those things were so freaking cool! I saw a whole set at a used book store this summer, but for some reason I bought manga. I'm an idiot.

Aww!

Comment by Razor (not verified) Thu, 10/22/2009 - 14:06

Nah, your priorities have just shifted slightly =)

I still have mine--some of the entries are no doubt a little outdated but they're still nifty. =D

Happy (belated) Diwali!!! I

Comment by Shashi (not verified) Tue, 10/20/2009 - 14:15

Happy (belated) Diwali!!! I lit candles this year (after 8 years). Couldn't do fireworks though :(

You're kinda wrong :(

Comment by Dilbert (not verified) Tue, 10/20/2009 - 14:32

Sorry to be a jackass, but you are wrong about diwali. What you described was the hindi version of diwali only. Sikhs, Jains, etc etc all have different meanings of diwali. Please when you make a comic like this in the future, don't perpetuate perceived cultural superiority.

Thanks.

What.

Comment by Aido Tue, 10/20/2009 - 14:58

Ananth is talking about his personal experiences with his family celebrating the holiday.

If you want to educate people about different incarnations of a religious holiday, don't make rude Internet Comments about how we're prejudiced against your religion.

Comment by Steve (not verified) Wed, 10/21/2009 - 01:34

I leave Fig Newtons out for Santa.

WHOA DON'T YOU KNOW SANTA

Comment by Matt (not verified) Wed, 10/21/2009 - 12:45

WHOA DON'T YOU KNOW SANTA HATES FIGS?

My father's side of the

Comment by Ananth Tue, 10/20/2009 - 15:00

My father's side of the family is Jain.

Buddy, this is an autobio comic. I tell it like I've lived it. I won't pretend to know the experience of others, and in an autobiographical comic it'd be insulting for me to pretend. Don't presume to know my experience either.

don't perpetuate perceived cultural superiority.

This does make you sound like a jackass, by the way. I get where you're going with it, but you're going after the wrong guy.

Seriously? Seriously.

Comment by ThomasIV (not verified) Tue, 10/20/2009 - 15:01

Here's an idea: Instead of getting all prissy about something that isn't a big deal, why not be friendly? Perhaps something like this: "If you're interested in leading more about Diwali, you might look into its alternate celebrations by Sikhs, Jains, etc. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diwali)" "Sorry to be a jackass" does NOT make it okay. You're still being a jackass, and there's no reason for it. Please take these two chill pills and call in the morning.

Oh, ok.

Comment by SgtDC (not verified) Tue, 10/20/2009 - 19:04

Next time I tell some what a certain tree looks like, I'll make sure to describe all related trees as well, as to not "perpetuate perceived arboreal superiority".

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I'll be more careful in the future. Can't have anything feel inferior because some one doesn't feel it's relevant enough to talk about.

I played Sita

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 10/20/2009 - 14:44

We were studying about india when I was in the third grade and we did a play about Diwali ( The story behind the festival). I got to play Sita. It was sort of embarrassing because I had to play a wife and I was still at the ew boys mind set :D. I enjoyed it, despite that.
And Dilbert is a twat, Ramadan is practiced differently everywhere (the essentials don't change but some practices change from place to place), it doesn't mean each way is wrong. Diwali is the Festival of light meant to celebrate the victory of good over evil. How everyone does it is their business. Happy Diwali

Thank you! And thanks for

Comment by Ananth Tue, 10/20/2009 - 15:05

Thank you! And thanks for chiming in about the parallels with Ramadan -- it is exactly the same. I can only do an autobio comic about my own experience.

Wow, you did a play about Diwali in Third grade?! That's pretty wild.

Multicultural school

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 10/21/2009 - 13:32

We lived in the UAE, it's full of expat kids. I grew up with kids from all over. Between my sister and I, we got a lot of desi and pakistani friends :D We did stuff like that cos we could. International day was the shit at my school...

The text when you hover over

Comment by Kathy (not verified) Tue, 10/20/2009 - 15:02

The text when you hover over the comic says "Yuko has now written more Sanskirt than Ananth".
"Sanskirt"? Totally intentional, right? With the Yuko+Skirts thing? =D

Haaahahaha oh man that is

Comment by Ananth Tue, 10/20/2009 - 15:06

Haaahahaha oh man that is totally a Freudian slip. I fixed it, thanks! It could easily have been intentional, you're right. XD

Holidays are great!

Comment by Nodge (not verified) Tue, 10/20/2009 - 15:31

Holidays mean free food. A friend of mines' grandma made roughly a bajillion portions of aloo paneer to feed 16 people. The upshot is that he gave it out to all his friends and I spent most of Sunday stuffing my face with it.

This was nice, thank you!

Comment by Robyn (not verified) Tue, 10/20/2009 - 16:43

You don't have to thank us for "letting you blab", I thought this and the Japanese New Year comics were delightful! Thanks YOU for sharing. :D

>_>

Comment by coffeeatteatime (not verified) Tue, 10/20/2009 - 17:56

LAKSHMI HAS SO MANY LEGS.

Happy Diwali!

So unexpectedely wonderful!

Comment by wandering.story (not verified) Tue, 10/20/2009 - 18:30

I'm sikh, and I actually celebrated Diwali. This pretty much made my week. Thanks for being such a freaking fantastic webcomic!
:]

-mira~

Agreed

Comment by Kyon (not verified) Tue, 10/20/2009 - 19:10

I wasn't expecting a comic on a culture that is so amazingly cool but I know very little about. It was awesome and educational and now I'm kinda in the mood for some Indian food but Utah has a lack of decent Asian restaurants :(. I wonder if its logical to visit a country just to experience one of its holidays?

It totally is. We're going

Comment by Cheri (not verified) Wed, 10/21/2009 - 07:56

It totally is.
We're going to Mexico for Day of the Dead, so....

There's a good place called

Comment by RT (Panzer Time!) (not verified) Wed, 10/21/2009 - 20:48

There's a good place called Bombay House in Orem/Provo.

Coolness

Comment by Geekyneko (not verified) Tue, 10/20/2009 - 19:03

That is awesome that you guys put this up.

It makes me smile to read something informative, but not all confusing on a religious observance that not everyone knows about.

It's full of awesome, thanks guys!

The figures

Comment by Joe (not verified) Tue, 10/20/2009 - 19:19

So, the figures at the top left, is that how Diwali is written in Sanskrit? That's really pretty.

I was on another messageboard where someone gave a quick rundown about Diwali, and everyone was like "WHAT. I WANT TO CELEBRATE THAT." It sounds like an awesome festival.

Actually...

Comment by ladymercury (not verified) Wed, 10/21/2009 - 05:18

...that's 'Diwali' written in Devnagri Hindi... which originated from Sanskrit! :D

Hey Ananth, didn't you guys set off fireworks? We don't celebrate the religious bit of Diwali, but man, the fireworks make my night!.. and the next night, and the next...

And Dilbert or whatever his name is was probably talking about Kali Puja (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kali_puja), which is something Bengalis (like me!) celebrate as opposed to Diwali... and the second day of Diwali is Bhai Phonta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhai_phota) which is a brother-sister ceremony involving food and blessings and exchange of presents =)... so there you go, fair and unbiased representation of religions, deal? :S

We didn't because we're in

Comment by Ananth Wed, 10/21/2009 - 12:18

We didn't because we're in the middle of New York, but in the past in MD we did it from time to time.

Deal. Thank you! I was aware of the Kali Puja, but not the other one ... the problem with having so many cultures and traditions crammed into one continent is that it's sometimes tough to know 'em all. XD And like I said ... when talking of personal experience, I can really only touch on my own. ;)

Diwali in New York City

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 10/21/2009 - 13:12

With all the Diwali celebrations going on in Queens, NY (and yes, Queens IS part of New York City), weren't there any fireworks? I know there were tons of parades and other outdoor celebrations!

Thanks for this! We live on

Comment by yea, I'm saying where I live so... (not verified) Tue, 10/20/2009 - 21:18

Thanks for this! We live on the India Square portion of Jersey City's Newark Av.- which was shut down for the Diwali party. :D (It's supposed to be the biggest party in the area).

Yay!

Oh wow! I've never done a

Comment by Ananth Wed, 10/21/2009 - 12:19

Oh wow! I've never done a big Diwali celebration with lots of people ... maybe I'll check it out next year.

Or take the subway to

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 10/22/2009 - 01:16

Or take the subway to Queens!
There was a celebration in the Botanical Gardens, as well as parades in Jamaica and in the Ind-Carri bean neighborhood in Richmond Hills, and about a dozen others.

Ananth- I was wondering if

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 10/20/2009 - 21:21

Ananth- I was wondering if you were in India ever during Diwali. You missed the most awesome part of Diwali - the fireworks - did you forget that or not know about it :P?

I've never done it! :/ It

Comment by Ananth Wed, 10/21/2009 - 12:22

I've never done it! :/ It always fell during the school year, and then later during work ... tough to get time off. I know of the celebrations through my cousins, but my Diwalis have always been relatively quiet, family affairs. Thus, fireworks were never a huge part of it ... although I am seeing that I will have to correct that next year!!

Lakshmi, Ganesh, and Sarasvati

Comment by Lara (not verified) Tue, 10/20/2009 - 21:23

I have a very beautiful and colorful picture of those three gods sitting like you drew them on the wall in my bedroom.

Happy belated Diwali. :)

Yay~ I learnt something

Comment by Karlee (not verified) Wed, 10/21/2009 - 00:13

Yay~ I learnt something ^____^
Happy belated Diwali!

These cultural info comics are actually really lovely :)

Cooool

Comment by AshleeS (not verified) Wed, 10/21/2009 - 01:12

Whoa, that Dilbert guy is a twat. =^U

Despite your perpetuated cultural superiority (or rather, talking about your religious experiences instead of his like a normal person does), this little comic page is really interesting--I honestly know nothing about religions outside of my own, so it's refreshing to see everyone else's from time to time.

The more you know!