Diwali

Diwali

Tue, 10/20/2009 - 12:18 by Ananth in response to happy diwali

Diwali was a few days ago (Saturday 10/17 to be exact) so this is a little late, but we did a comic about the Japanese New Year a little while ago and I figured this could be a similar sort of thing! Sorry that it's a wall of text - these things happen sometimes. Diwali actually gets celebrated over the course of several days in India, and it's loud and festive and a lot of fun. And the food! That's my favorite part. Usually my family does something quiet, followed by a big, indulgent dinner - this year we ate chaat papri (my favorite since I was 5) and tikiya chole (possibly one of my Dad's favorites), followed by kheer (one of Yuko's favorites). Definitely one of my favorite days of the year!

Anyway, thanks for letting me blab about my culture for a day! Back to normal on Thursday!

Reminder: The Maw figurine preorders end on the 25th! That's in 5 days!

What else ... oh, last night we hung out with L and Darryl! We talked comics, it was fun. Oh, and we've been watching Dexter! We're partway through Season 3 ... everyone on this show is a basketcase. Only the strongest basketcases can survive!

Comments

Dear Conrad,

Comment by Steve (not verified) Wed, 10/21/2009 - 01:37

When "reply to this comment" is clicked in Firefox, the main text / text boxes are flush with the background border, and there is lack of indentation.

Love, Your Go-To Breaker For All Things Code,
Steve

This comic is so awesome! No

Comment by wickedwif (not verified) Wed, 10/21/2009 - 04:40

This comic is so awesome! No way are you "blabbing" this is totally fantastic! Really informative and interesting. I was sort of surprised there was no joke but then I read the alt text xD
I read the wiki on Diwali for a project a month or so ago and it wasn't very helpful on the actual customs and things, coz it's different everywhere. It's great to read a first-hand experience of it!!! ^_^

Wow.

Comment by F_F (not verified) Wed, 10/21/2009 - 05:13

This is the first webcomic i've read that's, well, done something for Divali/Diwali (Everyone spells it different). It makes me that bit happier. Happy Divali to you, and hope the New Year was just as awesome.

there seems to be something

Comment by Moriarty (not verified) Wed, 10/21/2009 - 07:33

there seems to be something wrong with your comic links,

(the link ananth posted on applegeeks)

shows an empty page, the only way to reach this comic is the main page

Damn! Thank you, I'll look

Comment by Ananth Wed, 10/21/2009 - 12:30

Damn! Thank you, I'll look into it.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Comment by conrad Thu, 10/22/2009 - 13:16

Hey hey.

Tried to reproduce in several browsers, including linking directly, following AG link, etc and couldn't reproduce. It's possible that the site had a brain-fart and the global redirect wasn't working? Sorry, without more info I won't be able to chase this one down. :(

Thanks for the report tho!

Diwali Delicacies

Comment by Virtual Bob (not verified) Wed, 10/21/2009 - 08:50

I really look forward to these different cultural experiences that you so kindly share with us. Growing up as peanut butter and white bread as I did, anything I learned about other cultures was that sanitized caricaturish pap they fed us in grade school. Thank you so much, Yuko & Ananth.
Also, being a bit of a foodie, I love the dishes that get mentioned. I can't wait to try making (and eating) chaat papri. With all those chutneys, it's gotta be a carnival in your mouth.

Carnival in your mouth is

Comment by Ananth Wed, 10/21/2009 - 12:29

Carnival in your mouth is about right -- it's so good. I practically drool every time I think about it.

Happy Belated Diwali

Comment by McClaud (not verified) Wed, 10/21/2009 - 09:35

Have you attended any melas in the past? I went to one with my friend from Jersey awhile ago, and those are a lot of fun.

Jains get to have all the fun.

I haven't! I'll have to

Comment by Ananth Wed, 10/21/2009 - 12:29

I haven't! I'll have to investigate. :D

The Entertainment is Awesome

Comment by McClaud (not verified) Thu, 10/22/2009 - 11:13

Trust me - I wish Christian religious holidays had melas like the ones they have on Diwali.

I've always been fascinated by Indian culture. My Internet friend - Lord Omlette from Omlettesoft - is a second generation Indian America, and he got me into reading about India (and watching Indian movies/music videos).

Not the guy I went to the mela with - he was a military friend.

I went to an arts school a

Comment by Ver (not verified) Wed, 10/21/2009 - 13:22

I went to an arts school a while back, and we performed the Ramayana (the story of how Rama saved Sita). It took SO long to do- we did it over Diwali. I was one of Hanuman's monkeys and I had to build the bridge, as well as one of the musicians (a percussionist).
It was possibly the best experience I had at that school, and I went to an Indian culture store on Shattuck ave in Berkeley so I could get the illustrated children's books of the story.

Huh...

Comment by Red-Rum-18 (not verified) Wed, 10/21/2009 - 13:27

I thought Ananth was latino.

umm...

Comment by Steve (not verified) Wed, 10/21/2009 - 15:05

Ananth isn't a very latino-sounding name... >_>

I love seeing Hindu

Comment by Ib (not verified) Wed, 10/21/2009 - 16:36

I love seeing Hindu swastikas. Like taking a superevil symbol back. I get to see too many of the wrong ones :( Four dots is all it take to make it good again :)

Hahaha, well, the Nazis

Comment by Ananth Wed, 10/21/2009 - 19:16

Hahaha, well, the Nazis stole it and perverted it. It was always a "good" symbol. Damn Nazis.

Swastika

Comment by Wrex (not verified) Wed, 10/21/2009 - 20:33

Ok, I was wondering what that was about. I always heard about the Swastika not being original to the Nazis, but I wasn't sure which culture it came from.

DFTBA!

Hmmm

Comment by AshleeS (not verified) Thu, 10/22/2009 - 03:11

Now, I'm not too keen on this--why did Nazi's take a sign from a group that was clearly not white (which meant, to them, inferior)? I just can't figure that one out. Unless they kept quiet about the fact that Hindu's used it and pretended they made it up...

The swastika has roots in a

Comment by Veronica (not verified) Thu, 10/22/2009 - 11:03

The swastika has roots in a lot of ancient cultures. The Germans were calling back the Vikings with it. The wikipedia article is pretty interesting

this seems cool (sorry if

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 10/21/2009 - 21:08

this seems cool (sorry if the wording is in anyway disrespectful, like, i cant think of anything else to describe it, hahaha) - the art is great (:
take care dudes

Your wording was great, glad

Comment by Ananth Wed, 10/21/2009 - 23:40

Your wording was great, glad you liked it! :D

This was interesting! Thank

Comment by Matt (not verified) Thu, 10/22/2009 - 00:53

This was interesting! Thank you for sharing.

Also, kheer sounds like a mix between rice pudding and lassi. I hate both. XD

ANANTH PLEASE MAKE SOMETHING

Comment by The Nemo (not verified) Fri, 10/23/2009 - 07:01

ANANTH PLEASE MAKE SOMETHING LIKE THIS AGAIN WHEN HOLI ROLLS AROUND.

Because more people NEED to know about Holi. Holi is the best holiday in the history of everything and I celebrate it by running around putting colorful stickers on people and they look at me funny because I am a French Canadian white girl but I LOVE HOLI SO MUCH.

*cough* Okay I'm done now.

P.s.: this year I also sort-of celebrated Karwa Chauth and Diwali, inasmuch as an unmarried white girl with 0 knowledge of Puja can celebrate those things xD

The joys of hinduism

Comment by joyvision (not verified) Tue, 10/27/2009 - 22:05

Ah, this takes me back to my youth in India...nice one guys.

My sisters learning

Comment by Koru Paua (not verified) Tue, 03/16/2010 - 16:41

My sisters learning Hindi.
Isn't Ganesha the remover of Obstacles?
Have you read Shadow of the Serpent by Mercedes Lackey?

This makes me want Naan and

Comment by Kuragari (not verified) Thu, 07/08/2010 - 19:17

This makes me want Naan and Curry.

KNEW IT!!!

Comment by R (not verified) Sat, 02/19/2011 - 03:46

From the first time I read your comic, I immediately knew that you are an Indian guy!

Diwali is super cool.

Comment by Fiyenyaa (not verified) Fri, 07/08/2011 - 14:03

I remember we celebrated Diwali in school when I was a kid. Being from Birmingham (UK, not Alabama) is great :D