Protomen!

Protomen!

Tue, 10/27/2009 - 20:58 by Ananth in response to protomen @ trash bar

Our buddy George had clued us in to the Protomen a little while ago, and their music is a lot of fun - to sum up, Megaman Rock Opera. They played two shows last Saturday, one in Manhattan and the other in Brooklyn, and we went to both (Darryl joined us in Brooklyn) - ohhhh man. These guys rocked Manhattan, but they blew the doors off the Brooklyn venue. The drummer, Reanimator, threw his drumstick to George, who caught it - WITH HIS FACE. Awesome.

Afterwards we got to hang out and chat with the band, and they are a (large) bunch of very nice guys and gals! Reanimator went out of his way to help us get the drumstick and the top of the snare signed for Yuko and George  - thanks man!!

There's not a whole lot I can say without sounding like a huge nerd, but check out their albums (Act II just came out) and if they sail through your town, go see them! You won't be disappointed.

Also, some new things in the store -- stickers and buttons! Take a look:

Comments

Lol

Comment by Emily (not verified) Tue, 10/27/2009 - 21:09

I thought it was asparagus at first.

*cough cough*

Comment by conrad Tue, 10/27/2009 - 21:10

So did Rachelle!

Of course, as a seasoned veteran of Rock Band, I knew it was a drumstick.

IT'S ALL ANYONE CAN SEE

Comment by Aido Tue, 10/27/2009 - 21:13

dammit, now it's all I can see

THANKS FOR RUINING MY COMIC, GUYS

=__=

Comment by Aido Tue, 10/27/2009 - 21:52

Okay, reload it.  It should be a little more readable now.

I dissapoint

Comment by Emily (not verified) Wed, 10/28/2009 - 19:00

Sorry Yuko. :( It was clearly a drumstick when I looked at it a second time, ok? And I had just woken up when I thought it was asparagus!

D:

Comment by Aido Thu, 10/29/2009 - 14:18

Oh no no, don't worry about it!  Thanks for the heads up, it's something I should've realized when I was drawing it.  XD  Sorry if I sounded blunt when I commented, I hadn't left the drawing desk in about 8 hours at that point-- I had a deadline that day. D:

Iiiiiii totally thought it

Comment by Seanan (not verified) Sat, 11/21/2009 - 23:45

Iiiiiii totally thought it was an asparagus too XD I was so confused...

Lucky Bastards...

Comment by Mr. H (not verified) Tue, 10/27/2009 - 21:13

Lucky bastards getting to see The Protomen. FL sucks.

ahahahahAHAHAHAHA

Comment by Rose (not verified) Tue, 10/27/2009 - 21:15

You know you rock pretty hard when you can take a drumstick to the face and not fuss about it.
Then again, concerts are like that.

True Story: I remember being a mosh pit, elbowed some guy in the stomach and... didn't try and kill me. Actually he complimented me on how hard I hit him (mind you, it was by accident, I swear!) And so he offered to lift me up to go crowd surfing.

Best. Ever. (Minus people groping my ass)

Baw

Comment by Ashley (not verified) Tue, 10/27/2009 - 21:15

Man oh man, I'd totally buy those epic pins and a lology shirt from your store if I had a pay pal or something. I can only ever buy things via snail mail ;3;

And DUDE, this makes me want to go to a concert. I've never been to one before.

It's fun, but definitely go

Comment by Ananth Tue, 10/27/2009 - 21:33

It's fun, but definitely go with friends the first time you go! It's always more fun that way, and hopefully one of your friends knows how the navigate the odd quirks of concert etiquette.

I believe you can also pay with credit card, but sadly it's tough for us to handle the snail mail option ... sorry!

@__@

Comment by Ashley (not verified) Wed, 10/28/2009 - 16:27

Oh gosh, I wouldn't imagine going to a concert alone! xD I've heard many stories, alot of the best from being with friends!

And that's ok, lol. I'll just wait untill you have even EPICER stuff in yer shoppe and hopefully I'll be able to buy something by then.

Looks like loads of wicked

Comment by Kyon (not verified) Tue, 10/27/2009 - 21:17

Looks like loads of wicked fun. definitely going to check out the band. "Megaman Rock Opera" is by far the coolest description for a band I've ever heard.

Ffft. Totally thought it was

Comment by Brax (not verified) Tue, 10/27/2009 - 21:17

Ffft. Totally thought it was an asparagus too. (I was going 'lolwut?' until I read it again.)

Still. Awesomesauce. :D

Haha! Yuko edited it, it

Comment by Ananth Wed, 10/28/2009 - 13:17

Haha! Yuko edited it, it should look more like a drumstick now!

Dude.

Comment by Joe Fox (not verified) Tue, 10/27/2009 - 21:22

That sticker with the Johnny Wander coat-of-arms? Totally sweet.

It's always funny to see things like this happen at concerts - I remember my first one, I somehow got into a mosh pit at one point (at a Modest Mouse concert, nonetheless, so I was doubly confused), and all I see are people whackin' each other and grinning like idiots. Concerts are fantastic that way.

This comic just got even

Comment by Trajan (not verified) Tue, 10/27/2009 - 21:25

This comic just got even more awesome after talking about the protomen.

They are bad-ass! I spent

Comment by Ananth Tue, 10/27/2009 - 21:34

They are bad-ass! I spent the morning listening to Act II while I worked.

Cutting it close ;)

Comment by Joe D (not verified) Tue, 10/27/2009 - 21:35

The Protomen are pretty good, but I prefer Crash and the Boys.

Crash? AND the boys? God I

Comment by Anon.E.Moose (not verified) Wed, 10/28/2009 - 18:31

Crash? AND the boys? God I hate those guys.

XD

Ow.

Comment by Gleeeeeeeeeevee (not verified) Tue, 10/27/2009 - 21:41

I've had that happen to a friend of mine.

Needless to say he was fine.

Still haveta lol.

@Mr. H They were in Florida

Comment by Sniper Joe (not verified) Tue, 10/27/2009 - 21:48

@Mr. H They were in Florida in July for Nerdapalooza...which I missed because I was in freakin' Kansas at the time! @#&$!%

When Act II came out it was all I listened to for days. Then I'd play Act I (which some people are calling The Sons of Fate now) and then Act II back to back. Whenever they come up on shuffle I have to go ahead and listen most of the album.

Well...

Comment by Mr. H (not verified) Tue, 10/27/2009 - 22:04

...I actually know who they are now. That information was useless back then. I just want to see them some time, their music is amazing.

SOOO JEALOUS!

Comment by DisposablePal (not verified) Tue, 10/27/2009 - 21:51

the Protomen are badass, i missed them here in Baltimore on Thursday. Hope George didnt get hurt too bad, i'd consider it an honor to be smacked in the face by that drumstick, i've had Act 2 on repeat on my ipod for the last week.

I love the Protomen. Nice

Comment by ClayFox (not verified) Tue, 10/27/2009 - 22:05

I love the Protomen. Nice catch, George.

HAHA, awesome. That happened

Comment by Jade (not verified) Tue, 10/27/2009 - 22:17

HAHA, awesome. That happened to me ALMOST when I went to see this band, The Octopus Project. The drummer threw his drumsticks to the side at the end, and the venue we were at had this loft area next to the stage and I was sitting there. And one drumstick went flying AT MY FACE, but cracked against a wooden ridge inches from my face. o_o It landed on the stage, but in a random string of luck at the end of the concert, I ended up getting it.

IT IS A TROPHY OF NEAR EYE-GAUGING. AWESOME. *fistpump*

The best kind!!

Comment by Ananth Wed, 10/28/2009 - 13:19

The best kind!!

Kekekeke

Comment by Ky (not verified) Tue, 10/27/2009 - 22:24

They're from my hometown~! (Nashville TN) o3o So they're here lots o'course.

...Not that...I've gotten the chance to see them yet or anything. ._. (All my friends have, boooo)

Btw, I am probably gonna get those pins and stickers.
Buttons and the like will empty my pockets in no time.

I'm soooo jealous!!!

Comment by Nor (not verified) Tue, 10/27/2009 - 22:39

I'm soooo jealous!!! Protomen rock! Hopefully George's face is okay =\ And lovely comic, as always :)

My Face is as Fine as It will Ever Be

Comment by George Rohac (not verified) Wed, 10/28/2009 - 12:24

My face is fine.

Reanimator felt super bad. Apparently he had signaled to me that he was going to throw me his stick and I missed it entirely. BUT after it whacked my face Ananth got it so they now have that signed by the band and I have a sweet snare drum. I'll try to get Yuko and Ananth to upload pics of it.

not to the face persay...

Comment by kaiofthedragons (not verified) Tue, 10/27/2009 - 22:45

but I've gotten some drumstick from darkest of the hillside thickets after their drummer chucked em, he shorted it and it didn't leave the stage, fortunately I have stretchy arms!

hey, a question on the new maw stickers, they are stickers, clear vinyl? is that the reusable type that can be applied and reapplied to glass? sorry if it's a dumb question

Re: Stickers

Comment by Aido Wed, 10/28/2009 - 10:18

They're not static cling stickers, they're regular sticky stickers.  They CAN be applied to glass, though!  Just not RE-applied.

unrelated to above

Comment by Cass (not verified) Tue, 10/27/2009 - 23:32

I looooove my zoolology tee! I somehow accidentally bought two of them, but I'm totally okay with that. The people I see every day now get to experience the awesomeness of that shirt twice as often. I have gotten so many compliments on it!

So glad you like it! :D

Comment by Ananth Wed, 10/28/2009 - 13:20

So glad you like it! :D

I need to give protomen a

Comment by Spizzy (not verified) Tue, 10/27/2009 - 23:34

I need to give protomen a listen. I'm more a megaman X person but so long as it's the same sort of thing I'm sure I can appreciate old school megaman too.

I had a similar thing happen to me at an avenged sevenfold concert XD One of the opening bands threw their drumstick (I think it was BlackTide or something) and it hit me in the head, and I caught it at the same time some big tough guy did, but he let me have it. Unfortunately I left it in my room at my parent's house that my brother decided would be a good place to let his friends practice their crappy band. At some point they assumed it was one of their sticks and not an autographed piece of MY MEMORIES, used it, broke it, and threw it out. God I was so mad at him. TREASURE YOUR CONCERT MEMORIES, KEEP IT SAFE FROM DUMB RELATIVES.

I'm also more of a Megaman X

Comment by Ananth Wed, 10/28/2009 - 13:21

I'm also more of a Megaman X person - they use the series as a jumping off point, but their music is definitely their own thing. Give is a listen and you'll see what I mean.

Sorry to hear about your drumstick D: Not cool!!

haha, thanks for this comic.

Comment by william (not verified) Tue, 10/27/2009 - 23:41

haha, thanks for this comic. i've really enjoyed what you all have done so far, but i'm tickled enough tonight (or at least have enough beer in my system) to comment. keep up the good work. i hope the stick has been kept.

Hah, thanks! The stick rests

Comment by Ananth Wed, 10/28/2009 - 13:22

Hah, thanks! The stick rests atop the whiteboard where we keep our tasks listed. :)

You know you're just that

Comment by A.L. (not verified) Wed, 10/28/2009 - 00:17

You know you're just that metal when you catch a drumstick with your face.George didn't seem to mind it in the slightest either xD.Also,it seems like ALOT of webcomic artists talk about the Protomen,so I'm going to take it as a cue to finally go listen to some of their stuff.

George is secretly possibly

Comment by Ananth Wed, 10/28/2009 - 13:24

George is secretly possibly the most metal guy I know! He, uh, just doesn't listen to a lot of it.

Harumph

Comment by Salome (not verified) Wed, 10/28/2009 - 00:31

I missed them... And I live in Nashville.
So I missed them multiple times.
I AM SO ASHAMED.

.... Nnnnnn, time to go to bed.
Angsty whining makes me tired.

Super swell that you guys had fun at the show.

All I feel is ENVY.

Comment by Cody (not verified) Wed, 10/28/2009 - 00:38

Argh, I love the Protomen! I was in Japan when their 2nd album came out: spent far too long looking at my iPod and thinking about that Protomen CD sitting in a large stack of mail on my desk.

A pity they likely won't be swinging by Vancouver, Canada anytime soon. They must be awesome in concert!

Also, nice touch, the 'Light

Comment by Cody (not verified) Wed, 10/28/2009 - 00:43

Also, nice touch, the 'Light Up The Night' lyrics in the background there. When I first saw the sample for the song on their site (http://www.protomen.com/lightupthenight/) I had it on solid loop for over an hour.

oh.

Comment by louie (not verified) Wed, 10/28/2009 - 00:47

oh man. oh god. oh man oh god oh man oh god.
that's pretty sweet.

oh man it totally was!!

Comment by Ananth Wed, 10/28/2009 - 13:25

oh man it totally was!!

Haha, Thanks so much. I've

Comment by Thirteen (not verified) Wed, 10/28/2009 - 02:06

Haha, Thanks so much.

I've been sheltered for so long... after the first listen, I immediately bought both albums. It's geektastic~

I fukken love the Protomen!

Comment by Yakui (not verified) Wed, 10/28/2009 - 02:39

I fukken love the Protomen! A friend got me into them a year or so back. Man, I would love to see them live. Any photos we could see?

No photos from us, sadly.

Comment by Ananth Wed, 10/28/2009 - 13:26

No photos from us, sadly. :/

I saw them at their Act II

Comment by Wolff (not verified) Wed, 10/28/2009 - 04:12

I saw them at their Act II release show on September 25th!! I have the ticket stub safely in my wallet, and pull it out whenever I need to have an awesome moment. The Protomen are beyond awesome! I can't believe Panther voices just about every single character, except for Wily, and Turbo Lover does a great job at doing that!
Reanimator signed my poster! I couldn't get the rest of the band's autographs but I tried hunting them down after the show. It was so crazy! The show was so great! So much fun! I plan on seeing them again and again.

I forgot to add, Panther

Comment by Wolff (not verified) Wed, 10/28/2009 - 04:15

I forgot to add, Panther looks so adorable XD
And I just realized that those were lyrics to Light up the Night!

Nice!

(and that Panther doesn't sing for Emily...The Gambler does...I should learn to proof read my stuff before posting it.)