Protomen!

Protomen!

Tue, 10/27/2009 - 20:58 by Ananth in response to protomen @ trash bar

Our buddy George had clued us in to the Protomen a little while ago, and their music is a lot of fun - to sum up, Megaman Rock Opera. They played two shows last Saturday, one in Manhattan and the other in Brooklyn, and we went to both (Darryl joined us in Brooklyn) - ohhhh man. These guys rocked Manhattan, but they blew the doors off the Brooklyn venue. The drummer, Reanimator, threw his drumstick to George, who caught it - WITH HIS FACE. Awesome.

Afterwards we got to hang out and chat with the band, and they are a (large) bunch of very nice guys and gals! Reanimator went out of his way to help us get the drumstick and the top of the snare signed for Yuko and George  - thanks man!!

There's not a whole lot I can say without sounding like a huge nerd, but check out their albums (Act II just came out) and if they sail through your town, go see them! You won't be disappointed.

Also, some new things in the store -- stickers and buttons! Take a look:

Comments

Effing Awesome

Comment by kaskal (not verified) Wed, 10/28/2009 - 04:13

Gotta love the protomen, gotta say pretty awesome to see your favorite band in comic form.

Bizarre

Comment by Roxanne (not verified) Wed, 10/28/2009 - 05:08

In order, my reactions to this comic were:
"WHAT why did someone from the band throw asparagus off the stage? xD"
"OH. drumstick."

Even when I thought it was asparagus, it was pretty funny. Heh. You can be sure you have a versatile comic.

Posing at concerts

Comment by Peter Hickman (not verified) Wed, 10/28/2009 - 05:32

So does Ananth really just stand there in the crown with his arms folded? Cool, I'm not the only one :)

Indeed!

Comment by Aido Wed, 10/28/2009 - 11:20

Ananth is the Most Serious at shows.  The more he enjoys a show, the less he moves.

Aw dang, you just couldn't

Comment by Ananth Wed, 10/28/2009 - 13:26

Aw dang, you just couldn't see me behind you! I was pumping my fist and everything.

George was definitely not

Comment by darrylayo (not verified) Wed, 10/28/2009 - 05:52

George was definitely not harmed; at that point, he was already at one with the universe.

It was like witnessing a

Comment by Ananth Wed, 10/28/2009 - 13:27

It was like witnessing a karmic singularity.

quite

Comment by Aido Wed, 10/28/2009 - 15:14

I don't think I was able to correctly portray how TOTALLY INTO IT George was with my mere mortal lines.

Drumstick to the Face

Comment by rkalajian (not verified) Wed, 10/28/2009 - 05:53

This exact same thing happened to me at a Godsmack concert back in 2001.

I guess that's one way to

Comment by SarahSongbrd (not verified) Wed, 10/28/2009 - 08:04

I guess that's one way to meet the band... ;)

Hey! I was at the Webster Hall show!

Comment by mordicai (not verified) Wed, 10/28/2009 - 09:10

Hey, I was there! http://mordicai.livejournal.com/1722568.html

I was the tall dude in black at the front throwing his fist up!

Anyhow, I had no idea you guys were there, or I'd totally have said hi.

Nice! I think I remember

Comment by Ananth Wed, 10/28/2009 - 13:27

Nice! I think I remember ya'. Good show!

I'm still wondering if the

Comment by Jake (not verified) Wed, 10/28/2009 - 09:36

I'm still wondering if the reason they got to chat with the band is cus of the cranial injury or because they have a popular webcomic the band knows lol

either WOULD surprise me heh

Hahaha--

Comment by Aido Wed, 10/28/2009 - 11:19

Ahaha, actually, we got to chat with the band because George is a Huge Nerdly Fan and bought the ENTIRE BAND a round of drinks.  There are 10 people in the band!!  Also, George is a guest liaison for a bunch of east coast conventions and is probably getting them at least one gig next year. XD

Naw, the band had no idea who we were.  We ran into some J*W fans, though!  Totally out of the blue, it was bizarre. XD

WITH HIS FACE

Comment by Razor (not verified) Wed, 10/28/2009 - 12:13

Good catch! =D

The drummer ('Reanimator' no less!) looks like Death. =D Or does Death look like HIM? Hmmm...

Glad you guys had fun. I haven't been to a live concert in a loooooong time. Well, I saw the taiko group at Obon, but that's as close as I've gotten to a 'concert'...

It must have been pretty

Comment by Andrew (not verified) Wed, 10/28/2009 - 12:53

It must have been pretty awesome if it doesn't need any alt text. I love Megaman.

>_<

Comment by Aido Wed, 10/28/2009 - 13:10

AW DANGIT!

Okay, I just fixed it.  For some reason, the alt text gets deleted whenever the comic is edited.  I edited and reuploaded the image last night and forgot to reinsert the alt text.  It's there now. =__=

I Saw the Protomen in Concert

Comment by McClaud (not verified) Wed, 10/28/2009 - 12:54

Only the stage was like tiny.

There's what? 10 of them in the band?

Anyway, you can do Protomen comics until you die if you'd like, because they rock SO hard.

Also, BUTTONS!!!! Thank you for such wonderful buttons.

Yeah, they got pretty

Comment by Ananth Wed, 10/28/2009 - 13:28

Yeah, they got pretty cramped! But they make it work, somehow.

Of course! Glad you like the buttons!

GOD DANG

Comment by Jon (not verified) Wed, 10/28/2009 - 14:42

As much as I love your comic I must now hate you for being among the people who have been able to see The Protomen live. I live in Sweden. SWEDEN! ARGHHHH!!!

I actually got to see the

Comment by samuraisc (not verified) Wed, 10/28/2009 - 15:05

I actually got to see the Protomen recently. I got to go to the Act II release show. Had to drive 370 miles to get there, but it was well worth it. They are epically amazing.

thats happened to me before.

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 10/28/2009 - 16:28

thats happened to me before. with a water bottle. still from the drummer though.

OHMYGOD thank you for this

Comment by Nina (not verified) Wed, 10/28/2009 - 17:48

OHMYGOD thank you for this post. "Light Up the Night" is officially my new favorite song. Forever.

I have to say...

Comment by Anon.E.Moose (not verified) Wed, 10/28/2009 - 18:36

I admire Ananth's will to not go totally insane when in the presence of the Protomen. That's like otherworldly zen buddhist calm 0_o.

Haha, naw, I was pumping my

Comment by Ananth Wed, 10/28/2009 - 19:30

Haha, naw, I was pumping my fist and clapping and nodding my head along with the rest - Yuko was just standing ahead of me during the second show!

Ananth's Concert Ettiquite

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 10/28/2009 - 18:40

Mine is about the same. Everyone else yells, hoots and hollers, while I just stand there and look cool, with the occasional clapping of course.

It actually usually works pretty well for me though. Whenever people push to get closer to the front, I somehow make my way up there without really trying. Shook hands with Ryan Ross that way. Concert Times = Fun Times. ;D

That was by me BTW, but I'm

Comment by Samm Neiland (not verified) Wed, 10/28/2009 - 18:58

That was by me BTW, but I'm a moron and forgot to put my name in ._.

Whoa, did this really

Comment by Andrew (not verified) Wed, 10/28/2009 - 22:15

Whoa, did this really happen?
I don't remember seeing a stick flying.

DragonCon girl again. BTW,

Comment by Raven (not verified) Wed, 10/28/2009 - 22:56

DragonCon girl again.

BTW, these guys were supposed to sleep on my living room floor the year they came and played with us... Sadly, they got a hotelroom. :)
SO AWESOME!
I didn't even have to read the paragraph below to know, instantly, who this was about.

The Hounds is now my

Comment by Ted (not verified) Thu, 10/29/2009 - 00:38

The Hounds is now my favorite song ever.

"[Reporters:]
What was her name?

[Albert:]
It doesn't matter.
Now listen...
"The Good Doctor" has to pay!"

Anyways, I woke up this morning, checked Johnny Wander, went hmmm Protomen? Listened to a sample, proceeded to buy their albums and have since been listening to them on loop. :D

Yay for new fun music!

George

Comment by Johnb (not verified) Thu, 10/29/2009 - 02:45

George never says much in the comics and yet he is so hilarious just by sitting there and smiling in situations! I love it!

I knew it wasn't an asparagus...

Comment by Sidka (not verified) Thu, 10/29/2009 - 10:27

But now that I read the comments, I can totally see it. And someone beat me to the 'George is Metal' comment.

My biggest question is: Does Protomen know you guys made a comic about it? I'm kinda picturing them all crowding one computer screen and going, "Oh, I remember that. lol" And reading through the archives.

Awesome

Comment by Zac (not verified) Thu, 10/29/2009 - 11:08

This is the first time something I have done has shown up in a comic. I love the protomen. Though I have heard that there have Been many changes since I saw them like three or four years ago. And a friend of mine actually played in the band for a little while. Don't know if he still does.

I miss awesome nerdy underground shows and shows in general.But yeah; prolly my new favorite, well maybe second favorite. But still. Up there

Chyah

Comment by Nieve (not verified) Thu, 10/29/2009 - 11:59

You lucky, lucky bastards, getting to see the Protomen and all.

Though I wonder why the drummer just felt like pulling an Axl Rose on George. Is it tradition to pelt your fans with musical instruments?

oh, this is cute

Comment by Aria (not verified) Thu, 10/29/2009 - 12:06

i love protomen shows.

funny things always happen.

Awesomesauce.

Comment by Asmoduke (not verified) Thu, 10/29/2009 - 13:02

Thanks for this, (introducing the band an' all) I've been listening to thier first album on Youtube ever since I read this issue! I'm a great fan of your work and Johnny Wander in general and recommend it to everyone. Indeed, I mentioned you on my blog today!
Who knows, ye may find what I write interesting. (In the future anyway, I only started it recently. ¬_¬;)

Still, have fun and keep up the awesomeness!

-Azzy-

This is one of those "Two

Comment by Mad Fnorder (not verified) Thu, 10/29/2009 - 19:08

This is one of those "Two great tastes that go great together" comics. The only question is out of Johnny Wander and the Protomen, which is the peanut butter and which is the chocolate?

Act II?

Comment by chami (not verified) Fri, 10/30/2009 - 14:16

ACT II is out?

Glee! :) My friend turned me on to the Protomen last winter and I've been waiting for the new album. Thanks for the heads-up!

I love all of George's

Comment by Nate (not verified) Sat, 10/31/2009 - 16:37

I love all of George's expressions. They're so hilarious. XD

Speaking of Protomen...

Comment by Aku_San (not verified) Sun, 08/08/2010 - 23:58

Listen to them and read Scott Pilgrim at the same time. Mind=Blown.

I am amaze

Comment by Jaymison (not verified) Mon, 09/06/2010 - 03:19

the fact that I just found out you are fans of the Protomen has made this comic 10x more worth the read.

I am a Warrior of New Orleans.

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 11/03/2010 - 03:27

I went to see the concert in New Orleans. It was fantastic. That was my first experience with the Protomen music and what a way to experience it!!

Life mimicking art

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 11/30/2010 - 14:17

Yours will not be the last face to fall victim to the Reanimator:

I am envious of your

Comment by Kaymonstar (not verified) Fri, 12/31/2010 - 01:52

I am envious of your protoman seeing.

I cant stop listening to them.
Its been almost 2 months straight.
They haven't gotten old yet.