Mugs!

Mugs!

Thu, 11/05/2009 - 16:25 by Ananth in response to everyone needs a hobby

These were the spoils of victory during an otherwise unsuccessful Halloween-costume hunt at the nearby Goodwill. A couple of years ago my buddies and I went as tacky zombies - we found the loudest clothes and then ripped 'em up and poured fake blood all over 'em. I think that might be the only costume the thrift shop was good for ...

Yuko maintains a collection of mugs that she has accumulated through a rigorous and selective process over the course of many years. Not any old mug can make it onto the rack - only the elite of the elite. Take a look:

From left to right,
Row 1: wild strawberry, red queen (the subject of this particular comic), thirty hurts
Row 2: jackalope, white ribbon cat, black ribbon cat, candy canes
Row 3: blue mug, Virgo mug, George's Octopus Pie mug

There are a few missing, but you get the idea. I am actually pretty fond of the mug collection.

The store got a big facelift yesterday! New logo, and most importantly new product photos! Our own photographer/cinematographer John Kelly took the photos on the roof of our building yesterday ... I think the pics for the new tees especially turned out great.

Yuko's lookin' sharp! Oh, I keep forgetting to mention, all tees come with a free Mawzantine Crest sticker - a little thank you for your support. <3 Those of you who already ordered got one too, no worries. And the Fox & Raven and Girl & Cats prints and the Girl with the Skeleton Hand pinset and Mawzantine Crest stickers have been restocked! So you can snag those if you've been waiting - sorry for the delay!

I think that's all for now ... time for us to get back to work! Have a good weekend guys!

Comments

Gotta say guys, the ribbon

Comment by Brian (not verified) Thu, 11/05/2009 - 23:59

Gotta say guys, the ribbon cat mugs are my favorite.

The Virgo Muuuug

Comment by Featherlox (not verified) Fri, 11/06/2009 - 00:03

I have the Gemini and Cancer mugs that go with that collection! :D

!! If you have a moment and

Comment by Ananth Fri, 11/06/2009 - 10:23

!! If you have a moment and are able, could you post some pictures?! It's like hearing about Virgo's long-lost siblings.

w-what about your virgo mug?

Comment by ritsuka (not verified) Fri, 11/06/2009 - 14:44

I was actually going to comment and ask to view the Virgo mug! I find that stuff interesting and have never seen zodiac/birthsign mugs before. *Ahem* I don't think they're stupid...

Thirty Hurts is just hilarious

Yuko's pic.

Comment by Brian (not verified) Fri, 11/06/2009 - 00:16

Judging from the way she draws herself, one would think she doesn't realize how pretty she is. This is actually a good thing, because if she knew, she would likely be insufferably arrogant. :)

amen, brian, it is always

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 11/11/2009 - 15:42

amen, brian, it is always cool to see real pictures of the comic versions. In most cases, the comics are generous :P but not here

AD&D FTW!!

Comment by Carl J (not verified) Fri, 11/06/2009 - 00:55

I've never personally played 1st edition AD&D (joined the PnP scene around 3.5e), but my friend still has his book somewhere. We keep telling ourselves we'll pull it out one day and do a quick dungeon crawl.

D&D

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Mon, 11/09/2009 - 08:57

Nah, brah. If you want to do old school, find a copy of the "Rules Cyclopedia." Back in the day when Elf was a class!

Brian

"A couple of years ago my

Comment by Kathy (not verified) Fri, 11/06/2009 - 03:21

"A couple of years ago my buddies and I went as tacky zombies - we found the loudest clothes and then ripped 'em up and poured fake blood all over 'em. I think that might be the only costume the thrift shop was good for ... "

I was Courtney Love this year and got my clothes from the thrift store and ripped the shirt and skirt some... but same concept :)

ZING!!!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 11/06/2009 - 03:47

ZING!!!

Hahahaha, damn. Well done!

Comment by Ananth Fri, 11/06/2009 - 10:28

Hahahaha, damn. Well done!

Thrity-ness

Comment by A.L. (not verified) Fri, 11/06/2009 - 03:51

We don't have a Goodwill where I live,just a Salvation Army.Instead of having cheap and tacky stuff we have expensive and tacky stuff~bleh.Those mugs are awesome though,I love being able to go to places like that raid them for thing I find on the cheap.That's how I managed to get my PS2 collection so big.

I agree with Brian,Yuko is way cuter than she gives herself credit for.I'm going to do art of you guys at some point when once I get done with my current art project.Also,and I meant to mention this on the last comic,I want that Mawzantine shirt.I love wearing courtly shirts like that,I got a few with heavy graphics on them and there's some more at the store I work at I would like to get when I'm not being broke.

@Kathy-Well Courtney has pretty much looked half-dead most of her life anyway.Drugs will mess you up.

I love Goodwill hunting

Comment by MissKacey (not verified) Fri, 11/06/2009 - 04:42

Check out the LJ community called Thrift_Horrors, it's exactly what it seems. Creepy things people find at the thrift store, and secretly (or sometimes not so secretly) take pics of! Makes me laugh every time!

Also, Yuko is so cute, how could anyone ever think she's a boy!?

Thrift Horror!

Comment by Razor (not verified) Tue, 11/10/2009 - 18:09

LOL I belong to ThriftHorror...man, some of the things on there are really, really scary...like "Why in heaven's name were these things manufactured??" Or the crafts gone awry...can't bring yourself to throw it away because someone made it for you, but you just don't want it anymore...

Goodwill is the bomb.

Comment by Elizabeth B (not verified) Fri, 11/06/2009 - 05:08

THE BOMB. I love it so much, you don't even know.

Also, Yuko is a babe. How could anyone mistake that pretty face for a boy's?

Size?

Comment by Matt Datchuk (not verified) Fri, 11/06/2009 - 05:26

So in reference to the shirts... I'm a 6'2" 165# slim guy. Do the shirts run big? Small? Any info you have to help me decide on size would be great.

Size?

Comment by matt Datchuk (not verified) Fri, 11/06/2009 - 05:27

haha, size chart. IGNORE ME!

Haha, no worries! :)

Comment by Ananth Fri, 11/06/2009 - 10:30

Haha, no worries! :)

A thought

Comment by AtticusVulpes (not verified) Fri, 11/06/2009 - 08:00

I've always wondered why Yuko draws herself with larger glasses than she actually wears. I see the reasoning being for a method of expression. (Which it is quite good for.) Although it does make me wonder. Ananth is pretty much a spot on view while Yuko comes across shorter, nerdier, and cute in the chibi-ish sense.

In short, why the large glasses?

OhhhHhhH

Comment by eagle (not verified) Fri, 11/06/2009 - 08:21

I am so jealous of the diner-style mugs... *_* Alas I am too cheap to buy them online. Perhaps I will wander to the local Goodwill to see if someone in the area was so kind to donate them ESPECIALLY FOR ME.

This is Exactly How it is With Me and My Wife

Comment by McClaud (not verified) Fri, 11/06/2009 - 11:29

We go to Goodwill, I usually find interesting books (I have an entire collection of old TSR RPGs from Goodwill, including Gangbusters) and she finds another weird purse to collect.

I'm totally YES 1st EDITION MM with you. I'm also buying up any Choose Your Own Adventure books that I don't already have at Goodwill. There seems to be a LOT of those floating around, and I think it's blasphemy that people don't save those things for the future generations!!!

I love those chairs. I've

Comment by Jarryd (not verified) Fri, 11/06/2009 - 17:27

I love those chairs. I've always thought "one day i will have a game room with like five of those"
also OMG A COFFEE TABLE!

Also, you guys should update

Comment by Jarryd (not verified) Fri, 11/06/2009 - 18:02

Also, you guys should update the "cast" page on here with the new-ish character sheets.

... ... ... Yuko, the Coffee

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 11/06/2009 - 19:42

...
...
...

Yuko, the Coffee Mug Tsundere.

MUGS YEAH

Comment by Joe Fox (not verified) Fri, 11/06/2009 - 19:46

You can never have enough mugs. More mugs = more tea, and as everyone knows, tea = love. Therefore, more mugs = love. And who doesn't want more love?

Also, how did I miss the Johnny Wander coat-of-arms shirt ffffff want.

I couldn't resist.

Comment by Joe (not verified) Fri, 11/06/2009 - 20:10

Mo' mugs, mo' problems.

Wow

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 11/07/2009 - 18:26

You just captured my love of tea and mugs.... :D

Speaking about mugs...

Comment by Ramiel (not verified) Fri, 11/06/2009 - 21:01

You guys should get those bowl-like mugs, like the ones that have in certain cafes. Aside from the insane amount of coffee one should drink, it's also great to eat cereal out of :D

Oh man

Comment by Joe Fox (not verified) Sun, 11/08/2009 - 03:00

I want one of those kinds of mugs really bad, they're awesome. Just imagine how many marshmallows you could cram in there with hot chocolate!

With that kind of cup...

Comment by Ramiel (not verified) Mon, 11/09/2009 - 13:48

It would be 1/3 hot chocolate, the rest is just small/jumbo marshmallows :P

Actually, that new mug you

Comment by Lizard (not verified) Sun, 11/08/2009 - 02:25

Actually, that new mug you got - the one of the red dressed lady with no head - it's part of a set of three, which is a tea cup with the face, and a plate with the hat on it. I've got all three, and another set of the male one, in black! Hopefully with some luck you'll find the rest in the op shops :) (or even better, the wrong ones so you can have mix-match craziness)

Pictures!

Comment by Shiara (not verified) Sun, 11/08/2009 - 03:46

Pictures!

mugs

Comment by Gutrot (not verified) Sun, 11/08/2009 - 11:46

I happen to have in my possession one of these: http://www.nordicmaid.com/prodimages/small/smshdUDmug.jpg
Albeit mine is severely more warped. It's the only thing I've ever gotten from goodwill.

AD&D Monster Manual

Comment by John Fiala (not verified) Sun, 11/08/2009 - 18:01

That's cool - now you've got me wanting to go to a Goodwill.

Actually, one year I worked in a strip mall that had a Goodwill, and I got quite familiar with their book section. Also got a cool computer bag there that the cat barfed on eventually. :(

lmao! I'm sorry to hear

Comment by ritsuka (not verified) Mon, 11/09/2009 - 13:23

lmao! I'm sorry to hear about that bag but that just made my morning, hahaha.

Yuko's pretty XD

Comment by JT (not verified) Tue, 11/10/2009 - 00:39

Yuko's pretty XD

My stepmom has that candy

Comment by teaaa! (not verified) Tue, 11/10/2009 - 21:30

My stepmom has that candy cane mug, it's the smallest one she has. She collects mugs too, but not normal ones, GIANT MONSTER ONES. Seriously. They're meant to be used for soup, or bathing small children.

LUCKY!!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sun, 11/15/2009 - 12:47

holy.... been awhile since i check on the page n u get a 1st ed. MM on ur hand @_@ wish i had that.

btw, what gonna show on ur next collection other than books n mugs? pillows? xD

Yuko is adorable

Comment by McKavian (not verified) Sat, 07/10/2010 - 14:20

I started reading this comic about 3 days ago. I started from the beginning and I have to say that I love it so far.

Also, Yuko is adorable.

what no dragon mugs? I have

Comment by Tank762 (not verified) Sat, 07/31/2010 - 21:59

what no dragon mugs? I have four of those I use for the morning coffee...

OMG DND

Comment by Marcus Strout (not verified) Sat, 09/04/2010 - 11:56

I have that same manual, first edition. Some of the monsters are so weird looking in it! Like, check out the kobolds.

So weird.

Harpies

Comment by yourfisharemine (not verified) Sat, 12/18/2010 - 01:48

My parents own that AD&D monster manual. When i was younger i looked at it and the harpies boobs freaked me out.
....Yup....

Really wonderful collection

Comment by indiana amish furniture (not verified) Wed, 02/23/2011 - 01:00

Really wonderful collection of mugs, i think the author has quite interest in collection of different types of mugs, so its amazing. since Yuko maintains a collection of mugs that she has accumulated through a rigorous and selective process over the course of many years. thanks for such information..

Mugs

Comment by Gui (not verified) Wed, 11/16/2011 - 10:39

I love mugs. I toured Europe about a year ago, and though carrying a ridiculously heavy backpack, I insisted on buying AT LEAST a mug per country.

By the end of the trip my handbag was about a ton kilograms worth of mugs. Totally worth it.

AHH that's the only AD&D

Comment by Jude Paxmrosy (not verified) Fri, 08/17/2012 - 19:58

AHH that's the only AD&D manual I know I have but can't find anywhere at home! Maybe the goodwill people stole it from me. >:|

Green tea

Comment by Dolf zigler (not verified) Sat, 03/16/2013 - 05:37

I would like to admire this really commendable post which strikes best with its reality in knowledge & impressive standards. Thanks for such a nice post.

Yuko is much prettier than

Comment by LadyRissa (not verified) Mon, 06/24/2013 - 13:23

Yuko is much prettier than your comic makes her out to be. I for one would never mistake her for a male, nor a child.

She is beautiful.

Real Christian Louboutin Outlet

Comment by Real Christian Louboutin Outlet (not verified) Sun, 07/07/2013 - 08:53

Miranda Kerr to get Christian Louboutin with Jessica alba riveting handbags at 2013 Met Ball, punk wind who deserve to deduce more praise?