FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Tue, 11/10/2009 - 21:51 by Ananth in response to DEV: Girl with the Skeleton Hand

AHHHHHH sorry guys and gals, we're so swamped. We actually laid the groundwork for a new short that we think you'll enjoy - and Yuko started inking the first page - when we realized just how much work we have. ): Unfortunately our client stuff has gotta take priority, but we didn't want to leave you guys hanging.

With apologies out of the way, I can say it's pretty exciting to show the groundwork for Girl with the Skeleton Hand. This is typical of how Yuko works - character designs, I hand her a script, thumbnails, then pencils + inks + colors. Sounds nice and simple written out like that, but it's a surprising amount of work. There's also a lot of dialogue editing after the fact, often times because some nuance in a facial expression reveals something new. Anyway, hope you like the peek into Yuko's sketchbook!

Regarding the store - new reduced shipping prices are in effect! Always doing my best to reduce the final cost of something for your guys' sake, and I finally managed it. Oh, also: 2XL and 3XL Mawzantine mens shirts are now available, in very limited quantities!

That's all. We gotta get back to work - sorry to keep it so short! See you Thursday!

Comments

Excellent.

Comment by Joe D. (not verified) Tue, 11/10/2009 - 21:54

I'm a huge sucker for concept art. is that really how Yuko does her rough page layouts? So CLEAN! Any chance for a higher-res version?

Sadly, those are the actual

Comment by Ananth Tue, 11/10/2009 - 22:55

Sadly, those are the actual size - her thumbnails are that small on paper. ): I'll see if I can do something, though!

I certainly like that Death

Comment by Bob (not verified) Tue, 11/10/2009 - 22:28

I certainly like that Death wears Chucks. I wonder if he was a punk in his youth? lol

pshh

Comment by Joe D. (not verified) Tue, 11/10/2009 - 22:52

Chucks? They're CLEARLY Sonic the Hedgehog shoes.

No complaints here.

Comment by Kaiya (not verified) Tue, 11/10/2009 - 22:29

LOVE SKETCHINESS!

I too, would love to see a high res version. The thumbnails look fantastic!

I'll try! That's the actual

Comment by Ananth Tue, 11/10/2009 - 22:56

I'll try! That's the actual size in Yuko's sketchbook, but maybe I could go super high res and convert to 72 dpi ... we'll see.

Wait

Comment by JSRadio (not verified) Tue, 11/10/2009 - 22:40

Death as a punk? I can see it.

Oooh, yay, character designs!

Comment by Joe Fox (not verified) Tue, 11/10/2009 - 22:43

I do love early designs and such so. And I really love the sketch of Cecilia holding her hat, it looks very cute.

Work In Progress

Comment by A.L. (not verified) Wed, 11/11/2009 - 01:06

Nice concept art.It's always good to see how an artist works on their projects,now if I can get some examples of how scripts are done.I've been wanting to ask someone about that is because I want to do some comic ideas myself since at some point I would like to do s webcomic as well,but it seems it would be more of a nuisance and I doubt I'd get a reply about it anytime soon.

I love seeing roughs of people's work.

Comment by Matt Datchuk (not verified) Wed, 11/11/2009 - 03:15

On that note, have you guys seen this? It's always nice to see art move through it's different phases to the finished product.

Aww man that's awesome,those

Comment by A.L. (not verified) Wed, 11/11/2009 - 09:11

Aww man that's awesome,those are pretty good examples of transitions from concept to finish product =) .

:O

Comment by yraelis (not verified) Wed, 11/11/2009 - 04:13

Then-Then what does Ananth's scripts look like? Andand do the layout of the panels just come out of Yuko's fingers like magic? (because it looks pretty magical)

I'm super amused about how Death stopped being entirely black-void color and turned into yummy chocolate colors. :D Super cool, you guys get another high five for GwtSH.

eeeeee!

Comment by Joe (not verified) Wed, 11/11/2009 - 10:53

I'm such a sucker for behind-the-scenes type stuff. I think it's just as interesting to see all the work that goes into making a final product as it is seeing the final product itself. This is like icing on the GwtSH Cake for me.

I can't wait for the next short. =D

This was a cute story arc!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 11/11/2009 - 12:50

This was a cute story arc! Is it going to make a comeback?

Great job overall Anath and Yuko! ^_^

Yay for concept art!

Comment by William A. Righetti (not verified) Wed, 11/11/2009 - 12:56

Seriously! Yay for concept art! Yuko I love your work and I always enjoy good concept art. Thanks for posting this. I hope you do it more often.

yes shoes

Comment by ritsuka (not verified) Wed, 11/11/2009 - 14:16

Definitely digging that left Death especially. The white sneaks, tan pants, western shirt & cabby hat are awesome looking together. I might even want to try and wear that!

Wow, Yeah Those Sketches are Clean!

Comment by McClaud (not verified) Wed, 11/11/2009 - 15:16

My wife goes through at least four sketchbooks when working on our comic-y thing for the forums we belong to.

For example:

That once looked like this:

We end up scanning it in, redrawing it, cleaning up lines, coloring it, and then shading/fixing it again.

Yuko is super talented. Like it's her super hero power to be able to draw so well.

Shirt sizes

Comment by Michael (not verified) Wed, 11/11/2009 - 17:10

It's really cool to see the roughs, though I kind of wish it were a little bigger just to see the comments. The left most picture of Cecilia looks different, at least in the hair style. I like it, but I liked her character in general.

I look forward to seeing the new shorts you have in the works, just hoping it won't be too long D:

Finally, thanks a ton for the 2X and 3X shirts -- now to scrounge up some monies

Eeee hairstyle!

Comment by Razor (not verified) Wed, 11/11/2009 - 21:17

I'm so glad you decided to give Cecilia a 20's-30's style. Especially her bobbed hair! It's just so cute. Cecilia's style just screams 'girly' and that's great =D With her dainty finger bones and everything.

I really like Cecilia's hair

Comment by Vexx (not verified) Thu, 11/12/2009 - 01:08

I really like Cecilia's hair in the bottom leftmost sketch 0.0

I really liked that story over all. GREAT JOB AS ALWAYS

D'aww

Comment by Nieve (not verified) Thu, 11/12/2009 - 13:12

More Cecilia? It feels like an early Christmas for a lad like me!

Also Chuck Taylors can I get a hell yeah~

Maybe an "Oi oi oi" will

Comment by Bob (not verified) Thu, 11/12/2009 - 16:36

Maybe an "Oi oi oi" will suffice? haha

Hurrey

Comment by art easels (not verified) Sat, 03/20/2010 - 00:00

Hey thanks for sharing stuff man.The white sneaks, tan pants, western shirt & cabby hat are awesome looking together.Keep on posting.

I like that

Comment by JET73L (not verified) Wed, 09/14/2011 - 21:20

I like that concept-art-Death wears all-white Converse shoes with his everyday-seeming outfit, and red ones with his formal suit.

Cecilia's hair looks particularly adorable in the second portrait from the right, at the bottom of the page.

Sorry, I mean in the lower

Comment by JET73L (not verified) Wed, 09/14/2011 - 21:22

Sorry, I mean in the lower right hand corner, the one with the forward curls at her temples. Not that the other style isn't adorable, nor that Death isn't adorable (he is, and very much so).