Damn, late!

Damn, late!

Wed, 11/18/2009 - 00:53 by Ananth in response to Death's Notebook 2

Poor Death ... pining away over Cecilia. This particular journal entry takes place after their first date but before their happy reunion. One day we'll do a proper comic storyline, but in the meantime - please enjoy Death's embarrassing poetry about and doodles of Cecilia.

Sorry that the comic is up late - we're still hitting deadlines pretty hard. Luckily we'll have something to show for it - and to show you guys - in a few weeks. Actually we're working on a couple of things that we can't talk about quite yet. ): Frustrating!

There are still some Mawzantine Crest tees left in the store! And we've added more stock of Girl with the Skeleton Hand pinsets.

Comments

D'awww

Comment by Emi (not verified) Wed, 11/18/2009 - 00:58

This is too cute! Death really should not be so adorable. And mmmm he is rockin' those pinstripes and converse. Way to go guys!

Too cute.

Comment by Katt (not verified) Wed, 11/18/2009 - 01:09

The journal entries are really way too cute for Death's own good.

and yay for actual year/timeline/continuity :D

embarrassing poetry?

Comment by King_Bahamut (not verified) Wed, 11/18/2009 - 01:28

This is as usual a rather amusing comic made here but I am curious Ananth, do you consider all poetry embarrassing or just that he is having trouble writing his poem to the girl he is pining for? Curious as I write poetry myself.(^^)

We post a poem every hundred

Comment by Ananth Wed, 11/18/2009 - 02:01

We post a poem every hundred comics! Death is just terrible at poetry. ;)

for some reason this makes

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 11/18/2009 - 02:04

for some reason this makes me think of Deadpool and his crush on death....who in this case is female.

Yuko, you know what you have

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 11/24/2009 - 08:23

Yuko, you know what you have to do now. (Cecilia in Deadpool costume!)

Wait...

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 11/18/2009 - 02:47

If the diary entry is about Celia, and it's dated in 1946... That means that Celia's flashbacks would have happened about 65 years in the past. Yet in the first comic of skeleton hand, we see you and Yuko walking by with Celia looking nowhere near in her 80s... So...

Death gave Celia the gift of immortality!? On the first date of all things... =O

Not at all

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 11/18/2009 - 03:30

Celia isn't immortal, Yuko and Ananth are!

You're hit the nail on the

Comment by Ananth Wed, 11/18/2009 - 13:09

You've hit the nail on the head, more or less :) The crash she talks about is the Stock Market crash of '29, before the Great Depression.

Ambulance

Comment by Softspoken (not verified) Wed, 11/18/2009 - 15:43

But that story, which begins with us seeing the two of you, ends with the date being trucked away into a VERY modern looking ambulance.

I'm suspicious.

hee hee!

Comment by Aido Wed, 11/18/2009 - 19:39

But Cecelia and Death met in a flashback, which happened in an unknown time. :D

(Cecelia is immortal, because Death was avoiding her!  The original blind date took place in the 1920's. :D)

Genius!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 11/18/2009 - 20:52

Genius!

Of course!

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 11/19/2009 - 12:17

That makes so much more sense now!
*waggles finger* Oh Yuko&Ananth, you clever continuity-generating minds, you! 8D

Thought I would check.

Comment by King_Bahamut (not verified) Wed, 11/18/2009 - 02:48

I don't remember much poetry done in these comics and you guys are around the 120ish area so...(^^) But yes he does seem to be struggling, though to be fair on his part poems about a person you are in love with sound hard, I have never tried though.

Silly Death

Comment by MichelleD (not verified) Wed, 11/18/2009 - 03:14

Awhhh silly Death. Your heart is the Earth, rejoicing in the light of the sun, lit by the moon at night, dark only when alone. Around and around spins the Earth, drawing ever near the sun, yet afraid to touch. The waves of the ocean break hither and thither, pulled onward by the moon to their greatest heights and lowest depths.

Alright, I'll stop rhapsodizing now. :P

Hahaha, oh man! You should

Comment by Ananth Wed, 11/18/2009 - 13:10

Hahaha, oh man! You should help him write his poems, he is no good at all on his own.

awww

Comment by Karlee (not verified) Wed, 11/18/2009 - 06:21

Who knew Death was so pathetically cute?
He's just like a little kicked puppy that writes bad, bad poetry!
awwww!

Okay.....

Comment by Dude from the other colonies (not verified) Wed, 11/18/2009 - 06:34

I'm liking this picture... But, in your mind, Death apprantly looks exactly like Doctor Who. Except in negative.

DITTO.

Comment by Hope (not verified) Wed, 06/15/2011 - 03:28

I completely agree! I love the outfit, the converse with the suit looks just like something out of the Tenth Doctor's wardrobe!

is cecelia asian because it

Comment by hbk (not verified) Wed, 11/18/2009 - 07:39

is cecelia asian because it kind of looks like he used that one tutorial from youtube on how to draw asian women
needs more handbags though

LOL yeaaaaah Yuko and I

Comment by Ananth Wed, 11/18/2009 - 13:12

LOL yeaaaaah Yuko and I realized after I was putting the comic together -- she's not asian, although I understand the confusion.

needs more jewelry.

Comment by Aido Wed, 11/18/2009 - 19:41

Obviously, her lips aren't nearly beautiful or full enough.  Also, her hair should be longer.

Oh man. Poetry is hard

Comment by darrylayo (not verified) Wed, 11/18/2009 - 08:04

Oh man. Poetry is hard work!

Keep trying, Death; word combination is ESSENTIAL in wooing the still-living!

...

Comment by Joe D. (not verified) Wed, 11/18/2009 - 08:36

Your hands are... OH CRAP I'M SO SORRY OH CRAP.

HAHAHA I wish I'd thought of

Comment by Ananth Wed, 11/18/2009 - 13:12

HAHAHA I wish I'd thought of that. Haaahahaha ...

C'mon

Comment by Dr3w (not verified) Wed, 11/18/2009 - 08:50

I can't imagine that Yuko drew the little Celia sketches, the art style is WAY too different...

So who drew 'em? Eh? Eh?

It was in fact Yuko! We

Comment by Ananth Wed, 11/18/2009 - 13:13

It was in fact Yuko! We tried getting samples from other people (including myself) but they didn't quite work.

I really love Death's suit -

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 11/18/2009 - 09:11

I really love Death's suit - very smart! ;)

So who drew the doodles of Celia?

Yuko!

Comment by Ananth Wed, 11/18/2009 - 13:13

Yuko!

shoes of death

Comment by JaguarJax (not verified) Wed, 11/18/2009 - 09:42

Death has sweet shoes. Truly, a classy dude.

:o...

Comment by eagle (not verified) Wed, 11/18/2009 - 09:47

Is February spelled wrong? Hard to tell with cursive...

it's in there! Just sort of

Comment by Ananth Wed, 11/18/2009 - 13:14

it's in there! Just sort of scribbly.

My cursive is too scribbly. :/

Comment by Aido Wed, 11/18/2009 - 19:46

There is an R in there, but it kinda mushed together with the B and U.  >_o  I'm not super practiced with my cursive.  Ananth doesn't remember how to do cursive at all, haha!

I can write in cursive! It

Comment by Ananth Thu, 11/19/2009 - 11:53

I can write in cursive! It took a minute to come back to me ... but it seriously looks like a first grader practicing his cursive. :/ No good for the aesthetic we need here.

Death may be the worst

Comment by Jarryd (not verified) Wed, 11/18/2009 - 10:33

Death may be the worst artist, but he's the snappiest dresser.

Snappy Dresser.

Comment by Softspoken (not verified) Wed, 11/18/2009 - 15:46

Makes me wonder where he gets his clothes... And also how the people who sell it to him react. He probably doesn't get them fitted.

Doodles = Daria

Comment by Josh (not verified) Wed, 11/18/2009 - 11:30

Death makes Cecilia look like Helen Morgendorffer.

You are the bread and the

Comment by Tawny (not verified) Wed, 11/18/2009 - 12:14

You are the bread and the knife,
the crystal goblet and the wine.
You are the dew on the morning grass
and the burning wheel of the sun.
You are the white apron of the baker,
and the marsh birds suddenly in flight.

However, you are not the wind in the orchard,
the plums on the counter,
or the house of cards.
And you are certainly not the pine-scented air.
There is just no way that you are the pine-scented air.

It is possible that you are the fish under the bridge,
maybe even the pigeon on the general's head,
but you are not even close
to being the field of cornflowers at dusk.

And a quick look in the mirror will show
that you are neither the boots in the corner
nor the boat asleep in its boathouse.

It might interest you to know,
speaking of the plentiful imagery of the world,
that I am the sound of rain on the roof.

I also happen to be the shooting star,
the evening paper blowing down an alley
and the basket of chestnuts on the kitchen table.

I am also the moon in the trees
and the blind woman's tea cup.
But don't worry, I'm not the bread and the knife.
You are still the bread and the knife.
You will always be the bread and the knife,
not to mention the crystal goblet and--somehow--the wine.
-Billy Collins

:D :D :D

Comment by Aido Wed, 11/18/2009 - 19:44

Woww, this is an adorable and beautiful poem.  I love it!  Thank you for sharing it!

Every girl crazy....

Comment by Brendan (not verified) Wed, 11/18/2009 - 12:25

At least that sucker has one hell of a snazzy suit.

There's just something about falling in love

Comment by Razor (not verified) Wed, 11/18/2009 - 13:16

...that makes one want to write poetry (with various levels of success). =)

Rockin' the pinstripes!

D'aww, who would've thought

Comment by Nieve (not verified) Wed, 11/18/2009 - 13:42

D'aww, who would've thought Death could be so cute.

death is so k-yoot, and this

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 11/18/2009 - 14:38

death is so k-yoot, and this page is way easier to read than the last one was. YAY.

Because Cecilia Could Not Stop For Death

Comment by Joe (not verified) Wed, 11/18/2009 - 14:38

He should take her on a carriage ride through the countryside. It would be a gentlemanly thing to do.

Comment by Aido Wed, 11/18/2009 - 19:43

Ahaha, I actually had Ananth read this poem a few nights ago!  I think Emily Dickinson was a subconscious inspiration for the character.

I picked up Yuko's

Comment by Ananth Thu, 11/19/2009 - 12:00

I picked up Yuko's collection of Dickinson poems last night -- not too familiar so I'm brushing up. ;)

eeeeeeeeeee I literally

Comment by Cheri (not verified) Wed, 11/18/2009 - 19:57

eeeeeeeeeee

I literally squee'd at that.

Paper

Comment by Jarryd (not verified) Wed, 11/18/2009 - 15:14

I like the transition from old rough stained paper to lined. Good touch!

I'm glad someone noticed!

Comment by Ananth Thu, 11/19/2009 - 12:01

I'm glad someone noticed! Thanks!

does it seem to anyone else like

Comment by Liz (not verified) Wed, 11/18/2009 - 22:17

Death's artwork has deteriorated since the Maw entry? perhaps being in love has addled his brains....