Some fan art!

Some fan art!

Thu, 11/19/2009 - 17:25 by Ananth in response to now he knows it's real

We finally snapped and took a day out in the city because we were feeling a tad overworked. Yuko, George and Mike ate at Katz's Deli, famous in New York for its corned beef, pastrami and reuben sandwiches. I got some falafel down the street - I am nuts for falafel, it is so good. If you guys have any recommendations for a good falafel place in NYC or DC, do let me know! :)

Actually, the reason we ate at Katz's Deli was because we watched Man vs. Food, a show where the host picks a city, hits the food hotspots, and then completes some sort of food-related challenge at the end. The New York edition featured Phaal, a spicy Indian curry that has 10 different kinds of chiles in it. The owner of the restaurant claims it once gave a customer a nosebleed, and the cooks have to wear a gas mask when they're in the kitchen! Wild.

From Katz's we walked all the way up the island, stopping so Mike could complete his mission. Objective complete!

Oh, I should show what I mentioned in the title. Here is some fanart Yuko did for Rice Boy's Evan Dahm,

And here's a little something for The Meek's Der-shing Helmer,

Both great comics that deserve a good read. That's all from us! See you next week!

Comments

I just found out about this

Comment by Taco (not verified) Thu, 11/19/2009 - 17:44

I just found out about this webcomic today... and read all of it. Got to the end and LO AND BEHOLD NEW COMIC.
I love these.
Also, I hope to be Yuko when I am older.

Cycle

Comment by Softspoken (not verified) Thu, 11/19/2009 - 18:16

It's like a hilariously vicious cycle! Binge Taco! Archive binge until you can no longer stay awake!

I've binged 'til I can binge

Comment by Taco (not verified) Fri, 11/20/2009 - 07:30

I've binged 'til I can binge no more!

Hey! I was just in NY to

Comment by DmL (not verified) Thu, 11/19/2009 - 17:48

Hey! I was just in NY to see Hamlet (amazing) we stayed less than a block from the ESB. Pinkberry is great!

Th-this is what I do when I

Comment by Enlyn (not verified) Thu, 11/19/2009 - 18:19

Th-this is what I do when I go places ...

I have found a brother. q__q

falafel!!

Comment by Y? (not verified) Thu, 11/19/2009 - 18:47

You must go to Mamoun's in the West Village for falafel. It is delicious, cheap and open insanely late. It's right next to the NYU Vanderbuilt Law building off of Washington Square Park. If you're in that area see if you can't catch the Dosa Man. He's usually in WSP right across from the NYU LAW building. He makes the BEST dosas ever. There's usually a line but it's worth it!

this is exactly what i was

Comment by Brad (not verified) Fri, 11/20/2009 - 07:40

this is exactly what i was going to say

i see someone else mentioned chickpea, it's also good, but mamoun's is the real deal

yeah i was about to say

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 11/20/2009 - 12:31

yeah i was about to say Mamouns also....

As for DC, skip falafels and find a Julio's Empinadas to eat at. Seriously, you must trust me about this.

Dang, I was going to say

Comment by Akaros (not verified) Tue, 11/24/2009 - 01:46

Dang, I was going to say Mahmoun's too! But yeah, cheap and tasty, provided you're down at washington square already. It pretty much has a cult following in our Arabic class section.

Mamoun's is also in st.marks

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 11/24/2009 - 11:01

Mamoun's is also in st.marks if your closer to there.

lol, now all he has to do is

Comment by Kit (not verified) Thu, 11/19/2009 - 19:30

lol, now all he has to do is lick the Liberty Bell ;)

...because that would be

Comment by Krimson (not verified) Thu, 11/19/2009 - 19:49

...because that would be nothing short of legen... wait for it... DARY.

Falafel

Comment by Lotsa (not verified) Thu, 11/19/2009 - 19:41

There's a great little franchise chain in New York called Chickpea that has the best falafel!

There are a couple of locations:

i did that in July, i went

Comment by DisposablePal (not verified) Thu, 11/19/2009 - 19:46

i did that in July, i went around to all the New York landmarks. I've lived in DC my whole life and i've never done that here. I love the fan art, i actually did some for JW, wasnt sure if i wanted to upload it. Maybe after i touch it up a bit i will.

I've never eaten falafel in

Comment by New York Architect (not verified) Sun, 01/29/2012 - 06:24

I've never eaten falafel in NY, but I definitely want to, now. I'm not a big fan of it, but the description you've made made me really hungry. I love what Yoko did, she really has talent. Her drawings are powerful, she must be a strong person.

Man Vs. Food

Comment by Ramiel (not verified) Thu, 11/19/2009 - 19:57

My brother was in a restaurant in NYC, it was crowded too, just to see him. When the owner cheerfully asked the host if he could challenge one of their eaters, the dude snapped and threaten to punch someone if they mentioned it again. More than half of the people there in the restaurant left when the recording resumed.

Wh- what? I think this needs

Comment by Jarryd (not verified) Fri, 11/20/2009 - 09:19

Wh- what? I think this needs some explanation. Why would he get angry about "challenging" someone else?

hm?

Comment by Jim (not verified) Sun, 11/22/2009 - 16:21

Yeah, you're rather vauge with "if HE (who?) could challenge one of THEIR (whose?) eaters".

"Snapping and threatening to punch somebody" seems outside of that dude's character. It does seem like something he would joke about, though. Why would somebody threaten to punch people for mentioning food challenges?

sorry for the vagueness

Comment by Ramiel (not verified) Tue, 11/24/2009 - 10:13

what I meant that the owner was asking the host of the show if he could challenge someone else in a eating contest. That's when he snapped.

Yeah, on television, he looks laid back and awesome. But when you actually meet him in person, it's a different story. Don't believe everything you see. D:

I wouldn't be surprised.

Comment by Origamigryphon (not verified) Tue, 11/24/2009 - 16:23

Even if I was some big shot Food TV/Travel Channel personality, I would snap too if I was asked the same question all. The. Time. He must get that question a lot to make him snap like that.

Hiya! My ex used to rave

Comment by Caitlin (not verified) Thu, 11/19/2009 - 20:06

Hiya!

My ex used to rave about a little falafel joint a few blocks down from Cooper Union in NYC. It was next door to a FANTASTIC BBQ joint that was one of MY favorites. We would take the subway to Astor Pl and walk down. I think it was at St Marks Pl and 2nd. I'm assuming its still there since it was a college neighborhood and the falafel was (apparently) tasty and cheeeap.

Ahh, being poor in a long distance relationship...good times, good times.

Oh yes, I love the comic!!

I think the one you're

Comment by ladyiconoclast (not verified) Fri, 11/20/2009 - 09:26

I think the one you're thinking of is Cafe Rokka, which has some of the tastiest falafel and hummus in the city. So good!
It's like a tiny place, but I've gone on two dates there recently, the food is just that good.

Am I the only one who needs

Comment by New York video production (not verified) Mon, 03/26/2012 - 18:39

Am I the only one who needs an explanation regarding hummus? I've tried it, once, but it doesn't taste at all, so how can it be better or worse than in other places, if it doesn't taste? Can someone please tell me if I've got a wrong place to try it?

!

Comment by Sally Sick-Face (not verified) Thu, 11/19/2009 - 21:22

I am deeply honored to say that I did the exact same thing.
It slightly frightened my family and fellow tourists. :I
And falafel is delicious.
True fax, man.

Mike seems to have caught The George.

Comment by Joe (not verified) Thu, 11/19/2009 - 21:40

I always heard that smiles were contagious, but this seems a bit much.

Falafel in Brooklyn

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 11/19/2009 - 22:29

The best falafel options in Brooklyn are any one of the Zaytoons (Fort Greene, Cobble Hill or Prospect Heights) and, even better, the absurdly named but amazingly good Mr. Falafel in Park Slope.

mamouns!

Comment by AutumnDevi (not verified) Thu, 11/19/2009 - 22:33

so someone above already mentioned Mamouns in the West Village, and then someone else mentioned it too but not by name...they do have a location right on St. Marks Place I believe right across the street from the Tibet store. If you're in that area again, I recommend you check out Toy Tokyo, which you can get to by walking further down St Marks from Bowery St and making your first right. Theres a sign in the shape of a dinosaur and you have to walk upstairs, but something tells me you guys would enjoy it!
Also, does anyone know the name of this mexican restaurant, I think it was called "chimichangas" or something quite tex-mexy like that, on the West side near Washington square? I was in the area once with a friend and we stumbled on it. It had great food at a reasonable price, and the wait staff were all really nice.

...

Comment by Joe D. (not verified) Thu, 11/19/2009 - 22:56

Oh, ye of little faith.

Huh?

Comment by Ananth Fri, 11/20/2009 - 10:33

Huh?

There's Heights Falafel on

Comment by Miyuki (not verified) Thu, 11/19/2009 - 23:50

There's Heights Falafel on Henry St. in Brooklyn. Great, fresh ingredients. And if you got the platter, the portions are huge!

Hungry Nation

Comment by MiaLynn (not verified) Fri, 11/20/2009 - 00:36

There's a podcast on itunes (which you can also watch by going to hungrynation.tv) and they have this thing called VendrTV, where the host goes around to some of the best food carts in major cities. He has done a lot in NYC which look soooo good, and a few in the DC area.
Worthwhile to check out! :)

Oh great; Next he going to

Comment by Samm Neiland (not verified) Fri, 11/20/2009 - 03:17

Oh great; Next he going to want to touch the statue of liberty and then get arrested for sexual harassment.

*buh dum bump chee*

I admit I snrked, hehe.

Comment by Ananth Fri, 11/20/2009 - 10:35

I admit I snrked, hehe.

Kati Rolls and Noodles

Comment by Daniel (not verified) Fri, 11/20/2009 - 07:34

Try the Kati Roll Company, a couple doors down from the West VIllage Mamoun's (There's also one near the ESB, 36 St, I think?) Amazing rolls of joy!

Also, there's an inexpensive and tasty noodle spot in midtown, Menchanko-Tei on 55th off of 5th. They have great ramen but are more famous for their chanko dishes.

Falafel

Comment by Apreche (not verified) Fri, 11/20/2009 - 07:41

Pick-a-Pita on 601 8th avenue between 39th and 40th streets. That is the winner. It used to be an extreme extreme hole-in-the-wall. So extreme, sometimes I couldn't find it. It managed to make enough money to move to a newer non-hole location.

Excellent post! And Rice Boy

Comment by Tobin (not verified) Fri, 11/20/2009 - 10:04

Excellent post! And Rice Boy is seriously some good webcomic goodness! Thanks for the suggestion.

Personally, I prefer the

Comment by Jack (not verified) Fri, 11/20/2009 - 10:54

Personally, I prefer the Second Avenue Deli... but Katz's is very good.

If you want REALLY fantastic falafel, check out Jerusalem Pizza if you're ever in Highland Park, NJ. They also make falafel pizza, which is bizarre yet delicious.

Man v. Food!

Comment by Katie Better (not verified) Fri, 11/20/2009 - 11:33

Hey guys!

Love your comic, it's a solid part of my morning routine. I'm so psyched y'all enjoyed Man v. Food and went on an adventure to Katz's in NYC because of it! The Brooklyn episode just premiered recently and I hope you guys got a kick out of it.

I got the OK from Comms, so when you get a chance pop me an email and I will try to hook you up with a fun premium.

Katie B (somethingbetter)

E-mailed ya'! ;)

Comment by Ananth Fri, 11/20/2009 - 12:03

E-mailed ya'! ;)

Thanks everyone for these

Comment by Ananth Fri, 11/20/2009 - 12:05

Thanks everyone for these awesome food suggestions - keep 'em coming! We, uh, love to eat.

yo

Comment by Evan Dahm (not verified) Fri, 11/20/2009 - 13:02

Hey I am commenting to say that I do this thing too, the touching-famous-buildings-to-make-sure-they-are-real thing.

I would mention also that I love Yuko's T-O-E but I think I have made that abundantly clear.

Yey!

Comment by Aido Sat, 11/21/2009 - 02:18

Haha, there is a surprising number of people saying the same thing. XD

Awh shucks, I'm glad you like him! :D  T-O-E's my fa-vo-rite, it only seemed fair.  And thank you for putting up with my constant fangirly yammering on your UStreams, haha

I prefer Anthony to Adam every time...

Comment by RSJ (not verified) Fri, 11/20/2009 - 15:15

It's shameful to admit that I've lived in NY all my life and never ate at Katz's... however, the area I grew up in had about a million Jewish delicatessens in the neighborhood, so I might not see the same appeal as most other people...

Has Man vs. Food done the Nathan's Hot Dog Contest yet? I'd think it'd be pretty strange if it hadn't.

Falafel

Comment by lennan (not verified) Fri, 11/20/2009 - 15:20

Well, unfortunately, living on the West Coast makes it hard to make suggestions for NY. But! If and when you come to Comic Con in San Diego next year, if for whatever reason you can make a day trip to Westwood in LA, there's an awesome falafel shop run by a Lebanese family called Sunnin (www.sunnin.com). It is to die for good food.

Do you want to touch it?

Comment by Paul (not verified) Fri, 11/20/2009 - 16:45

Loved the comic today! Makes me want to go into the city and touch what he touched. Hmmm...that sounded kind of bad.

Taim = Hebrew for Tasty!

Comment by anna (not verified) Fri, 11/20/2009 - 20:09

I hear Mamoun's is pretty good, but you will find falafel nirvana at Taim on Waverly. Nirvana, I say! There is nothing there that is not toe-curlingly delicious. Plus they have three different kinds of falafel! I always go with harissa 'cause I likes 'em spicy.

Comment by birdman (not verified) Fri, 11/20/2009 - 23:53

I know where im going next time I go to NYC for a day trip.

Kat'z is Amazing

Comment by Max In NYC (not verified) Sat, 11/21/2009 - 01:19

I live a block from Katz's! It's perfect for breakfast, though it packs up pretty quick. Hope you guys enjoyed it.

On a side note, I just discovered the comic the other day and absolutely adore it. Thanks for the good times, come back to NYC soon!

The pepper thing

Comment by Jack Warn (not verified) Sat, 11/21/2009 - 10:58

Hey that pepper curry that you mentioned sounds a whole lot like number 50 where John tried to dry the peppers in the oven.

falafel

Comment by eugene lee (not verified) Sat, 11/21/2009 - 13:28

there's a place for $1 falafels by st. mark's

Cinderella Falafel
129 2nd Ave
between 7th St & St Marks Pl

other eateries right around there that are amazing or cheap:
two bros pizza ($1 slice)
pomme frites