Some fan art!

Some fan art!

Thu, 11/19/2009 - 17:25 by Ananth in response to now he knows it's real

We finally snapped and took a day out in the city because we were feeling a tad overworked. Yuko, George and Mike ate at Katz's Deli, famous in New York for its corned beef, pastrami and reuben sandwiches. I got some falafel down the street - I am nuts for falafel, it is so good. If you guys have any recommendations for a good falafel place in NYC or DC, do let me know! :)

Actually, the reason we ate at Katz's Deli was because we watched Man vs. Food, a show where the host picks a city, hits the food hotspots, and then completes some sort of food-related challenge at the end. The New York edition featured Phaal, a spicy Indian curry that has 10 different kinds of chiles in it. The owner of the restaurant claims it once gave a customer a nosebleed, and the cooks have to wear a gas mask when they're in the kitchen! Wild.

From Katz's we walked all the way up the island, stopping so Mike could complete his mission. Objective complete!

Oh, I should show what I mentioned in the title. Here is some fanart Yuko did for Rice Boy's Evan Dahm,

And here's a little something for The Meek's Der-shing Helmer,

Both great comics that deserve a good read. That's all from us! See you next week!

Comments

I'll second Two Bros. Pizza.

Comment by gordon (not verified) Sun, 11/22/2009 - 13:37

I'll second Two Bros. Pizza. Most people also like Patsy's (somewhere on the east side, I think), and Koronet's (on broadway a couple blocks downtown from Columbia U), for very different reasons. I advocate just wandering around Brooklyn and stepping into pizza places.

Hungarian Pastry Shop has great pastry, but you need to go early in the morning (by nine or so) to actually get things before they run out.

I don't know falafel, unfortunately.

DC is 'solutely not only good for empanadas

Comment by Evan Jensen (not verified) Sun, 11/22/2009 - 23:11

I second the Julia's Empanadas thing. They're dang tasty. But really, in DC you can't do better falafel than Adam's Morgan's Amsterdam Falafel Shop. On 18th St. NW. East side of the street, block south from the intersection w/ Columbia. This place is astounding tasty. Tasty like explosion. I make it a point to hit it at least once a month.

DC holla!(-fel) (...i'm sorry.)

Comment by Nina D (not verified) Mon, 11/30/2009 - 03:51

Agreed on both counts. And luckily, a Julia's and Amsterdam are practically across the street from each other in Adams Morgan. That's a tasty block of neighborhood.

Fl'flz an' 'panadas.

Comment by Paulette (not verified) Mon, 11/23/2009 - 11:27

Amsterdam Falafel is QUITE amazing, but really ANYWHERE in adams morgan has amazing anything. Theres the Shwarma place across the street from falafel too. (equally falafel esque..)

Julias Empanadas is also amazing, and best part theres like 10 of them in DC.

I find YELP helpful. TRY IT.

Why?

Comment by Rick Daniel (not verified) Mon, 11/23/2009 - 11:31

Why is George always smiling and we can't see his eyes?

Man, I missed out

Comment by Razor (not verified) Mon, 11/23/2009 - 14:07

When my friend and I went to NYC in 2005, we didn't go food adventuring in Midtown where we were staying (she's kind of a picky eater). However I managed to get across the river into Jersey and went to Mitsuwa Marketplace, where I had my first red bean boba tea and a wicked udon bowl with tempura. I could have stayed there for days tasting everything!

It's a wonderful memory...because about two years ago I found out that I have developed a soy allergy and can't eat Japanese food anymore. =(

I do, however, enjoy falafel. We have a natural restaurant in town and that was the first dish I tried when they opened a few years ago. It was fabulous! (along with their Sarah Bernhardts, wow)

I am just an echo

Comment by Emico (not verified) Mon, 11/23/2009 - 14:52

I was going to say Mamoun's, but everyone already said Mamoun's. Funny story: I was the one who fed Conrad his first falafel in Rochester.

falafel in nyc = tahini's

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 06/16/2011 - 14:08

falafel in nyc = tahini's it's on third ~9th street (walk south from grey line 3rd ave stop)
falafel is heavenly

DwLzysszAPbGFwhyd

Comment by Luckie (not verified) Fri, 06/24/2011 - 02:55

Check that off the list of things I was cofnuesd about.

I'll have what she's having

Comment by Puck (not verified) Tue, 11/22/2011 - 07:56

Isn't Katz Deli the site of Meg Ryan's famous orgasm scene? Or am I totally off-mark, here?