Happy Thanksgiving! (only valid in the U.S. and belatedly in Canada)

John I'm sorry! We revealed your terrible secret!

Happy Thanksgiving! If you are American why are you on the computer?? You should be eating. If you're doing both, that's acceptable (I think??).

Some neat news!

Happy Thanksgiving from Applegeeks in TIME.com's Techland!

Snapture (the iPhone app I worked on) on the front page of TechCrunch!

We are working today - over 50% done with the project we've been plugging away at! You will see it soon!! Here's a sneak peek at character designs:

Oh, gotta mention - we haven't released a holiday shipping schedule like everyone else yet - if you are really worried just check out USPS's holiday schedule, we'll be basing ours off of that.

I think that's all! Eat a lot, and we'll see you next week! Probably still with full stomachs ...

Comments

My friend had us play this

Comment by QuoteRadar (not verified) Fri, 11/27/2009 - 01:01

My friend had us play this game once where we tore open a bunch of sugar packets, dumped one out and filled it with salt, and shuffled them around to everyone. We all had to down them at the same time and whoever got the salt had to try and keep a straight face.

Needless to say, it was pretty entertaining.

Hahaha, that is awesome!!

Comment by Ananth Fri, 11/27/2009 - 01:40

Hahaha, that is awesome!! I'll have to keep that one in mind.

I'd happily take a shot of

Comment by Mouse (not verified) Fri, 11/27/2009 - 01:08

I'd happily take a shot of taco sauce. The Taco Bell Fire stuff that they sell in grocery stores.

I always thought Teriyaki

Comment by Lew (not verified) Fri, 11/27/2009 - 02:11

I always thought Teriyaki Sauce was Soy Sauce...

(btw, I usually only read this on the Reader, so just now I see your background image with the crazy bird - I LOVE it!)

half and half makes a great

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 11/27/2009 - 03:03

half and half makes a great shot, especiall since it comes in those little cup things for coffee and lemon juice is good too (separate though, those would not combine well). And definitely tabasco.

Balsamic Vinegar is amazing.

Comment by Vaah (not verified) Fri, 11/27/2009 - 03:40

Bravo John, that shit is delicious. Isn't Ketchup a little too thick to take a shot of?

Try marmite ;P

Comment by Doz (not verified) Fri, 11/27/2009 - 06:08

Try marmite ;P

huh. does john also take

Comment by warbunny (not verified) Fri, 11/27/2009 - 06:56

huh. does john also take shots of Vicious Viper? would be hard to watch, i guess...

lol, I would do shots of

Comment by Royerson (not verified) Fri, 11/27/2009 - 07:23

lol, I would do shots of almost all of those... just not salt. Does he seriously do that? I've had like a pinch of straight salt in my mouth before and it was horrible. I think taking a shot would be potentially fatal.

Taking shots of random food-like items

Comment by Robert V Aldrich (not verified) Fri, 11/27/2009 - 08:38

That's how horror movies start, you know?

John - 'I'll take a shot of pretty much anything.'
Crazy Old Man Who Just Appeared - 'Oh really?'
John - 'Yes, really.'
COMWJA - 'Then take a shot of this "tartar sauce".'

Horror movie, I'm telling you.
...
...
Or it's how you become a Power Ranger. Either way, it won't be good.

Just don't inhale at the wrong time

Comment by kaitou (not verified) Fri, 11/27/2009 - 11:03

Not being spicy in the hot sauce sense, have him try a shot of wasabi. (Make sure you have a camera handy, though.)

Oh man, my brother did this

Comment by Ananth Fri, 11/27/2009 - 12:32

Oh man, my brother did this once - he'd never had wasabi before. The look on his face ...

Haha, I actually know a guy

Comment by Royerson (not verified) Sat, 11/28/2009 - 05:05

Haha, I actually know a guy who has wasabi eating contests, and apparently the trick is to breath through your mouth and then it's not that bad.

im not alone woo

Comment by filthwizard (not verified) Fri, 11/27/2009 - 12:24

i do that as wel brown sauce shots balsamic and normal vinegar as well im not a freak anymore. yay

I think that John is a

Comment by Royshan (not verified) Fri, 11/27/2009 - 14:36

I think that John is a rather dashing character. Interesting anywho.
(By character I mean personality. Gah)

Ha! Hope you guys had a

Comment by Mike the Roomy (not verified) Fri, 11/27/2009 - 14:37

Ha! Hope you guys had a happy Hamsgiving! We should mayo shots when I get back ; 9

i do the same thing...

Comment by CFAR (not verified) Fri, 11/27/2009 - 15:35

i do the same thing...

Maple Syrup?

Comment by BurntToShreds (not verified) Fri, 11/27/2009 - 15:55

Oh God he's like Captain K'nuckles from Flapjack

LOL true!

Comment by Razor (not verified) Mon, 11/30/2009 - 12:59

LOL true!

Oh man, I used to do shots

Comment by fuzenmaru (not verified) Fri, 11/27/2009 - 18:20

Oh man, I used to do shots of balsamic vinegar, drink packets of soy sauce and mild taco bell sauce, that is until I was able to drink shots of scotch, bourbon and vodka. Oh, a shot of balsamic vinegar cleanses the palette so that you may take in the flavor of your next dish (I think...)

"jhan"?

Comment by Soren Diz (not verified) Fri, 11/27/2009 - 18:22

john you sound like my mother's dream victim for indian cooking taste testing
I'd watch out if i were you
shots of chili pepper rarely work as well as sugar.
^_^

so..

Comment by katt (not verified) Fri, 11/27/2009 - 18:23

I actually knew a bunch of guys who played this game at work (crepe stand), one of whom was my boyfriend.

They would use a spatula as a pointer, close their eyes and spin around until they stopped. Whatever they pointed at, they would have to take a shot of.

I witnessed:

- Salt (the salt ended up pouring out of the guy's mouth in a stream that reminded me of the waterfalls from Episode I of Star Wars, where they used salt for the overhead shot of the palace.)

- Sugar (bf got this one. He ended up chugging two glasses of water)

- Olive Oil (new guy got this and made the most fantastic expression of horror and disgust at the texture)

- Cinnamon (the big tipper who was allowed to hang out with them took this one, and ended up coughing it out. There was a cloud of cinnamon and it was freaking hilarious. He was drinking water straight out of a pitcher for this).

I think John should try Cinnamon :D

snuff

Comment by filthwizard (not verified) Fri, 11/27/2009 - 20:04

i have also when in college in lovely super dark semi dangerous (rumor only pub called paraffin lamp filled with people who had just cashed there giros and never had a bad moment just fun nice times and winning champagne in a quiz) snorted pepper and salt in a drunken bet i needed half a pint of whisky to dull the pain

I take creamer shots with my

Comment by Pupsqueak (not verified) Fri, 11/27/2009 - 21:33

I take creamer shots with my friends. We were all theatre kids in high school and it was what we did when we went out to Perkins. Turns out that it's not just a my-group-of-friends thing, some theatre kids I know in college do it too.

DON'T!

Comment by Jerry Lewis? (not verified) Sat, 11/28/2009 - 03:29

I feel bad for recommending this (because... well... it'll kill 'em). A shot of Cinnamon. Don't let 'em try, but no doubt 'll want to.

BBQ Sauce

Comment by Jesus Lopez (not verified) Sun, 11/29/2009 - 03:27

I was in Denver last summer on my school's Art Club trip and we visited a restaraunt called the black eyed pea where I ordered the ribs with BBQ sauce. After recieving my order, I immediately attacked my dish with enough sauce left to do a shot. All of the club looked at me with surprise.
P.S.-I am a fan of Johnny Wander. :)

I Wouldn't Suggest It

Comment by sugarapplesweet (not verified) Mon, 11/30/2009 - 00:14

Last year my roommates has a challenge to take a shot of more or less anything that was edible in our kitchen. It didn't always have to be straight, either. All combinations were fair game.

I won by not only taking a shot of Mrs. Dash lemon pepper seasoning, but also a shot of pickled beet juice (something that I love on its own) mixed with ketchup and mustard. It was pretty awful.

The game quickly ended when one of them took a spoonful of condensed chicken broth, though.

The guy in that character

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Mon, 11/30/2009 - 00:55

The guy in that character sketch looks like Ron from Kim Possible.

Comment by eagle (not verified) Mon, 11/30/2009 - 12:10

The honey shots are actually good for you, especially when you're sick. Also, when spring rolls around and mother nature is in full pollen-attack-mode, it's good to have some local honey to suck down in order to boost your allergy immunities. I recommend getting some late harvest honey the year before (big ole mason jar of it) in order to have it on hand for the bloomin season :D

What, no Hershey's?

Comment by Razor (not verified) Mon, 11/30/2009 - 13:07

I love shots of Hershey's syrup. =D Used to eat spoonful after spoonful of it even when there was no ice cream!

Although recently I went over to a friend's house and tried that...and immediately regretted it. It was 'no sugar added' chocolate sauce and tasted absolutely disgusting without the ice cream to sweeten it up. BLEAH! So wrong!

Fallen

Comment by Kristen Saunders (not verified) Mon, 11/30/2009 - 17:28

I just realized that Yuko was the writer for one of my favorite comics of all time, Fallen. Do you ever plan on picking it up again?

Good times

Comment by Matty-Tron (not verified) Mon, 11/30/2009 - 21:48

Oh maple syrup shots, I do those with friends at sugar shacks, when the maple syrup was free! We turned it into a competition, whoever could down the most maple syrup won. We were all completly sick afterwards, but it was worth it.

Yeah, we're that cool.

Shots of Other Things

Comment by Anari (not verified) Tue, 12/01/2009 - 00:54

My boyfriend used to do lemon juice shots. He still regrets it.

buffalo shots

Comment by TCC (not verified) Tue, 12/01/2009 - 02:19

yaknow what I like is to do a shot of hot sauce with a little blu cheese to top it off. :P

that's good stuff... :)

ooooohh

Comment by Adam (not verified) Tue, 12/01/2009 - 17:42

Yes. oooooooooh. I have been reading this comment for a while now, and this one I just had to comment on. I haven't taken shots of any of those, but I will have to try the syrup, ketchup, and honey; they all sound great! I haven't ever really filled a shot glass with salt and downed it, but does pouring a lot into your hand and licking it up count?

As to the character design pictures, they look good. I wonder what the surprise is gonna be. Right now I'm thinking animated, but I'm probably wrong.

Yum

Comment by Carter (not verified) Thu, 12/03/2009 - 14:20

Mmmm sugar shots. Man three of them get you hyper for hours!
I did six and I regret nothing!

Hyper? I take sugar shots

Comment by Chuck (not verified) Mon, 12/14/2009 - 02:49

Hyper? I take sugar shots to not pass out.

oh god i'm love

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 12/09/2009 - 01:28

WILL YOU MARRY ME?

although to me you but a fictional character, you seem flawless.

(except for the spicy stuff part - hot sauce and tequila double shots are the best)

I'd SO take a shot of the

Comment by sunshine (not verified) Wed, 12/30/2009 - 19:40

I'd SO take a shot of the maple syrup XD Unfortunately it's too expensive here in Czech:P

Tasty, tasty, shots...

Comment by devin. (not verified) Mon, 01/18/2010 - 02:20

Cinnamon shots. Do it.

SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS! SHOTS!

Comment by Arthur (not verified) Thu, 01/28/2010 - 12:02

I can no longer hear the song "Shots" by LMFAO and Lil Jon without thinking of this strip. And vice versa. They are intimately connected in my mind.

My mom would probably say salt craving is medically interesting

Comment by Betsy ross (not verified) Sat, 05/29/2010 - 11:14

I say to get him to try a shot of miso paste.

Just discovered your awesome comic yesterday and am reading up to the present. I love it.

I take shots of lime

Comment by Hippy Hobbit (not verified) Thu, 09/23/2010 - 11:06

I take shots of lime cordial. I'm sure it can't be good for me, great comic :)

yummyyummyyummy

Comment by Kimberly (not verified) Thu, 10/07/2010 - 09:21

John you're not alone! I love drinking all of those things straight out of the bottle (especially zesty Italian dressing :) )
Yummy :D

More Shots!

Comment by freetalkn657 (not verified) Wed, 10/13/2010 - 22:47

Do a shot of vanilla extract! ....it smells soo delish....

(mwahahaha)

HE SHOULD DO A SHOT OF

Comment by Xandra (not verified) Sat, 12/04/2010 - 06:27

HE SHOULD DO A SHOT OF WASABI!!! Or, y'know, cinnamon, or kitty litter or pickle juice, or shaving cream or something else you come across in your house.

Aww man, I just read some of

Comment by Xandra (not verified) Sat, 12/04/2010 - 06:33

Aww man, I just read some of the comments and they already wrote some of my awesome shots, darn!

I would take shots...

Comment by CRMeyer (not verified) Fri, 01/14/2011 - 03:52

Except for the sugar, and salt.. maybe the maple syrup and honey...

I just don't like really sweet things. I'm more of a sour/cinnamon type of guy.

Checklist

Comment by MoreKilmer (not verified) Sat, 01/22/2011 - 18:14

Has also taken a / multiple shot/s of: sugar, salt, honey, maple syrup, soy sauce, barbeque sauce, and salad dressing. Ketchup and vinegar is where I draw the line, but a shot of teriyaki sounds really tasty right now...

I tried to drink marshmallow paste once. It didn't work out.

what's funny is that I've

Comment by Den (not verified) Wed, 06/15/2011 - 22:19

what's funny is that I've done most of those as shots myself.

Soy sauce, salad dressing, ketchup, teriyaki, honey, sugar, balsamic vinegar... I've also done shots of wasabi and soy sauce... Lemon juice.... and apple cider vinegar...