Delilah & The Basilisk

Delilah & The Basilisk

Tue, 12/01/2009 - 21:40 by Ananth in response to delilah and the basilisk 1

This is the beginning of a short called Delilah & The Basilisk! We hope you enjoy it! We were getting the itch to do some more fiction.

Our big crunch time just ended (I think), so hopefully things will get to normal around here! We'll do our best to start doing those midnight posts again ... always feel bad when we fall off the horse.

Alluded to his before - we're doing PaleontoLOLgy shirts! Waiting for our printer to ship them to us - we'll keep you posted on when that is. Here's the thing about PaleontoLOLgy - it's a new version of the ZooLOLgy concept, but with some beloved prehistoric animals instead. In my mind, not much of a change. We didn't want to do another LOLology tee if it was going to be super similar, so we went the extra mile and upped the ante this time around - with glow! If you wear this shirt and step into the dark, the fossil record reveals itself:

In the light:

In the dark:

We're SO excited about this design and we hope you are too! Yuko has drawn the skeletons incredibly accurately, so science lovers should be quite happy. We'll be putting these up for sale AS SOON as we get them in - holiday shipping deadlines will be determined once we get them in.

See you guys Thursday!

Comments

GASP

Comment by Joy (not verified) Tue, 12/01/2009 - 21:53

Oh my...

I may have to get this...it would be the envy of everyone in the biology department...

Also..love the style in this new short, very nice.

Comment by darrylayo (not verified) Tue, 12/01/2009 - 21:59

Seeing-eye monsters! Versus a blind girl? This is a one-way street up my alley!

I like the smaller panel style of this page, I'm guessing this story will be more densely packed than the previous fiction work(?)

For sure! The layout is

Comment by Ananth Tue, 12/01/2009 - 22:03

For sure! The layout is static this time around, i.e. 12 panels per page. :) The last page might be an exception!

Comment by katt (not verified) Tue, 12/01/2009 - 22:18

for both the strip and the shirt!! I love the glow in the dark skeletons :D

Delilah and the Basilisk sounds like a band name, btw.

Yay fiction strips!

GLOW IN THE DARK!!

Comment by Chris D. (not verified) Tue, 12/01/2009 - 22:28

Awesome...Roflopithecus is...inspired too.

I'm gonna have to get one of those now

AHHH!

Comment by mugsi (not verified) Tue, 12/01/2009 - 22:37

zohmagourd - I can't wait for the shirt!

-and I totally read the title as "Delilah & the Basket," which while I'm sure with yous twos at the helm would have been excellent, basilisk sounds much more exciting XD

Dang, you're too kind!

Comment by Ananth Tue, 12/01/2009 - 23:21

Dang, you're too kind! Thanks! :D

OH MY GOD I WANT THIS SHIRT

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 12/01/2009 - 22:38

OH MY GOD I WANT THIS SHIRT SO BAD

Say...

Comment by Matt (not verified) Tue, 12/01/2009 - 22:46

What's with you guys and the morbidly adorable? Not that I'm complaining or anything. Looking forward to how this plays out!

Hah! We hadn't realized this

Comment by Ananth Tue, 12/01/2009 - 23:25

Hah! We hadn't realized this to be the case, but yeah ... I think we might be guilty as charged.

I am super excited for this

Comment by Jordan (not verified) Tue, 12/01/2009 - 22:46

I am super excited for this new story, but my whole world right now is a girly grin and a squeal of, "Dino~saurs!" I will totally be getting this shirt when it becomes available.

I missed out on getting the

Comment by Vary Sad Shirt Lover (not verified) Tue, 12/01/2009 - 22:53

I missed out on getting the first LOL shirt and i'm hoping to get this one but will you ever remake the first one in all sizes agian ?

We're not sure -- it depends

Comment by Ananth Tue, 12/01/2009 - 23:26

We're not sure -- it depends on how well shirt sales go this holiday season, I suppose? We'll definitely mention it!

I would love for you to

Comment by emifail (not verified) Sat, 01/15/2011 - 22:38

I would love for you to remake the first one!

OMG I WANT THAT SHIRT.

Comment by Ehmay (not verified) Tue, 12/01/2009 - 22:59

OMG I WANT THAT SHIRT.

Awesome shirt!

Comment by Richard (not verified) Tue, 12/01/2009 - 23:03

I don't think I've ever seen glow in the dark used to such nifty effect.

Thanks! :D

Comment by Ananth Tue, 12/01/2009 - 23:29

Thanks! :D

Indy comics FTW!

Comment by Ellie (not verified) Tue, 12/01/2009 - 23:17

I just love Yuko's style with this comic. This would be right at home in some sort of artsy, full-color, independently published compilation of comics!*

If your next storyarc is done without any dialogue, the Eisner is as good as yours!

*i.e. FLIGHT!

Gotta ask

Comment by Aleks (not verified) Tue, 12/01/2009 - 23:55

I love the comic and the shirt, but I can't resist asking...

...isn't that thing a cockatrice?

The two tend to be pretty

Comment by Haggis (not verified) Wed, 12/02/2009 - 00:17

The two tend to be pretty much interchangeable in design and abilities. They probably just went with their favorite version.

Beat me to it!

Comment by Ananth Wed, 12/02/2009 - 01:12

Beat me to it! Interchangeable, for sure. As for the word choice, basilisk just rolls off the tongue so nice.

I think basilisks kill you

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 12/02/2009 - 17:13

I think basilisks kill you if you look into their eyes, while cockatrices turn you to stone.

Or something like that.

Hmmm...

Comment by Joe (not verified) Thu, 12/03/2009 - 01:08

But, between the dark glasses and the white cane, it would appear that Our Hero is incapable of looking into the Basilisk's eyes at all.
Now I'm even more interested in seeing how this story plays out than I was before.

I love the style for this story, by the way. It reminds me of a comic I used to read when I was little, but I can't quite remember which one.

The cockatrice turns people

Comment by Vladimir (not verified) Sat, 12/05/2009 - 20:58

The cockatrice turns people to stone with a touch. The look is the basilisk's ability, but instead of turning them to stone it just straight up kills them.

DUDE!!!

Comment by Robert V Aldrich (not verified) Wed, 12/02/2009 - 00:02

@ Comic - Hurray fiction! I'm all excited to see the basilisk do its thing.

@ PaleontoLOLgy shirts - THAT'S FRICKIN' AWESOME!!! I want one!

Whooooooo

Comment by Ananth Wed, 12/02/2009 - 01:13

Whooooooo

Love the new comic and

Comment by BigWhiteBear18 (not verified) Wed, 12/02/2009 - 00:19

Love the new comic and tshirt. Really wish you would consider making it into a poster.

We're going to do research

Comment by Ananth Wed, 12/02/2009 - 01:14

We're going to do research on posters for this upcoming year! My biggest concern is shipping them - just gotta talk to some folks. :)

Shipping Issues

Comment by Robert V Aldrich (not verified) Wed, 12/02/2009 - 09:53

Two Words: Paper. Airplanes.

Fold the posters up and sail them off the top of your building. If Disney/Christmas movies have taught us anything, it's that flimsy materials thrown haphazardly into the wind invariably find their way to the most deserving of individuals.

HAH! Hahahaha!

Comment by Ananth Wed, 12/02/2009 - 10:48

HAH! Hahahaha!

I love the shirt. I don't

Comment by Haggis (not verified) Wed, 12/02/2009 - 00:22

I love the shirt.

I don't suppose you have 3X sizes planned?

We ordered a couple of 3xs,

Comment by Ananth Wed, 12/02/2009 - 01:15

We ordered a couple of 3xs, yeah! :D

*gasp*

Comment by Joe A. (not verified) Wed, 12/02/2009 - 00:36

Oh my goodness, you guys actually did use my "triLOLbite" idea. I am laughing like a madman at the glow-in-the-dark version of it. I never actually thought of what an arthropod looked like under an x-ray machine.

I am definitely getting this shirt, and heartily second the poster idea.

The trilobite is the one

Comment by Ananth Wed, 12/02/2009 - 01:16

The trilobite is the one that cracks me up as soon as I look at it!

Trilo-eyes

Comment by Softspoken (not verified) Wed, 12/02/2009 - 01:31

It's the gigantic buggy eyeballs that get me.

What I want to know is...

Comment by Joe A. (not verified) Wed, 12/02/2009 - 04:18

What I want to know is... how could it even say LOL in the first place??
All it has for a mouth are little grabbers!

..we need a hypothesis.

Fuzzy Inside

Comment by Joe (not verified) Thu, 12/03/2009 - 01:12

The CoeLOLcanth is the one that makes me happy. I don't remember if I ever said it in the comments, but it definitely crossed my mind when I read the strip.

You guys, this new comic

Comment by Rebecca (not verified) Wed, 12/02/2009 - 01:36

You guys, this new comic looks really good! I love how quirky it is right off the bat. The characters are all delightfully written & illustrated. So much warmth and originality in all of it. love!

Aw, thank you!

Comment by Ananth Wed, 12/02/2009 - 10:50

Aw, thank you!

haw, this new comic looks

Comment by kate (not verified) Wed, 12/02/2009 - 02:03

haw, this new comic looks really..well fun :D I love the sniffing basilisk. He looks real cute <3

I will HAVE one! I gota paypal, got some dosh and one of those shirts will be mine :) Knowing me ill probably be on here everyday seeing if they have been put up for sale.
The glow in the dark thing really is awesome. Ive never seen a good glow in the dark shirt up till now.

Ah yes, the on going

Comment by Samm Neiland (not verified) Wed, 12/02/2009 - 02:04

Ah yes, the on going struggle between young blind children, and the overweight bully children who torture them, and how all their lives are changed by a chicken-lizard beast. Pure literature in the making to be sure <3

Truly a tale for the ages!

Comment by Ananth Wed, 12/02/2009 - 10:52

Truly a tale for the ages!

:D you guys

Comment by yraelis (not verified) Wed, 12/02/2009 - 02:07

are flippin' amazing. One, I'm really freaking happy that you have a basilisk as, yahknow, a bird-like scaly contraption, rather than some huge snake or something. Ridiculously happy.

And two, I think if that shirt only came in that second design, I'd still love it.

<3 major loveage! Love the

Comment by Mali (not verified) Wed, 12/02/2009 - 02:08

<3 major loveage! Love the new story, love the shirt. Definitely buying it as fast as they get in store <3

Woo~!

Comment by Ananth Wed, 12/02/2009 - 10:52

Woo~!

tyROFLsaurus rex

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 12/02/2009 - 05:52

tyROFLsaurus rex

A Little Birdie

Comment by A.L. (not verified) Wed, 12/02/2009 - 06:00

I always thought a basilisk was abit more reptilian,but then I remember that it also is associated with cockatrices.Anyway,looking forward to this short story,if it's anything like the last one it should be quite interesting.

Oh cool, the Basilisk looks

Comment by profuturo (not verified) Wed, 12/02/2009 - 08:17

Oh cool, the Basilisk looks like the ones from Witcher :D

Basilisk vs medusa

Comment by Cowdog (not verified) Wed, 12/02/2009 - 08:22

Isn't this kind of a variation of the story where a blind man meets a medusa at a subway stop, they talk for awhile, then eventually fall in love?

I'm actually not aware of

Comment by Ananth Wed, 12/02/2009 - 10:53

I'm actually not aware of that story! Is there a particular name that I can use to look it up with? "blind man falls in love with medusa" didn't bring up anything relevant.