Mouse Trap!

Mouse Trap!

Tue, 12/29/2009 - 19:55 by Ananth in response to inept baby mouse

Unlike all the mice in our past experience, this one in particular was pretty docile and friendly. Yuko told me over the phone that the mouse was "60% head" and she speculated that it was probably a baby.

When we lived at Spacklehaus, there was a definite mouse problem. We tried a lot of traps, including glue traps which turned out to be pretty cruel. In the end we chased the mice down with colanders and released them into the wild - it started as a chore and became a kind of challenge. Conrad and I got pretty good at it.

I thought of Mouse Trap and got a little nostalgic, but then I remembered that it was the worst game ever.

I've got a question for you! Prior to inking a comic, Yuko typically does an ink test - to get the ink flowing on the brush properly. She usually does them on the corner or margin of some page that is 80% full already, but guys ... they look really nice. We're wondering, if she were to start doing these ink tests on artist trading cards (2.5" x 3.5" on bristol), would you guys and gals be interested in purchasing them? Each would be one-of-a-kind, and the content would range from our own characters (present and future projects) to renditions of other works (she just inked a picture of Lockheed from the X-Men). Let us know what you think!

We're still away from home for the holidays. I'm writing this from Yuko's parents' basement while Yuko inks -- she is waving hello. Hope your holiday was nice! Ours was full of good times and junk food. See you Thursday!

Comments

Ohhh! Adorable!

Comment by GBeans (not verified) Tue, 12/29/2009 - 20:06

Ohhh! Adorable! Adorable!
Where did it end up?

In the backyard, roaming

Comment by Ananth Wed, 12/30/2009 - 13:25

In the backyard, roaming free. Yuko is not super optimistic of the outcome, but I like to think he became King of the Forest.

Its really adorable

Comment by expedite afghan visa (not verified) Sat, 11/27/2010 - 00:46

Its really adorable I also agree with you friend Recently I came to know of your blog & I liked to read this one.

i agree with the above

Comment by kimono bjj (not verified) Thu, 04/21/2011 - 02:05

i agree with the above commentator it really adorable. I always like to read your post. This one is really awesome. Thanks for the share.

Heck yea! I would totally

Comment by Mitch (not verified) Tue, 12/29/2009 - 20:07

Heck yea! I would totally get some of those. My work space needs more art.

Whoo!

Comment by Ananth Wed, 12/30/2009 - 13:26

Whoo!

Dude. I would totally buy a

Comment by Nifar (not verified) Thu, 12/31/2009 - 11:33

Dude. I would totally buy a Lockheed inktest done by Yuko. Y'know, If I had money.

Go for it!

Comment by Matt B. (not verified) Tue, 12/29/2009 - 20:07

Sounds like a mix between those capsule toys and commissioned artwork, and everyone loves those capsule toys! I say go for it. Certainly wouldn't hurt!

OMG

Comment by Eto (not verified) Tue, 12/29/2009 - 20:08

Holy dang I think that is the cutest baby mouse I have EVER seen D: I really commend you guys for being so nice to always release your unwelcome visitors back where they belong. I would've been tempted to keep him he's so cute. ;_;

Also I would totally buy artist cards! :D Hope you guys had a rockin' holiday!

Yo! First time commenter,

Comment by Skye (not verified) Tue, 12/29/2009 - 20:08

Yo! First time commenter, long time lurker here...

Just sneaking in to say "Heck yes!" to the idea of "Ink test" "trading cards" going up for sale. I know i'd buy at least one.

... Though "Ink Test Trading Cards" sounds rather odd.

Hope you both, and your families, have a great new years!
[Recommence lurking... now. Maybe.]

...Replying to myself to

Comment by Skye (not verified) Tue, 12/29/2009 - 20:09

...Replying to myself to add:
That baby mouse IS adorable. What are you feeding it / Have you set it free? =O

Ink test trading cards? ...

Comment by Rachelle (not verified) Wed, 12/30/2009 - 11:41

Ink test trading cards? ... Like pokemon or magic cards... XD that would be awesome! I'm imagining cards like "fire toaster" and "superbowl deathmatch" haha no but really ink test cards would be cool :D

Agree

Comment by Lancer2010 (not verified) Wed, 12/30/2009 - 17:05

I agree, I would totally like to use the cards to play something like Magic. It would be sweet.

Response to question: VERY

Comment by Sethers (not verified) Tue, 12/29/2009 - 20:26

Response to question: VERY YES.

First time commenter~

Comment by mon0zuki (not verified) Tue, 12/29/2009 - 20:27

I'd totally be into some of Yuko's ink tests - she could even do larger/more formal prints and sell them for more if she felt like it. I'd love to have some of her work to hang about (or maybe frame!).

Also, that mouse is adorable! Definitely a baby. Are you guys planning on keeping it?

There are some artist's

Comment by Ananth Wed, 12/30/2009 - 13:27

There are some artist's training cards that she's already done that are full-on watercolor ... we'll probably put those up as well, at some point, and we might make prints out of them too.

Nah, Yuko put it in the backyard ... a pet mouse would be tough, especially with Mika and Gonta around the house. It'd be like a meal in a jar. ):

Eh... Yes!

Comment by Jonathan Day (not verified) Tue, 12/29/2009 - 20:38

I would totally love to have a tiny framed piece of Yuko awesomeness. Please please please do it!

Awesome!

Comment by Ananth Wed, 12/30/2009 - 13:27

Awesome!

SO CUTE

Comment by Hilary (not verified) Tue, 12/29/2009 - 20:39

That is the cutest animal I have seen in a while! We have mice beneath our floorboards, I sleep on a futon on the floor and can hear them scratching about at night. It's both unsettling and comforting, somehow. I might investigate and see if I can rustle up some cute ones.
I'd love to buy an ink test or two, but it really depends on how much they'd cost, as I am a poor college student. It sounds like something lovely to prop up around my desk/bookshelf!

We're not sure about the

Comment by Ananth Wed, 12/30/2009 - 13:29

We're not sure about the cost ... we're going to talk it over and see! Details forthcoming, I should say.

You have cats, yes? Or there

Comment by Less cute now. (not verified) Tue, 12/29/2009 - 20:47

You have cats, yes? Or there were cats in the house?

Toxoplasma Gondii?

D: omg how weird. i was just

Comment by goobles (not verified) Wed, 12/30/2009 - 04:46

D: omg how weird.
i was just looking up toxoplasma gondii about 10 minutes before logging onto this site.
+_+;

o well
back to lurking >_>

This had crossed my mind. D:

Comment by Ananth Wed, 12/30/2009 - 13:29

This had crossed my mind. D: I hope not!

Ink Test

Comment by Evan (not verified) Tue, 12/29/2009 - 20:52

I think that would be pretty awesome.

Ohmigosh!

Comment by Bethany (not verified) Tue, 12/29/2009 - 20:53

It's like you caught Despereaux.
If I weren't so broke, I would totally buy ink test cards.

Cockroaches...

Comment by C.D. Reimer (not verified) Tue, 12/29/2009 - 21:02

I lived in an apartment that had cockroaches on the ground floor. My roommates developed homicidal tendencies by turning on the lights and whacking the cockroaches off the wall with rolled up newspapers.

Ink tests for sale?! Yes!

Comment by Lori (not verified) Tue, 12/29/2009 - 21:17

Ink tests for sale?! Yes!

And I love today's comic, it's filled with extra adorable <3

The mouse is super cute both

Comment by Ananth Wed, 12/30/2009 - 13:30

The mouse is super cute both in real life and illustration ... !

Cool

Comment by Michael Joel (not verified) Tue, 12/29/2009 - 21:31

I would personally love some of the ink test artist trading cards. Also, to go along with everyone else's questions, did you keep the baby mouse or did you set it free?

Well...

Comment by Kosciej (not verified) Tue, 12/29/2009 - 21:48

...what do you think was for dinner that night? They're starving artists, after all.

OO

Comment by Michael Joel (not verified) Thu, 12/31/2009 - 10:19

Dude, I don't think it has enough meat on its bones. Plus, it's 60% head according to Yuko.

Cute Overload

Comment by Matt (not verified) Tue, 12/29/2009 - 21:37

You guys might want to send this photo in at cuteoverload.com!

Ahaha, that's a good idea

Comment by Ananth Wed, 12/30/2009 - 13:32

Ahaha, that's a good idea ... !

Art Cards

Comment by Kosciej (not verified) Tue, 12/29/2009 - 21:47

Oh, I would totally buy a couple. Everyone loves my Mawzantine shirt.

Whoo! I think that might be

Comment by Ananth Wed, 12/30/2009 - 13:33

Whoo! I think that might be my favorite JW design so far.

I would want them! and

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 12/29/2009 - 22:19

I would want them! and yessum it's a baby mouse.

Baby Mouse

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 12/29/2009 - 23:18

I kind of hope you didn't release it...it looks too small to be able to take care of itself. Case in point, walking into a jar.

I think the artist trading

Comment by lostbook (not verified) Tue, 12/29/2009 - 23:43

I think the artist trading cards thing would be really cool!

I would totally buy an ink

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 12/29/2009 - 23:46

I would totally buy an ink test! That is a capital idea.

Haha, that sounds like a

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 12/29/2009 - 23:55

Haha, that sounds like a great idea so long as she doesn't start ink testing the ink tests :)

Yes! I am starting to

Comment by Sam (not verified) Wed, 12/30/2009 - 00:17

Yes! I am starting to collect* small original art so something like this would be perfect. :)

*Finally have steady income of a sort.

cutest. vermin. EVAR.

Comment by Adam M (not verified) Wed, 12/30/2009 - 00:21

That is all.

Thanks for sharing the

Comment by large playing cards (not verified) Fri, 04/08/2011 - 05:40

Thanks for sharing the post...

Maybe!

Comment by ladymercury (not verified) Wed, 12/30/2009 - 00:59

You guys should put up a few scans of the ink tests, we'd like to see.

And D'AWW BABY MOUSE.

Absolutely! I'll likely put

Comment by Ananth Wed, 12/30/2009 - 13:34

Absolutely! I'll likely put them up with the next update, or next week. We're just away from home and thus unable to access all of our things. Thanks for the suggestion!

Aidoarts, y/y?

Comment by Elizabeth B (not verified) Wed, 12/30/2009 - 01:09

I would buy any Aido original art card I could get my hands on. Though they're called ACEOs (art card ... uh... edition ... original? something like that) rather than ATCs if they're not being traded or given away.

As for the mouse, I am now ded from cute.

Ah! I was unaware of the

Comment by Ananth Wed, 12/30/2009 - 13:34

Ah! I was unaware of the terminology! Apparently there is a subculture of art card trading? I am not so up on it ...

Si, si. I have not access to

Comment by Linners (not verified) Wed, 12/30/2009 - 19:58

Si, si. I have not access to a printer, so I make ACEO's, not ATC's. XD

The trades that I've gone to, people liked ACEO's better anyway.

By the way, the Maw figures

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 12/30/2009 - 01:13

By the way, the Maw figures should be shipping soon

(credit card was charged for it, and they only charge once things start shipping)

Some of them have already

Comment by Ananth Wed, 12/30/2009 - 13:40

Some of them have already shipped! We've gotten some photos from happy people:

Shipping is really in the hands of Patchtogether, but I presume yours will be arriving shortly!