Ink tests!

Ink tests!

Thu, 12/31/2009 - 13:42 by Ananth in response to inept baby mouse II

Hey guys! Today is kind of a busy day, so I'm making this pretty quick: here are the ink test examples you requested! Each figure is one ink test, so here are a bunch:

Some of them seem a little messy because of residual pencils - the ink tests in the store would all be clean like the majority above. There's Lockheed in the bottom right! Violin fox is probably my favorite.

We're also thinking about adding some originals to the store. These are spectacular in person, and we'd mail them to you pre-framed. Here's a look at two examples (keep in mind, they're also on artist trading cards i.e. 2.5" x 3.5"):

The scans actually came out pretty well, but the colors are even more vibrant in person. Both of these were done in watercolor and acrylic washes. The characters on the right are from a book that we planned for a solid two years - it's currently shelved while we finish the book we're working on, but it'll likely see the light of day sooner rather than later.

We'll give the ink test sales a shot in the next week or two!

Have a happy new year, by the way! We'll see you next year. ;)

Comments

i'd totally pay for some

Comment by DisposablePal (not verified) Thu, 12/31/2009 - 13:46

i'd totally pay for some pre-framed stuff and the ink tests. My favorite is the giraffe drinking tea. Today's comic is almost cut overload, i love Yuko's jacket, it reminds me of Terry Bogard.

Tea Giraffe is my favorite,

Comment by Steph (not verified) Thu, 12/31/2009 - 16:39

Tea Giraffe is my favorite, too. I would totally buy that.

Swimmin' in the rain, just swiiimmin' in the rain!

Comment by Softspoken (not verified) Thu, 12/31/2009 - 13:50

Swimsuit in the rain is a great idea, and is unusual and sensible at the same time!

Also, the "Give it to the cats" line... Was that John? It seems like his kind of intense statement. (THE LIBRARY)

Haha, it was Yuko's Dad,

Comment by Ananth Thu, 12/31/2009 - 14:41

Haha, it was Yuko's Dad, which you'll recall from these comics.

Heh, the text should have

Comment by Joe (not verified) Fri, 01/01/2010 - 01:07

Heh, the text should have given it away. He speaks in a very distinct, um, font.

Who said to drown it?!

I want the Loch Ness monster

Comment by Celynnen (not verified) Thu, 12/31/2009 - 13:51

I want the Loch Ness monster one on a t-shirt!

Seconded

Comment by b4k4-san (not verified) Thu, 12/31/2009 - 14:05

As would I

aw, sweet!

Comment by origamibunny (not verified) Thu, 12/31/2009 - 13:53

those ink tests are awesome. i feel really dumb now for just doing smear things for my ink tests... and also that painting of the (swimming dinosaur i can't name) makes me feel warm and fuzzy every time i see it. if my card allowed internet money stuff, i'd totally buy it (or at least a print of it)

also YAY happy end for the mouse <3

Happy Ending!

Comment by b4k4-san (not verified) Thu, 12/31/2009 - 14:07

Also, I love that cerberus-type thing for the ink tests. Also possible new idea: MythLOLogy, but I don't know how many there'd be for that one.....ok, so it was a bad idea. Please don't hurt me XD

I'd totally dig mythLOLogy

Comment by DaHobo (not verified) Mon, 01/04/2010 - 15:56

...chiefly, the vrykoLOLkas.

or maybe LOLdon?

Comment by DaHobo (not verified) Mon, 01/04/2010 - 16:10

or maybe LOLdon?

Monies will be paid

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 12/31/2009 - 14:08

I will totally pay so much money for these.
Did yuko reall turn the jar into a house for him? I totally thought that today's comic would be of him becoming king of the forest.

.... those ink

Comment by Nyxity (not verified) Thu, 12/31/2009 - 15:21

....

those ink tests.

they're the cutest thing i've seen in a LONG time o-o;

I love Yuko's expressions

Comment by Jei (not verified) Thu, 12/31/2009 - 17:29

I love Yuko's expressions and the cats' keen interest in the second panel!

Nessie + kitty on a pajama top/oversized t-shirt would be amaaazing. :D

I kinda think the mouse

Comment by Jingseng (not verified) Thu, 12/31/2009 - 21:03

I kinda think the mouse could take on Gonta though =x

FRET

!

Comment by Joe D. (not verified) Thu, 12/31/2009 - 17:30

Remember to go get your pretzel jar back at some point.

Little wild mousies belong

Comment by Reynard (not verified) Thu, 12/31/2009 - 19:37

Little wild mousies belong outside.

Violin Fox!

Comment by Trae (not verified) Thu, 12/31/2009 - 19:50

I love the violin-playing fox, but it bothers me how inaccurate it is. You play the violin on your left shoulder, not your right.
Sorry to nitpick, but I had to!
Either way, the ink tests look great. I would pay for one, if I had money. My favorite is the girl in center; her pose is very well done.

Really? What if the person

Comment by Lau (not verified) Sat, 01/02/2010 - 14:39

Really? What if the person playing the violin is left-handed...? Or does that not matter?

Interesting tidbit, either way. I learned something new today.

It doesn't matter...I

Comment by Kinami (not verified) Sat, 01/02/2010 - 16:26

It doesn't matter...I started playing the violin when I was younger, and wanted to play on the opposite side, but they're built so that you can only really use them one way. There's a chin rest and stuff.

Interesting! Things I didn't

Comment by Ananth Sat, 01/02/2010 - 22:27

Interesting! Things I didn't know.

Aww!

Comment by Sharra (not verified) Thu, 12/31/2009 - 20:24

OMG I WANT NESSIE!!

::wantwantwant::

Also I've been in the mouse situation. I did the same thing. ^_^;;

I love love love the Nessie

Comment by Kei22 (not verified) Thu, 12/31/2009 - 20:53

I love love love the Nessie with the cat curled on her back! I saw it in your 12 month year in review art piece and wanted to see the whole image! It's really nice. <3

these are absolutely

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 12/31/2009 - 22:16

these are absolutely fantastic. amazing.

Violin fox! How

Comment by Rayna (not verified) Thu, 12/31/2009 - 23:32

Violin fox! How adorable!

Also, especially love the colors in the left painting. I am such a sucker for watercolor as I can't decently paint with that medium to save my life. :|a

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Comment by Glecho (not verified) Fri, 01/01/2010 - 00:17

It's 12:05 here and I want to wish everyone at Johnny Wander a Happy New year!

Happy new year to you too!

Comment by Ananth Sat, 01/02/2010 - 22:28

Happy new year to you too!

My dad is just like this.

Comment by grnppr (not verified) Fri, 01/01/2010 - 01:54

He uses the glue traps and everything whenever there is a mice problem. One night I woke up to a screaming mouse caught in one of those instant-kill snap traps. I was too chicken to end its misery, so I asked my dad to do it. He used pliers. D: There is something about asian dads and indifference to rodents.

Not shy with stating your racial stereotypes are you?

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 01/01/2010 - 22:56

Not shy with stating your racial stereotypes are you?

You're making something out

Comment by Ananth Sat, 01/02/2010 - 01:17

You're making something out of nothing.

Really?

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 01/02/2010 - 10:54

"There is something about asian dads and indifference to rodents."

I think it's a little

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 01/02/2010 - 14:41

I think it's a little different when you are talking about your own Asian dad, thus making you a part of that pool.

Nice try at taking up a faux cause, better luck next time.

We'll just agree to

Comment by Ananth Sat, 01/02/2010 - 22:18

We'll just agree to disagree.

Awesome

Comment by Zsy (not verified) Fri, 01/01/2010 - 02:35

Yuko, you're my hero.

Happy New Year

Comment by Daniel (not verified) Fri, 01/01/2010 - 02:57

Hey, Ananth, Yuko, and everyone else in the Johnny Wander crew: I'd like to wish you a Happy Gregorian New Year. I hope the coming year sees all of you (and all of your loved ones) safe and healthy, and that your artistic and other endeavors are successful.

Additionally, the ink tests are a great idea (Maybe even doing one signed original, and a small run of popular ink tests may be an idea?) as are the originals. What sort of price point where you guys thinking of?

The same to you! Thanks for

Comment by Ananth Sat, 01/02/2010 - 22:29

The same to you! Thanks for the well wishes, happy new year!

Nice

Comment by King_Bahamut (not verified) Fri, 01/01/2010 - 05:35

Yuko seems very kind, I especially liked her reaction to the give it to the cats suggestion. Here is to another great year, and wishes of good health to all.

MAWS

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 01/01/2010 - 05:40

Hi..um,
Happy New Year.
2010 has a nice ring to it.
So, I LOVE your Maws and I saw a bird that looks a bit like it. No tongue on its neck but it is three times the size of a normal bird and is is completely black even its beak but has a white stripe around its neck and looks as if its a smiling Maw. I keep expecting a long pink tongue to pop out.Did you use this as a reference?I'm in South Africa and 2010 means FIFA SOCCER WORLD CUP!
I love you comics.

terrible yellow eyes

Comment by Jess (not verified) Fri, 01/01/2010 - 09:09

Gonta wants the mouse real bad haha

Awww....I wanted to keep it

Comment by Tigerbitten (not verified) Fri, 01/01/2010 - 13:46

Awww....I wanted to keep it T_T

But releasing it is good too! Lets hope it lives long and tell its grandmice about its jar adventure :)

Godspeed in the big scary

Comment by Jim (not verified) Fri, 01/01/2010 - 14:01

Godspeed in the big scary world, tiny mouse.

That mouse...?

Comment by SBKT (not verified) Fri, 01/01/2010 - 14:14

May really have been a vole. When I lived up north, that's all there was. http://www.naturephoto-cz.com/photos/andera/bank-vole-13043.jpg
Note that there's more than one kind of vole.

Yuko mentioned your comment

Comment by Ananth Sat, 01/02/2010 - 22:22

Yuko mentioned your comment to be over the phone, so I hopped online to read it. Oh man! He's a cute little guy. A vole, could be ... !

I've been obsessively

Comment by Sheika (not verified) Fri, 01/01/2010 - 14:45

I've been obsessively checking the store since you guys mentioned possibly selling those ink tests! They're awesome and I would definitely love to own one (or two...or three....)

Loving the comic. Poor mousey. I've always been told that mice should be killed right away to prevent an infestation....but its heartbreaking.

Sheika

:D

Comment by SorenDiz (not verified) Fri, 01/01/2010 - 19:29

CUTE MOUSE PART 2! <3
Also, HAPPY NEW YEAR ANANTH, YUKO, AND EVERYONE ELSE!
many happy wishes all around. :D

Shoulda kept it.

Comment by last blade (not verified) Sat, 01/02/2010 - 00:14

...and named him "Noggin's McHeaddy".
call him Nogs for short.
and dress him up like a little Maw for Halloween.

Give it to the cats....

Comment by Cowdog (not verified) Sat, 01/02/2010 - 05:01

Gonta would probably run from the mouse in abject terror. XD

Hahaha!

Comment by Ananth Sat, 01/02/2010 - 22:25

Hahaha!

Inquisition

Comment by Ron (not verified) Sat, 01/02/2010 - 08:47

And just who were jerkypants who suggested drowning it and turning it into a cat toy?!

Yeah, uh, since you released

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 01/02/2010 - 08:50

Yeah, uh, since you released that outside, it's been eaten messily by something. Might as well have given it to the cats. If you care about it, why not keep it?