Premiering in Shonen Jump

Premiering in Shonen Jump

Tue, 01/05/2010 - 18:19 by Ananth in response to speeed liiines

Speed lines, awww yeah.

Hope everyone had a great holiday and New Year! I took a trip home to DC to visit some friends, my brother visited, and then a bunch of friends came up for New Years ... we threw a party and I'm sure I'll get some comics out of that. A lot of folks from Rochester visited, included Conrad's lady Rachelle, who is pretty ace and previously appeared here, eating bacon in a manner that can only be called adorable.

Yuko does a lot of everyday things very pretty and with a great sense of aesthetic - I know there are plenty of folks who can spiral-peel a clementine, but I can't, so I wrote a comic about it. Apparently Yuko perfected her technique over the course of months (years?) during her childhood. Other things she does nicely: fold up the sleeve chopsticks come in and wrap presents. Oh and she draws or something? Do you guys know anything about that?

For Christmas Yuko got the manga Oishinbo from her parents. It's about cooking, and has been running overseas since 1983. There are over one hundred volumes in print in Japan! The English version is published by Viz, and organizes stories by type of food or cooking (the two Yuko has are Ramen & Gyoza and Sashimi). I'm most of the way through one of them. Oishinbo is light-hearted and centers on the love of food, often times with the subplot rivalry between the protagonist, a culinary journalist, and his gourmand father over the ULTIMATE MENU PROJECT (I'm not making that up). The downside is that because this is a selection of stories there are jumps in certain subplots, most notably some very drastic leaps in the main romantic thread. Sucks, but these books really seem as though they've been packaged to appeal to foodies, and it's cool to see Viz feeling out other markets. If someone in your life is curious but unsure about comics and has a real passion for food, this might be a nice segue to bring comics into their heart (stomach).

Also, I should warn you - prepare to get really hungry.

On a side note, I'm committing to having an ink test(s) in the store to go along with Thursday's update. And any orders we've gotten since the New Year will be out by the end of the week, and then we'll be back to our normal shipping schedule. Thanks for your patience!

Comments

Whoa, Giant Robot as in the

Comment by Ananth Wed, 01/06/2010 - 15:14

Whoa, Giant Robot as in the mag Giant Robot? Is it the NYC store?

I didn't know there was one on Rice, that's sweet. I came across the Sake book, but I haven't had a chance to flip through it.

Yes, that GR

Comment by Abby (not verified) Wed, 01/13/2010 - 23:27

Yeah they have a few retail stores -- I work in the OG stores in West LA (GR1/GR2) :D I'm moving to NY in March but unfortunately not moving to that store.

Check the rest of Oishinbo out!! It's on my Amazon wishlist!

this comic should have been:

Comment by Rachelle (not verified) Wed, 01/06/2010 - 13:24

this comic should have been: MEATBALL SHOE

Avast Ye!

Comment by Steve (not verified) Thu, 01/07/2010 - 15:30

SPOILERS.

Another thing you can do with the peel

Comment by Topher (not verified) Wed, 01/06/2010 - 15:29

One of my math-major friends told me about this:

After you peel the clementine like Yuko does, lay it flat on the table. It should make a perfect integral sign.

Just food for thought.

Oh god, that comic...I love

Comment by Kittymaverick (not verified) Wed, 01/06/2010 - 20:42

Oh god, that comic...I love it for the food, definitely...Despite being vegetarian now XD

...Oh man...I'm hungry just thinking about it ><...

I can totally peel

Comment by Jessica Lee (not verified) Thu, 01/07/2010 - 00:59

I can totally peel clementines that way - it's the best thing ever! I'm sorry you can't experience the joy, Ananth!

dork alert

Comment by Fraoch (not verified) Thu, 01/07/2010 - 03:13

Actually there is a new culinary-themed manga in Jump called 'Toriko' about a rare food hunter. It looks like an older series but it has the classic shonen weirdness we know and love *nerd*

I fail miserably at decorative orange-peeling, so I stick to satsumas. Just tear off the loose skins and devour :P

Lucky Star

Comment by Softspoken (not verified) Thu, 01/07/2010 - 03:33

I can now imagine Yuko appearing on Lucky Star. Because this is the sort of pressing issue that show needs to address.

went to the post office

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 01/07/2010 - 04:58

went to the post office today and found........ 3-D dinousaur stamps. thinking of you guys

The Fruits of Knowledge

Comment by Bashful (not verified) Thu, 01/07/2010 - 07:43

I too independently discovered said technique, and it is largely responsible for my amazing and wonderful girlfriend. I guess epic relationships are all deeply based on a profound love of speed lines (and doom lines)?

Hehehe! Hooray! Yuko peels

Comment by Olivia (not verified) Thu, 01/07/2010 - 13:42

Hehehe! Hooray! Yuko peels citrus like me! It IS hard, though. Oranges especially...
I've thoroughly enjoyed reading through your archive. Thanks for sharing your daily antics with us! ^_^

I had a clementine the other

Comment by Ashwara (not verified) Thu, 01/07/2010 - 14:36

I had a clementine the other day and it was delicious. ( ´ ▽ ` )

By the way, I love this comic and so I linked it from my own. Hurrah, hurrah. Keep up the great work!

That's not nearly as bizarre

Comment by Keyaroscuro (not verified) Thu, 01/07/2010 - 17:17

That's not nearly as bizarre as my best friend. She walked around Disneyland with an orange every morning we were there, but instead of doing spirals like the day before, she carved out perfect circles all over it, then made a slit, ate the orange out of it, and carried around the shell like a squishy orange whiffle ball.

Fruit is fun.

And that's my random post for the day.

Peel it!

Comment by Corrin (not verified) Thu, 01/07/2010 - 17:38

Sweet, I gotta learn how to do that! I told my friends about it :)

Technique

Comment by Nate (not verified) Thu, 01/07/2010 - 19:00

I did this last night, and despite having large fingers, got it in three bits. Today when I tried it, it was two. My first time trying was last night, too

:O

Comment by crmsonbyrd (not verified) Thu, 01/07/2010 - 19:11

Hey, I peel my clementines like that too!

STORY TIEM
So I always fold my chopstick sleeve into a little chopstick holder, and I was at this buffet once where they had sushi. So I made my little chopstick holder, and when I finished my plate, put the chopsticks on it, and got up to get more food. When they cleared my plate, they actually /picked up my chopsticks/, that were obviously resting on the thing that was obviously meant for holding them, and took it to throw away! I was distraught!

I mean
really.
who does that?

I usualy peel those fruits

Comment by Jukka (not verified) Fri, 01/08/2010 - 03:06

I usualy peel those fruits that it looks like penis and balls...

Comment by Shauna (not verified) Fri, 01/08/2010 - 18:01

I peel clementines the same way. :D
It really does impress people that much. And it makes cleaning up the peel much easier.

I just have to refute the

Comment by Jaarx (not verified) Wed, 01/13/2010 - 10:35

I just have to refute the ultimate technique for peeling tangerines: If you puncture at the "equator" of the tangerine i.e. half-way between the two ends, and peel a strip all the way around the tangerine along the "equator" until about 2 cm left before you hit where you started peeling, and then peel apart the two "halves" of the skin left, then you not only have the skin in one piece, you've also resulted in skin that faintly resembles a Mutalisk. :D

Note that this technique can also be applied to lychee, longan, and rambutan for you Asia-philes.

a-peeling

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 01/20/2010 - 12:11

I have recently taken to peeling my clementines in this manner...something tells me it's still not as pretty as when Yuko does it XD

We got two whole boxes of mandarin oranges from our vendor...

Comment by T-Boy (not verified) Tue, 02/09/2010 - 05:05

...and I was happily peeling them to eat when I remembered Yuko's technique.

Got it in one, even though the peel fell apart after I finished. Oh, well.

Nice way of motivating me to eat more oranges, though.

Ah ha!

Comment by Mitch (not verified) Wed, 02/17/2010 - 15:04

I just got a big old box of clementines, and I've been scratching at them like a crazy person to get into the inside. Then today, as I sat down for lunch I thought, Didn't JW have a comic about this....so I found this, looked it over and gave it a try! Ha haaa! It works wonderfully. Mines a bit messy, not a pretty spiral like that, but it worked pretty well :D Thanks for this one!

Oishinbo is THE

Comment by Euqinom (not verified) Wed, 05/19/2010 - 12:52

Oishinbo is THE best!!
lovelovelove =3

Oishinbo

Comment by Luke (not verified) Wed, 06/23/2010 - 13:21

Oishinbo rocks! Though, I've only read the sake book...

HOHO! Someone else does

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 06/25/2010 - 16:09

HOHO! Someone else does this!

It makes an S when you lay it flat. :3 It's my first initial, soooooooooo.... yup. XD

I did this.

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sat, 07/24/2010 - 17:32

I did this at a party once after I read this comic. A girl was having trouble opening an orange, so I offered to help. I got on the first try, and everyone was stoked. But I hadn't slept the night before and was to groggy to enjoy it.

easy

Comment by Jety Lefr (not verified) Wed, 03/23/2011 - 17:56

it's really not that difficult. I do it with grapefruits too. My way's slightly different though. halfway down the fruit, I switch the direction of peeling.

:D

Comment by Nessa (not verified) Wed, 04/13/2011 - 14:33

You draw beautiful hands Yuko.
It makes me kinda jealous. XDD Hands are so hard for me.

But mepractice. c:

I totally do the same thing.

Comment by Ellmeister (not verified) Sat, 09/10/2011 - 23:07

I totally do the same thing. Spiral clementine peels are the best! It's half of what makes eating a clementine awesome, other than the fact that clementines are absolutley delicious.

CHALLENGE MODE

Comment by Josh M. (not verified) Wed, 02/08/2012 - 11:28

Try to do it with a regular orange! I tried...peeled it into two strips instead of one.

...and I'm not new or reading through the archives or anything, I just did this thing and was reminded of this comic :D

about the TECHNIQUE

Comment by dawnya~n (not verified) Fri, 03/30/2012 - 22:05

this is an old comic but i was reading through the archive and i feel the need to tell you this.
i never knew about this technique before the comic. after i read it, i started peeling all oranges this way (it works well for mandarins and cuties too, although cuties are easy to peel anyway...). my friend that i ate lunch with always asked me to peel her oranges, since i mastered the technique.
so... thank you! now i am a truly great peeler.

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY

Comment by GreenT (not verified) Tue, 05/29/2012 - 14:36

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE!!