TIME.com's Techland has a full preview of our MDHP short up!

Ohhh man we are so close to getting this cat! Yuko used our buddy L's method of rough cat-petting to give the cat a test run. We went to the shelter on Thursday and met a bunch of cats. One of them was super friendly, and I have a soft spot for black cats because they're often glossed over either because 1. people are superstitious or 2. because the shelter is full of them, they're seen as generic - a self-fulfilling prophecy. Anyway! This cat came in the day before with 5 other adults and 11 kittens - 17 cats total! They were dropped in front of the shelter by a mystery van. As such, she doesn't have a name, but her collar said "5108-E" and so that's what we're calling her (EDIT: Ack, for now! I was in such a rush, I didn't reread the post ... don't worry, she'll get a real name!). We'll post pictures some time!

A couple of things to talk about! First of all, you remember the end of November last year, when Yuko and I were scrambling to work on a project and our update schedule got a little slowed down? Here's a full preview of it at TIME.com's Techland blog - it's called Callie Eats Feathers.

callie-preview.jpg

It's 8 pages long and we hope you enjoy it! We slaved and sweated over it for 2 weeks. A higher res version will go up on Dark Horse's Myspace Presents site some time in February (later this week?!).

Second, this only really applies to folks who advertise with us, but Project Wonderful is doing geotagging, which means that the ad that appears is different depending on where you live (Regions are: America, Canada, Europe, everywhere else). You can bid on these slots separately now, and the Canada/Europe/Elsewhere ads are a steal.

There will be another original up in the store later tonight, but I can't get to it just yet. Sorry!

Alrighty, I gotta get back to work - you all have a great week! See you Thursday.

Comments

ahhh adorable!

Comment by hillary (not verified) Tue, 02/02/2010 - 15:43

My cats are almost the same way, excepting patiently being held upside down! That only lasts 20-30 seconds. Man you guys are lucky to get such a nice kitty! You gonna call her fivey or something for short maybe?

Not sure what we'll name

Comment by Ananth Wed, 02/03/2010 - 11:08

Not sure what we'll name her! Yuko's been looking at some classic names, though. :)

huh

Comment by thundergodnick (not verified) Thu, 02/04/2010 - 00:07

Was going to say the same "My cat's that way too!" bit.

Honery little shit too. He's a great cat though, if he'd stop drinking out of the damn toilet when he has water! >_<

Close the toilet lid, then

Comment by Emma (not verified) Thu, 02/04/2010 - 03:13

Close the toilet lid, then for heaven's sake!

Cats usually don't like to drink at the same spot where they eat, so put a fresh bowl of water somewhere else in your house instead.

Friendly cat is friendly

Comment by Pimp Chickens (not verified) Tue, 02/02/2010 - 15:51

I wish I had that cat. The cat at my house (I hesistate to say anything that implies someone actually OWNS this cat. He owns himself.) bites, hisses, and scratches about 90% of the time anyone tries to touch him.

100% of the time if it's someone he isn't used to.

It's funny, a friend of mine

Comment by Lyle (not verified) Tue, 02/02/2010 - 16:05

It's funny, a friend of mine had a black cat and he was the most laid back cat ever. You could hold him upside down for any length of time and not only would he purr, he would let his arms splay out and just lounge there. Then again, he was also a vegetarian; he would readily eat pickles and celery, but wouldn't touch chicken or hamburger.

Lurv it!

Comment by Jamie Noguchi (not verified) Tue, 02/02/2010 - 16:13

The preview of Callie is fucking gorgeous. I totally lurv it and can't wait to see it up at Darkhorse. Lurv I say!

8D

Comment by Aido Wed, 02/03/2010 - 10:52

Yeey, thank you! :D :D  It'll be in the next DHP book collection too!  I'm SO EXCITED, the cover is being drawn by GUY DAVIS!  Eeeeee

ffffffwut

Comment by Schlegel (not verified) Wed, 02/03/2010 - 20:20

You are gonna let us know what book and when it's released, right?

RIGHT?! D: I really want a hard copy of this.

Thanks man! We are pretty

Comment by Ananth Wed, 02/03/2010 - 11:10

Thanks man! We are pretty excited about it. :D

Please tell me that you guys

Comment by Jedifreak (not verified) Thu, 02/04/2010 - 10:17

Please tell me that you guys are going to make a comic book of short stories like this.

Hee cute. My cat does the

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 02/02/2010 - 16:18

Hee cute. My cat does the same, except he has a 'meh' look on his face.

The comic looks great. A great unique story as always and good art. Also, ya maw!

Thank you!

Comment by Ananth Wed, 02/03/2010 - 11:12

Thank you!

That's not a cat.

Comment by Harrison (not verified) Tue, 02/02/2010 - 16:30

It's a bean bag. My family has a cat that will purr no matter what you do. His sister, however, will lure you into a false sense of security. She'll let you rub her belly, but she'll sink her teeth into you if you look away while rubbing her.

Callie is amazing!

Comment by ItchyTasty (not verified) Tue, 02/02/2010 - 16:32

Wow guys, that comic totally rocked! I'm really impressed that you got that much story in to 8 pages and the art was fantastic! Great work, I hope y'all do more!

Thanks so much! It was a

Comment by Ananth Wed, 02/03/2010 - 11:12

Thanks so much! It was a challenge - I think I would have liked to have had 12 pages to work with, but the page limit was static.

I suggest you name the cat

Comment by White Rhino (not verified) Tue, 02/02/2010 - 16:33

I suggest you name the cat "Eighty," for the last part of the tag. 8-E.

With luck, you could confuse people into thinking its name is Katie.

One of my cats was like

Comment by lennan (not verified) Tue, 02/02/2010 - 16:35

One of my cats was like this, and the other was sort of like this (this one was more skittish and hated loud noises and men). Neither of them ever clawed or bit, they were both sort of like dolls more than cats. And needy as hell (they didn't like us to leave the house). But we also had them since they were under a year old. I wonder if yours is just really socialized or if she's a dog mis-placed in a cat's body. XD

Nope, it's a RoboCat.

Comment by Yenian (not verified) Tue, 02/02/2010 - 16:36

RoboCats merely need to be near people, in order to rev up their recharge motor. This sounds like purring, and is powered by Interaction with People.

Watch out for the ability to jump improbably high.

Seriously, our cat Oscar does the same thing. You can do anything to him and he just goes 'purr, purr, purr, purr'.

Awesome

Comment by DQ (not verified) Tue, 02/02/2010 - 16:37

The cat sounds exactly like my cat except he sometimes gets into these moods.. but anyway.. I totally love the comic so beautiful yet creepy...

Thanks! :D Glad you liked it!

Comment by Ananth Wed, 02/03/2010 - 11:13

Thanks! :D Glad you liked it!

unbelievably cute/awesome

Comment by Naghan (not verified) Tue, 02/02/2010 - 16:49

That cat is cute. But I might be biased, since I grew up with a cat. Mine (although you don't own cats, they own you) used to cuddle up to a certain point (only the cat knew which) and then she bit. I still have a scar.

About "Callie Eats Feathers":
That is AWESOME. That's the reason I always went to http://www.ahpcreate.com, so I could read the stories there.

Ahaha, oh man, I'm flattered

Comment by Ananth Wed, 02/03/2010 - 11:14

Ahaha, oh man, I'm flattered that you used to read that site! I wish I had the time to hunker down and write like that again ... it was such a pleasure for me.

Glad you liked the short!

Exactly like my cat

Comment by Morgan (not verified) Tue, 02/02/2010 - 16:52

We have two cats and our striped one is exactly like this if not worse. I have held him on my lap for a solid 30 minutes squeezing his paws and popping his claws in and out and he does nothing. He also REALLY likes to groom my arms. I will wake up in the night and my arm will feel like someone has taken sandpaper to it for 30 minutes.

Almost

Comment by AMVP (not verified) Tue, 02/02/2010 - 17:05

Our oldest cat is a lot like that, though she's rather touchy about her feet. Our other cat doesn't really like to be petted roughly, but she's constantly lying on her back, so we assume she feels comfortable around us (that or she's just so big that lying down the normal way makes it hard to breath). Our littlest one is rather temperamental concerning touching, but she's the most likely to climb into your lap of her own accord.

You know, it seems that every time I leave a comment, it has to do with a cat comic.

Really, now.

Comment by Joe D. (not verified) Tue, 02/02/2010 - 17:26

With a name like "5108-E" how did you ever DOUBT it was a robocat?

Hey...

Comment by SBKT (not verified) Tue, 02/02/2010 - 17:30

My email must have gotten spam filtered, it had relevant stuff and I was hoping for a response that way. Didn't want my fan-isms revealed to everyone else.

I have two cats. A young one just like that, and an older one who merely tolerates all of that. The older one is good with people but hates the young one. Not fun if you are trying to cuddle both at the same time. The older one rejects it completely at that point.

You could just

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 02/02/2010 - 17:39

You could just affectionately call her "Siobe" and leave the actual collar name as 5108-E. Get it? SIOBE, 5108E?

Okay I'll stop.

Oh cats...

Comment by Yuki-chan (not verified) Tue, 02/02/2010 - 17:43

My brother has a cat. I think he was a siamese at one point... now he's just this big fat ball of fur. I'm the only family member he won't let touch him.

He's probably come to the conclusion that I'm the one responsible for the annoying white puppy that likes to follow him around the house...

Callie

Comment by funky (not verified) Tue, 02/02/2010 - 18:14

Wow, that was great. I'd pay money for that. Good money. Seriously, that was fantastic, good job guys.

Also: I wish my cat was like that. :C
But instead, throughout her entire life, from when we got her 'till when she passed, she was unfriendly to everyone. I'm jealous.

Thanks! Aww! Maybe she was

Comment by Ananth Wed, 02/03/2010 - 11:15

Thanks!

Aww! Maybe she was just comfortable enough to be herself.

Same thing here

Comment by Matt B. (not verified) Tue, 02/02/2010 - 18:15

My mom also adopted two black cats, because A) Nobody was gonna buy them, on account of superstition, and B) the two unrelated cats were inseparable, so they were only sold as a set. My mom felt bad and bought them, even though she vowed not to get any more pets. One of them is fairly laid back, and the other is the total epitome of "scaredy cat".

Sounds like my cat! Usually

Comment by Sweet (not verified) Tue, 02/02/2010 - 18:32

Sounds like my cat! Usually cats like that were rough-housed a lot as kittens, to get used to being coddled and rolled around extremely early in life. A lot of people make the mistake of being 'careful' when raising a cat... never petting its belly, never petting it the wrong way, and the cat winds up so disdainful of petting it's unfamiliar with by the time they're adults. Very similar to how humans don't much mind at all any contact on the hands, but touching the face (which happens rarely) is a much more 'romantic' gesture. It's rare, so it gives you a flighty-feeling as you're not used to it! I imagine cats hate having a case of the butterflies.

My cat loves nothing better than to be snatched off the ground and smothered into oblivion. He's a total attention whore though; BE PREPARED FOR A CAT THAT WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU ALONE.

"BE PREPARED FOR A CAT THAT

Comment by Spizzy (not verified) Tue, 02/02/2010 - 20:18

"BE PREPARED FOR A CAT THAT WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU ALONE."

My poor parents are having to deal with my cat being like this now XD Once he got used to them and realized they feed him, he will noooooot leave them alone for attention. I could hear him wailing from upstairs, while talking to my dad on the phone, who was downstairs XD

Ahaha, y-yeahh

Comment by Aido Wed, 02/03/2010 - 10:35

Hahaha, yeah, we're preparing ourselves for this.  I think it'll be okay?  We're all students and/or work from home, so there will be usually 3-6 people in the apartment at all times.  There will always be people to bother if someone else wants to be left alone.

Callie Eats Feathers was

Comment by Bellar (not verified) Tue, 02/02/2010 - 18:38

Callie Eats Feathers was eerily cool! I wonder if one day we'll get to know the entirety behind the existence of the Maw.

Thanks! Maybe one day. :)

Comment by Ananth Wed, 02/03/2010 - 11:19

Thanks! Maybe one day. :) They are curious creatures!

Hah, my kitten was like that

Comment by KT (not verified) Tue, 02/02/2010 - 18:39

Hah, my kitten was like that today. I was trying to use the computer but kept petting him for 30 minutes because I felt guilty with him purring so much... We actually have a lot of kittens and almost all of them are like that. I think they're puppies in disguise. :]

Cats are cool

Comment by King_Bahamut (not verified) Tue, 02/02/2010 - 18:39

Not sure if I mentioned this last time you mentioned cats but I have a feeling I have bad luck with cats, all but one cat I owned died a premature death usually involving a vehicle, I also love black cats quite a bit, short haired is preferred but they are cool, though that isn't to say I dislike any other cat. My little sister has a bitey cat and a yowler old one.

Well, that's just adorable

Comment by Lassa (not verified) Tue, 02/02/2010 - 18:56

I usually don't comment, but I love this comic. That could easily be either of my black guys (Jake and Elwood, if you're curious). There's something about black cats that often makes them agreeable to being extra smooshy. Excellent job!

If thats not a cat, then who

Comment by Samm Neiland (not verified) Tue, 02/02/2010 - 19:06

If thats not a cat, then who is that Pokemon? :o

I'm rather envious of you guys. I always wanted a Cat when I was growing up, but my parents were like NO WAY. Eventually we got a dog though... but she's like the most non-dog dog there is. She thinks she's a Human in a dogs body, honestly @_@

IT'S 5108-E! 5108-E is

Comment by Ananth Wed, 02/03/2010 - 11:20

IT'S 5108-E! 5108-E is evolving ... !

My parents were the same way, actually ... I was only allowed to have fish.

Ananth's fish used splash!

Comment by Samm Neiland (not verified) Wed, 02/03/2010 - 17:20

Ananth's fish used splash! But nothing happened!

Really enjoyed the comic

Comment by Roberto (not verified) Tue, 02/02/2010 - 19:09

Really enjoyed the comic preview! I hope to read more eventually (there's more planned right???).

Er, not yet! But vaguely,

Comment by Ananth Wed, 02/03/2010 - 11:21

Er, not yet! But vaguely, perhaps ... !

My black cat lets me do

Comment by Cheri (not verified) Tue, 02/02/2010 - 19:10

My black cat lets me do anything I want to her.
But hates every single other person in the world.
She puts up with my boyfriend, if and only if he backs off when she demands my attention.
But everyone else she is cruel to. Stalks them, hisses at them, even attacking them if they're in her spot (that being anywhere in the house at any given time.)
She loves me unconditionally though, obviously.

I love my cat, though. And will never get rid of her. I just have to be sure to keep her up on her shots. =]

Gasp and alarm!

Comment by Matt (not verified) Tue, 02/02/2010 - 19:16

The true purpose of the Maws is revealed!

That is the best kind of cat

Comment by Jack K (not verified) Tue, 02/02/2010 - 19:23

If that cat is up for adoption, adopt it. If not, steal it.

Cat's like that are the best.

Callie

Comment by Trae (not verified) Tue, 02/02/2010 - 19:38

Callie eats feathers looks amazing. So dark for you guys, though, compared to what fiction I've seen thus far. Great characters, good way to open the story. I'm confused though, is it a comic book?
If so, I will find some way to buy it.

It was a challenge - neither

Comment by Ananth Wed, 02/03/2010 - 11:23

It was a challenge - neither of us had done anything with a horror tilt. Sadly, it's not a comicbook ... Dark Horse has this thing called Myspace Presents, where they ask various creators to submit shorts for an anthology. It's all online to read for free, and then they bundle them up into gorgeous anthologies.