TIME.com's Techland has a full preview of our MDHP short up!

Ohhh man we are so close to getting this cat! Yuko used our buddy L's method of rough cat-petting to give the cat a test run. We went to the shelter on Thursday and met a bunch of cats. One of them was super friendly, and I have a soft spot for black cats because they're often glossed over either because 1. people are superstitious or 2. because the shelter is full of them, they're seen as generic - a self-fulfilling prophecy. Anyway! This cat came in the day before with 5 other adults and 11 kittens - 17 cats total! They were dropped in front of the shelter by a mystery van. As such, she doesn't have a name, but her collar said "5108-E" and so that's what we're calling her (EDIT: Ack, for now! I was in such a rush, I didn't reread the post ... don't worry, she'll get a real name!). We'll post pictures some time!

A couple of things to talk about! First of all, you remember the end of November last year, when Yuko and I were scrambling to work on a project and our update schedule got a little slowed down? Here's a full preview of it at TIME.com's Techland blog - it's called Callie Eats Feathers.

callie-preview.jpg

It's 8 pages long and we hope you enjoy it! We slaved and sweated over it for 2 weeks. A higher res version will go up on Dark Horse's Myspace Presents site some time in February (later this week?!).

Second, this only really applies to folks who advertise with us, but Project Wonderful is doing geotagging, which means that the ad that appears is different depending on where you live (Regions are: America, Canada, Europe, everywhere else). You can bid on these slots separately now, and the Canada/Europe/Elsewhere ads are a steal.

There will be another original up in the store later tonight, but I can't get to it just yet. Sorry!

Alrighty, I gotta get back to work - you all have a great week! See you Thursday.

Comments

Kitty

Comment by Kiri (not verified) Wed, 02/03/2010 - 10:37

Are you sure that's not my cat you're drawing? If it is, he's actually got longer fur. Otherwise you're spot on. ;)

That's a Dog if I Ever Saw One

Comment by Bluecho (not verified) Wed, 02/03/2010 - 11:35

And believe me, I know my dogs. I have eight of them. Eight of them! So I know what I'm talking about when I say only a dog would allow you to hold it on its back to scratch its belly.

So no, that isn't a cat.

I didn't know feathers could produce that effect.

Comment by Seth Gorden (not verified) Wed, 02/03/2010 - 13:42

Whoah! I just read the 8 pages at the link you posted for "Callie Eats Feathers". I was fascinated by the title and the colors you chose. However, the way you reveal the effect of Callie's curious habit adds the real impact. Just Impressive. Also, that last panel is totally creepy, in a different way than Callie herself. Well done. It's very cool to have you post your other activities and artful endeavors on here. Thanks for that, and kudos on the quality.

Cat Name

Comment by George W. Harris (not verified) Wed, 02/03/2010 - 13:54

The cat should obviously be named Siobe. As someone else suggested, I see now. It's an actual Filipino name, and also a Chinese term for 'little sister'.

Actually, my wife and I have

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 02/03/2010 - 14:55

Actually, my wife and I have a cat that submits to such shenanigans with much purring as well. He also plays fetch (when he feels like it)... we occasionally suspect that he may be a dog in a really good disguise.

Aw :3

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Wed, 02/03/2010 - 16:10

She reminds me of one of our cats Manta...one because she's solid black like he is and he's just about as laid back :3

Hmm...

Comment by LT (not verified) Wed, 02/03/2010 - 16:25

My terrible, terrible 1337 tendencies kicked in and decided that 5108 = SLOB. Not a terribly attractive name for anything, but it's there now if you need it.

WHOA. That feather eating

Comment by Keyaroscuro (not verified) Wed, 02/03/2010 - 17:28

WHOA.

That feather eating comic was so amazingly intense and awesome.

Also, with this cat test, my kitty would probably fail it, although he DOES put up with a lot of other crap on a daily basis. Awww kitties. <3

Awesome comic!

Comment by Don M. (not verified) Wed, 02/03/2010 - 18:04

Wow, Callie Eats Feathers is breathtaking; I love how you guys nailed the second to last page with the semi-grotesque image of Callie's new appendages. Any chance of the story developing further?

Also, cat name suggestion: Siobe (Cee-Oh-Bee). (Yes, another lame interpretation of the mystery collar. XP)

And I just now saw someone

Comment by Don M. (not verified) Wed, 02/03/2010 - 18:05

And I just now saw someone else suggested that name. FAIL.

Paws is the same way!

Comment by Anouilh (not verified) Wed, 02/03/2010 - 18:47

My cat, Paws, lets us do everything in todays comic to him because he loves the attention we give him. He is just the most laid back cat ever and even sleeps in an awkward position, like upside down sometimes! :)

I wonder if...

Comment by Trence (not verified) Wed, 02/03/2010 - 19:29

My cat has a long lost twin. She's a black cat too and I can do all of those things to her and she doesn't mind. She even gets so comfortable that she starts to drool a little XD

It's a shame that black cats get mistreated/looked over because of an old superstition. In my experience all of the black cats I've run across have been extremely friendly, or at least well tempered. Maybe its because they have a bad rap and they're trying to combat it?

Uuhhh

Comment by Minato (not verified) Wed, 02/03/2010 - 21:17

Is it just me...
Or does this cat look a little bit like Death ?...

Wow! Is that the evolution of the cool crow?

Comment by Sir Reginaldo (not verified) Wed, 02/03/2010 - 23:02

I like the idea, it is very interesting! It looks like you will develop it more so I plan to read further.
Keep up the good work!

p.s Love it!

Comment by Eric Canillas (not verified) Wed, 02/03/2010 - 23:14

All these people with cats!

I wish I had one.

Names

Comment by ShinyHappyGoth (not verified) Thu, 02/04/2010 - 00:53

5108-E = Siobe?

Niobe? Siobhan?

Slobe... NO. Slo-be. Slob-e?

Comment by Jack K (not verified) Thu, 02/04/2010 - 03:57

Slobe... NO. Slo-be.

Slob-e?

How...

Comment by Dalxein (not verified) Thu, 02/04/2010 - 03:36

YOU! HOW! How did you get ahold of my cat!? D:

Oh, you and your maws.

Comment by Josh (not verified) Thu, 02/04/2010 - 06:09

I love birds. And now I have a reason to fear them. Thanks guys! :P

Oh man. Callie Eats Feathers

Comment by TEi (not verified) Thu, 02/04/2010 - 10:38

Oh man. Callie Eats Feathers is creepy in the coolest way possible. It leaves me wanting more even though the story's been told, you know?

Callie Eats Feathers.

Comment by Fluxfox (not verified) Thu, 02/04/2010 - 12:33

Way to go on making something really different. I really enjoyed it. Those two weeks were not spent in vain.

...............

mystery van? "5108-E"? Maybe she was a medical test cat in tests to make cats more lethargic.

Hey guys, This is my first

Comment by Singingham (not verified) Thu, 02/04/2010 - 14:11

Hey guys,

This is my first time commenting, but I've been reading for while now. I just went through the short comic you guys made and it really touched me emotionally. The concept and characterization was excellent, and it would be awesome to see more comics like that. Thanks so much!

- W

x3

Comment by KaT Adams (not verified) Thu, 02/04/2010 - 17:41

Our cat is much the same. I've grabbed him by the butt and hugged him, head down, and he just hangs there, purring x3

Callie is creepy o_o very

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 02/04/2010 - 18:48

Callie is creepy o_o very creepy, but in a good, amazing way.

5108-E the cat

Comment by Emz (not verified) Thu, 02/04/2010 - 18:50

I think you should call her Siobie or Siobee. You know, change the numbers to letters kinda like Elie in Rave Master (she had the number 3173 on her arm, which looked like Elie upside down). I think it'd be a cute name, but it's just a suggestion.

But I have had cat's who are that tolerant, they're just wonderful, especially when you've had a bad day.

Adorable!

Comment by Nganny (not verified) Thu, 02/04/2010 - 19:40

I loved this comic! And my kitty is the exact same way, I was playing with him while I was reading it, and I got up to 6 before he clawed at my face. He hates belly rubs.

You need a cat in your

Comment by MissKacey (not verified) Fri, 02/05/2010 - 05:38

You need a cat in your lives! If you have a chance to adopt a tan tabby (not orange), then go for it! Ollie is my cat and he's very laid back, but vocal because all tabbies are. Every tan tabby I've ever met (which is about 3) are all very even tempered and outgoing. Also our tortoiseshell cat is the most craziest cat ever, and I've talked to other torti owners and they also report the same behaviors. As much as I love Roxy (torti), she likes to be the only cat, and she's very weird. Sometimes she'll just stare at nothing for hours. Also she plays fetch with bouncy balls...

Glad to hear you guys found

Comment by TheMaverickk (not verified) Fri, 02/05/2010 - 09:50

Glad to hear you guys found a more then pleasant cat. I can't wait to go searching for my own cat or kitten one day... despite having two technically with my parents.

Mind you they are more their cats.

Fussy cat's aren't that hard to find.... it's just a matter of looking for the right characteristics. Heck some cats even love water;

This is gotta be one of the coolest cat videos ever... me and my girlfriend watch cat videos to pick us up on those down trodden with essays and papers days (or in my case paintings as an artist). They make us laugh and giggle for no clear reason.

insane

Comment by driftwood (not verified) Fri, 02/05/2010 - 14:00

your MSDHP store is insane... insanely awesome! thanks for sharing your twisted creativity.
peace,
bradley

one of my cats really likes

Comment by shauna (not verified) Sat, 02/06/2010 - 14:42

one of my cats really likes having her face scratched, she'll rub her face against everything, hasn't quite figured out that it doesn't work when she tries to do it to wires.

Johnny Wander | Updates Tuesday and Thursday

Comment by ims media marketing (not verified) Fri, 07/05/2013 - 19:56

With the advances of marketing, in terms of instruction, the concepts may inspire marketers to rethink their approaches and come up withan entirely new marketing plan.

The Huffington Post, we are enjoying the journey in a totally
new field and are having great fun innovating, learning and extending ourselves
each day.

Short is brilliantly drawn,

Comment by Tiny Ookpik (not verified) Thu, 02/11/2010 - 01:01

Short is brilliantly drawn, and tells a compelling story. Great job!

Oh my god, my cat is EXACTLY

Comment by Marissa (not verified) Sun, 02/21/2010 - 19:53

Oh my god, my cat is EXACTLY the same way. Little orange-brown tabby, I can do whatever to her and she just takes it purring. We even shower and bathe her, and she just sits there and takes it with a smile.

She's going to snap one day. Watch.

HOLY BAJEESUS

Comment by Merkanth (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 06:30

CALLIE EATS FEATHERS BLEW MY MIND. Seriously. The art style was familiar, yet different enough from your usual light hearted comics that it felt entirely new. Loved the appearances from the basilisk (that's what she turned into, right?) and that weird bird thing with the mouth that I can't remember the name of but happens to be the background for your site. Crap. Now I not only have to worry about crows turning me into a crazed bird beast engorging myself on feathers on top of the one about an evil granny disgorging menstrual wasps into my brain. Crap. I still love everything you two do. Keep it up and keep scaring the living bajeesus out of me. I like it.

typo

Comment by Merkanth (not verified) Thu, 05/13/2010 - 06:33

Make that second to last sentence "Now I have to worry about crows turning me into [. . .]". Yea. I'm going back for seconds.

I know this is way late, but Holy Crap

Comment by Jorge (not verified) Wed, 06/02/2010 - 01:23

So, uh, that's basically my cat, Jim. Exactly. Exactly the same. We think he may be part dog. Further theories have stalled due to lack of DNA sequencer.

I was thinking of cloning my cat. Good to know that this is, in fact, reproducible behavior.

My cat "Kat with a K" is

Comment by JavaJenna (not verified) Sat, 08/14/2010 - 21:45

My cat "Kat with a K" is like that.
You can even rock her in your arms. Sing to her, and she will tear your eyes out. c:
I also loved Callie Eats Feathers. Its a great read with lovely art.
o 3o