Just looking at the comic makes my teeth hurt

EDIT: I FORGOT! Yuko and I make a little cameo in a recent edition of Jamie Noguchi's Yellow Peril - first panel!

And that's the conclusion of Yuko's dental travails. Reading through the comments on the last comic, you guys had an awful lot of stories of your own! I guess dental trauma is a familiar childhood topic.

Paypal is still giving me trouble! I'm shipping all orders, but I'm unable to give some of you confirmation - sorry about that.

Conrad has been playing Bayonetta recently, that game is CRAZY. It's partly a self-aware mash of (vague) pop culture references, which is really amusing and occasionally confounding. It's also a lot of fun to watch (and play, although Conrad will also assure you that it's occasionally very frustrating).

Here is a fun website that most of you probably already know about. (via Rym, Scott and Emily)

As you can tell, I've run out of things to talk about ... have a great weekend, and we'll see you next week!

Comments

It's times like these...

Comment by aSpacemanIAm (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 15:10

I'm glad I have absolutely 0 dental issues. (*knocks on wood for the next 24 hours*)

Thanks for sufficiently horrifying me/making me thankful, though!

Makes my teeth hurt too!

Comment by ChristineA (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 15:15

Ouch, ouch, ouch!! Never had a root canal thank goodness, but had braces for 5 years. Nothing like the pain of having your teeth moved! O_o I can so sympathize on that with Yukko!
Any chance you guys will be at Otakon this year???

Odd

Comment by Jeremy (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 15:29

It kinda weird to see Yuko drawn with her eye pupils showing from behind her glasses. Normally they're just white.

Again, thanks for the

Comment by Matt (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 15:30

Again, thanks for the nightmares. I feel your pain on the tonsils though. I had to have those removed AT CHRISTMAS. So I couldn't eat any of the good food. Just tomato soup with mushy crackers. So, it hurts every time you brush your teeth? Present day?

D:

Comment by Aido Thu, 02/18/2010 - 16:58

Yeek!  Y-yeah, getting tonsils out is a terror.  Apparently recovery time only gets worse as you get older, like having chicken pox.  I did lose my entire summer to the tonsillectomy, although I was so drugged up the entire time I honestly don't remember ANY of it!

Yeah, the tooth and the surrounding gums still hurt whenever they're touched... I've gotten into the habit of only chewing food on one side of my mouth.  It's just a thing I've gotten used to, I hardly think about it anymore.  (that probably isn't a good thing, oh well)

Dental Pain?

Comment by mistersaxon (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 15:34

Apparently redheads are significantly resistant to anaesthesia, needing up to 20% higher dosage, which is often above the safe level. Redheads hate the dentist and are more likely to wake up in surgery.

I file this under #crapsuperpowers especially since it extends to wannabe-redheads like me who are just mega-freckly. It goes in my portfolio between "Scaring Toddlers (Even Ones That Know Me)" and "Picking The Slowest Queue"

Anyway, you can imagine my joy when I got an abscess in an old root canal and had to have it drilled out, treated, temp filled then drilled and refilled. So - you have my utter sympathy but do not let these experiences tempt you to avoid the Chair. It gets worse if you leave it, not better (as I had secretly hoped). :(

Yeah I found that out when I

Comment by Molnek (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 18:51

Yeah I found that out when I had my wisdom teeth taken out. The dentist was freaked out when he came in and I was still awake. They had to ask my father if it was alright to give me more. Of course none of them appreciated our sense of humour when my dad replied "Sure, but if he doesn't make it I'm not paying."

You know, I will have to

Comment by Cheri (not verified) Fri, 02/19/2010 - 10:28

You know, I will have to tell my best guy ginger friend about this. He just got done getting his wisdom teeth removed. And woke up during surgery. THREE TIMES. Didn't help matters he forgot where he was and tried to get out of the seat.
I'm sure this knowledge is reaching him a bit late. But maybe he'll like knowing he has a super power. XD

&Your dad's sense of humor is completely inappropriate and awesome. XD

Well, that explains why the

Comment by Cid (not verified) Tue, 02/23/2010 - 15:57

Well, that explains why the last time I had surgery, when I was put under, I remained conscious and aware, but unable to move or BREATHE. Until I passed out, not sure what exactly the doctors did about that, but the next thing I remember, is waking up.

I had no idea it was related to my genetics.

Punch your dentist in the throat

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 15:35

Read the subject, if he caused you all that pain and money, and the symptoms remain, you should file malpractice and find a new dentist.

There are good doctors out there, there are bad ones too. the bad ones need to be exposed before they cause more suffering.

Also, If ANY DOCTOR ever insists on removing your tonsils, leave. No doctors remove tonsils unless they ABSOLUTELY have to, due to repeated infections.

eek!

Comment by Aido Thu, 02/18/2010 - 16:48

The two different root canals were actually done by two different dentists -- I just made them look identical for humor's sake.  From what I've been told, the only explanation for the chronic pain is that the root of the tooth is cracked and the gums around it are permanently inflamed.  The only solution at this point is an artificial tooth -- and I don't have dental insurance or the stamina to do that right now.   D:

The tonsils coming out was actually a separate and long story-- but the short version of it was that YES, they actually did need removing.  DX  As a kid I had strep throat constantly, and right before getting the tonsils removed I'd gotten sick three times consecutively within the span of a few weeks.  They'd inflamed to the point that I couldn't sleep lying down anymore and they were covered in those weird tonsil cysts and everything.  It just so happened that no doctor insisted on them coming out until I was JUST about to be put under to get my wisdom teeth out.

Weird tonsil cysts

Comment by mistersaxon (not verified) Fri, 02/19/2010 - 03:28

Yeah,

Comment by Steve (not verified) Fri, 02/19/2010 - 05:25

I had those once when I was younger. I had one of the bigger ones but fortunately, they came out (with some coaxing) on their own somehow.

Also, I'm tempted to point out that there's a "lol" in that word, but they were no laughing matter.

Oh geezus.

Comment by yraelis (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 15:35

Yuko, your teeth antics makes me so so glad I never had to deal with any of the above. (I actually have no idea what a root canal is, I am that oblivious).

D: I've been wanting to play Bayonetta with a ridiculous amount of passion. All mai gaming buddies just stare at me whenever I mention it.

Your story makes me hope I

Comment by lennan (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 15:54

Your story makes me hope I never get a root canal ever. Although, that's pretty nice that you didn't get any pain from getting your wisdom teeth taken out. I was not so lucky....

I'm sorry

Comment by Naghan (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 16:06

Seriously, I'm sorry. Just reading of your misadventures makes me cringe. While I had some misadventures too, none of them are as bad as yours.

oh noo!

Comment by Aido Thu, 02/18/2010 - 16:51

Oh noo, you're making me feel bad!  DX  We didn't do these to fish for sympathy, although reading the comics over, they aren't especially funny... :/

I'm so glad I got too much

Comment by Bento (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 16:25

I'm so glad I got too much fluoride as a kid. Who cares if I have discolored teeth? The advantages seem to far outweigh that.

Re: Redheads needing more anesthesia.
That would explain why many of my family members hate the dentist! I've been lucky enough to mostly avoid the dentist, though, given the aforementioned information.

I wonder if I qualify as a wanna-be redhead, though. I get freckles and my hair bleaches red instead of blond.

HEAR that...

Comment by Samuraiartguy (not verified) Fri, 02/19/2010 - 02:19

I seem to have, while not a redhead, a resistance to many medications. The general rule is half as long, half as strong... or BOTH. Not very comforting when the so-called "four hour" Novocaine is wearing off while the oral surgeon is still stitching away. Nearly pulled the armrest off the chair.

Good genes my ass

Comment by Daniel (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 16:39

Yuko may never get sick but I'd rather avoid those kind of / that many dental problems than never get sick any day. -_-

Teeth D:

Comment by Mouse (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 16:46

The comic reminded me of my own horror story involving wisdom teeth.

(long post is long)

I was supposed to have my wisdom teeth taken out, but when the oral surgeon started the anesthesia via IV, I went into a seizure so they had to call the thing off.

I was rescheduled to have them taken out the following Monday at the local hospital's surgery center so an anesthesiologist could monitor my life-signs and give additional medication to prevent further seizures.

Or at least, that was what I was told.

I got to the surgery center and was in pre-op casually talking to the nurse when I mentioned that I have a seizure disorder. She looked at me like I had said I had the plague (because "well no one told us that") before storming off to find the anesthesiologist to talk to him.

This guy was a jerk. And that's being nice. He completely talked down to me like I was stupid (and again, kept saying that "no one told them I had a seizure disorder" regardless to the fact that it's in my medical record, I had told them on the phone I did, and the oral surgeon's office told them on the phone that I did) which eventually provoked a seizure, in which he pretty much didn't do anything.
At one point I remember him making negative comments towards me when he thought I was completely unconscious.
He also proceeded to get in a fight with my parents they "didn't tell him" that I had a seizure disorder (regardless to the fact that my parents cannot legally disclose any information about me since I'm over 18), and then got in a fight with the oral surgeon (who did in fact inform them I had the disorder).
Not only that, he called an ambulance. When I was at the hospital. Literally 20-30 feet max from the Emergency Room. They could have wheeled me down the hall. But they called an ambulance. (Needless to say the paramedics where just as ticked off about the situation).

And I still don't have my wisdom teeth out.

In the long run, after many letters threatening lawsuit from our side, we got the entire bill written off, and whenever I attempt to have the teeth removed again - they promised that the jerk doctor will not be anywhere near the center.

Wow... I mean, I can't think

Comment by Lancer2010 (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 20:21

Wow... I mean, I can't think of anything else to say about that...

Except, DAMN THAT SUCKS!

Mysterious tooth pain

Comment by Cho (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 17:06

Your comic made me think of a lady I know who also had mysterious tooth pain despite having root canals. She went to see an acupuncturist figuring nothing could be worse, but got so much better in so quick a time that she dropped her old job and began studying acupuncture.

Also, from personal experience of just chewing on one side of my mouth, the other side has degraded and become afflicted with TMJ. That, however, was also taken care of with acupuncture.

I don't know if you're scared of needles or what, but the rest of your life is a long, long time to work your way around something like that. If you want more information, Google has a lot or you can email me. I'm not in your area, so this is not a business call :P

Typical

Comment by Sairus (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 17:29

Ah, lots of fond teeth memories.
I had various braces and wires and retainers attatched to my teeth for many a year while I was in school. When I was about 16 I finally had my last operation and my teeth were lined up and ready to go.
One month later I got beaten up and one of my front teeth was knocked out. =D

Oh the memories...

Comment by Jenn (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 17:53

Yuko, I'm sorry to hear of those pesky dental troubles. But you need to get them sorted sooner rather than later. It really doesn't get any easier, cheaper or less painful. Just ask my parents who are products of England's National Health dental programme. Talk about missing teeth thanks to cheap dentistry!

I'm one of those lucky people who has had the combo of:
1) two broken front teeth thanks to a waterslide at age 8, right after I got my permanent teeth in!
2) a habit breaker for about 2.5 yrs (stupid tasty thumb)
3) braces from age 9 - 15 (with all the accoutrements)
4) impacted wisdom teeth, removed at age 19
5) umpty-dozen fillings thanks to the braces, including one that had to be temp-filled with a clove tasting medicated filling for a month
6) lots of temporary caps for my front teeth as I refuse to have them filed down

Fortunately I have had assistance from my parents for paying for almost everything, and a great dentist and maxilofacial surgeon. I haven't had tonsil problems. An infection did delay a friend's wisdom teeth extraction - they made her have the surgery at the hospital. Good luck!

PS: please don't go down waterslides head first; it can be incredibly painful, and ridiculously expensive in the long run (see points 1 & 6)

Mysterious (not) tooth pain

Comment by il biggo (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 18:03

Yuko, I feel your pain too.
(personal story follows, it's just to make you all feel better. Or worse, it depends ^_^)
I've had my fair share of tooth problems (read: pain and pain and some more pain) from 1980-ish until 1995. I've had my teeth drilled a hundred times with no result.
Then one day I went to the nth dentist and he said it's not a tooth ache, it's the trigeminal nerve: every time I had a cold, the sinus was pushing down onto a root, picking the trigeminal in between. No wonder I was feeling so bad.
One root canal later, my problems were gone, and I've never been scared of brushing my teeth since. Cue the "Rocky" main theme :D

This isn't helping! D8>

Comment by Fraoch (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 18:22

Aaaaa just got out of a consultation for getting my wisdom teeth out. The 'surprisingly painless' part helps, but just seeing the phrase 'root canal' brings up bad memories...*shudder*

A couple of guys at my work are playing Bayonetta too and oen of them hates that it's really 'anime'. Looks insanely cool and vice-versa.

*Weeps inwardly*

Comment by BonesSkull (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 18:23

I just had my Canine removed. I was under the needle and everything and it still hurt. I may have no idea what you went through but I am certainly hurting now.

*wipes blood and saliva off of cheek*

Teeth!

Comment by Frzndaqiri (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 18:25

Ok - a few things and note that I have had the root canal / crown story from heck that is WAY too long to post here

One: Find the right dentist! I went through 6 (SIX!) before getting the one that figured the REAL problem, listened to me, and took care of it. He's been mine ever since and I refer complete strangers to him!

Two:
Several things: Ill fitting crown - either pushing on the teeth around it or too high and causing problems with your bite alignment. This can REALLY give the illusion that the tooth with no root is in pain.

Also, floss!!! I don't know how regular or thorough you are, but this is the one fuss that most people ignore, but with a crown an itty bit of particle can decay in between the teeth and cause the gums to inflame and cause what feels like a horrible toothache.

Three: Sensodyne toothpaste. No really. This stuff is awesome and will really help keep you happy if you have chronic tooth pain. Not a substitute for the two things above, but a required item in my tooth regimen.

Yeah, Bayonetta is fun as

Comment by Jack T Robyn (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 18:39

Yeah, Bayonetta is fun as hell. The infinite continues and mid-multi-tier-boss-checkpoints take the impossibility edge off while still leaving it a significant challenge to get through with any grace.

The impossibility edge is

Comment by Bjorn (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 19:05

The impossibility edge is still very much there tough. I'm trying a pure platinum run and it's frustrating as F, that however does not mean that it's not ridiculously fun. It's been a really long time since I've given any game so many hours.

On the subject of dentists, mine likes me. He's often commented on how resistant I seem to most of his torture (that's not to say it doesn't hurt, it really does.) Teeth suck and it seriously makes me wonder how people dealt with all of this some 500 years ago.

Long comment is long

Comment by CheshireCGrinne (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 19:03

Ugh, teeth problems. This one didn't make my teeth hurt like the previous one did, but I still feel your pain. 6 years of braces, 3 years of headgear (thank goodness only at night), constant cold sensitivity (despite being on both toothpaste and mouth-rinse that actually had to be PRESCRIBED by the dentist because they contain so much fluoride), and having 8 teeth (including my wisdom teeth) removed.

The first tooth removal was the least trouble. It was only four teeth that needed pulled, and I was so high on laughing gas and novacaine I couldn't feel anything. The wisdom teeth weren't that bad either, except that the anesthesia made me sick afterward.

At this point I'm just hoping I don't ever need a root canal. Does not sound fun. And if I do, they'd better put me completely under because I REFUSE to be awake for that. I can deal with anesthesia sickness, but I really don't want to be awake.

Also, I'm kind of hoping I never need my tonsils out.

Whuhf

Comment by Matt B. (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 19:07

This just serves as a reminder that I have to visit the dentist myself. I've got a cavity I've been ignoring for a while now. I'd be more than happy to go if my health insurance covered dental. :<

Dental surgery, yay...

Comment by Animus-Panthera (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 19:19

I know how you feel, Yuko...

So apparently my family has a weird genetic trait that means we sometimes have two sets of adult teeth instead of baby teeth, or sometimes even more than two.

I had two sets, which meant that I didn't lose any teeth at all until middle school, and six of those had to be pulled. (My brother got it worse- he had to have 8 pulled.)
Then, even after it had been pulled, one of my canines wouldn't come in, so they had to do an exposure surgery.

Basically, first they give you braces (something I wouldn't have needed at all otherwise). Later, they open a flap in your gums and attach a brace to the tooth while it's inside. A little chain hangs out of your gums, which they attach to the braces. The surgery wasn't too bad, but it hurt like nobody's business whenever they adjusted the chain.

Then, after the tooth came down and the chain was removed, it turned out that one of the tiny little chain links had gotten stuck in my gums at some point, which meant a second surgery to remove it.

Now I need to have my wisdom teeth removed (but luckily I only have two).

Instant Mash!

Comment by Trence (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 19:21

Seems instant mashed potatoes has saved a lot of lives. They were my only saving grace when I had my tonsils out too ><;

Man, my teeth are itching like crazy now! AHHG!

Auugh I feel your pain! I've

Comment by Joseph (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 19:51

Auugh I feel your pain! I've had two root canals and right now a wisdom tooth has been coming in and it's cutting into my cheek and it makes me want to grind my teeth in a certain way that makes it cut into my cheek even more and life sucks auuuggghhh

Wow, Yuko and I had the same

Comment by Valdrake (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 19:54

Wow, Yuko and I had the same progression in hairstyles. Weird but cool lol. I dread the pulling of my wisdom teeth ><

SURPRISINGLY PAINLESS!!

Comment by Callmeshirlie (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 20:09

then two years later, more PAIN.

Conrad's playing a game... with a female protagonist... who looks like a librarian... who made her very tight suit out of her own hair (probably some armpit hair in there somewhere). Hope he has fun.

Ha ha, oh dental stories...

Comment by Lancer2010 (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 20:35

None of my dental stories are nearly as bad as others, but since everyone's trading "war stories" I'll throw in my two cents. I apologize now for the long post.

I did not take good care of my teeth when I was younger (hell, I could be taking better care of them now even). This resulted in MANY CAVITIES. I mean, almost all my back adult teeth like my molars have a filling in them, which means I was very resistant to the freezing agent my dentist used. I almost always needed a double shot. Another problem I have is that all my teeth are spaced very close together, which makes flossing a hassle.

When my wisdom teeth were just starting to come in when I was around 13 or so, my dentist spotted that one wisdom tooth was coming in under an existing molar that had a cavity. I got two options, fill the cavity and get the wisdom tooth removed a couple of years later, or pull the tooth, and let this wisdom tooth grow in its place later on. I took the pulling option.

A few years ago, when I turned 18 maybe, my new dentist tried to sell me on braces to correct a very minor over/underbite I have. My brother had braces for a couple of years, so I decided not to.

you're just making me never

Comment by darrylayo (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 20:46

you're just making me never want to go to the dentist! Which is even worse, when you think about it!

Ouch.

Comment by RJP (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 20:47

Man, my sympathies go out to you, Yuko. Really, just reading this just brings so much sincere sympathy toward you and so much anger toward orthodontists.

For me, I had to have braces for about 7 years. And my teeth are still a bit wonky afterwards. Not sure if my orthodontist knew exactly what he was doing, or it could've just been my terribly teeth placement to begin with. Then again, there was that time he pulled out the wrong tooth. I mean, he numbed the correct one that needed to come out, but yanked out a different one, even after me telling him, "Wait, stop, ow, I can feel you pulling on my tooth with those pliers." I don't think I said it as calmly though.

Hm. Kind of went off on a tangent there. Anyway, really sorry to hear about your dental surgeries.

Good lord! You poor girl.

Comment by Robert V Aldrich (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 20:59

Good lord! You poor girl. I'd be afraid to eat anything if my teeth gave me that much trouble.

When I had my wisdom teeth out, the dentist quoted me $900 +/-. A buddy of mine in Salt Lake City offered to do the surgery for $468. $400 for the plane ticket to SLC, $8 on the straight razors, and $60 for the liquor he'd ply me - and himself - with prior to surgery.

Did you do it?!

Comment by Ananth Fri, 02/19/2010 - 11:17

Did you do it?!

Nah. I tried to talk him

Comment by Robert V Aldrich (not verified) Fri, 02/19/2010 - 14:57

Nah. I tried to talk him down under $400, but in doing so, he would had to have used Bud Lite and I'm not about to trust my dental health to anything but quality liquor.

Brace yourself...

Comment by kirbyhm (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 22:06

My dental trauma happened the day I got my braces off. They were fitting me for my retainer and in order for them to get the mold right they told me to put my tounge in the back of my mouth. They kept telling me to put it farther back, farther back. Finally, I put it so far back I actually gagged and threw up all over myself. Problem was I skipped a period of school to get them off so now I had to go back to school and wait for my parents to bring me a new shirt.

I don't want to talk about

Comment by teax2 (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 23:12

I don't want to talk about my teeth online--that's too personal-- but that akinator site guessed Hitsugaya Toshiro,
sonic the hedgehog, Donald Duck, Max Payne, Babe Ruth, and Brave Fencer Musashi (in two tries). How does he read my mind?!
And why can't he ever guess Nobara Sumiyoshi from Crimson Hero?!

Just watched my friend play

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 02/18/2010 - 23:54

Just watched my friend play through bayonetta a few weeks ago. Got through normal no problem but the Hard level is seriously hard. AND there's a difficulty after hard that must be impossible. Cool story though.

Oh my.

Comment by Skie (not verified) Fri, 02/19/2010 - 00:30

Bwrrkrkgg indeed. This is one of those moments where we all happily look back and go "No more dental issues!"... except we'd all be wrong. (Curses!)

As for Bayonetta: It's even MORE frustrating sometimes when you're trying for the best scores (which means you can't get hit!). ... I have repeatedly turned the game off in favor of a less-frustrating game (like Final Fantasy 7! Finally replaying that).

...and the Akinator figured out that I was thinking of a Papaya. Neat.

Papaya

Comment by Skie (not verified) Fri, 02/19/2010 - 00:32

Except I can't get him to figure out Papaya again. Apparently there is someone named Papaya and I just happened to answer right?
I DON'T UNDERSTAND ANYMORE.

Thanks a lot.

Comment by Steve (not verified) Fri, 02/19/2010 - 05:27

Now I'll have to try to stave off ANOTHER Papaya craving.