Just looking at the comic makes my teeth hurt

EDIT: I FORGOT! Yuko and I make a little cameo in a recent edition of Jamie Noguchi's Yellow Peril - first panel!

And that's the conclusion of Yuko's dental travails. Reading through the comments on the last comic, you guys had an awful lot of stories of your own! I guess dental trauma is a familiar childhood topic.

Paypal is still giving me trouble! I'm shipping all orders, but I'm unable to give some of you confirmation - sorry about that.

Conrad has been playing Bayonetta recently, that game is CRAZY. It's partly a self-aware mash of (vague) pop culture references, which is really amusing and occasionally confounding. It's also a lot of fun to watch (and play, although Conrad will also assure you that it's occasionally very frustrating).

Here is a fun website that most of you probably already know about. (via Rym, Scott and Emily)

As you can tell, I've run out of things to talk about ... have a great weekend, and we'll see you next week!

Comments

Better plan!

Comment by Skie (not verified) Fri, 02/19/2010 - 11:11

No need! Just go to the local supermarket with a meat tenderizer in-hand and go to town on the papaya stack. Eat any bits you can get your hands on. Run from the cops.

It's the PERFECT plan!

erm...

Comment by Steve (not verified) Sat, 02/20/2010 - 03:06

Papaya is actually a dingy little mom-and-pop fast food place right next to our subway station.

>_>

<_<

*fkees*

Well okay, then!

Comment by Skie (not verified) Sat, 02/20/2010 - 15:12

I would have never thought that. Oh the glory of ignorance! :'(
I've heard of Gray's Papaya (and eaten there)... so it was either that or the fruit itself.

I still think my plan is A+.

dental pain, and all sorts of fun

Comment by Demon Sun (not verified) Fri, 02/19/2010 - 00:37

Speaking of dental pain, my last week has been absolutely wonderful. On Tuesday last week, I acquired a sore throat, which then progressed into extreme pain in my wisdom teeth. This wonderful pain was an abscess, this had to be cleaned without any numbing, which was wonderful. And this all resulted in me having all four of my wisdom teeth which were impacted pulled today. Oh, and this was a vacation week for me, oh how my luck sucks.

OMG

Comment by Elizabeth B (not verified) Fri, 02/19/2010 - 01:20

DDDD:

The fun of dentistry

Comment by Elizabeth B (not verified) Fri, 02/19/2010 - 01:19

Augh. I had four impacted wisdom teeth and woke up during the procedure... I think they were afraid of overdosing me on anaesthesia because I was so tiny. I'm glad your extraction went well, Yuko.

If you suffer from sensitivity, you might want to ask your dentist about a prescription toothpaste. I have generalized sensitivity that's responded well to that. Don't know if it would work on your problem, though.

That can't possibly hurt...

Comment by Neko (not verified) Fri, 02/19/2010 - 01:20

UGH! I've been there, root canal and all. Is it just me, or are all dentists only familiar with a vague textbook definition of pain? They've heard of this human experience called 'pa-in', but don't actually understand it.

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 02/19/2010 - 01:24

a minute of silence for the pain and suffering you went though ... :'( (hope you enjoyed the treat! i sent it :D)

Ooch. o_o

Comment by Derek (not verified) Fri, 02/19/2010 - 02:04

I really don't envy you Yuko, it sounds like you got the short end of the dental stick with all those procedures!

And for the red heads, I can relate as I am one, to relative resistance to anesthetic. Three ampules of anesthetic and I still hurt from drilling even with a numb face. X_x

Perhaps someday we'll have nanites fixing our teef!

TEEF!

Comment by Samuraiartguy (not verified) Fri, 02/19/2010 - 02:14

Oh GODS....

I have been blessed with generally good health.. and teeth that seem to dissolve on contact with AIR. I think I have spent more between my nose and chin than the rest of my body. There's enough metal and ceramic in my mouth to build an iPod.

And nothing gives you that "I'm my father" feeling quite like that first bit of "Old guy" gear... a dentu— ... dental appliance.

Ooh, dental stories!

Comment by Pimp Chickens (not verified) Fri, 02/19/2010 - 02:21

Since everyone's sharing, I have a couple dental related horror stories.

Back in middle school, I was running late for the bus. Running down the sidewalk, I tripped and smacked my face against the concrete. All I knew was suddenly I had a ton of pain in my front tooth, and even more pain when I breathed in through my mouth. When I saw my reflection in the bus window, it turns out I chipped off half of my front tooth and exposed the nerve. When we finally got to school, I went straight to the nurse's office to call my parents. They picked me up and took me to the dentist who, thankfully, was able to work on me right away. The only thing they had to prevent pain at the time was Novocain. I had to take a full shot of it right to the front of the gums. Didn't really help with the exposed nerve at all, especially when they had the drill or whatever they used to shape the new mold on or near it.

Again in middle school, the basketball team I played on had just won the biggest game in the season. We were celebrating by shooting some hoops. While I was looking away, the ball rebounded of the hoop and hit me in the back of the head. I felt fine except it hurt to breath in again. Eventually, someone pointed at me and told me what happened. I had no idea at the time that MY TOOTH MOLD HAD BEEN SMACKED OUT. Cue the exposed nerve again, which really sucked because I couldn't eat and we were just about to have a pizza party celebrating our victory. Also, the dentist wasn't in, so I had to wait overnight before they could work on me.

Not exactly dental pain, but close enough. In high school, I had to have some fillings. Not really a big deal, and had a great new dentist who had a bit more advanced dental technology (laser sensors, sandblasting, etc.). I heard that he also hires girls in bikinis to mow the grass outside his office during the summer, but that's a different story that I don't know. He still used Novocain for the pain, but thankfully was in the back of the mouth, so it didn't hurt. Also, the shot was administered by machine, making sure that it was being injected at the right speed. He knew from notes by my previous dentist that I had a problem with Novocain and so I should speak up if I needed more. Jump forward an hour or so and I'm back in school. It's currently gym class and I'm scraping my bottom lip with my teeth because it feels weird and completely numb. Suddenly, I get hit in the back of the head with a basketball. I still can't feel anything except a chuck of something in my mouth and some bleeding. I run the the restroom and look in the mirror. Thankfully, my tooth was fine, by instead I had a giant chuck missing from my bottom lip. Cue two weeks of having a huge, painful patch of pus on the inside of my lip. The whole thing left a tiny bump on the inside of my mouth that I still have to this day.

Also, my tooth mold is slowly chipping away. The dentist says that when it gets to a certain point that he's just going to cap it.

Sorry!

Comment by Pimp Chickens (not verified) Fri, 02/19/2010 - 02:28

Long post is longest post.

Sorry.

SMILE begins with the exact

Comment by Ananth Fri, 02/19/2010 - 11:19

SMILE begins with the exact same unfortunate event ... !

Yuko's lucky...I had a root

Comment by Seph (not verified) Fri, 02/19/2010 - 02:25

Yuko's lucky...I had a root canal at the age of 8...but that's not even the worst part. Most of my enamel got blasted away (Apparently) by a high fever I had when I was an infant, so my teeth, being unprotected, have been deteriorating since forever. I'm 19 now...and in need of currently four dental implants which will cost around $30,000 my parents cannot pay (Because my mother already has us $20k in debt on credit cards...).

Sigh... ;[

Aw man, I know the

Comment by Alexie (not verified) Fri, 02/19/2010 - 02:29

Aw man, I know the feeling..
My 1st molars came thru rotten, So I had to get them removed.
When I was 18 My wisdom teeth came thru PAINFULLY might I add during my final high school exams, I was living off teething gel for a month...

Then it turns out, Because I had my first molars out my wisdom teeth have fallen in on themselves making a pocket in my gums making it the perfect breeding ground for plaque and bacteria...

Solution: Floss and Mouthwash.

Hope you don't have the same problem, also With the layed up in bed for a long time and loosing all that weight, When I first got the infection in my gums I was in bed for 2 weeks, I lost 10kg in body mass, I was so sick X___X

owww

Comment by Jan (not verified) Fri, 02/19/2010 - 03:30

Poor Yuko! :(

My teeth have been rather healthy so far, I guess the troubles will arrive any moment now.

Good luck wif ur teef!

my epic fail tonsil removal

Comment by Katsoup (not verified) Fri, 02/19/2010 - 03:44

My dentist said the same thing about my tonsils so I went to get them removed. 5 days after the surgery, the wounds in my mouth burst open and a bucket of clotted blood came rushing out. Some of it stuck to my tongue so I had this 2nd tongue-looking thing dangling out of my mouth. After 10 minutes of this, I realized that this incident would be hilarious in 24 hours. So I got my horrified little sister to take a picture of me before I was rushed to the hospital. I still have the picture. I looked like a japanese horror film :D happy timesssssss

Well this is horribly

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 02/19/2010 - 05:06

Well this is horribly familiar. I'm being given the choice between root canal and extraction for one of my large number of incredibly dodgy teeth, and this comic has just sealed my decision: extraction all the way!

Dude...I feel for you...

Comment by Cat (not verified) Fri, 02/19/2010 - 07:43

I've had braces for almost 2 1/2 years, and it sucks butt (especially since my 21st birthday is coming up...), but my teeth were SO bad before then. My bite was off, I had two major cavities that were horrible to deal with, and I had a baby tooth that didn't decide to come out until my adult tooth grew in behind it (ok, I was a wuss and didn't want to pull it out...but never the less).

I remember when I first got my braces tightened; I had to gnaw on everything or drink stuff. I think I lost 17 lbs. in 3 months. Braces and most dental procedures should be considered weight loss programs...And I may have to get a root canal. I hope not!

Though, one thing I don't understand...why do dentists/orthodontists insist on talking to you when three peoples hands are shoved in your mouth? I'll never understand them...

Another Root Canal Story

Comment by Staggerpuss (not verified) Fri, 02/19/2010 - 07:49

Hey guys,

We were on holiday last year swimming with humpback whales in Tonga (which was amazing by the way!) and I start getting this continuous pain in my crowned tooth, and what the hell could I do, we're on a (beautiful) desert island miles from any kind of civilisation, I was damn lucky that out of the 12 people on our trip 1 was an Australian dentist! She didn't even need to look at my tooth and she said I had an abscess and I should have been on antibiotics days ago. Then another bit of luck one of the other girls on the trip had stubbed her toe really badly before coming out so had some antibiotics that she now didn't need because the salt water had really cleaned it up.

So when we got home I went to the dentist, they took an x-ray and I have a 9mm hole in my bone!

So they do the root canal and apparently I have such an odd shaped root that if this works and they don't have to do an implant then he's going to get this published, how cool is that!

Oh goodness!

Comment by Katie (not verified) Fri, 02/19/2010 - 12:07

Much sympathy for you Miss Aido! Must say, I am going though the same tonsil/wisdom tooth battle right now! Had no idea that that was even a possible factor. When my dentist told me I actually laughed cause I assumed he was kidding. Followed by the 'WHAT.' face D: Also, that 'Surprisingly painless!' face is adorable.

AWWW Yeah!

Comment by Valis_kr3 (not verified) Fri, 02/19/2010 - 12:22

Panel 2 is the sexiest I've ever seen Yuko.

Speaking as someone who was

Comment by Dan (not verified) Fri, 02/19/2010 - 13:20

Speaking as someone who was in braces for eleven years (yes, really), I appreciate these comics like I don't even have the words to express.

6) lots of temporary caps

Comment by dan (not verified) Fri, 02/19/2010 - 13:22

6) lots of temporary caps for my front teeth as I refuse to have them filed down

You were so, so right to do this.

Who needs tonsils

Comment by Lew (not verified) Fri, 02/19/2010 - 14:16

Who needs tonsils anyway??

*greetings from Lew who had eight root canals, 4 wisdom teeths and a molar removal in the past few years*

I wonder...

Comment by Drezz (not verified) Fri, 02/19/2010 - 15:23

Not to sound negative or anything, but have you gotten a second opinion on some of your dental ailments?

I've had three dentists in my lifetime. The first was a kind old Finn who used to tell stories while the hygienist did their work. When he retired, I was forced to go to this weasel who caused more problems than good.

He forced my mom to get a tooth yanked, performed a bridge, botched it and then had to fix it after two teeth were infected... etc. My dad was even worse - two root canals, claiming he had gingivitis and gum disease when he didn't and all this other baloney.

Then with me, he kept trying to soak the insurance company by forcing me to get x-rays each visit (at 900 a pop) because of a tooth he was "worried" about that had a hairline crack. He also put in a filling improperly, which I had to get fixed last month, and said due to family history, I may have onset gingivitis like my dad.

I switched dentists, he reviewed my history and when I told him who my former dentist was, he rolled his eyes as if to say "Oh - THAT guy."

There's nothing wrong with my teeth. Gingivitis is only hereditary in rare cases of blood disorders.

Yuko, maybe some of your problems might be diagnosed as something else and treatable. Have you always had the same dentist?

Akinator

Comment by Andrew K. (not verified) Fri, 02/19/2010 - 23:08

Yuko, did you know that you're on akinator?

.........

Comment by Gleevee (not verified) Fri, 02/19/2010 - 23:39

Holy ow. Tonsil removal sucks - but wisdom tooth removal on top of it? OW OW OW. My worst dental experience was with a bad dentist. He forgot to sedate me during my root-canal and Wisdom Teeth removal.

"Ready for the drill?"
"But you didn't gas m-"
*Veeeeeeeeee*
"FTHSPTHSBTHSTHSLRTHS"

Right after that the Wisdom teeth were pulled. Violently. Needless to say I couldn't speak, let alone chew for an entire week. That was a horrible dentist....

Nerves

Comment by Mark J (not verified) Sat, 02/20/2010 - 01:28

It occurs to me to share a tale with you.

When growing up, I too had a good deal of dental work done, minus the braces. My wisdom teeth came out after an extensive surgery wherein one tooth was unscrewed from my jaw, the root having _twice_ looped around the nerve.

My early dentist (ages 8-15) was in fact Torquemada reborn. One memorable visit went something like this: "You can't possibly be feeling that; you've had four ampules of freezing. You're just fussing." I wasn't, you see; I could feel it all quite keenly for the whole hour the work took. Just charming.

After many years and more than a few dentists I finally have a truly educated dentist, and an answer: we have discovered that I am a mutant, of sorts. I have an extra nerve innervating my lower jaw. (Upper jaw work has never caused me much grief, but I hadn't made the distinction before the revelation.)This is not actually uncommon, it seems, and is easily defeated; all the dentist has to do is apply the needle further up the jaw, catching the nerve before it bifurcates. Since this revelation I've had two root canals that were for the most part painless. Perhaps you are similarly mutated? Talk to your dentist about this, see what they think, hey? Good luck, and thanks for the art.

-M

*high five*

Comment by pati (not verified) Sat, 02/20/2010 - 23:54

I'm a mutant, too! except I didn't have to have dental work done-- when they found my mum's bifurcating nerve, they checked me for it. :P

Somehow I have always been

Comment by TheEFAF (not verified) Sat, 02/20/2010 - 03:17

Somehow I have always been lucky with my teeth. I used to have a gap in my front teeth as a child and my dentist pushed hard to give me braces but I absolutely refused. Two years later? All my molars filled in and pushed my front two teeth together.

Then I freaked for a while at the thought of getting my wisdom teeth out. I had two on the top and one was impacted. I was worried about how I would deal with being properly drugged, and also how much pain I'd be coming out and if I'd have food get stuck in the hole afterwards and cause an infection like what happened in no less then three (!) people I knew. Turns out I felt absolutely nothing, the drugs didn't even make me loopy, and I didn't need a single one of the painkillers they described me. I was so pain-free I was amazed. It was like I had never had the surgery.

It's a good thing that as a child my parents made sure to get me a dentist that had a liscence for anasthesia. They did the same favor for me when I got my wisdom teeth out because by then I found out my body hated needles. They make me swell up terribly and hurt horribly whenever they're put in, no matter how skilled the nurse. Turns out that even though I was supposed to be painless from the anasthesia, the IV they put into me before the wisdom teeth surgery made me thrash about so much in pain that they had to hold me down. I hope I never have to get hooked up to a bunch of IVs in the hospital because needles in me hurt so bad.

Dental Woes

Comment by Aperture (not verified) Sat, 02/20/2010 - 12:32

I've been through a lot myself.

When I was about 5 I had my four front teeth removed due to some weird development problem, I've had a crown, roughly 14 OTHER teeth removed due to crowding and infection from god knows what, countless cavities (most of this was all on my baby teeth, so all's good), and two rounds of braces (with a surgery or two to expose a tooth that was not where it should have come out).

About 5 years ago, I went to get my wisdom teeth removed, but they could only pull the bottom ones (which were compacted) since the top ones were too close to my sinus cavity and they didn't want to do any serious damage to me.

Not fun, but I haven't had any real problems with my teeth or mouth in general since they removed my bottom wisdom teeth and my second set of braces.

Two root canals. one year

Comment by Dan (not verified) Sat, 02/20/2010 - 13:15

Two root canals. one year apart. Both on the lower jaw. Dentist says that if I ever have a root canal on the upper jaw it will be significantly more painful.

Problem is that I've blocked out the pain from my root canals...

Dental Trauma ftw.

Damn yuko!

Comment by Noice Spoice (not verified) Sat, 02/20/2010 - 16:37

Been a reader for a very long time, been a quiet fan :)

I feel your pain Yuko, I was born with very very weak enamel on all my teeth, they crack and break all the time and im in constant pain. I've had 9 root canals (yay for dental insurance)

Currently looking at droppin a ton of money on veneres or however you spell em... :(

aurgh! get a second opinion

Comment by pati (not verified) Sat, 02/20/2010 - 23:39

That happened to my mom. You know what they eventually found? That although they had only taken out one because most people only have one per tooth, she had TWO NERVES there Some people just do. get a cat scan or an MRI of your jaw or something. No reason to let them keep thinking that there's no nerve there-- they'll NOT numb it every time you have dental work, and pain sucks.

~someone who deals with chronic pain anyway -.-

Amazing

Comment by Reverence (not verified) Sun, 02/21/2010 - 02:42

Akinator even figured out I was thinking of Jeph Jacques and Yuko. Gonna try Ananth next.

It was November 30 '07 that

Comment by BurntToShreds (not verified) Sun, 02/21/2010 - 04:04

It was November 30 '07 that I got my wisdom teeth out. They gave me a pill to make me drowsy first. After I took it, I went back into the waiting room to play pokemans on my DS. About 10 or so minutes after that I got drowsy. My mind goes blank at the point where I'm being led to the op room. Next thing I know I'm in the chair and my mouth is numb; they were all done. I got some bandages/gauze stuffed in my cheeks, what with the stitched-up-as-best-you-can holes in the back of my mouth.

You're going to hate me. I

Comment by Yugosaki (not verified) Sun, 02/21/2010 - 04:32

You're going to hate me.

I lost two top molars in high school, one on each side of my mouth. When my top wizdom teeth came in, they pushed the molars and filled the gap perfectly, no pain. The gap is filled and I didn't need to get them removed. Chances are the bottom ones won't come in since no one in my family got them either.

It's not without problems though. My front teeth are crooked as hell. But I don't care.

You know, recently my

Comment by Telruya (not verified) Mon, 02/22/2010 - 13:35

You know, recently my orthodontist informed me my wisdom teeth were impacted and could be removed, but said it would be a bad idea as surgery could damage a nerve in the jaw, which was displayed with an x-ray, Did your dentist not mention this to you?

Dental woes

Comment by Sulnius (not verified) Mon, 02/22/2010 - 17:12

Luckily mine haven't been that bad, but braces really sucked. The orthodontist I had traveled from location to location and really didn't care if you were hurting or not. Heaven forbid they don't cut the wires to the correct length, that stupid wax drops off in 5 seconds and you're left with a wire gouging the inside of your mouth. :/

Had my tonsils & adenoids out when I was 10. I couldn't talk for 3 days afterward. My dad's in the hospital saying "What's wrong with you? That other kid is fine and you're just making noise. Stop it.". Gee, thanks dad. I'm 10! Jerk. :P About the 4th day I regained speech (guess I'd healed up enough for everything to work properly), but the other kid in the room had major complications & had to go back for more surgery. My dad finally shut up after hearing that. :P

I had 4 teeth filled without novocain once, just to see what it was like. Won't make that mistake again! It wasn't horrific, but by the time they got near the end I'd had enough. My dentist is good, but she's this big butch lesbian and was all "I'm almost done! Suck it up! Raaar!". lol

Surprisingly painless?

Comment by MentalUproar (not verified) Mon, 02/22/2010 - 20:43

Yikes! I just had mine done today. 4 hours later I was screaming in pain! A percocet, ibuprofen, and bag of frozen corn later, I'm doing much better.

Unfortunately, I now crave a cheeseburger. :(

OMGOMGOMGOMG

Comment by Zsy (not verified) Tue, 02/23/2010 - 08:32

AKINATOR GUESSED THAT I WAS THINKING OF YUKO!!! XD

Bad Dentist Experiences

Comment by Kat (not verified) Tue, 02/23/2010 - 16:13

I had two teeth pulled by my dentist. Problem was, they didn't tell me or my mom that they were going to pull them.

I realized something was up when they wheeled in the needles and the nitrous tank.

I think that was the only time I ever drew blood, I don't like needles and I don't like people poking their fingers in my mouth.

Did end up getting the teeth pulled, they were baby teeth that got stuck or something and the adult teeth were coming in behind them.

Getting braces was my next horrible life experience. Two years of painful hell and the end product is hardly different than the beginning. Total pointless waste of money. I should've sued.

Dental Problems...

Comment by Koro (not verified) Wed, 02/24/2010 - 07:12

I'm going through something like that right now. I've got about six cavities. And I brush/floss THREE times a day.

Dentist just says I have weak teeth.

...Yaaaay root canal...

-sob-

Dental Woes

Comment by Sonikku (not verified) Mon, 03/01/2010 - 09:14

I've had fun with my teeth as well...
4th grade - ran my bike into a tree, broke off most of my right incisor. When I had the emergency trip to the dentist my mouth was already throbbing so much i never noticed the needle being stuck in my gums before having it all fixed up.

That then led half of the other fun I had later.

8th grade - due to hitting that tree, my face grew slightly lopsided. Had a tooth pulled in preperation for...

8th-11th grade - braces! I had a big gap between my front teeth as well and if I hadn't hit the tree it would've just been retainers. But then because I did that all of my teeth on my upper jaw were shifted left of where they should be cause the right side of my upper jaw is shorted than the left. Was fun going into the orthodontist's office every month and most of the time have them tightened down some more to keep moving them around -_- dental pain doesn't affect me much anymore.

1th grade - braces came out early that year, but I had to wear a retainer all the time for the rest of it. then it was just at night. I'm still supposed to wear it on occasion, but that would require me finding it....

12th grade - just before actually I had to have my wisdom teeth removed. They didn't break the surface and wern't going to. But they had to come out because they would've pushed against my molars and messed up my straightened teeth. Fortunately I was knocked out for this. Unfortunately I wasn't able to run for the cross-country team that year cause I had to miss the first couple months.

age 23 - 1st cavity. wasn't a terrible experience, but I had regular dentists.

age 25 - when i had a bad bike wreck, chipped a tooth. While I was in the hospital and not all the feeling was quite back in my face/neck, I thought the chip was where I had cracked the tooth in half or something XD

later last year - another cavity. Terrible time. funky metal filling. stupid military dentists.

...wtf?? my brother's tooth did what?!?

Comment by Becky (not verified) Sun, 06/20/2010 - 01:59

My brother has some interesting dental tales of his own.... For one thing, one of his front teeth is frequently missing... we take him to the dentist to "put it back in", so to speak... but it keeps falling out... its kinda a running joke know... Also, one of his molars did this weird thing called 'resorption', where the tooth kills itself from the inside out.... o.O Apparently this is usually an older people thing,... but... (btw, hes only 17).... yeaaah....

P.S.

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Sun, 06/20/2010 - 02:11

P.S. his front tooth used to be chipped, because when he was six, he was swinging on a metal gate in a playground, and hit his mouth on it. He told the people watching us kids, "Don't tell mom!"

Wisdom teeth

Comment by Joisy (not verified) Mon, 06/28/2010 - 05:56

I wanted to remove my wisdom teeth. What is a easiest way to remove it. Its paining very badly. I loose 5 kg weight due to this pain and I am scared to seat in Detal chair. Please advise. Also I wanted to know about cialis. Are there any side effects of it.

...the fact that I need to

Comment by Elkian (not verified) Mon, 06/28/2010 - 15:48

...the fact that I need to get my wisdom teeth out sometime this year is not being helped...

I had this comment in mind

Comment by AmberTDD (not verified) Tue, 06/29/2010 - 16:40

I had this comment in mind when I went in for my first ever surgery to get my wisdom teeth taken out. You are right. 8'D