Comics on the road

Comics on the road

Thu, 03/04/2010 - 19:53 by Ananth in response to spectacular dinosaur failure

Hey guys! Today's comic cameos Aaron Diaz, master of all things Dresden Codak. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of dinosaurs that dwarfs Yuko's (it is pretty jaw-dropping!). Aaron's now our lifeline for all things dinosaur. We've been hanging out at the studio that he and Meredith Gran share -- the space is pretty huge, and I'm a little jealous. Also, Heidi is the raddest lil' doggie.

Also pictured are George (who you know) and Louie, who is also a pretty great artist we're hanging with. Check out her LJ here.

Portland is nice! There's an impressive variety of food here ... so far we've had Korean tacos + burritos, a walnut/honey/pear/gorgonzola crepe, an avocado/basil/coconut milk milkshake, a fried cherry chocolate pie ... Portland's going to be the end of us. I will leave here the fattest.

We're outta here! Enjoy the weekend guys, we'll see you next Tuesday.

Comments

I like Spinosaurus better...

Comment by Andrew (not verified) Thu, 03/04/2010 - 20:10

At least Parasaurolophus looks like it could be another LOL critter. But I've always had trouble with names like those. I prefer names like, Cat, and Dog. Yeah, those are nice. :)

Food sounds good! Man, I just ate too.

First thing I thought of...

Comment by szark (not verified) Thu, 03/04/2010 - 20:16

"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

Obviously the dinosaurs are different, but the pose is similar.

And you all know way too much about dinosaurs. ;)

And we shall name this land... "This Land"

Comment by heather (not verified) Fri, 03/05/2010 - 14:17

I'm wearing a shirt that says that right now...and I thought of that too :D Go nerds!

Fried cherry chocolate pie piqued my interest. It sounds like something insanely unhelathy but sooo worth it. How does it taste?

I knew those dinosaurs

Comment by Jack K (not verified) Thu, 03/04/2010 - 20:30

I knew those dinosaurs immediately, but only because they're in Animal Crossing City Folk.

I don't know if that's sad or not.

Oh wait, they aren't

Comment by Jack K (not verified) Thu, 03/04/2010 - 20:53

Oh wait, they aren't dinosaurs are they?

Man, I'm just not good with dinosaurs... Or non-dinosaurs...

Dimetrodon is a reptile.

Comment by Jeremy (not verified) Mon, 03/08/2010 - 20:43

Dimetrodon is a reptile. Parasaurolophus is a dinosaur tho.

Jeez Yuko

Comment by paper11 (not verified) Thu, 03/04/2010 - 20:31

You don't even know even know what a dimetrodon is? SHAME!
Also, Iguanodon's are easy to remember because they're cool and like to stick their thumbs up (or at least out).

Free (pseudo)dinosaurs are

Comment by Jiminiminy (not verified) Thu, 03/04/2010 - 20:50

Free (pseudo)dinosaurs are pretty great, but I guess you get what you pay for in the accuracy department.

Wait...

Comment by Matt B. (not verified) Thu, 03/04/2010 - 20:52

You mean... Dimetrodons AREN'T dinosaurs? So my favorite dinosaur as a kid was a lie? Further proof my childhood was lame.

If it makes you feel any better

Comment by paper11 (not verified) Thu, 03/11/2010 - 02:51

Dimetrodon is older than the dinosaurs

They're... OUR ancestors...

Comment by Hikki536 (not verified) Thu, 03/04/2010 - 21:36

Dimetrodons are apparently one of the earliest link to the evolution of mammals. Mostly because the way their teeth are arranged is getting closer to mammals.

Hold on!

Comment by Lalala (not verified) Thu, 03/04/2010 - 21:54

Parasaurolophus is my favorite! And although I remember Dimetrodons aren't really dinosaurs, I think Parasarolophus are. Wikipedia agrees! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasaurolophus

I think he was just talking

Comment by paper11 (not verified) Thu, 03/11/2010 - 02:55

I think he was just talking about the dimetrodon and it's just that the sentence is a little awkward.

Aw yeah inaccuracies.

Comment by Kosciej (not verified) Thu, 03/04/2010 - 22:28

Did you guys know that brontosaurus(es?) are actually another name for an Apatosaur? Some guy thought they were a different species, and that's kind of persisted to this day. Kind of like how they though Iguanodons walked on four legs and all that jazz. It is very serious business.

Even if he's right. . .

Comment by Arcc (not verified) Thu, 03/04/2010 - 22:33

Even if he's right. . . Dimetrodon is still my favorite.

wh-wait

Comment by Skourja (not verified) Thu, 03/04/2010 - 23:17

Why was there a bucket of free dinosaurs and why aren't there any where I am.

..;__;

Is that Louie? MR. LOUIE?

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Thu, 03/04/2010 - 23:20

Is that Louie? MR. LOUIE? PIE IS I? OMG. /fangasms

And the two of you are adorable with your dinosaur fixation.

Ah my thoughts exactly! When

Comment by tine (not verified) Fri, 03/05/2010 - 01:51

Ah my thoughts exactly! When I read that it was Louie, I was like "... wut? noooooo" then I clicked the link and was like "OMG WUT! IOFHANSVKGOISNFE:GN" and then I died.

:D

IT'S LIKE A CHRISTMAS

Comment by Anonymous (not verified) Fri, 03/05/2010 - 12:16

IT'S LIKE A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE :D

/dies with you

Other Saurs

Comment by Softspoken (not verified) Thu, 03/04/2010 - 23:23

At least you'll always have the theasaurus.

Isn't that...

Comment by Mev (not verified) Fri, 03/05/2010 - 17:51

Isn't that a big book of words? XD

I think Aaron's wrong.

Comment by Matt (not verified) Fri, 03/05/2010 - 00:24

Because while he might be right about the dimetrodon, that's definitely a ParasauroLOLphus.

HEYOOOOOOO.

Wait.

Comment by Sarah (not verified) Fri, 03/05/2010 - 15:50

Wouldn't ParasauLOLophus roll better?

Fret Contest

Comment by Skie (not verified) Fri, 03/05/2010 - 00:25

I think Yuko has managed to out-fret Gonta?

That level of fretting

Comment by Hikki536 (not verified) Fri, 03/05/2010 - 01:09

The highest level of fretting I have achieved involved me literally feeling the blood draining away from my cheeks, and my knees shaking... shaking... shaking...
I hope that's not what Yuko was feeling.

Oh man, I can't believe I

Comment by Tillie (not verified) Fri, 03/05/2010 - 00:35

Oh man, I can't believe I already knew each of those dino facts... AND I had a (bipedal) Spinosaurus toy. Not to mention Parasaurolophus is my favorite dino (yeah suck it, Velociraptors!).

I had the same thought . . .

Comment by Matthew (not verified) Fri, 03/05/2010 - 01:09

As soon as I read the second panel, I thought "No that's a . . . "

Also, I like to imagine that Aaron came running from miles away, having felt a dino-disturbance in the force. It was as if a million voices cried out in terror . . . and then were suddenly silenced.

One day I decided to take a

Comment by Eric Metz (not verified) Fri, 03/05/2010 - 01:31

One day I decided to take a break from prep work and wander around the museum upstairs, something I've done a million times. I stopped to look at my favorite display (A Moasaur skull I call Moe) when a little boy walked up with his mother and pointing said to his mother "look mom a lizard." To which the mother replied "no hunny, dinosaurs weren't lizards remember?"
For those that don't know Moasaurs were reptiles, not dinosaurs...Now I don't know if the boy was intentionally right or not, but that mother needs to read the display card before correcting her son.

Dude, I'm a dinosaur nerd

Comment by KS Claw (not verified) Fri, 03/05/2010 - 02:24

Dude, I'm a dinosaur nerd too, but I don't act like an ass when someone gets things wrong.

I've always mispronounced it

Comment by Smee (not verified) Fri, 03/05/2010 - 03:36

I've always mispronounced it as ParasauROFLus, I see no reason to stop now.

The best doughnuts

Comment by A guy from portland (not verified) Fri, 03/05/2010 - 05:11

If you leave Portland without going to Voodoo Doughnuts, you will regret it for the rest of your life. *

* Disclaimer: any depression due to lack of Voodoo Doughnuts elsewhere in the world is not my fault.

Hmm....clearly I have not

Comment by Jonathan B (not verified) Fri, 03/05/2010 - 07:00

Hmm....clearly I have not kept up on my dinosaurs. Twenty years ago, when I was a kid, a Brontosaurus was still a Brontosaurus. I think the change to Apatosaur came right about the time I stopped paying so much attention to them.

However, my FIRST thought was exactly the same as szark. You should have looked at Aaron and said "Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!" :) Not only a fitting quote, but even fitting in context!

painful memories

Comment by DisposablePal (not verified) Fri, 03/05/2010 - 07:19

i know how Yuko feels. i'm still traumatized after being called out for being wrong while watching Jurassic Park 3 with some friends. I was quiet for the rest of the movie.

re: painful memories

Comment by Sarah (not verified) Fri, 03/05/2010 - 15:51

Isn't watching Jurassic Park 3 painful enough as it is?

Where are you that there's a

Comment by Jordan (not verified) Fri, 03/05/2010 - 09:02

Where are you that there's a bucket of free dinosaurs/non-dinos?

[Insert gasp here]

Comment by Novarri (not verified) Fri, 03/05/2010 - 09:41

I've always been a fan of Dresden Codak, but Aaron definitely got some +awesome points for knowing his dinosaurs.

Then some +jerk points for making Yuko fret.

Anyway, You guys should find two carnivores and then attack Aaron with them. That'd be a proper revenge, methinks (and then I could get back to liking D.C. without feeling guilty about it ;D).

In an unrelated note, do you hand-write all of the text in the comic? Also you write "a" and "g" like I do (if it is indeed handwritten), so that's awesome.

Dino-Riders

Comment by Nathan (not verified) Fri, 03/05/2010 - 09:55

Ananth, did you ever watch the Dino-Riders cartoon of the 80's?
It was the reason I became a dinosaur fanatic as a kid, which still carries on to this day, but perhaps not as extensively. They should make a Dino-Riders movie!

portland

Comment by freakish.neko (not verified) Fri, 03/05/2010 - 10:15

portland where?

Free Dinos?

Comment by Snazziosity (not verified) Fri, 03/05/2010 - 11:38

I'm from Portland... where's the bucket of free dinosaurs?

I agree with a guy from Portland. Voodoo doughnuts is definitely a place to visit (SW 3rd and Burnside, I believe?). SE Hawthorne Street around 37th has a lot of unique shops, and so do NW 21st and NW 23rd (which has Papa Haydn's - they have great deserts, and Urban Fondue, great fondue)... Powell's City of Books is huuuuuge (takes up a whole city block... can't miss it on NW Burnside). I recommend dining on the Portland Spirit, a nice boat trip up the Willamette River, and you get to see all the lights at night...

There's too many places to list...

Eee!

Comment by Sarah (not verified) Fri, 03/05/2010 - 15:46

Parasaurolophus...es... are my favorite.

Is it...

Comment by Mev (not verified) Fri, 03/05/2010 - 18:01

Parasaurolophusii? (tow i's or one, I don't know)

Darn it.

Comment by Mev (not verified) Fri, 03/05/2010 - 18:04

Eugh, spelling fail. I should learn to proof read.
I meant to say two instead of tow.

Intermingling

Comment by Andyman (not verified) Fri, 03/05/2010 - 16:34

I always love when two comics (or comic artists, for this matter) cross over into the same situation. Especially surprising to see Aaron Diaz here, as he almost never appears in photo nor accurate drawn form. Not to mention, Meredith Gran and Louie.

This page was a fangasm waiting to happen.

...

Comment by Andyman (not verified) Fri, 03/05/2010 - 16:35

Not forgetting that Meredith didn't actually appear, though!

I love how, even as Yuko is

Comment by Jeffro Tull (not verified) Fri, 03/05/2010 - 18:06

I love how, even as Yuko is being traumatized, George has that huge grin on his face!

I wish that there were

Comment by Tessa (not verified) Fri, 03/05/2010 - 20:24

I wish that there were cartons of free dinosaurs in my town.

Girl in the back

Comment by Colin (not verified) Fri, 03/05/2010 - 20:34

I love the girl in the back's expression regarding George's eternal smile.

Re: Dresden Codak and Dinosaurs

Comment by Rezmason (not verified) Fri, 03/05/2010 - 21:13

Don't forget the best dinosaur ever discovered (by Aaron):

CHOMPADOOOON!

I love dinosaurs! <3 You're

Comment by MizSpookie (not verified) Sat, 03/06/2010 - 19:17

I love dinosaurs! <3 You're so lucky, I'd kill for some tiny plastic prehistoric friends. Course if I saw the bucket I'd probably run away with it. Ignoring the cries of small children.

Which may be why there are

Comment by Nik (not verified) Sun, 03/07/2010 - 02:51

Which may be why there are no buckets of tiny plastic prehistoric friends around. :P